[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Punched, hit or grabbed?  (Read 36368 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Punched, hit or grabbed?
« Reply #200 on: December 14, 2018, 03:04:09 PM »
Yeah, that’s a diff b/w some of us. Some say “ok, it makes u feel weird even though it’s not offensive, so it should be changed”

I say, “STFU, get bent ya weirdo. Go cry to your momma” to such things.

Not to be a dick, but do you think that's the Jesuit thing to do?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #201 on: December 14, 2018, 03:04:59 PM »
Please head to the window to collect

9 pages. I'm going to own your house before this is done  ;D
TAMU

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #202 on: December 14, 2018, 03:11:41 PM »
MU03ENG

So gay jokes are OK?

I didn't read it as a gay joke(lots of women think men are abnormally  obsessed with their genitalia). If someone did or you did, that should be taken up with WC
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 03:35:00 PM by mu03eng »
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #203 on: December 14, 2018, 03:18:05 PM »
Would you want (term X) said about your spouse, your children, or your grandchildren?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #204 on: December 14, 2018, 03:37:29 PM »
TAMU

I would say that in 2018 homo is considered a slur by far more people than when I was in college. For me, it comes to the audience for most questionable comments. Recently I overheard two of my nephews rough housing and talking smack. The term homo was tossed around and I was not offended. That said, I did tell them to watch their mouth around there Mom and Grandma.

Back to the 90-33 thread, what were you calling 4ever out on? My gut says his comment was more about getting 'gina out there than be sexist. So his genital joke is not funny or appropriate, but chick's cooment is appropriate?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 03:47:55 PM by Goose »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #205 on: December 14, 2018, 03:53:20 PM »
Lenny

No he doesn’t. Who you crappin?

You realize in my posting history I've called you intelligent, logical, and complimented you many times... sort of insulted yourself on that one 😉
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 04:00:06 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #206 on: December 14, 2018, 04:00:05 PM »
TAMU

I would say that in 2018 homo is considered a slut by far more people than when I was in college. For me, it comes to the audience for most questionable comments. Recently I overheard two of my nephews rough housing and talking smack. The term homo was tossed around and I was not offended. That said, I did not tell them to watch their mouth around there Mom and Grandma.

Back to the 90-33 thread, what were you calling 4ever out on? My gut says his comment was more about getting 'gina out there than be sexist. So his genital joke is not funny or appropriate, but chick's question is appropriate?

So it's a slur for many, but not for all. Given that there is enough in the "many" to have the dictionary list it as a slur and extremely disparaging I think we can say it is a slur for most. So does it have a place here? I would say no.

From what I remember of 4ever's comment he said something along the lines of "those guys must have have vaginas because they are bad at sports." Said another way he was saying "those guys must be girls because they are bad at sports." Personally, I don't like using an entire group of people (in this case girls and women) as an insult. Intentionally or unintentionally, it sends the message that being a woman or being feminine is to be lesser or something to be ashamed of. I like this video, I'm sure they are actors and not real people but I think it does a decent job of expressing some of these thoughts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjJQBjWYDTs&t=98s

I didn't take Chick's comments as trying to put anyone down. I took it as her pointing out the absurdity of a bunch of people thinking about a nut shot to an 18 year old. I think that's hysterical. If you see her comment differently, that's fine. Now if she had said something like "you homos think too much about Joey's crotch" that would be different.

All this being said, I didn't call 4ever a bigot or an a$$hole or tell him he's a terrible person. I didn't report him to the mods or call for him to be silenced. I told him I didn't find his joke funny. Why is that so offensive?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 04:01:51 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #207 on: December 14, 2018, 04:57:20 PM »
Depends on the context. Saying something is queer meaning strange is still acceptable but similar to the "monkeying around" conversation I would be careful about when and where you use it.

Calling a person a queer has been unacceptable for awhile. It is still a slur for people of the LGBTQ community.

