[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL 2018-19 2.0  (Read 131666 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: NFL 2018-19 2.0
« Reply #1125 on: March 22, 2019, 09:23:11 AM »
Nike stock is at an all-time high. I guess Kaepernick wasn't Kryptonite for that enterprise.

Not sure what Ted Kennedy would say about that, though.

Hic cup.  Ted would say the stock is down 4% after a difficult Q3. Hiccup

Nike shares fell late Thursday following the company reporting "weaker-than-expected sales in North America" during Q3 of its FY '18. Although its earnings "topped analysts' expectations," and total revenue was "in-line with estimates, Nike shares sunk" more than 4% after the bell. In pre-market trading, shares are trading at $88.01, down 4.81% (THE DAILY).
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #1126 on: March 25, 2019, 05:15:02 PM »
The Green Bay Packers will travel to Soldier Field on Sept. 5 for a Thursday night kickoff against the Chicago Bears, the league announced Monday.

Cool. 

Edit to remove moronic statement.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 06:54:16 PM by Sir Lawrence »
Ludum habemus.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1127 on: March 25, 2019, 06:06:04 PM »
The Green Bay Packers will travel to Soldier Field on Sept. 5 for a Thursday night kickoff against the Chicago Bears, the league announced Monday.

Cool.  Cubs should be able to get the field back in shape.  8 days between the Bears game and home stand starting on 9/13

You know the Cubs and Bears play at different stadia, right?

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #1128 on: March 25, 2019, 06:38:34 PM »
Good idea or the end of civilization as we know it ...

-------------------

Two years ago the NFL changed the onside kick rule (only six guys on one side of the ball) for safety reasons.  The result was less than 10% of onside kicks have been recovered.

Now they are seriously considering a new rule that instead of an onside kick, the kicking team can put its offense on the field for a “fourth and 15” play to keep possession.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/03/24/yes-broncos-fourth-and-proposal-actually-has-chance-pass/
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #1129 on: March 25, 2019, 06:52:40 PM »
You know the Cubs and Bears play at different stadia, right?

Monday brain fail.  I saw Soldier and thought Wrigley. 
Ludum habemus.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #1130 on: March 25, 2019, 07:50:32 PM »
Monday brain fail.  I saw Soldier and thought Wrigley.

Wrigley would probably have better turf.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1131 on: March 25, 2019, 07:54:37 PM »
Good idea or the end of civilization as we know it ...

-------------------

Two years ago the NFL changed the onside kick rule (only six guys on one side of the ball) for safety reasons.  The result was less than 10% of onside kicks have been recovered.

Now they are seriously considering a new rule that instead of an onside kick, the kicking team can put its offense on the field for a “fourth and 15” play to keep possession.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/03/24/yes-broncos-fourth-and-proposal-actually-has-chance-pass/

This is being done currently in the AAF, but they are doing 4th and 12.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #1132 on: March 25, 2019, 08:19:26 PM »
This is being done currently in the AAF, but they are doing 4th and 12.

Chicos ... absolutely love your signature. It should be at the top of this message board forever. 

Because it is 100.00% true.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1133 on: March 28, 2019, 08:22:54 PM »
Bye bye Jordan. Hope the rookie is a good one

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1134 on: March 28, 2019, 08:32:46 PM »
Think the bears can find someone that fits their scheme as well or better. They weren't going to pay him this offseason.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1135 on: March 29, 2019, 01:45:46 PM »
Surprised there has been no discussion here on the NFL's new replay policy regarding interference calls/no-calls.

I think they opened up a big can'o'worms that will be painful to many of the 32 coaches who voted unanimously for it.

On pretty much every pass play, a defender touches the receiver. Does this mean there will be a review of every pass play in the last 2 minutes of every game? I think there will be a lot of borderline interference calls that, in the past would not have been even considered.

And how 'bout Hail Marys, which basically are maul-festivals. Let's see how happy some of these coaches are when they lose games because of replay review of Hail Marys. The cryin' is going to be almost as loud as Payton's was after the Saints' loss.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1136 on: March 29, 2019, 03:01:12 PM »
Surprised there has been no discussion here on the NFL's new replay policy regarding interference calls/no-calls.

I think they opened up a big can'o'worms that will be painful to many of the 32 coaches who voted unanimously for it.

On pretty much every pass play, a defender touches the receiver. Does this mean there will be a review of every pass play in the last 2 minutes of every game? I think there will be a lot of borderline interference calls that, in the past would not have been even considered.

And how 'bout Hail Marys, which basically are maul-festivals. Let's see how happy some of these coaches are when they lose games because of replay review of Hail Marys. The cryin' is going to be almost as loud as Payton's was after the Saints' loss.

Agree '82 - making any no-call reviewable stinks and isn't going to make the game any better. Between limited replay and no replay, the former is the lesser of two evils - but so many awesome plays already have us going "are there any flags? did he cross the goal line?" You can't just watch and enjoy a play for the result on the field anymore. This makes the experience worse, not better.

They should just change PI to the college rule - lesser of a 15 yarder or a spot foul. If they're really worried about intentional PI down the field, then add a flagrant variant or something.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1137 on: March 29, 2019, 08:24:25 PM »
The unintended consequence of the replay review on interference will be an uptick in offensive PI calls (especially pick plays) and offsetting PI on both offensive and defensive players on the same play. Don’t focus on the defensive PI, officials will adjust, it’ll be the smart coaches that use the review while on defense that will be strategic.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1138 on: March 29, 2019, 10:03:06 PM »
The unintended consequence of the replay review on interference will be an uptick in offensive PI calls (especially pick plays) and offsetting PI on both offensive and defensive players on the same play. Don’t focus on the defensive PI, officials will adjust, it’ll be the smart coaches that use the review while on defense that will be strategic.

