[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL 2018-19 2.0  (Read 131137 times)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Re: NFL 2018-19 2.0
« Reply #1100 on: March 14, 2019, 12:52:30 AM »

He is an unproven quarterback. Plenty of quarterbacks don’t take that next step. I’m hardly saying he won’t or he can’t.

How about Mahomes?  He also has just one year under his belt.  Will the league adjust to him in a way that Kansas City has to worry about getting a QB next year?
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #1101 on: March 14, 2019, 06:15:31 AM »
How about Mahomes?  He also has just one year under his belt.  Will the league adjust to him in a way that Kansas City has to worry about getting a QB next year?

All QBs are unproven unless they’ve been in the league for 15 years a’la Brady.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1102 on: March 14, 2019, 07:51:16 AM »
What about the Heisman Trophy means that someone is or will be a good NFL QB? LI have a toothachert, Bradford, Tebow, Manziel, Griffin, Winston, Crouch, Weinke, and Wuerffel are curious.

I "think" Baker will be a good QB. But we will see what happens when the league adjusts to him this year.

And Bradford, Griffin and Winston were each all-rookie quarterbacks too.  Griffin obviously was injured, but Bradford and Winston were scouted and figured out.  Mayfield has to take that next step - and that is certainly not a guaranty by any means.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #1103 on: March 14, 2019, 08:08:10 AM »

And Bradford, Griffin and Winston were each all-rookie quarterbacks too.  Griffin obviously was injured, but Bradford and Winston were scouted and figured out.  Mayfield has to take that next step - and that is certainly not a guaranty by any means.

Even considering that he needs to take the next step, Mayfield already is a better QB than anything we have had since the return in 1999.

Also how many of those guys broke the rookie record for TDS despite not playing in all games this year?  Factor in that some of his starts were under an incompetent head coach and it’s even more impressive.  Not concerned at all about our FQB.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1104 on: March 14, 2019, 08:49:17 AM »
Even considering that he needs to take the next step, Mayfield already is a better QB than anything we have had since the return in 1999.

Don’t forget about Derek Anderson! Although he killed my fantasy team the next year.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1105 on: March 14, 2019, 08:53:06 AM »
What about the Heisman Trophy means that someone is or will be a good NFL QB? LI have a toothachert, Bradford, Tebow, Manziel, Griffin, Winston, Crouch, Weinke, and Wuerffel are curious.

I "think" Baker will be a good QB. But we will see what happens when the league adjusts to him this year.

Cause he’s consistently risen above or beaten expectations from college to the NFL. His first year was way better than Bradford’s and much more efficient than Winston’s.

I’m not saying he’s a shoo-in for perennial all-pro or finished product, but looking at him or the Browns prospects with two new weapons with pronounced skepticism is pretty lame.

I’d worry more about a new coaching stuff and a relatively green HC before worrying about QB when it comes to assessing the Browns potential

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #1106 on: March 14, 2019, 09:34:15 AM »
Don’t forget about Derek Anderson! Although he killed my fantasy team the next year.

Anderson was ok but he only had one good season.  Mayfield is way better.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #1107 on: March 14, 2019, 12:07:21 PM »
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/qbase-2018

Mayfield was projected to be off the charts good, and in the second half of last year he confirmed that he would likely live up to that. Of course he could turn out to be a bust still, but I think with the added weapons and a half year of data pointing the other way, the likelihood he's anything but a very good starter for a long time is very very low at this point.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #1108 on: March 14, 2019, 01:27:02 PM »
This guy is a genius.  America's team.  Superbowl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoFF6P-3zac&feature=youtu.be

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1109 on: March 14, 2019, 03:03:21 PM »
I think the Bears played the safety market well. I also thought Clinton Dix or Gipson would be who they'd eventually end up signing to replace Amos. One year prove it deal for Clinton Dix at $3.5 for a guy who needs to be capable and solid is a good signing in this market. For where they are at salary cap wise and with pay days coming up for key guys, this is way better than having paid Amos in the neighborhood of $10 mil per year which is what the Packers are paying to Amos. Amos had the better year last year and may be slightly better than Clinton Dix, but that's a good deal for the Bears in this safety market.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1110 on: March 14, 2019, 03:49:24 PM »
I think the Bears played the safety market well. I also thought Clinton Dix or Gipson would be who they'd eventually end up signing to replace Amos. One year prove it deal for Clinton Dix at $3.5 for a guy who needs to be capable and solid is a good signing in this market. For where they are at salary cap wise and with pay days coming up for key guys, this is way better than having paid Amos in the neighborhood of $10 mil per year which is what the Packers are paying to Amos. Amos had the better year last year and may be slightly better than Clinton Dix, but that's a good deal for the Bears in this safety market.

