[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Music Thread  (Read 36380 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Music Thread
« on: November 16, 2018, 01:04:51 PM »
Didn't want to make a thread just for Mumford and Sons' album released today, but did want to see if any Scoopers had an opinion on it.  Also figured music is a topic worth discussing.

Regarding Mumford's new album, I didn't like much of it the first time around, but the more I listen to it the more I like it.  It was the same way with the last album they released.  I think the genre change just throws me off the first time I hear them.  Pretty slow so interested to see what they do for their live shows (will be going to the one at the Fiserv at the end of March), but again, was worried about how their new album was going to translate to live music with their last album to the point that I almost sold my tickets, ended up deciding to go to the concert, and thought they were phenomenal as always, so I think they'll be fine.  But overall I think it's pretty solid.

Other artists/musicians I enjoy include Brett Dennen, Mat Kearney, and Judah and the Lion.

Not really a fan of their music, but after having seen a clip of the Imagine Dragons guy on The Ellen Show and the clip below, I like what the lead singer seems to be about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-kxqt41WSs

I've also been enjoying Lupe Fiasco as a bit of a change of genre/pace for me.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Music Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 01:53:01 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Yq8gnxGFpI

I don't know how to link to a certain point of the video, but the last 20 seconds is key
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 02:01:44 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Yq8gnxGFpI

I don't know how to link to a certain point of the video, but the last 20 seconds is key

Old stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rId6PKlDXeU

2015 stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsP-MjIueL4

Newest album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MUtLluODK0

No problem if people don't like Mumford and Sons, but their last 2 albums are nothing remotely similar to what their old stuff was, nor are they similar to each other.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 02:08:54 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 02:16:27 PM »
Oh you don't need to tell me. I enjoy Mumford and Sons (though not enough to have listened to the new album). I just enjoyed the clip.
TAMU

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 03:15:53 PM »

Not really a fan of their music, but after having seen a clip of the Imagine Dragons guy on The Ellen Show and the clip below, I like what the lead singer seems to be about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-kxqt41WSs

Interesting HBO movie (Believer) about the lead singer's fight with depression and his effort to get the Mormon Church (he is a Mormon) to accept LGBT kids.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 03:21:18 PM »
Interesting HBO movie (Believer) about the lead singer's fight with depression and his effort to get the Mormon Church (he is a Mormon) to accept LGBT kids.

Yup.  That's a lot of what he talked about on The Ellen Show.  Didn't realize there was an HBO movie on it.  Talked about how the first time he was able to relate with the friends he had growing up that were LGBT was when he was kicked out of BYU for having sex with his girlfriend of 4 years when to him it was an act of love and beauty yet he was made to feel ashamed.  Seems like a down to Earth, interesting guy.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 03:26:42 PM »
As the father of an 11 yob, Imagine Dragons gets a lot of play.    I won't say it is great, I will say that it is better than 90% of what is currently played on commercial radio.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 03:28:53 PM »
As the father of an 11 yob, Imagine Dragons gets a lot of play.    I won't say it is great, I will say that it is better than 90% of what is currently played on commercial radio.

Agreed.  They're okay.  But also incredibly overplayed, which makes them less great.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 03:34:45 PM »

Concur.
For my 12 yob, it's either them or 21 Pilots.

My 11 yog, however, shares my taste in music, unfortunately for her (indie/alt rock). She came home from school the other day and declared, "Dad, no one has ever heard of any of the bands I like."
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 03:39:21 PM »
Concur.
For my 12 yob, it's either them or 21 Pilots.

My 11 yog, however, shares my taste in music, unfortunately for her (indie/alt rock). She came home from school the other day and declared, "Dad, no one has ever heard of any of the bands I like."

I get that, too.    My 11 yob has an near encyclopedic knowledge of 80's stuff and will bust out a lyric anytime somebody says something that closely approximates said lyric.    Along with Irish drinking songs.      Will debate the relative merits of Van Halen with David Lee Roth vs Sammy Hagar.    Ponders why he can't sing like the guy from AC/DC.  (whisky and cigarettes, young man, whisky and cigarettes), dreams of hitting that impossible note at the end of 'Take on Me'....... yeah, I am a crap father. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 03:44:21 PM »
Will debate the relative merits of Van Halen with David Lee Roth vs Sammy Hagar.

