[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 5 year plan  (Read 34265 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: 5 year plan
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2018, 08:17:40 PM »
LOL. There is a big difference between phony excuses and legit ones. We played 7-9 Creighton and 0-6 Xavier both twice. They were without their best players, not "a guy".

Dishonest assessments of where we are and where we've been as a program won't make this any better, but by all means keep drinking the kool aid.

Talk about LOL.  0-6 Xavier?  Did Sumner recover from an ACL tear in 3 weeks?  I guess he was with them as they went to the Elite Eight.

Sheesh.  The chicken littles will go to great lengths.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2018, 08:29:08 PM »
Talk about LOL.  0-6 Xavier?  Did Sumner recover from an ACL tear in 3 weeks?  I guess he was with them as they went to the Elite Eight.

Sheesh.  The chicken littles will go to great lengths.

They played one game against us without Blueitt and Sumner, one just without Sumner. Regrouped and overcame Sumner's absence in the tourney (after initially being in shock)

But keep slurpin'.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2018, 08:30:35 PM »
You know Lenny's has a losing argument when he gets all haughty.  It's amusing.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2018, 08:32:09 PM »
Also, what other aspects of being a coach do you give him an A for? He gets a B+/A- for recruiting and a C for X's and O's based on your comments above? What's left? Is this a reference to running a clean program?

I think there's a general category for representing the university. Running a clean program, embracing the tradition/history, relating to students, etc. In my opinion, this third category isn't as important as the first two...though you need to reach a minimum threshold.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2018, 08:36:36 PM »
They played one game against us without Blueitt and Sumner, one just without Sumner. Regrouped and overcame Sumner's absence in the tourney (after initially being in shock)

But keep slurpin'.

Or maybe they just played 6 straight games against NCAA Tournament teams, half of them on the road.  Then got a win over DePaul to end the regular season, got 2 wins in the BET, and then went to the E8.

But yeah, 0-6 Xavier.

And I'm a slurper because I won't discount 4 wins and say we haven't made an NCAA Tournament under Wojo.  Good one.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2018, 08:45:53 PM »
Figurin' wee now kneed 6 years ta judge, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2018, 08:47:52 PM »
You know Lenny's has a losing argument when he gets all haughty.  It's amusing.

LOL. Didn't realize I was being haughty. But I'll readily concede you're the expert here when it comes to haughty, so you should recognize it in others.

How does one manage to be "all haughty" with both winning and losing arguments like you do?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2018, 08:53:03 PM »
Figurin' wee now kneed 6 years ta judge, hey?

Some don't get it Doc. Think "Win every other day" should be our motto.

CleanishProgram

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2018, 08:56:21 PM »
...It's 5 games in, we lost two games that most expected us to lose.  We are integrating two transfers into the team, as well as a freshman.  We have a key player out due to a thumb injury.  The 3-2 record is exactly how I expected....

Every time someone writes that 3-2 is where we expected to be, I think to myself, I agree. And I also think to myself, Marquette would also be 3-2 if literally no one was coaching the team.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2018, 08:59:07 PM »
At the beginning of last night’s game, when they were showing graphics for the coaches, under Wojo’s name they said, “Two time NCAA champion as Duke assistant.”  The guy’s in his fifth season as our head coach, and that’s what they put.  For me, that says all you need to know about his time here.

And nobody’s said Wojo never made the tournament, just that he had to catch a few breaks to get there.  If people are going to hold 2016-17 up as his crowning achievement, let’s call it what it was:  A mediocre, forgettable season by MU standards.  We went 19-13 and got bounced in the first round of the tournament.  Heck, after beating No. 1 Villanova, the signature win of the Wojo era, we lost 4 out of our next 5, with our one win in that stretch coming against DePaul.  A mediocre team does that, not a good one.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2018, 08:59:20 PM »
History matters no doubt.  But I don't think it matters as much as you are implying.  Kentucky is a great program because of huge fan support, monied donors backing the program, and SEC money.  History is part of that, but also history CREATES that. 

There are examples of historically poor programs using their resources to become national powers.  Wisconsin, Arizona, Florida were all programs that shed their history and took that next step.

This is spot on and why college b-ball is great.  If you spend the money, get a good coach, are in a decent conference — you too can be the next UConn. 

It also makes it disappointing to shed momentum.  The resources on the way in to create momentum are more than keeping it going. 

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2018, 09:03:00 PM »
Every time someone writes that 3-2 is where we expected to be, I think to myself, I agree. And I also think to myself, Marquette would also be 3-2 if literally no one was coaching the team.

Incredible first post.  Welcome to Scoop.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #87 on: November 22, 2018, 09:03:47 PM »
At the beginning of last night’s game, when they were showing graphics for the coaches, under Wojo’s name they said, “Two time NCAA champion as Duke assistant.”  The guy’s in his fifth season as our head coach, and that’s what they put.  For me, that says all you need to know about his time here.