Excellent point.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1139 on: April 04, 2019, 10:14:03 PM »
So I go to my umpiring assignment today -- 7 and 8 year olds playing "machine pitch" (they use a device that, in theory at least, consistently throws the same pitch at the same speed to every kid).

I hold my home plate meeting of coaches. The first guy says, "Hi, I'm Jim," and we shake hands. The second guy says, "Hi, I'm Greg."

It's Greg Olsen, Panthers All-Pro tight end and former Bear. His son T.J. is this age, and Greg is coaching the team.

Let me tell you, he was EXTREMELY intense, mostly with the way he "encouraged" his players: "It doesn't get any easier than a ground ball, guys!" "We have to hit the ball or we stand no chance!" "Just sit there and watch how the other team fields the ball. They do it right!" "I'm sick of watching us play this bad, guys!" Etc.

He didn't quite step over the line to being "one of those" parent/coaches, but it was close. (And maybe he did; I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.) I wanted to tell him to chill out a little, but that's not my job.

Again, these were 7 and 8 year olds. Any ground ball that gets through the infield is pretty much a home run for either team. I rarely umpire this age group, and I'm glad; the whole thing is always a clusterf%ck.

Olsen actually has an excellent reputation here in Charlotte. Does a ton of community service, including at the children's hospital. My wife (a pediatric RN) has seen him with the kids and says he is awesome.

But he needs to chill the eff out when coaching 7/8-year-old machine pitch baseball!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1140 on: April 04, 2019, 11:05:29 PM »
So I go to my umpiring assignment today -- 7 and 8 year olds playing "machine pitch" (they use a device that, in theory at least, consistently throws the same pitch at the same speed to every kid).

I hold my home plate meeting of coaches. The first guy says, "Hi, I'm Jim," and we shake hands. The second guy says, "Hi, I'm Greg."

It's Greg Olsen, Panthers All-Pro tight end and former Bear. His son T.J. is this age, and Greg is coaching the team.

Let me tell you, he was EXTREMELY intense, mostly with the way he "encouraged" his players: "It doesn't get any easier than a ground ball, guys!" "We have to hit the ball or we stand no chance!" "Just sit there and watch how the other team fields the ball. They do it right!" "I'm sick of watching us play this bad, guys!" Etc.

He didn't quite step over the line to being "one of those" parent/coaches, but it was close. (And maybe he did; I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.) I wanted to tell him to chill out a little, but that's not my job.

Again, these were 7 and 8 year olds. Any ground ball that gets through the infield is pretty much a home run for either team. I rarely umpire this age group, and I'm glad; the whole thing is always a clusterf%ck.

Olsen actually has an excellent reputation here in Charlotte. Does a ton of community service, including at the children's hospital. My wife (a pediatric RN) has seen him with the kids and says he is awesome.

But he needs to chill the eff out when coaching 7/8-year-old machine pitch baseball!

slummin' it Nads.  We use 12 year olds for machine pitch umpires.   ;D

How many times did you toss your clicker into the air and catch it?  I think our league's record is 1498 in a 6 inning game.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1141 on: April 04, 2019, 11:37:12 PM »
slummin' it Nads.  We use 12 year olds for machine pitch umpires.   ;D

How many times did you toss your clicker into the air and catch it?  I think our league's record is 1498 in a 6 inning game.

I ump whatever my supervisor tells me to do. I mostly do 11-12 year olds, but I also work plenty of 10U and Babe Ruth (13-16).

No clicker tossing for me. I'm afraid I wouldn't catch it and it would hit me in the eye!

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1142 on: April 12, 2019, 08:03:53 AM »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1143 on: April 12, 2019, 11:32:34 AM »

You don't get to the top of your extremely competitive profession being passive and chill!

Olsen is a great dude, met him a couple of times in his Bears days and he's one of the most approachable, considerate, and genuinely good guy athletes you'll meet.  If his one "flaw" is that he's an intense coach for his kids?  I think thats passable.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #1144 on: April 12, 2019, 11:51:23 AM »
Forrest Gregg.  RIP
Ludum habemus.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1146 on: April 13, 2019, 01:52:49 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1147 on: April 14, 2019, 02:47:36 PM »
You don't get to the top of your extremely competitive profession being passive and chill!

Olsen is a great dude, met him a couple of times in his Bears days and he's one of the most approachable, considerate, and genuinely good guy athletes you'll meet.  If his one "flaw" is that he's an intense coach for his kids?  I think thats passable.

I don't know him except to have talked to him in media scrums years ago when we were both in Chicago. He does a lot of volunteer work at the children's hospital where my wife works, and she says he's a great guy.

If it sounded like I was really ripping on him, that's not what I intended to do. Based upon my experience and observations, I simply think he was a little too intense and too negative for 7- and 8-year-olds. That's my opinion. It doesn't mean anything close to "he's a bad guy."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1148 on: April 16, 2019, 02:27:44 PM »
Schedule coming out tomorrow.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1149 on: April 16, 2019, 03:36:24 PM »
Schedule coming out tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to calendarizing when I can write the season off as a lost cause and switch back to baseball.