[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Punched, hit or grabbed?  (Read 36378 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Punched, hit or grabbed?
« Reply #225 on: December 14, 2018, 06:03:11 PM »
Lenny had a similar question earlier in the thread. You can read that for the long version. Short version is that the some people say q is questioning others say q is queer. Different people have different opinions on the matter. In general, using queer as an adjective is usually okay (assuming you are using the strange definition or the person actually identifies as queer) e.g. "this person identifies as queer." Using queer as noun is usually not okay e.g. "you're a queer."

Assuming you genuinely mean strangest thread then you are good. Though again similar to the conversation about "monkeying around" when talking about a black person, you want to be careful when using it in certain contexts. People might wonder why you choose to use that word when talking about someone who identifies as LGBTQ.

Its basically a lighter version of -er vs -a.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #226 on: December 14, 2018, 06:15:17 PM »
Its basically a lighter version of -er vs -a.

I'll be honest, I don't know as much about that debate so I won't wander into it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #227 on: December 14, 2018, 06:18:13 PM »
I'll be honest, I don't know as much about that debate so I won't wander into it.

Hadn’t stopped Scoopers b4, ayna?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #228 on: December 14, 2018, 06:19:48 PM »
What does that point have to do with the question "is use of a commonly recognized slur such as homo acceptable?"

Against my better judgement, I'll explain where I think your (and others) understanding is different from mine .

nh is shorthand for "no homo"
no homo is shorthand for "no homosexual intent"

Anyone using (nh) is not calling someone else a "homo". 

I don't disagree that that (nh) can still offend people (as many things can).

Again, there's a whole wiki page on it, which describes the criticisms, and debate about those criticisms too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_homo

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #229 on: December 14, 2018, 06:22:02 PM »
Huh, and I thought the mods were just busy at an arbys summit.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #230 on: December 14, 2018, 06:24:03 PM »
Against my better judgement, I'll explain where I think your (and others) understanding is different from mine .

Again, there's a whole wiki page on it, which describes the criticisms, and debate about those criticisms too.

^^^ give dis guy a raise (nh)

That was explained well

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #231 on: December 14, 2018, 06:52:25 PM »

the offense is in the eye of the beholder, and personally I'd have stopped after the resident lgbtq member said it was. (Note a whole thread mentioning Tourette's got deleted when I called out Brandx)

It would seem to me that the only reason someone in their middle age would still be using that type of humor is a deep seeded insecurity. I remember vividly using that humor, I was 11 to about 14 then everybody outgrew it. M
Maigh Eo for Sam

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #232 on: December 14, 2018, 07:18:07 PM »
^^^ give dis guy a raise (nh)

That was explained well
In general use Rocky is 100% spot on.  Regarding your use of the phrase as being a slur against gay/LBGQT people, backed up by your many remarks about transgender bathroom rights, gay marriage, a large number of of your 'no homo' placements, you use it as a homophobic slur.  You then completely own the mantra of "STFU you weirdo! I'll use homo however I want.  Go cry" then try to hide behind the fact that Rocky sees some people using it as 'no homosexual intent'. 

You use this as a slur.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #233 on: December 14, 2018, 07:36:07 PM »
In general use Rocky is 100% spot on.  Regarding your use of the phrase as being a slur against gay/LBGQT people, backed up by your many remarks about transgender bathroom rights, gay marriage, a large number of of your 'no homo' placements, you use it as a homophobic slur.  You then completely own the mantra of "STFU you weirdo! I'll use homo however I want.  Go cry" then try to hide behind the fact that Rocky sees some people using it as 'no homosexual intent'. 

You use this as a slur.

Stop with your libelous nonsense, Nags. Try to let the evil hate deoart from your heart.

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #234 on: December 14, 2018, 07:58:49 PM »
Stop with your libelous nonsense, Nags. Try to let the evil hate deoart from your heart.
deoart? 

If you are claiming libel it would imply that you are positioning yourself as pro same sex marriage, pro sexual identity as a protected class, supporting trans individuals being recognized as the gender they identify with (including using that ascribed bathroom), and condemning the use of the word “homo” or any other slur.  Is that what you are claiming?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #235 on: December 14, 2018, 08:09:06 PM »
deoart? 

If you are claiming libel it would imply that you are positioning yourself as pro same sex marriage, pro sexual identity as a protected class, supporting trans individuals being recognized as the gender they identify with (including using that ascribed bathroom), and condemning the use of the word “homo” or any other slur.  Is that what you are claiming?

Maybe when you turn 53 you’ll grow out of this stage??? #PrayersUp

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #236 on: December 14, 2018, 08:17:33 PM »
Maybe when you turn 53 you’ll grow out of this stage??? #PrayersUp
Is that a “yes, I stand behind all of those pro LBGQT rights you listed” or is that a “yes, I’m homophobic and am simply hiding behind a nuance in interpretation Rocky brought up”?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #237 on: December 14, 2018, 08:39:20 PM »
Is that a “yes, I stand behind all of those pro LBGQT rights you listed” or is that a “yes, I’m homophobic and am simply hiding behind a nuance in interpretation Rocky brought up”?

