[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Some ranked teams didn't dodge the upset  (Read 48716 times)

Floorslapper

• All American
Re: Some ranked teams didn't dodge the upset
« Reply #150 on: December 06, 2018, 09:27:19 AM »
This thread makes me feel better that we haven't lost to the sub 250 teams on our schedule.

Let's hope we don't make an appearance in it if we lose to teams ranked 75-100 - the Georgetown's and DePaul's of our conference.

And in spite of Texas's 3 straight losses in Shaka's 4th year at the helm, they are ranked 36, exactly 2 spots behind us in Year 5 of the "rebuild."

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #151 on: December 06, 2018, 09:31:02 AM »
If only you were as Smart as Warriorchick.

Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #152 on: December 06, 2018, 09:53:05 AM »
This thread makes me feel better that we haven't lost to the sub 250 teams on our schedule.

Let's hope we don't make an appearance in it if we lose to teams ranked 75-100 - the Georgetown's and DePaul's of our conference.

And in spite of Texas's 3 straight losses in Shaka's 4th year at the helm, they are ranked 36, exactly 2 spots behind us in Year 5 of the "rebuild."

I hope we don't make an appearance either, but we probably will at least once. Because that's the nature of college basketball (and the point of this thread).
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #153 on: December 06, 2018, 10:02:25 AM »
If only you were as Smart as Warriorchick.

I have been married almost 27 years.   I know my place.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #154 on: December 06, 2018, 10:03:49 AM »
I hope we don't make an appearance either, but we probably will at least once. Because that's the nature of college basketball (and the point of this thread).

Sure.  As usual...context matters.  Losing to teams 75-100, while not great, is not as frustrating/concerning as struggling to beat teams Sub 250 on your home floor.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #155 on: December 06, 2018, 10:16:15 AM »
Sure.  As usual...context matters.  Losing to teams 75-100, while not great, is not as frustrating/concerning as struggling to beat teams Sub 250 on your home floor.

Exactly. One is a W the other is an L.

You’re full of bait material today. Trying to bait anyone into an argument today. Your game has grown old dude. You’re washed up. You need new material.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #156 on: December 06, 2018, 10:26:28 AM »

You’re full of bait material today. Trying to bait anyone into an argument today. Your game has grown old dude. You’re washed up. You need new material.

Yeah, Redundancy, Redundancy.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

MU82

• All American
« Reply #157 on: December 06, 2018, 11:48:56 AM »

It's highly likely that we will lose a game or two we are "supposed" to win. Anybody paying attention to the college basketball landscape would realize that.

As for your last paragraph ... so?

Shaka is supposed to be one of the great coaches in basketball, and he is at the No. 1 all-around school (for athletics) in a P5 conference. Are you saying he has overachieved at Texas? Or will you simply say anything to take shots at Wojo?

I like to think this thread serves to remind folks that a "bad" loss -- or especially a narrow victory over a "bad" team -- is not reason to climb on the ledge. But if you want to use it to attack your school whenever you can, it's a free country (at least for now).
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #158 on: December 06, 2018, 11:57:27 AM »

At the end of the day, a win is a win. Nobody is analyzing the UTEP game in March. We got the win. On to the next one.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #159 on: December 06, 2018, 12:56:00 PM »

This thread topic is silly.  It's an exercise in trying to justfiy and continue to make room for mediocre 4.25 years of mediocre performance of Boy Wonder. 

As for paragraph two, welp, sorry bro, you chose to respond.  The "material" as you say, caused you to respond.  My purpose isn't to troll, but that is how those of you who have a consistently alternative viewpoint choose to see it. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #161 on: December 06, 2018, 04:58:32 PM »

I'm confused. Are you talking about St John's struggling to beat 0-8 Mt. St. Mary's on their home floor? Or Buffalo struggling against D2 Le Moyne on their home floor? Or Clemson struggling to beat St. Peter's on their home floor? Or Mississippi State struggling to beat sub 300 McNeese state on their home floor?

95% (probably more) of teams will have a game where they struggle against vastly inferior competition. Nature of the game. Most will have multiple where they struggle against inferior competition. The point of this thread is a reminder that one game is merely a data point in a season full of data points. You gotta look at all of them, not just the bad ones.
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #162 on: December 06, 2018, 09:56:55 PM »
This thread topic is silly.  It's an exercise in trying to justfiy and continue to make room for mediocre 4.25 years of mediocre performance of Boy Wonder. 

I don't see too many folks here trying to make room for so many mediocre years of mediocre performance by Shaka.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #163 on: December 06, 2018, 11:22:38 PM »
At home, Arizona trailed Utah Valley State by 12 at halftime before a monster second half gave them an 11 point win.

Only one I got today.
TAMU

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #164 on: December 07, 2018, 02:38:08 PM »
Didn't really know where to throw this but does anyone know why the ASU v Nevada game is:
A) Being played in LA
B) Starting at 11CST/9PST?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #165 on: December 07, 2018, 02:43:34 PM »
Didn't really know where to throw this but does anyone know why the ASU v Nevada game is:
A) Being played in LA
B) Starting at 11CST/9PST?

