'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: U(gh, so)M(any) B(ri)C(ks) thoughts  (Read 18818 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: U(gh, so)M(any) B(ri)C(ks) thoughts
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2018, 08:31:41 AM »
Don't cee wear Markus has improved over his career. Given his size deficiency and such, all dis talk 'bout the Association, is poppycock, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ducs

• Walk-On
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2018, 08:41:01 AM »
Wonder if they’ll dim the arena lights and do the flames during a timeout again?  Thought it was a little odd

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2018, 08:44:41 AM »
Don't cee wear Markus has improved over his career. Given his size deficiency and such, all dis talk 'bout the Association, is poppycock, aina?

I'd have to see what the numbers show, but he's a better finisher at the rim. He still doesn't see the game as a PG though. So much dribbling and shot hunting last night.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2018, 08:47:43 AM »
I'd have to see what the numbers show, but he's a better finisher at the rim. He still doesn't see the game as a PG though. So much dribbling and shot hunting last night.

I guess I don't really agree with this.  I don't see many high quality PGs that play the game different than Markus does now. 

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2018, 08:54:12 AM »

I thought Markus played pretty damn well with the ball in his hands

He just couldn’t make sh it. Typically that part won’t happen.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2018, 08:58:56 AM »
I guess I don't really agree with this.  I don't see many high quality PGs that play the game different than Markus does now.

I have the luxury of seeing things develop from my seat, but there were many times last night where he missed open guys because he was trying to set up his own shot off the dribble.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2018, 09:00:30 AM »
Then you aren't watching. 

DJOver, to my eyes, the most impressive defensive play by a freshman last night was Bailey stripping the point guard out near mid court.    6'8 picking the pocket of the guard straight up.       I also enjoyed the block party.         

I know I beat the drum last year about the lack of size being the fundamental problem with our pick and roll defense.     Last night, UMBC got Markus to switch onto their rolling big.    MH fronted the big, similar to how Villanova handled it last year.    This year, all of the collapsing help was 6'7-6'9.    Combine that with the added length in the passing lanes.    Yes, it was only UMBC.    Who isn't Kansas, or IU, or Nova.     But it is a start. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2018, 09:08:19 AM »
Some great transition defense, as well. At least a couple plays where UMBC should have had an easy layup -- and MU's athleticism and good positioning led to either a block or a poor shot.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2018, 09:09:56 AM »
morrow starting...getting pulled immediately...then not starting the second half and getting 9 minutes was interesting...

we are either going to play small or morrow/matt will get time because theo knows how to foul. 

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2018, 09:23:02 AM »
Favorite part of the game... mere seconds left and UMBC just stole the ball.  It becomes a 2 on 1 situation against Bailey and it looks like our foes were going to pad their numbers just a bit to soften their loss.  Bailey was having none of it and all by himself defended amazingly well against them, keeping the differential at 25 at the buzzer.  This kid will be real good!

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2018, 09:34:25 AM »
The highlight of the game was the defense.  Certainly looks better not having 2 smalls (Markus and Rowsey) on the floor and better size/strength.

Hard to take much away from this game.  UMBC was 206 in offense last year, and lost their best player/go to go, 30+% Usage, Jarius Lyles.

Watched some of the Duke vs Kentucky game - and watching Duke play was like watching an NBA team.  The kid Zion Williamson is like none I've ever seen.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2018, 09:39:59 AM »
I'm not surprised at the number of minutes that Heldt received.  He will play meaningful minutes but I think John and Joey are better players and offer more on the court this year and the following years.  Hopefully Morrow just had a bad game.

This is Howard's and Sam's team and deservedly so as they are our best players.  They will get over 30 minutes a game except in blowouts or foul trouble issues.

I am surprised that Anim played as much as he did.  I think he is the beneficiary of Greg being hurt.  I would like to see Cain out there more.

Offense was too stagnant with 1 on 1 play in the second half.  When the shots are not falling, we need to have better movement off the ball. 

Defense and height is much improved.  Should be a great year.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2018, 09:46:20 AM »
First of all Brother and Sister Scoopers, you do know that Marcus scored 15 last night and as bad as our shooting was, our scoring was more balanced than it has been in a long time.

Second, there were times last night when I thought Marcus was Butch Lee, the way he drove the lane. The fact that we did more than camp out on the three line last night was one of the most promising things about the game.

Third, I like the new Computing Castle/Forum. Was on the lower deck and thought the place had some of the character of the old arena. A little gimmicky at times but it’s gonna be fun, especially as we compete for a Natchamp.

I was more concerned I don't get a free pizza. Real casualty of the night.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2018, 09:51:16 AM »
What are the conditions for the free shakes @ Shake Shack? Is that good today? Have to show a ticket?

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2018, 09:55:29 AM »
It's true the offense bogged down at times. Some of that is on Markus. But everyone on the court is responsible for movement, spacing and passing -- not just the point guard. I'm sure this was a point of emphasis by the coaching staff during and after the game. Given that Markus dished out 7 assists, it's hard to say he wasn't looking for his teammates.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2018, 10:06:46 AM »
What are the conditions for the free shakes @ Shake Shack? Is that good today? Have to show a ticket?

I am going to try and make the one at the Chicago Athletic Association to honor it.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2018, 10:08:19 AM »

FR at the rim: 28/54 51.9%
SO at the rim: 70/125 56.0%
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2018, 10:29:51 AM »
Man,  reading some of these posts you'd think wed won by single digits. We beat a team by 25 in a game that the oddsmakers said we should win by 17-20 when our three point shooters couldn't hit Lake Michigan from Bradford Beach. I'm not sure how this game is anything but encouraging

I can tell you for a fact that a specific (read: my) bookmaker had us as 21 points favorites. It took much longer than I expected for us to hit that spread, but all's well that ends well.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 10:32:31 AM by skianth16 »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2018, 10:31:50 AM »

Better finisher at the rim and much better defender from his freshman year. Night and day difference in both areas. Will need to see what he's developed for this season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2018, 10:40:01 AM »
I'm not surprised at the number of minutes that Heldt received.  He will play meaningful minutes but I think John and Joey are better players and offer more on the court this year and the following years.  Hopefully Morrow just had a bad game.

This is Howard's and Sam's team and deservedly so as they are our best players.  They will get over 30 minutes a game except in blowouts or foul trouble issues.

I am surprised that Anim played as much as he did.  I think he is the beneficiary of Greg being hurt.  I would like to see Cain out there more.

Offense was too stagnant with 1 on 1 play in the second half.  When the shots are not falling, we need to have better movement off the ball. 

Defense and height is much improved.  Should be a great year.

Sacar was third on the team in minutes last  year, and he earned that time through his defensive play. Plus, as the year progressed, so did his offense. Right now, Sacar is probably the best on-ball defender and is probably 2nd only to Markus at getting to the hoop from the perimeter to create his own shot. 

He won't be averaging 30+ minutes per game by the end of the year, but with defense being Wojo's focal point right now, it makes sense to have your defensive leader on the floor a lot. I wouldn't be surprised to see him getting 30 minutes against IU, KU, KSU as a way to set the tone defensively. Once the team begins to mesh and other guy are more comofrtable, then Sacar's minutes will drop a little. I would expect that he'll still be getting 22-25 minutes come conference play, though.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2018, 11:20:07 AM »
No doubt. MU needed OT to beat a cupcake last season. Last year,
If they shot similarily,  this is a close game. I came away encouraged as well. Lowest Opponent FG% since 2004 and people are worried about Heldt’s playing time. Matt Heldt. Haha.

First of all, relatively few Scoopers seem discouraged after last night's game. Most recognize that we couldn't hit a shot and yet we still blew out our opponent.

Sure, Dr. Drivel couldn't resist taking a shot at Markus, but for the most part, I see encouraged Scoopers.

Even most of those who grumbled about Ed and JCS acknowledged that they rushed too quickly to judgment with Katin and Lockett.

And I'm not sure I see many Scoopers "worried about Heldt's playing time."

He was the starting center all last season but in Game 1 of this season he didn't play in the first 39 minutes. It's interesting, and it's certainly a subject worthy of being discussed on a fan forum. I'd have been stunned if it wasn't discussed. I don't sense a lot of "worry" there, though.

I, for one, am the opposite of worried; less Heldt means a better Warrior Eagle team.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2018, 11:28:59 AM »

And I'm not sure I see many Scoopers "worried about Heldt's playing time."

We just don't want him to transfer.
Have some patience, FFS.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2018, 11:38:59 AM »
14. College basketball being back makes me so happy.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2018, 11:45:01 AM »
Couple observations having witnessed the game and just now reading this thread.

1) LOVED Theo overall and especially that time the guy got inside and both Theo and Brendan just assassinated him with a double hard foul.  Nobody gets to our rim this year and doesn't pay a price.  We have enough skilled big men to make a statement.

2) Poor shots were very few and far between.  As Eng said, Chartouny seemingly completely forgot what Wojo had just said in the huddle, got yanked, grabbed by the shirt, aggressively pointed at, and sent to the bench to think about it.  Then was back in the game.  Again, we've got enough guys that Wojo doesn't have to bite his lip anymore.  Markus, on the other hand, continued to play within the gameplan, never took a bad shot that I remember, and had to be thinking WTF when he literally clanked a free throw.  No worries. Crap happens.  He has a normal game and we win by 35.

3) Didn't Cain seem active, especially on the glass?  The kid is an athlete and will really help us.  Feel the same way about Brendan. Both are really going to contribute this year. 

fjm

• All American
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2018, 11:52:30 AM »
I played basketball in middle school, scored 3 points over 3 seasons. So I ask this in complete humbeled honesty...

Is it possible that the depth or some lighting changes is causing some of the missed 3pointers etc? Like it is taking time getting used to? Or is this me just trying to explain an off night or two?