Umm doesnt the Q stand for queer.  So let me get academias version? They use the letter but u can say the word or call someone a queer?  I think ur wrong,  wouldnt want to misstep on the righteous path
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #208 on: December 14, 2018, 05:02:20 PM »
Possibly the queerest thread ive ever participated in,  kosher ? Ya or nay?
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #209 on: December 14, 2018, 05:16:48 PM »
Umm doesnt the Q stand for queer.  So let me get academias version? They use the letter but u can say the word or call someone a queer?  I think ur wrong,  wouldnt want to misstep on the righteous path

Lenny had a similar question earlier in the thread. You can read that for the long version. Short version is that the some people say q is questioning others say q is queer. Different people have different opinions on the matter. In general, using queer as an adjective is usually okay (assuming you are using the strange definition or the person actually identifies as queer) e.g. "this person identifies as queer." Using queer as noun is usually not okay e.g. "you're a queer."

Possibly the queerest thread ive ever participated in,  kosher ? Ya or nay?

Assuming you genuinely mean strangest thread then you are good. Though again similar to the conversation about "monkeying around" when talking about a black person, you want to be careful when using it in certain contexts. People might wonder why you choose to use that word when talking about someone who identifies as LGBTQ.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 05:22:17 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

Goose

• All American
« Reply #210 on: December 14, 2018, 05:17:21 PM »
TAMU

I had zero problem with chick’s comment. That said, I would think most people who think she was implying a gay joke. Might not have been her intent, but I think reasonable to take it that way.

Again, if JayBee or someone else said that line, I am not so sure everyone would give the benefit of the doubt. Really goes back to my original point, some on here find fault in anything certain posters say.

You can deny that all day long and I am fine with that. IMO, it often ends up on the person making the comments.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #211 on: December 14, 2018, 05:21:09 PM »
If there was such thing as emotional exercise the last 20 minutes would have been my best circuit workout in weeks.

I covered anger, confusion, annoyance, laughing, sadness (for the future of the world) and enough sarcastic eye rolling to last me a good month.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #212 on: December 14, 2018, 05:27:49 PM »
If there was such thing as emotional exercise the last 20 minutes would have been my best circuit workout in weeks.

I covered anger, confusion, annoyance, laughing, sadness (for the future of the world) and enough sarcastic eye rolling to last me a good month.

You left out PC.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #213 on: December 14, 2018, 05:29:05 PM »
Well done, Willie

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #214 on: December 14, 2018, 05:31:07 PM »
TAMU

I had zero problem with chick’s comment. That said, I would think most people who think she was implying a gay joke. Might not have been her intent, but I think reasonable to take it that way.

Again, if JayBee or someone else said that line, I am not so sure everyone would give the benefit of the doubt. Really goes back to my original point, some on here find fault in anything certain posters say.

You can deny that all day long and I am fine with that. IMO, it often ends up on the person making the comments.

I understand. Your argument is that this is about "who said it" not "what was said." That absolutely exists on this site and elsewhere.

In many situations, you are absolutely correct. I don't think this is one of them. That's why I keep coming back to "is use of a commonly recognized slur such as homo acceptable?" That's the conversation I am having. I think the answer is no, regardless of who said it.

It is possible for you to be correct about people being biased and for the people who say use of the word homo is unacceptable to both be correct. They are not mutually exclusive.
TAMU

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #215 on: December 14, 2018, 05:32:50 PM »
I live by the following:

At some point a term may have been "socially acceptable" so if you used it then it wasn't because you were racist, sexist, etc but because you weren't exposed to the hurt those terms have.  At some point, that term is no longer "socially acceptable" so if you continue to use it then you are either 1.  Sexist, Racist, etc or 2. Ignorant.  Either way, when you use the term you are insulting yourself.
Yes, 'socially acceptable" is a broad catch all. Question: what ruling body, authority, God, emperor, commisar, proletariat, or master of the universe is the final say on what "socially acceptable" is?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #216 on: December 14, 2018, 05:33:34 PM »
TAMU, I know you make your living off of propagating the myth of PC, so you get a free pass for your point of view. However, the rest of the world is fed up with the whole PC thing and that is why Trump got elected. My family and I have been called every hateful name in the books over the years and we just keep rolling down the highway. It built character in the kids for sure. PC is weakening Western Civilizations ability to compete against the Eastern Empire of China . Not a path we should go down.   
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
« Reply #217 on: December 14, 2018, 05:38:40 PM »
TAMU