Uh...what's there to debate?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2018, 04:09:34 PM »

I try to explain to my 12 and 10 year olds that a electronic drum beat and auto tune isnt music.  I'm not having much luck.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2018, 04:14:53 PM »
On the plus side, the kid can sing almost the entire Hamilton soundtrack and loves U2s 'Songs of Experience'.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2018, 04:39:54 PM »
Couldn't agree more (plus the 21 Pilots mention) for 10yob and 12yob.

My proud moment this week was I had Audioslave on and my 10 year old says "never heard of them", so i ask him 'ignoring the singer who does the band sound like?' *2 minute pause* "kinda sounds like RATM". 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2018, 05:07:56 PM »
I get that, too.    My 11 yob has an near encyclopedic knowledge of 80's stuff and will bust out a lyric anytime somebody says something that closely approximates said lyric.    Along with Irish drinking songs.      Will debate the relative merits of Van Halen with David Lee Roth vs Sammy Hagar.    Ponders why he can't sing like the guy from AC/DC.  (whisky and cigarettes, young man, whisky and cigarettes), dreams of hitting that impossible note at the end of 'Take on Me'....... yeah, I am a crap father.

Good stuff Tower. Some of my best memories growing up are of singing along to my parents' favorite music while driving with them. I was a 90s kid and liked all the music of the time but my parents raised me on Fleetwood Mac, James Taylor, and a whole bunch of Jam Bands.....and Eddie Money for some reason. Still know every word of the Rumors album from front to back.
TAMU

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2018, 05:27:38 PM »
Along with Irish drinking songs.

HA! I thought it was just me.
I half expected to receive a call from school that one of my kids was singing Whiskey in the Jar in class.
Then I remembered it was Catholic school, so...
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2018, 05:45:11 PM »
I can happily say I've never heard a Migos song in my life, but this is pretty friggin good.  The guy in the Phillies hat is my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irVIUvDTTB0

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2018, 06:01:28 PM »
Turning my 18 year old nephew onto Guster, Weezer, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Ben Folds are among my prouder moments as an uncle.  In turn he has expanded my library to include The Happy Fits, Gorillaz, Felly and the late Mac Miller. All excellent choices.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2018, 06:02:14 PM »
Historical hot take: INXS very underrated.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2018, 06:44:14 PM »
Saw the first concert of the Kick tour.  East Lansing.  Michael Hutchense referring to a lyric sheet
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 08:11:27 PM by tower912 »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2018, 06:58:56 PM »
Couldn't agree more (plus the 21 Pilots mention) for 10yob and 12yob.

My proud moment this week was I had Audioslave on and my 10 year old says "never heard of them", so i ask him 'ignoring the singer who does the band sound like?' *2 minute pause* "kinda sounds like RATM".

RATM is one of my faves. First time I heard Audioslave, I absolutely loved them. Only took a couple songs to think, Hey, sounds like Tom Morello on guitar.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2018, 07:54:30 PM »
Historical hot take: INXS very underrated.
Absolutely.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2018, 08:45:10 PM »
RATM is one of my faves. First time I heard Audioslave, I absolutely loved them. Only took a couple songs to think, Hey, sounds like Tom Morello on guitar.
Check out the one album he did with Street Sweeper Social Club, it’s fantastic. Boots Riley (who’s political stance is extreme by my POV and also the writer/director of the movie ‘sorry to bother you ‘) is a great front man

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2018, 05:51:34 AM »
I know I may be in the minority here , but I always enjoyed the three tenors:  Plácido Domingo, José Carreras and Luciano Pavarotti. I attended a concert at the old Giants Stadium in the Meadow lands back in the late 90s.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2018, 07:13:08 AM »
I try to explain to my 12 and 10 year olds that a electronic drum beat and auto tune isnt music.  I'm not having much luck.

Parental advice:  If you ever label something as "not music," they aren't going to listen to you.  My dad once said that an electric guitar isn't music because it went through an amplifier. 

That's when I started listening to more Hendrix.

feedback