And nobody’s said Wojo never made the tournament, just that he had to catch a few breaks to get there.  If people are going to hold 2016-17 up as his crowning achievement, let’s call it what it was:  A mediocre, forgettable season by MU standards.  We went 19-13 and got bounced in the first round of the tournament.  Heck, after beating No. 1 Villanova, the signature win of the Wojo era, we lost 4 out of our next 5, with our one win in that stretch coming against DePaul.  A mediocre team does that, not a good one.

+1000

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #88 on: November 22, 2018, 09:05:48 PM »
There are plenty of players from the mike deane era that were better recruits than some guys on our roster

Amal was an awesome big
Chris crawford.  Both had short nba careers

Lets not forget mike deane was actually the one that started recruitment for d wade

At this point ill take mike deane with a seat belt over wojo

#wojohasnomojo

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #89 on: November 22, 2018, 09:08:10 PM »
Wojo is at the very least representing MU very well, and from what I can tell has kept the team acting as such. Same cannot be said from the Buzz era. MU isnt winning, but at least noone is getting in trouble.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2018, 09:10:52 PM »
There are plenty of players from the mike deane era that were better recruits than some guys on our roster

Amal was an awesome big
Chris crawford.  Both had short nba careers

Lets not forget mike deane was actually the one that started recruitment for d wade

At this point ill take mike deane with a seat belt over wojo

#wojohasnomojo

I believe McCaskill and Crawford were both O’Neill players. 

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2018, 09:15:44 PM »
LOL. There is a big difference between phony excuses and legit ones. We played 7-9 Creighton and 0-6 Xavier both twice. They were without their best players, not "a guy".

Dishonest assessments of where we are and where we've been as a program won't make this any better, but by all means keep drinking the kool aid.

I was actually wrong about the Georgetown game. Looks like we had everyone.

I'm with you on Creighton #1 and Xavier #1. We caught breaks. Doesn't mean that season should be diminished.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2018, 09:17:07 PM »

You are correct.  Aaron Hutchins was also an O'Neill recruit.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2018, 09:17:54 PM »
Some don't get it Doc. Think "Win every other day" should be our motto.

No he doesn't.  Neither do you. 

No one is saying that he needs next year to fully judge him.  I think he's a pretty average coach.  I think many people are saying its dumb to judge THIS SEASON based on the first five games.  I've been very clear since last March what my expectations were for this season.  (Top 4 BE, 5 seed or better in the NCAA tournament.)  I'm not going to write that off yet.  (Ask me in a couple weeks and I may have a different answer.)

I'm also not going to make crap up like "Kansas just wasn't trying" or "we only beat the injured teams" to dishonestly reinforce my position. 

If you want to say "Wojo hasn't recruited enough slashers" or "the defense has been a consistent problem," then yes.  Those are obvious facts that clearly are marks against him.  But the other stuff?  Nonsense. 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 09:21:45 PM by Sultan of South Wayne »

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #94 on: November 22, 2018, 09:19:16 PM »

Sorry my mistake.  But they did get drafted under is tenure

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #95 on: November 22, 2018, 09:21:55 PM »
On a side note would anybody love to still have cordell henry or hutch or miller on this roster right now as a real pg??????

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #96 on: November 22, 2018, 09:22:54 PM »

No he doesn't.  Neither do you. 

No one is saying that he needs next year to fully judge him.  I think he's a pretty average coach.  I think most people are saying its dumb to judge THIS SEASON based on the first five games.  I've been very clear since last March what my expectations were for this season.  (Top 4 BE, 5 seed or better in the NCAA tournament.)  I'm not going to write that off yet.  (Ask me in a couple weeks and I may have a different answer.)

I'm also not going to make crap up like "Kansas just wasn't trying" or "we only beat the injured teams" to dishonestly reinforce my position. 

If you want to say "Wojo hasn't recruited enough slashers" or "the defense has been a consistent problem," then yes.  Those are obvious facts that clearly are marks against him.  But the other stuff?  Nonsense.

I also think Wojo is being judged "harshly" THIS SEASON so early into it, because of the lack of success of past seasons.  Patience is wearing out. 

You know what else is true?  Greg F'in Gard is kicking Wojo's ass as a coach. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #97 on: November 22, 2018, 09:27:34 PM »
I also think Wojo is being judged "harshly" THIS SEASON so early into it, because of the lack of success of past seasons.  Patience is wearing out.

I mean I get that, but there really is no reason for people to make sh*t up.  The results will speak for themselves.

I'm not sure he's "kicking Wojo's ass," but he certainly looks to have grown nicely into the job.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2018, 09:28:11 PM »
You are correct.  Aaron Hutchins was also an O'Neill recruit.

O’Neill left us some good players.  Pieper was also a key contributor on those first couple of Deane teams.

Kevin O’Neill...now there’s a guy who came into a dumpster fire and did remarkable work.  Same with Crean.  Wojo had it tougher than both of them, though!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #99 on: November 22, 2018, 09:29:02 PM »

Greg F'in Gard hasn't coached against anyone remotely close to as good as even Indiana this year, let alone Kansas.

feedback