[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by cheebs09
[Today at 04:00:16 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

If Markus continues to put up 30 and 40 point games, and stays in the conversation for NPOY, do you expect Markus to return for his senior year?

Yes, 80-100% certain he will return.
218 (50.6%)
Probably, 60-80%
149 (34.6%)
Maybe, 40-60%
42 (9.7%)
Probably not, 20-40%
16 (3.7%)
No, 0-20%.  He is ready for the league.
6 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 429

Author Topic: Do you expect Markus back for his senior year?  (Read 48269 times)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: Do you expect Markus back for his senior year?
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2018, 09:44:52 AM »
Yes. He and his family value his degree greatly. Suppose it’s possible with summer school he could graduate this summer, but I highly doubt Markus is going anywhere, even as a First Team All American.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2018, 09:49:09 AM »
I think it is better than 50/50 Markus will be back next year. But there is always a downside to staying: A catastrophic injury before you get that first big check.

Also, no need to talk down on others who made what they felt was the best decision for their future, whether that decision was right or wrong. Loyalty has nothing to do with it. Vander is years in the rear view mirror. Time to let go.

Don't they have insurance for injuries?  If that was a concern, I would think the Howard family would buy it.

And I was not talking down on anyone.  My point was that fight or wrong, his loyalty to Wojo and the team would be an item of consideration in any decision Markus would make.  I don't think that was the case with Vander.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2018, 10:35:33 AM »
I also think Markus (And Sam) know that next year could be special. I expect everyone to be back for a big year.

At the end of this season, Markus might think this was plenty special. What if he's an All-American and MU wins both the BEast and gets to the S16 or further? That's pretty special.

I don't know how many kids who are legitimate NBAers these days think along the lines of "if I come back for another college season, we can be special."

For Sam, it makes more sense because he'd get to play another year with his brother (which I trust he enjoys doing, though long-time observers certainly would know better than I do).

But for the vast majority of kids who have aspirations of playing in the NBA, if enough people (especially people they trust) tell them they should go, that beats chances of a potentially "special" future college season, "loyalty," getting the degree, etc.

Were Markus to leave, it wouldn't mean he suddenly devalues education. He can always get his degree, especially if he is close. It obviously wouldn't mean he's disloyal. (Besides, one probably can find some Arizona State fans who say he has been disloyal.)

I'm guessing that with Markus the decision will be made for similar reasons that most other kids do: If he gets a strong feeling that he will be drafted, he will go; if most people he trust think he needs another year of college, he will stay.

Now, if he likes MU, likes college, likes his teammates, likes his coaches, etc, that does take away one reason to leave despite mediocre draft prospects (Vander obviously wanted to go even though his prospects weren't very good).

In the end, most athletes do what they think will be best for themselves. Which is as it should be.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2018, 10:45:12 AM »
And I was not talking down on anyone.  My point was that fight or wrong, his loyalty to Wojo and the team would be an item of consideration in any decision Markus would make.  I don't think that was the case with Vander.

Of course you were talking down on someone.  If I said "Unlike warriorchick, jsglow is a very bright poster."  You don't think I would be talking down on you?

Regardless, I predict Markus to go through the entire process and leave it until the last moment to pull himself out of the draft. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2018, 11:15:33 AM »
I can't recall .. didn't they tweak the "hiring an agent" thing a few years ago?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2018, 11:51:32 AM »
At the end of this season, Markus might think this was plenty special. What if he's an All-American and MU wins both the BEast and gets to the S16 or further? That's pretty special.

I don't know how many kids who are legitimate NBAers these days think along the lines of "if I come back for another college season, we can be special."

For Sam, it makes more sense because he'd get to play another year with his brother (which I trust he enjoys doing, though long-time observers certainly would know better than I do).

But for the vast majority of kids who have aspirations of playing in the NBA, if enough people (especially people they trust) tell them they should go, that beats chances of a potentially "special" future college season, "loyalty," getting the degree, etc.

Were Markus to leave, it wouldn't mean he suddenly devalues education. He can always get his degree, especially if he is close. It obviously wouldn't mean he's disloyal. (Besides, one probably can find some Arizona State fans who say he has been disloyal.)

I'm guessing that with Markus the decision will be made for similar reasons that most other kids do: If he gets a strong feeling that he will be drafted, he will go; if most people he trust think he needs another year of college, he will stay.

Now, if he likes MU, likes college, likes his teammates, likes his coaches, etc, that does take away one reason to leave despite mediocre draft prospects (Vander obviously wanted to go even though his prospects weren't very good).

In the end, most athletes do what they think will be best for themselves. Which is as it should be.

Miles Bridges did...and he was a lottery pick.

Markus isn’t even first round(or probably second round)

There’s definitely some weight to be put on Education/having a special year.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2018, 01:22:12 PM »
I can't recall .. didn't they tweak the "hiring an agent" thing a few years ago?