My point has been consistent. Some folks can say anything and get support. Others, regardless of what is said, get attacked.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #218 on: December 14, 2018, 05:38:59 PM »
TAMU-

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on how to interpret "slurper."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #219 on: December 14, 2018, 05:41:37 PM »
TAMU, I know you make your living off of propagating the myth of PC, so you get a free pass for your point of view. However, the rest of the world is fed up with the whole PC thing and that is why Trump got elected. My family and I have been called every hateful name in the books over the years and we just keep rolling down the highway. It built character in the kids for sure. PC is weakening Western Civilizations ability to compete against the Eastern Empire of China . Not a path we should go down.

You say "propagating the myth of PC" I say "living Jesuit values."

I'm sure your experiences have built character for you and your children. That's a testament to you and your parenting. I have unfortunately also seen hateful words and actions lead others to depression, addiction, and even suicide. I reject the idea that we need to accept the status quo. I think we should always be fighting to make this world a more loving and holy place. We can do that while also toughening our children and preparing them to face the hate that is unfortunately in the world. We can tell them "What the person said or did is unacceptable and here's why. But when this happens, here is how you can handle it and keep it from getting to you." These two things are not at odds.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #220 on: December 14, 2018, 05:43:25 PM »
TAMU

My point has been consistent. Some folks can say anything and get support. Others, regardless of what is said, get attacked.

Okay. I understand. I don't fully agree (If Brew came out and called everyone a bunch of homos he would be roundly criticized) but I understand what you are getting at and you are not wrong. 

What does that point have to do with the question "is use of a commonly recognized slur such as homo acceptable?" Because that is the question that started this whole conversation.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 05:48:15 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

Goose

• All American
« Reply #221 on: December 14, 2018, 05:45:29 PM »
TAMU

On a side bar, I had folks flat out call me a liar in regards to the history of Matt Carlino. That is one point that I believe I trump the crew on here in regards to inside info. Yet, I had the same posters attack me in regards to Matt. In that case, some argued for the sake of arguing. Pretty stupid, IMO.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #222 on: December 14, 2018, 05:50:35 PM »
I didn't read it as a gay joke(lots of women think men are abnormally  obsessed with their genitalia).

They ARE abnormally obsessed with junk - theirs, other guys, all of it. And they also believe that women are way more obsessed with guy's junk than they actually are. *

*I acknowledge these are huge generalizations that don't apply to every single human male (just the overwhelming majority).
Have some patience, FFS.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #223 on: December 14, 2018, 05:51:35 PM »
You say "propagating the myth of PC" I say "living Jesuit values."

I'm sure your experiences have built character for you and your children. That's a testament to you and your parenting. I have unfortunately also seen hateful words and actions lead others to depression, addiction, and even suicide. I reject the idea that we need to accept the status quo. I think we should always be fighting to make this world a more loving and holy place. We can do that while also toughening our children and preparing them to face the hate that is unfortunately in the world. We can tell them "What the person said or did is unacceptable and here's why. But when this happens, here is how you can handle it and keep it from getting to you." These two things are not at odds.

An admirable goal . However, I faced the reality early on that while I was blessed to be an American, I was not blessed enough to be the right color. I just chose to accept that and work toward accentuating the strengths I brought to the table that america as a nation could propel. So never fought for minority set asides or anything like that, just wanted to be best in class. It is a different mindset than most in my community but for me and my family it worked.  I guess the way I looked at it, by steeling myself against hatred , I could expend my time and energy in places where it mattered. Hatred is a super expensive emotion. So having nothing to do with it was a pure efficiency thing that accumulated over time . 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #224 on: December 14, 2018, 05:53:45 PM »
Declaring oneself a moral arbiter on a meaningless message board is beyond pathetic.

Yep, Meaningless Message Board.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust