[Today at 09:40:38 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU82
[Today at 08:02:41 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fun Graphic - College Basketball Imperialism Map  (Read 8988 times)

LloydsLegs

• All American
Fun Graphic - College Basketball Imperialism Map
« on: December 26, 2018, 03:25:12 PM »
From reddit.  I saw this on twitter a few weeks ago (probably posted by one of my MU bball follows-sorry for not giving credit)  and don't think it has been posted here.  Shows county by county domination in NCAA bball-verse:

"What if college basketball games were battles for land? Every county is the possession of the team located closest to it. If a team is beaten, all of their land is taken by the team to defeat them, regardless of where the game takes place. The only exception is if a team loses to a non-D1 opponent, they will retain their lands to simplify the map."

As of 12/22 (last update) MU currently leads in 3 of 4 categories:  number of counties; total population, number of territories (and is third in total land mass). 

Odd to see Milwaukee owned by Indiana while MU is winning the NCAAM RISK overall battle.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketball/comments/a8s7fq/college_basketball_imperialism_map_december_22/

« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 08:28:33 PM by mu_hilltopper »

MUBigDance

• All American
Re: Fun Graphic - College Basketball Imperialism Map
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 04:06:25 PM »
Ok that has a "Risk" vibe to it and appeals to the strategy-board-game-of-old side of me.

Not to nitpick but not clear on the rules when more than one team has a claim...is it the last team to win a claim on that land...Meaning UWM and MU results apply to Milwaukee county...and I assume its the most recent claim that wins the county....and can you win it back?

In any case great to see we conquered the entire state of Maine

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 04:56:29 PM »
Ok that has a "Risk" vibe to it and appeals to the strategy-board-game-of-old side of me.

Not to nitpick but not clear on the rules when more than one team has a claim...is it the last team to win a claim on that land...Meaning UWM and MU results apply to Milwaukee county...and I assume its the most recent claim that wins the county....and can you win it back?

Well, any county west of Marquette belongs to Marquette (from how I understand it).  UWM is at a disadvantage in that it is hemmed in by Lake Michigan.
Have some patience, FFS.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 05:53:48 PM »

So when the land changes hands it is owned by the new team who would have to them be beaten to lose the land....that's why Virginia owns Madison right now, they beat UW-Madison first so they get that land, whoever beats Virginia next would get that land
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 06:12:56 PM »
So isn't this really only about winning streaks?

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 06:21:52 PM »
So isn't this really only about winning streaks?

Not necessarily. It is about who you beat and what territory you both had when you beat them.  For example, ASU beat an unbeaten Kansas so they got everything that Kansas had. One game against a giant might get you 10 regions or nothing.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 07:00:37 PM »
There's no way this is real

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 07:30:38 PM »
There's no way this is real

There's no way you understand the concept.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 08:24:12 PM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 08:40:24 PM »
They do this every year.  Its good times.   They also do one for undefeated teams.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2018, 10:34:45 PM »
Indiana doesn’t own Milwaukee but Troy and Temple do.

DoggyDaddy

• Team Captain
  • We're Warriors son, not Beagles.
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2018, 10:42:31 AM »
I don't quite get the methodology but it does reflect recent viewing habits; it shows TV exposure and an exciting team have currency across the country in some remarkable places: Redwood country in Northern California, Oregon, the panhandle beaches of Alabama/Florida, finger lakes wine country of upstate NY, the sand hills of Kansas just north of Lawrence and KU for God's sake and of course, pristine Maine. One could make a great vacation or even settle in any of these lovely places and feel at home with its discerning college hoops fans.     

Bricky

• Starter
  • sparkle sparkle
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2018, 11:01:40 AM »
I don't quite get the methodology but it does reflect recent viewing habits; it shows TV exposure and an exciting team have currency across the country in some remarkable places: Redwood country in Northern California, Oregon, the panhandle beaches of Alabama/Florida, finger lakes wine country of upstate NY, the sand hills of Kansas just north of Lawrence and KU for God's sake and of course, pristine Maine. One could make a great vacation or even settle in any of these lovely places and feel at home with its discerning college hoops fans.   

Woosh

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2018, 11:31:45 AM »
Maybe I'm confused, but I don't get how Indiana still has Milwaukee. I get them winning it when they beat Marquette, but wouldn't they have lost it to Arkansas?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2018, 11:37:26 AM »
Maybe I'm confused, but I don't get how Indiana still has Milwaukee. I get them winning it when they beat Marquette, but wouldn't they have lost it to Arkansas?

It looks like Troy currently owns Milwaukee, if you look very closely. Indiana owns northern Illinois from their win over Northwestern.

Temple owns the land between there and Milwaukee, for god knows what reason.

Troy owns Milwaukee by virtue of their win over WKU. WKU beat Arkansas, who beat Indiana.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2018, 11:38:20 AM »

EDIT: 1090 beat me to it
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2018, 11:40:45 AM »
I think it's funny that if you look at the original map we only have 5 counties to start with and two of them are in Michigan. Maybe that's what all those people were getting at when they say Marquette is in Michigan!
TAMU

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2018, 11:42:35 AM »
And the area that Temple owns between Milwaukee and Evanston is because.....

Boston College beat UWM on opening night. BC lost to IUPUI. Who lost to Richmond. Who lost to Loyola Chicago. Who lost to Boston College AGAIN. Who lost to Providence. Who lost to Umass. Who lost to Temple.

I'm calling it a day.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2018, 12:18:24 PM »
This map is cool but it is pretty meaningless. How often you appear is not entirely in your control. Michigan is undefeated and has almost no territory. If you beat someone who just lost you are screwed.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2018, 12:22:32 PM »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2018, 12:24:43 PM »
If St John's wins at Seton Hall and we beat St John's, that will be a big victory for the map. Then hope Providence holds until we play them. I don't see any other Big East teams with territory currently.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2018, 12:38:24 PM »
This map is cool but it is pretty meaningless. How often you appear is not entirely in your control. Michigan is undefeated and has almost no territory. If you beat someone who just lost you are screwed.

Well, they should take that into consideration when making the schedule, now shouldn't they? 
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2018, 12:38:48 PM »
And the area that Temple owns between Milwaukee and Evanston is because.....

Boston College beat UWM on opening night. BC lost to IUPUI. Who lost to Richmond. Who lost to Loyola Chicago. Who lost to Boston College AGAIN. Who lost to Providence. Who lost to Umass. Who lost to Temple.

I'm calling it a day.

I'm calling Bill Walton.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2018, 12:48:26 PM »
Does anyone know if he did the rankings at the beginning of the season?  I have to think that the Big East had one of the smallest land areas of any conference.

DePaul, St. John's, Georgetown, Seton Hall, Providence and Xavier are extremely small (DePaul seems non-existent).  Marquette, Villanova and Butler are all small.  Even Creighton -- which is by far the largest, isn't very big.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2018, 12:51:01 PM »
This is neat, even if completely absent of any real value.   ;)
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

feedback