You’ll continue to make up whatever your small mind wants to. #PrayersUp

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #238 on: December 14, 2018, 08:50:12 PM »

You might have a case if it didn't directly impact the people that use your site:

Quote from: D'Lo Brown
As a gay man, I can assure you that you are thoroughly wrong. I think the general assumption is that since there aren't enough out there to be "outraged", it's not that big of a deal.

This has nothing to do with political correctness, or politics, at all. It is a phobia based on someone's sexual orientation. Where do politics come into that again?

And we all know that your glowing endorsement here will only serve to encourage the sheer ignorance going forward.

As a youth sports coach, I take every opportunity to explain and correct usage of any of these terms. Kids often just don't understand it. Adults know better, and it's unacceptable. For some reason, there are still adult men that encourage this type of language in sports, in particular. Which is regrettable, as you never really know when such a word could be devastating for a child that looks up to you.

Dissapointed in you guys, but unsurprised.

It violates two rules of the site. It impacts people that use the site. "Respect other posters." "Use of...sexist comments prohibited." You can follow your own rules and respect the posters on this site or you can not, but you may as well delete the "rules" post if that's the perspective you're going to take. I think it's safe to say D'Lo has more stake and validity in this than anyone else here or whatever website you cite.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #239 on: December 14, 2018, 09:03:09 PM »
You might have a case if it didn't directly impact the people that use your site:

It violates two rules of the site. It impacts people that use the site. "Respect other posters." "Use of...sexist comments prohibited." You can follow your own rules and respect the posters on this site or you can not, but you may as well delete the "rules" post if that's the perspective you're going to take. I think it's safe to say D'Lo has more stake and validity in this than anyone else here or whatever website you cite.

Thanks for you opinion.  Again.

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #240 on: December 14, 2018, 09:05:47 PM »
You’ll continue to make up whatever your small mind wants to. #PrayersUp
I'm simply looking for you to take a stance one way or another.  Either you can state that you are pro LBGQT rights or you are truly using 'no homo' as a slur.  If you state you are totally behind the LBGQT community and their rights i'm cool with you using 'nh' without further comment.  If you can't commit to supporting LBGQT rights than it is clear you are using 'nh' as a slur.

I'm asking you for a clear definition so you won't have to worry about me "making up whatever my small mind wants to".

As far as the # and false bravado about your intellectual superiority we can save that for PM if you want. 

Which is it JB?   Simple question that you've avoided actually answering:  Supportive of the LBGQT community or using 'no homo' as a slur?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #241 on: December 14, 2018, 09:07:07 PM »

^^^ ban dis guy

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #242 on: December 14, 2018, 09:07:32 PM »
It literally contains the word homo. Which is a slur for a gay person. I don't believe anyone has an issue with the intent of the phrase. I love a good what's she said or when you were saying (pause).

In honor of Pete Shelley, who died last week, I think this version of homo is still ok. 

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2HwmO_GZfzI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2HwmO_GZfzI</a>
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #243 on: December 14, 2018, 09:11:54 PM »
^^^ ban dis guy

I didn't make the rules, but it is the mods job to enforce them.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #244 on: December 14, 2018, 09:14:15 PM »
And on today's episode of Who's Morally Superior ...

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #245 on: December 14, 2018, 09:38:44 PM »
I didn't make the rules, but it is the mods job to enforce them.

Is it really?

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #246 on: December 14, 2018, 09:45:38 PM »
And on today's episode of Who's Morally Superior ...
More like an episode of "Just Take a Damn Stand" where someone claims Arby's is health food and, when presented with the fact that a beef-n-cheddar contains no actual non processed ingredients (never mind actual produce or natural grains/meat), screams "but it tastes good to me" over and over again.

The contestant either takes door #1:  admits that they eat Arby's because it tastes good, Door #2: they admit they didn't know Arby's was fast food, or Door #3: they continue to scream "it tastes good to me so it's healthy".  Doors 1 & 2 are the logical choices for the contestant but.......

Cut to the audience chanting "just take a damn stand" and the contestant crashing through door #3 while insisting he went through no door at all.

**sad trombone**

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #247 on: December 14, 2018, 09:45:45 PM »
Is it really?

The rules use phrases like "will not be tolerated", "banned", and "prohibited". Not sure why those are there if the mods aren't enforcing them. The alternative is encouraging continued bigoted comments.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #248 on: December 14, 2018, 09:50:49 PM »
How about locking the thread and moving on with some  actual basketball talk?

My god this site can be just pathetic at times.

You want to talk about LGBT rights and what is our isn't a slur......how about another site, super bar or email?

I mean what a waste of a good thread of what a punk Davison is.......

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #249 on: December 14, 2018, 09:57:58 PM »
How about locking the thread and moving on with some  actual basketball talk?

My god this site can be just pathetic at times.

You want to talk about LGBT rights and what is our isn't a slur......how about another site, super bar or email?

I mean what a waste of a good thread of what a punk Davison is.......

Yep. The fact MU has a bunch of whining pansy fans can’t be good for recruiting heynar??

Instead of crying about mods, could always use the handy ignore function (available on the website and hopefully also in your little minds)

Worried about these unstable folks. Prayers up