As a Packer fan, I love the Bears signing of Dix.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1111 on: March 14, 2019, 04:12:36 PM »
As a Packer fan, I love the Bears signing of Dix.

Player A
$3.5 million guaranteed, 1 year
2018 missed tackles 8

Player B
$20 million guaranteed, 2 years (essentially)
2018 missed tackles 9

Player A career average per year higher in Tackles, Sacks, Interceptions, Forced Fumbles, Pass Deflections. Both players will be 26 when 2019 season starts.

I’m more than fine going with Player A as a Bears fan.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1112 on: March 14, 2019, 04:32:28 PM »
Player A
$3.5 million guaranteed, 1 year
2018 missed tackles 8

Player B
$20 million guaranteed, 2 years (essentially)
2018 missed tackles 9

Player A career average per year higher in Tackles, Sacks, Interceptions, Forced Fumbles, Pass Deflections. Both players will be 26 when 2019 season starts.

I’m more than fine going with Player A as a Bears fan.

I'm going with my eyes.

I'm sure your numbers are correct, but now 2 teams wanted nothing to do with the guy. You will love it when he makes a great play - but then watch for the missed tacked and plays where he is utterly lost and out of position.

The Packers had hoped he would be their guy for years to come, but he wanted no part of being a leader on the field and they dumped him DURING the season even though they had no replacement.

Wondering if other Packer fans here feel the same as I.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1113 on: March 14, 2019, 04:46:25 PM »
I'm going with my eyes.

I'm sure your numbers are correct, but now 2 teams wanted nothing to do with the guy. You will love it when he makes a great play - but then watch for the missed tacked and plays where he is utterly lost and out of position.

The Packers had hoped he would be their guy for years to come, but he wanted no part of being a leader on the field and they dumped him DURING the season even though they had no replacement.

Wondering if other Packer fans here feel the same as I.

For the record, Amos is probably entering his prime and has a higher ceiling than Dix. Amos is also going to be asked to do more than he had to in Chicago. I think Amos is solid and will be curious to see how he handles a bigger role. He was benched in his first two years in Chicago and nearly cut.

In a market place where safeties have been getting big money, to get Dix at $3.5 mil for one season is bargain shopping. I don’t expect an All Pro season from him, but I think he’ll be comfortable playing with his college buddy Jackson and have something to prove.

The biggest difference is the Bears don’t need Dix to be anything but their 10th best player on defense for them to be successful. Amos has to be a top 3 producer in Green Bay (and he may do that) for them to be successful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1114 on: March 14, 2019, 04:58:42 PM »

In a market place where safeties have been getting big money, to get Dix at $3.5 mil for one season is bargain shopping. I don’t expect an All Pro season from him, but I think he’ll be comfortable playing with his college buddy Jackson and have something to prove.

I've always liked Dix from afar (especially during his time at Bama), so please don't take this as bashing .... but in a market in which several safeties have landed long-term deals with 8-figure guarantees, is it a red flag that Ha-Ha was only able to get one year at $3.5 million?
Maybe he wanted a prove-it deal and hopes to hit FA again next year in a weaker safety class, but it seems unusual given all the money being thrown around at the position.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #1115 on: March 14, 2019, 05:06:44 PM »
I'm sure your numbers are correct, but now 2 teams wanted nothing to do with the guy.

I had heard the Reskins offered him a 1yr contract to stay, but he took the Bears offer.

Regardless, though, as a Bears fan, I'm not feeling warm and fuzzy about the secondary yet.
Plenty of time left to build depth, and I agree with Dish that HHCD was a bargain, but boy, they are one injury away from being really shaky on the back end.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1116 on: March 14, 2019, 05:14:11 PM »
I've always liked Dix from afar (especially during his time at Bama), so please don't take this as bashing .... but in a market in which several safeties have landed long-term deals with 8-figure guarantees, is it a red flag that Ha-Ha was only able to get one year at $3.5 million?
Maybe he wanted a prove-it deal and hopes to hit FA again next year in a weaker safety class, but it seems unusual given all the money being thrown around at the position.

It’s been reported by a few different guys that Dix turned down more money elsewhere to sign with Chicago.

This was a very top heavy safety market. Bears went hard after Weddle immediately. Collins/Thomas/Matthieu were all going to get big deals, and then Amos/Weddle were right there after. Eventually supply/demand was going to squeeze some guys (Boston is still out there). The Eric Berry market will be interesting. A lot of good safeties coming out in the draft as well.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1117 on: March 14, 2019, 05:15:50 PM »
I had heard the Reskins offered him a 1yr contract to stay, but he took the Bears offer.

Regardless, though, as a Bears fan, I'm not feeling warm and fuzzy about the secondary yet.
Plenty of time left to build depth, and I agree with Dish that HHCD was a bargain, but boy, they are one injury away from being really shaky on the back end.

Far and away, to me, is they were very lucky in the injury department last season. I can’t imagine that happens again this year.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1118 on: March 14, 2019, 06:01:33 PM »
For the record, Amos is probably entering his prime and has a higher ceiling than Dix. Amos is also going to be asked to do more than he had to in Chicago. I think Amos is solid and will be curious to see how he handles a bigger role. He was benched in his first two years in Chicago and nearly cut.

The biggest difference is the Bears don’t need Dix to be anything but their 10th best player on defense for them to be successful. Amos has to be a top 3 producer in Green Bay (and he may do that) for them to be successful.

It'll be fun to see which one of us is right on this guy..

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1119 on: March 14, 2019, 06:13:08 PM »
Secund tyme weave agreed, Dix sucks, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1120 on: March 14, 2019, 10:18:21 PM »

5 years to judge a'ina? Cheeks Law.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1121 on: March 14, 2019, 10:20:04 PM »
5 years to judge a'ina? Cheeks Law.

Applies to coaching in college and some marriages....use at your own risk when applying to anything else.....
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1122 on: March 14, 2019, 10:52:11 PM »
It’s been reported by a few different guys that Dix turned down more money elsewhere to sign with Chicago.

This was a very top heavy safety market. Bears went hard after Weddle immediately. Collins/Thomas/Matthieu were all going to get big deals, and then Amos/Weddle were right there after. Eventually supply/demand was going to squeeze some guys (Boston is still out there). The Eric Berry market will be interesting. A lot of good safeties coming out in the draft as well.

Weren't a lot of Packer Backers saying Dix sux now? I honestly don't know if he does or not, because I don't see him enough. I just seem to remember that. Should be interesting when Bears and Packers meet, though I guess that's a fun game most of the time regardless of who occupies the jerseys.

I'm happy with the safety my Panthers re-signed, Eric Reid. Played very well after signing last season. He's still young, and he can play either strong side or weak side. My boyz still need another good one, though.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1123 on: March 19, 2019, 07:38:03 PM »
don't...don't don't don't don't

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1124 on: March 21, 2019, 03:22:18 PM »
Kapernick and Reid settle their collusion case with a confidentiality agreement. Mike Freeman is already hearing that Kaepernick was paid somewhere in the $60M to $80M range.

FAKE NEWS

Less than $10M. 

Sources: Kaepernick, Reid Getting Less Than $10M In Settlement

Colin Kaepernick and Panthers S Eric Reid will receive less than $10M to "settle grievances" with the NFL, according to sources. The confidential agreement was "widely celebrated as a victory for the players." However, the settlement is worth "far less than the tens of millions of dollars" Kaepernick, especially, "would have likely been owed if his grievance had prevailed." An NFL spokesperson declined to comment. An attorney for Kaepernick and Reid said that "they are respecting the deal’s confidentiality agreement" (WSJ.com, 3/21).
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

feedback