Last game of a triple header.  Basketball Hall of Fame Classic.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #166 on: December 07, 2018, 11:20:43 PM »
Already covered in the Big East non-conference thread, but Providence and the widely praised coach Ed Cooley lost to UMass at home. They had an 18 point lead at halftime and a 15 point lead with 11 minutes left. By the next media timeout UMass used a 14-2 run to cut the lead to 3. That's a bad three minutes.

At a lower level, top 75 UNC Greensboro needed a go ahead shot with 11 seconds left in order to beat 3-7 #288 Elon. So it's not just high majors who sometimes struggle against inferior competition. My guess is UNC Greensboro's season will go better than that 1 point win would suggest.
TAMU

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #167 on: December 08, 2018, 08:49:12 PM »
Unfortunately KState joins this list and loses to 122 Tulsa on the road.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #168 on: December 08, 2018, 09:06:35 PM »

If only Boy Wonder could coach as well as The Greatest Coach Ever maybe we'd be able to lose to mediocre teams at home rather than beating two top-15 teams in back to back weeks.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #169 on: December 08, 2018, 09:49:59 PM »
Neither team was ranked but I4 beat 'ville. Does this help us? Hurt us? Or doesn't matter?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #170 on: December 08, 2018, 10:09:55 PM »
Neither team was ranked but I4 beat 'ville. Does this help us? Hurt us? Or doesn't matter?

Well in the past, it would be a wash unless one of them ended the season closer to one of the quadrant cutoffs. With the NET, who da fook knows?
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #171 on: December 08, 2018, 11:22:23 PM »
Well in the past, it would be a wash unless one of them ended the season closer to one of the quadrant cutoffs. With the NET, who da fook knows?

Was wondering this, too. Glad to see I'm not the only clueless one on this.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #172 on: December 08, 2018, 11:38:32 PM »
Busy day today, let's see what we got.

#2 Kansas trailed at half and gutted out a three point victory at home to the very solid but still inferior New Mexico State Aggies.

#9 Kentucky falls in overtime on a neutral court to a Seton Hall team ranked outside of the top 50 in KenPom

#11 Florida State managed an 8 point win that was within 5 points in the final minutes against a UConn team ranked near the back of the top 100 on a neutral court.

As pointed out by Floorslapper our resume took a slight hit as #16 Kansas State falls on the road by 1 to a Tulsa team not ranked in the top 100.

I don't believe their ranking, but #25 Furman was down at half to 2-8 sub 300 USC Upstate before a monster second half gave them a 14 point win.

Indiana State is 6-2 this season and ranked in the top 150 but they only escaped with an 8 point victory against D2 Truman State.

Northern Iowa isn't as good this season as they usually are but still a top 175 type squad. They trailed at half and then won by single digits against D3 Dubuque.

Arkansas is a top 50 squad this season but lost at home to Western Kentucky who is currently ranked outside the top 100.

Syracuse was ranked to start the season and is still top 20 in KenPom. But they trailed #80 Georgetown by 13 at half before squeaking out a 1 point win at home.

Colorado took on #173 UIC at home and the game was within 4 points with 2 minutes left. The Buffs ended with final 2 minutes and ended up winning by 12.

Finally, #85 San Diego State loses to #180 California.

TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #173 on: December 08, 2018, 11:44:01 PM »
Busy day today, let's see what we got.

#2 Kansas trailed at half and gutted out a three point victory at home to the very solid but still inferior New Mexico State Aggies.

#9 Kentucky falls in overtime on a neutral court to a Seton Hall team ranked outside of the top 50 in KenPom

#11 Florida State managed an 8 point win that was within 5 points in the final minutes against a UConn team ranked near the back of the top 100 on a neutral court.

As pointed out by Floorslapper our resume took a slight hit as #16 Kansas State falls on the road by 1 to a Tulsa team not ranked in the top 100.

I don't believe their ranking, but #25 Furman was down at half to 2-8 sub 300 USC Upstate before a monster second half gave them a 14 point win.

Indiana State is 6-2 this season and ranked in the top 150 but they only escaped with an 8 point victory against D2 Truman State.

Northern Iowa isn't as good this season as they usually are but still a top 175 type squad. They trailed at half and then won by single digits against D3 Dubuque.

Arkansas is a top 50 squad this season but lost at home to Western Kentucky who is currently ranked outside the top 100.

Syracuse was ranked to start the season and is still top 20 in KenPom. But they trailed #80 Georgetown by 13 at half before squeaking out a 1 point win at home.

Colorado took on #173 UIC at home and the game was within 4 points with 2 minutes left. The Buffs ended with final 2 minutes and ended up winning by 12.

Finally, #85 San Diego State loses to #180 California.

You're just pointing these out as an excuse for our loss to Wisconsin. Oh wait ...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #174 on: December 09, 2018, 03:14:52 AM »
If I'm hearing you correctly, you are saying that nobody goes undefeated.     Hmmmmmm.    I will ponder that.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.