[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL 2018-19 2.0  (Read 131166 times)

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
Re: NFL 2018-19 2.0
« Reply #625 on: January 14, 2019, 02:32:07 PM »
Re-posting this because the Bears today left the door wide open to an eventual contract with Hunt. If I had to peg a timeframe, I would say during the draft or right after the draft, a two year deal with little guaranteed money, something along those lines. I think they'd aim for that timeframe so Hunt can show them contrition, and it would allow the news of his signing to get buried nationally in the news surrounding the draft (somewhat at least). Of course if more Hunt stuff comes out or he gets into more trouble, everything would be off the table.

2 questions:
1. You think they would do that after the Ray McDonald Fiasco?

2. Nagy didn't see super pleased with the Cody Parkey media tour. Have to assume he will be gone.  Thoughts?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #626 on: January 14, 2019, 02:38:09 PM »
Re-posting this because the Bears today left the door wide open to an eventual contract with Hunt. If I had to peg a timeframe, I would say during the draft or right after the draft, a two year deal with little guaranteed money, something along those lines. I think they'd aim for that timeframe so Hunt can show them contrition, and it would allow the news of his signing to get buried nationally in the news surrounding the draft (somewhat at least). Of course if more Hunt stuff comes out or he gets into more trouble, everything would be off the table.

Maybe on a Friday at 4:45p, or scheduled 15 minutes after the Mueller report.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #627 on: January 14, 2019, 02:42:56 PM »
2 questions:

2. Nagy didn't see super pleased with the Cody Parkey media tour. Have to assume he will be gone.  Thoughts?

No
Yes.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #628 on: January 14, 2019, 02:49:13 PM »
2 questions:

Going to find out how much pull Nagy has in the organization. Howard doesn't fit the scheme and the Bears definitely have a need for a three down back. That said, I still doubt George signs off.

Parkey was done with the Bears prior to the media tour. Might as well get some TV time.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #629 on: January 14, 2019, 02:58:02 PM »
2 questions:

I think they will sign him, yes. My thought process here is the biggest need Nagy sees on offense is a different type of back than Howard/Cohen, and Hunt fits Nagy's scheme ideally. I think they'll go to the McCaskey's and line out the risk/reward here. Risk is obvious, and I think Nagy and Pace are going to try to use the equity they built up from this season to say the reward here is Hunt is a back that Nagy knows, fits the scheme, is cheap, and they build a contract to get out of it quick if things go south. It doesn't cost them draft capital, the contractual dollars will be very cheap.

Personally as a fan of the team, I'm not a fan of the idea, but I can envision it playing out the way I described above. At that presser today, they all but said "We're very interested".

I don't think Parkey is back. I think the Today show appearance killed any thought they had of bringing him back. I don't see how the guys in the locker room can look him in the face. I think they would have brought him to camp next year otherwise, simply because of his contract, but now I think they'll cut him, Sims, and Long, and as weird as it sounds, the Parkey cut will be the one that costs them the most money.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #630 on: January 14, 2019, 03:06:14 PM »
Still mad about that Dion Simms contract. You signed Burton and drafted Shaheen so you didn't have to pay Simms, yet here we are a year later...

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #631 on: January 14, 2019, 03:16:30 PM »
Still mad about that Dion Simms contract. You signed Burton and drafted Shaheen so you didn't have to pay Simms, yet here we are a year later...

Would rather Dan Brown get Simms minutes.

but now I think they'll cut him, Sims, and Long, ...

Say what now?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #632 on: January 14, 2019, 03:18:01 PM »
I think they will sign him, yes. My thought process here is the biggest need Nagy sees on offense is a different type of back than Howard/Cohen, and Hunt fits Nagy's scheme ideally. I think they'll go to the McCaskey's and line out the risk/reward here. Risk is obvious, and I think Nagy and Pace are going to try to use the equity they built up from this season to say the reward here is Hunt is a back that Nagy knows, fits the scheme, is cheap, and they build a contract to get out of it quick if things go south. It doesn't cost them draft capital, the contractual dollars will be very cheap.

Personally as a fan of the team, I'm not a fan of the idea, but I can envision it playing out the way I described above. At that presser today, they all but said "We're very interested".

After listening to the press conference, that was my read as well. I still don't see George signing off. But, Nagy has a lot of time to sell this.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #633 on: January 14, 2019, 03:41:29 PM »
All 4 conference finalists being 1-4 in points scored is definitely placing the onus on the Bears to figure out a way to score more points next year, and I think Nagy/Pace realize windows close quickly, and their defense will regress in some form next year.

Long will be 30 entering the 2018 season and has been beaten up with injuries. His play hasn't been as good, be it from the injuries or age. Cutting Long would net $5.5 million in 2019 and more importantly free up $8.1 million in 2020. He may be on the roster in 2019, but he for sure will not be on it at his current contract in 2020, especially with contracts coming up next year for Floyd and Jackson.

Sims is probably the easiest cap cut you'll see, he'll create $6 mil upon being cut.

The Parkey contract is a big issue. You never want to cut someone who's dead cap is more than their cap hit, but that's the case with Parkey in 2019. Cutting him will cost $5.2 mil this year in dead cap, and other $1.1 next year. They almost have to cut Long, in order to cut Parkey. The net net then is you still have to find and pay replacements for both Long and Parkey, ideally through the draft on both.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #634 on: January 14, 2019, 07:01:13 PM »
All 4 conference finalists being 1-4 in points scored is definitely placing the onus on the Bears to figure out a way to score more points next year, and I think Nagy/Pace realize windows close quickly, and their defense will regress in some form next year.

Long will be 30 entering the 2018 season and has been beaten up with injuries. His play hasn't been as good, be it from the injuries or age. Cutting Long would net $5.5 million in 2019 and more importantly free up $8.1 million in 2020. He may be on the roster in 2019, but he for sure will not be on it at his current contract in 2020, especially with contracts coming up next year for Floyd and Jackson.

Sims is probably the easiest cap cut you'll see, he'll create $6 mil upon being cut.

The Parkey contract is a big issue. You never want to cut someone who's dead cap is more than their cap hit, but that's the case with Parkey in 2019. Cutting him will cost $5.2 mil this year in dead cap, and other $1.1 next year. They almost have to cut Long, in order to cut Parkey. The net net then is you still have to find and pay replacements for both Long and Parkey, ideally through the draft on both.

The easy solution is to have a kicker that can make kicks.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #635 on: January 14, 2019, 07:46:39 PM »
Maybe I just don't know enough, but isn't it a big deal that MLB execs are going with A's execs?

Edit: I would say. Considering they're going to change their rules/laws for him: https://www.barstoolsports.com/barstoolu/kyler-murray-demands-15-million-from-the-oakland-as-or-else-hes-entering-the-nfl-draft-tomorrow

Murray opts for NFL Draft today.

Can still negotiate with A's.   I found it to be a bit over the top that MLB execs granted A's a way to do this.  Panic may be strong, but they don't want to see this kid lost out to the NFL and they are making exceptions to see that it doesn't happen.  Will it be enough?  Either way, Mr. Murray with leverage. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #636 on: January 14, 2019, 10:55:33 PM »
seems like chicago sports teams will turn a blind eye to domestic violence if it will help their teams performance enough.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #637 on: January 15, 2019, 12:08:01 AM »
Either way, Mr. Murray with leverage.

Good. I like it when the athlete has the leverage! I hope he gets exactly what he wants from whichever team/sport he wants.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #638 on: January 15, 2019, 12:19:02 AM »
Good. I like it when the athlete has the leverage! I hope he gets exactly what he wants from whichever team/sport he wants.

When the athlete truly deserves it, and earned that leverage, sure.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #639 on: January 15, 2019, 09:31:30 AM »

More interesting stat ... the four conference finalists rank 1-4 in early down success rate.
It seems obvious, but hammers home the point that teams that avoid third downs, and especially third and long, do better.

Speaking of Parkey, I found it interesting that Nagy criticized Parley for the sin of going on the TV show while calling Kareem Hunt a "really, really good kid."
I understand it's a results business and if you want to sign Kareem Hunt because you think he'll rush for 1,300 yards and help you win games, I get that. But Nagy (and others who would sign Hunt) blowing smoke about second chances and the high character of guy who clearly doesn't have high character is stupid and can only come back to haunt him.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #640 on: January 15, 2019, 09:50:35 AM »
More interesting stat ... the four conference finalists rank 1-4 in early down success rate.
It seems obvious, but hammers home the point that teams that avoid third downs, and especially third and long, do better.

Speaking of Parkey, I found it interesting that Nagy criticized Parley for the sin of going on the TV show while calling Kareem Hunt a "really, really good kid."
I understand it's a results business and if you want to sign Kareem Hunt because you think he'll rush for 1,300 yards and help you win games, I get that. But Nagy (and others who would sign Hunt) blowing smoke about second chances and the high character of guy who clearly doesn't have high character is stupid and can only come back to haunt him.

Both very astute points, especially the latter. Parkey made a silly decision going on Today (in my opinion), but by all other accounts, he's a model citizen/great guy. Hunt's a bad dude (and I don't mean that in the positive way when I use the term dude). I would much rather hear them just come out and say "he's got demons that needs to be addressed before we give him a chance to help us win football games". I'm not saying I'd still like having him on my team, but you're right that quotes like that will only come back to haunt him and the Bears.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #641 on: January 15, 2019, 10:27:18 AM »
Both very astute points, especially the latter. Parkey made a silly decision going on Today (in my opinion), but by all other accounts, he's a model citizen/great guy. Hunt's a bad dude (and I don't mean that in the positive way when I use the term dude). I would much rather hear them just come out and say "he's got demons that needs to be addressed before we give him a chance to help us win football games". I'm not saying I'd still like having him on my team, but you're right that quotes like that will only come back to haunt him and the Bears.

Right ... just say you hope he's learned from his mistakes and you believe he can have a positive impact on the team. Trying to sell this as anything more than a football decision is so disinegenuous.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #642 on: January 15, 2019, 07:09:29 PM »
When the athlete truly deserves it, and earned that leverage, sure.

Real question - when does an athlete have leverage, but not deserve it. Or any employee for that matter.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #643 on: January 16, 2019, 12:48:51 AM »
Real question - when does an athlete have leverage, but not deserve it. Or any employee for that matter.

When they are along for the ride, not doing their job, but cannot be fired realistically because they are protected.  That’s one example....there are plenty currently on strike here in LA...just as there are plenty currently on strike here in LA that deserve a lot more.  That’s part of the problem, those going along for the ride get the goodies, too, have some leverage when they aren’t’t pulling their weight.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #644 on: January 16, 2019, 11:14:12 AM »
When they are along for the ride, not doing their job, but cannot be fired realistically because they are protected.  That’s one example....there are plenty currently on strike here in LA...just as there are plenty currently on strike here in LA that deserve a lot more.  That’s part of the problem, those going along for the ride get the goodies, too, have some leverage when they aren’t’t pulling their weight.

Athletes have leverage in LA and are not doing their jobs? Huh?

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #645 on: January 16, 2019, 11:41:22 AM »

Are you really gonna pick a fight with a guy that just updated his avatar to the American flag? Sad!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #646 on: January 16, 2019, 12:13:46 PM »
Are you really gonna pick a fight with a guy that just updated his avatar to the American flag? Sad!

I take a knee every time I see his avatar.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #647 on: January 16, 2019, 07:07:47 PM »

He said for that matter any employee....all you had to do was read....it’s literally all you had to do.

I gave him an example of any employee, just as he asked.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #648 on: January 17, 2019, 04:16:33 PM »
I take a knee every time I see his avatar.

Hoo knew, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #649 on: January 20, 2019, 05:26:03 PM »
Man, that sucks for New Orleans... horrible non-call almost certainly cost them a trip to the Super Bowl.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

feedback