Yes.  If memory serves, we're back to 'don't hire an agent and you can withdraw from the draft'.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2018, 01:27:55 PM »
Pure 3 Shooting a premium in NBA. So he has a place. But that’s all he does. Nice drives but needs a floater and handle like Isaiah Thomas which he is far far far from.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2018, 01:35:29 PM »
For those with access to The Athletic......they have Markus at 46 on their big board for 2019

https://twitter.com/sam_vecenie/status/1077238227050815488?s=21

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2018, 02:03:56 PM »
Unlike the last non-lottery-pick player who left MU early for the draft, Markus is a very bright kid who values education, is extremely loyal, and is aware of his current strengths and weaknesses.

There is almost no downside to him staying for his senior year.
He continues to improve, plays another year on a great team that will lose no starters, gets another year of favorable press, and likely picks up some (more) awards.

Chick jr. is on pace to complete her master's degree at Marquette in Spring of 2020, and I when I go the commencement ceremony, I fully expect to see Markus there in his cap and gown.

This.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2018, 02:09:36 PM »
I still think he comes back but the chances of him going pro were less before the Buffalo game then they are today. A few more performances like that and he very well may go.
No Finish Line

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2018, 02:37:18 PM »
Unfourtonately, MH didant wynn da hight sperm lottery. 6 more inches and da cat wood make millions. Of course, 6 more inches on da rest of us and we bee makin' millions two. Just knot playin' hoops, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2018, 03:08:29 PM »
If Markus leads MU to the Final 4 with performances like he has recently.. I could see him leaving, otherwise no

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2018, 03:28:24 PM »
I think it is straight forward . If Markus is consistently on the mock drafts as a first rounder he will go. Right now he is not even on many mock draft boards at all.

I followed the mock draft board below closely during Henry’s season and it ended up pretty accurately predicting where he went. Markus is not listed in the top 100.

https://www.nbadraft.net/ranking/
bigboard

Will keep an eye on this for changes.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2018, 04:13:41 PM »
I'd say there is about a 1% chance Markus leaves Sam and Joey before he's supposed to. That being said, if they win a National Championship this year...that may change things, otherwise, that's his goal I believe.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2018, 06:54:17 PM »
I think he will be gone. I am not sure that is the best decision. However, he skipped his senior year in high school, so that may indicate how confident he is in moving to the next level.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2018, 06:57:40 PM »
I think he will be gone. I am not sure that is the best decision. However, he skipped his senior year in high school, so that may indicate how confident he is in moving to the next level.

There is absolutely no connection between the two. 

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2018, 08:02:33 PM »

You could say nice things about Markus without disparaging Henry you know.  You have no idea how bright and loyal Henry is.  You also have no idea if he values education or not.

Well said.  Unecessary cheap shot by warriorchick
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 08:06:10 PM by Mr. Sand-Knit »
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2018, 09:14:44 PM »
Well said.  Unecessary cheap shot by warriorchick

I wasn't even talking about Henry.  Everyone thought he was a lottery pick before the actual draft happened.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 09:23:30 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2018, 09:35:08 PM »

I wasn't even talking about Henry.  Everyone thought he was a lottery pick before the actual draft happened.

So it was a cheapshot on vander? On whom doesnt really matter, unecessary cheapshot period.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2018, 09:46:03 PM »
So it was a cheapshot on vander? On whom doesnt really matter, unecessary cheapshot period.

What exactly did you consider a cheap shot?
Have some patience, FFS.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2018, 10:25:25 PM »

Of course you were talking down on someone.  If I said "Unlike warriorchick, jsglow is a very bright poster."  You don't think I would be talking down on you?

Regardless, I predict Markus to go through the entire process and leave it until the last moment to pull himself out of the draft.

I find Chick’s posts to be very positive and never demeaning. I believe she added “very bright” just as a compliment to Markus. Syntax can warp semantics, and maybe the feng-shui of her wording was a bit unfortunate. The proximity of “unlike” unfortunately led many to conclude she was being condescending.  The basics of her argument was that Markus truly values his MU education, and that many college ballers today do not, especially NBA-bound kids. FACT.

Sometimes to make a point, one has to compare and contrast situations, and even people.  Feelings get hurt along the way. I doubt Vander or Henry would care one iota if someone pointed out that it appeared that they valued their education a bit less than Markus. Now, if you called them less intelligent, they should be ticked. Chick neither intended nor did this in fact.

Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Boston Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2018, 12:32:45 AM »
The question on the thread... is Markus going to return...,

It has nothing to do with Henry and Vander....

Is a 5’11 shooting guard going to go to the nba? Is he good enough to be a first rounder?

He is obviously talented and going to make money in the European league, g league or nba...

He is also very bright and should earn a degree...

He is also improving each year and gaining attention....

My guess is he stays the full 4 years because he is on an improving team and gaining stature each year. He will continue to improve his value and earn a degree.

It is absolutely not about posters or previous Marquette early entrants in the draft.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2018, 03:33:18 AM »
He will stay 4 years to improve ball handling, point guard skills and to get a degree. Who would advise him not too?
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2018, 10:08:49 AM »
The life time economic value of Markus leading the team to MU's second national championship is also meaningful. That value will endure whether or not Markus pro career is successful. 
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire