Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Punched, hit or grabbed?  (Read 36362 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Punched, hit or grabbed?
« Reply #150 on: December 14, 2018, 11:02:14 AM »
Just catching up on scoop and spent way too much time already this morning reading all of these posts, but this one is interesting to me.  I'm in the 55+ group, so I can tell you growing up my mother would often tell me to stop monkeying around.  It's when I was restless, fidgety, and acting like a monkey.  Go to the zoo and watch the monkeys.  So if someone said "Joseph Chartouney (sp?)should stop monkeying around with the ball", is that offensive?  The problem IMHO, is over time as SOME people begin to use a word as a slur ie. monkey related to a person of a particular race, then it becomes a "slur".  Who determines that?  10% of the population?  30%? 50 %?  So if everyone one 55 and over doesn't view it as a slur, but everyone under 25 does, then who's right?  Who gets to decide?

Chartouney is lebanse-canadian so that may be a whole different situation to analyse.  I think the Howard example was brought up because he's at least partially african american (I don't think I've seen a pic of his mom so didn't want to assume).
Maigh Eo for Sam

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #151 on: December 14, 2018, 11:06:53 AM »
TSmith

brew's stating he would not use butthurt again was followed by explanation on why he uses it, and a request for me to be offended by others. If I offend someone, I would probably apologize and skip the explanation.
True, and fair enough.  If I had to guess, though, I'd predict he will stop using the term.  He'll evolve. 

JB? Not so much.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #152 on: December 14, 2018, 11:11:36 AM »
Just catching up on scoop and spent way too much time already this morning reading all of these posts, but this one is interesting to me.  I'm in the 55+ group, so I can tell you growing up my mother would often tell me to stop monkeying around.  It's when I was restless, fidgety, and acting like a monkey.  Go to the zoo and watch the monkeys.  So if someone said "Joseph Chartouney (sp?)should stop monkeying around with the ball", is that offensive?  The problem IMHO, is over time as SOME people begin to use a word as a slur ie. monkey related to a person of a particular race, then it becomes a "slur".  Who determines that?  10% of the population?  30%? 50 %?  So if everyone one 55 and over doesn't view it as a slur, but everyone under 25 does, then who's right?  Who gets to decide?

Growing up, I frequently used retard/redarded.  Hell, I used a lot of stupid and offensive terms.  But it is now an offensive term and rightfully so, so I no longer use it as a slur.

Yeah, that doesn't answer your question about what % needs to determine if it is offensive, I know...but if the general consensus is that it is offensive, it is, and you don't get to pull a JB and pretend that it isn't.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #153 on: December 14, 2018, 11:21:16 AM »
Who determines that?  10% of the population?  30%? 50 %?  So if everyone one 55 and over doesn't view it as a slur, but everyone under 25 does, then who's right?  Who gets to decide?

Most of the time I feel it's fairly evident, and I think the term "homo" has been seen as derogatory since at least the 1980s. It was more acceptable then to discriminate against LGBTQ individuals, but we've all known since then what the meaning and intent of the word was.

I think generally the affected portion of society should be able to make the determination. When a Scoop user spoke up as a member of the LGBTQ society against the term, that should've absolutely been the end of it.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #154 on: December 14, 2018, 11:22:06 AM »
Galway

romey's post hit on the head to me. The term monkeying around for our generation has ZERO race implications. My Dad would used that phrase on me and follow it up with "don't act like an idiot". romey noting Joe C. is his post says it all. He picked a player, any player, because monkeying around means exactly that, and nothing more to folks over the age 50.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #155 on: December 14, 2018, 11:23:40 AM »
Galway

romey's post hit on the head to me. The term monkeying around for our generation has ZERO race implications. My Dad would used that phrase on me and follow it up with "don't act like an idiot". romey noting Joe C. is his post says it all. He picked a player, any player, because monkeying around means exactly that, and nothing more to folks over the age 50.

Monkeying around I'd agree with you, I could understand a viewpoint however where it is considered offensive.
Maigh Eo for Sam

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #156 on: December 14, 2018, 11:30:09 AM »
Indeed.  I was at the game and had no clue what happened until after the game.  So, my son showed me the incident in slow mo.  Being as objective as I could be, I say it was intentional.  Davison keeps his left arm in a strange position way to long, very unnatural move. Not a basketball move.  Stopped pumping his left arm way in advance.  If he was trying to hold or hook, it would not have set his arm and held it so far in advance.

This analysis/thread sounds like some Seinfeld episode.

Anyway, time to move onto better subjects than a crotch shot that apparently missed its target.

i think he was trying to sneak one in there, but best way to find out is check out how he battles around other picks.  i think he just expected joey to go down and then he could look around in disbelief.  weird thing davison hasn't figured out though is you can't scratch yourself in public without some camera capturing the moment
don't...don't don't don't don't

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #157 on: December 14, 2018, 11:30:28 AM »
So if everyone one 55 and over doesn't view it as a slur, but everyone under 25 does, then who's right?  Who gets to decide?

Well based on history...its the young people because all the old people end up dieing regardless if they change or don't change. 

I remember wincing over and over again when I heard my grandfather speak.  I was not raised in some sort of overly PC family, but I remember thinking it was just wrong. Additionally, I can count many things that I/we said growing up, I wouldn't use today.

I remember hoping I would never be that guy - but I know I will someday.  At least now I would like to believe that I will stop doing it if someone pulls me aside and explains that I am doing something, potentially with no ill intent, that hurts someone else.

We are all the product of what we learned and heard - so I hope people continue to have patience with me when I don't say things perfectly or need to be told that something is hurtful.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 11:32:12 AM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

romey

• All American
« Reply #158 on: December 14, 2018, 11:30:49 AM »
Is it okay to say Sam Hauser is monkeying around?  ;)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #159 on: December 14, 2018, 11:33:01 AM »
  i think he was trying to sneak one in there, but best way to find out is check out how he battles around other picks.  i think he just expected joey to go down and then he could look around in disbelief.  weird thing davison hasn't figured out though is you can't scratch yourself in public without some camera capturing the moment

tryin to get us to page 8   this is good stuff  ;D

Goose

• All American
« Reply #160 on: December 14, 2018, 11:36:18 AM »
rocket

Quit monkeying around on here. If that continues, someone is going to be butthurt, and it won't be me.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #161 on: December 14, 2018, 11:37:57 AM »
This is the post where any and all debate on "NH" should've ended:

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=56628.msg1043624#msg1043624

Quote from: D'Lo Brown
As a gay man, I can assure you that you are thoroughly wrong. I think the general assumption is that since there aren't enough out there to be "outraged", it's not that big of a deal.

This has nothing to do with political correctness, or politics, at all. It is a phobia based on someone's sexual orientation. Where do politics come into that again?

And we all know that your glowing endorsement here will only serve to encourage the sheer ignorance going forward.

As a youth sports coach, I take every opportunity to explain and correct usage of any of these terms. Kids often just don't understand it. Adults know better, and it's unacceptable. For some reason, there are still adult men that encourage this type of language in sports, in particular. Which is regrettable, as you never really know when such a word could be devastating for a child that looks up to you.

Dissapointed in you guys, but unsurprised.

I'd contend that you don't need to be in the presence of other races to know that making racist comments is wrong, and you shouldn't have to be in the presence of LGBTQ individuals to know that making discriminatory comments against them is also wrong.

That said, the above post made it clear that the "there's no one LGBTQ here so I can be bigoted against them" defense doesn't hold up on this site. Making that comment is not okay. Defending those that make that comment is not okay.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #162 on: December 14, 2018, 11:42:48 AM »
I think it's a combination of exactly what you said - some people start using a phrase/word as a slur and it makes it taboo - and a general social awareness about certain words.  There is no magic % or formula. 

A great example of this is that I am one of the coaches for my 4th graders basketball team.  Our first practice the head coach - fellow dad - comes up to me and says "i'd like to start them off running suicides but i'm sure we shouldn't call them that, what are they called now?"  Since this has become an age reveal thread  ;) I'm 52 and had no idea, turns out they are called 'lines'.  We joked that when cocaine makes its big comeback they'll have to be called something else. 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #163 on: December 14, 2018, 12:03:20 PM »
I thought slurpers just meant some one was drinking the Kool-Aid.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 12:06:56 PM by Waldo Jeffers »

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #164 on: December 14, 2018, 12:07:47 PM »
Coming from someone who doesn't know how to spell the word "this".

Coming from someone who thinks non-Anglo names is a source of entertainment and amusement
"I don't care what Chick says, my mom's a babe" 

theBabyDavid

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #165 on: December 14, 2018, 12:21:14 PM »
Can we say Queer?  I cant keep track if thats useable again or not? 
In todays day is a good hearted game of “Smear the Queer” acceptable? Just wanna know to avoid the rath of the elites.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #166 on: December 14, 2018, 12:26:28 PM »
Hey--

How come no one attacked warriorchick earlier in the thread for saying "you guys are spending way too much time for looking at Joey's crotch"? Was that comment out of line or funny because it came from a preferred poster?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #167 on: December 14, 2018, 12:29:03 PM »
Hey--

How come no one attacked warriorchick earlier in the thread for saying "you guys are spending way too much time for looking at Joey's crotch"? Was that comment out of line or funny because it came from a preferred poster?

What do you find offensive about that? Please explain. As far as I am aware no one has complained about jokes involving genitals.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #168 on: December 14, 2018, 12:33:27 PM »
Can we say Queer?  I cant keep track if thats useable again or not? 
In todays day is a good hearted game of “Smear the Queer” acceptable? Just wanna know to avoid the rath of the elites.

Depends on the context. Saying something is queer meaning strange is still acceptable but similar to the "monkeying around" conversation I would be careful about when and where you use it.

Calling a person a queer has been unacceptable for awhile. It is still a slur for people of the LGBTQ community.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #169 on: December 14, 2018, 01:07:05 PM »
rocket

Quit monkeying around on here. If that continues, someone is going to be butthurt, and it won't be me.

hey goose man!  speakin of bh, that's why warrior and i work on the other end although, except for their breath, they all look the same, eyn'a?  :D

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #170 on: December 14, 2018, 01:46:41 PM »
Consider the sources.  Their characters were revealed a long time ago.

Some of us have had our character validated many times in many ways by people who can actually weigh in on such a matter.

Declaring oneself a moral arbiter on a meaningless message board is beyond pathetic.

By the way, isn't Exxon one of your "Fortune 5 clients?" I used the sh!tter in their Beacon Hill property yesterday and it was disgusting. Better get to it there, "TSmith." Don't want to lose a "Fortune 5 client."

"I don't care what Chick says, my mom's a babe" 

theBabyDavid

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #171 on: December 14, 2018, 01:49:02 PM »
This may be the greatest* Scoop bye week thread of all time

*in this greatest is an stand in for adjectives like: disappointing, frustrating, hysterical, mind blowing, painful, and engaging. Classic Scoop
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #172 on: December 14, 2018, 01:51:41 PM »
“Hey, whatever you want to think...go ahead and think it”- Bob Weir
Bring back FFP!!!

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #173 on: December 14, 2018, 01:53:16 PM »

It’s still an issue in Europe. There’s a lot of racism throughout the soccer leagues and bananas are used to taunt players from time to time.

Of course saying someone is monkeying around is far different from calling someone a monkey, but nuance has no place on the internet.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #174 on: December 14, 2018, 01:56:21 PM »
What do you find offensive about that? Please explain. As far as I am aware no one has complained about jokes involving genitals.

Duh. It was a gay joke/slur. You "guys" are spending way too much time staring at a "guy's" nuts, aina.