[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vote  (Read 30243 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Vote
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2018, 11:26:13 AM »
An hour long wait in my voting precinct.  Viva Democracy!

8 voting stations in a precinct of 10, 000

Hmm .. 8 for 10k sounds .. fine.  Better than fine.

We have 3 locations for 14k people.  And our village is in the top 10 for voting %age, in the 80% range.   

There are some lines at morning/evening rush hours, but < 30 mins for sure. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2018, 11:37:20 AM »
I voted about two weeks ago and was amazed that I had to stand in line for about 30 minutes. There's a polling station on campus near where I work. I poked my head down there a few times over the last few weeks and there was never not a line that looked at least 15 minutes long. For an on-campus station in a mid term election I was surprised. Maybe they finally got the millennials and Igens to the polls!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2018, 11:40:02 AM »
I wish early voting enabled you to block all the political ads and reminders to vote.

Winner!

Voted last week and woulda loved this. I do have a pretty quick "clicker finger," though, and heard about as few ads as possible.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2018, 11:52:32 AM »
I wish early voting enabled you to block all the political ads and reminders to vote.

I started trolling in response.

"I'll be honest, I was gonna vote for [candidate spamming me], but since you contacted me, I'm going to vote for [opponent]. And, I hope [opponent] wins by one vote, so that you can look back at your ill-advised choice to spam the citizens you hope to represent and know that it is your fault [volunteer jackwagon], that [candidate spamming me] lost."

cathartic.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2018, 11:59:14 AM »
24 minutes in rural McHenry County. First time I've ever waited.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2018, 12:01:41 PM »
I started trolling in response.

"I'll be honest, I was gonna vote for [candidate spamming me], but since you contacted me, I'm going to vote for [opponent]. And, I hope [opponent] wins by one vote, so that you can look back at your ill-advised choice to spam the citizens you hope to represent and know that it is your fault [volunteer jackwagon], that [candidate spamming me] lost."

cathartic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSffASRnUQU

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2018, 12:06:30 PM »
I’ve got a late afternoon meeting. Need to get in and out of my polling place after quickly so I can watch bball games before MU. Hope everything for me turns out all right, hey?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2018, 12:58:28 PM »
Hmm .. 8 for 10k sounds .. fine.  Better than fine.

We have 3 locations for 14k people.  And our village is in the top 10 for voting %age, in the 80% range.   

There are some lines at morning/evening rush hours, but < 30 mins for sure.

No.   One polling location with 8 kiosks (?) in which to mark your ballot and then insert it into one machine.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2018, 01:20:50 PM »
Early voting results are in.  Donuts narrowly defeated cupcakes 8-7, so my son's kindergarten teacher will be bringing in donuts tomorrow.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2018, 01:22:01 PM »
Early voting results are in.  Donuts narrowly defeated cupcakes 8-7, so my son's kindergarten teacher will be bringing in donuts tomorrow.

The correct choice was made

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2018, 02:23:15 PM »
Tell me again why we want more people to vote?

Also, why is voting the only civic duty where we feel the need to brag we did it?     I don't go around bragging that I paid sales tax at lunch today...   :o

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2018, 03:05:50 PM »

You really feel the need to ask this?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2018, 03:10:55 PM »

Also, why is voting the only civic duty where we feel the need to brag we did it?     I don't go around bragging that I paid sales tax at lunch today...   :o

I PAID SALES TAX AT LUNCH TODAY!    AND TIPPED!    WOOT!
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2018, 03:11:02 PM »
No.   One polling location with 8 kiosks (?) in which to mark your ballot and then insert it into one machine.   

Ah .. that's no good.   We have 3 places, maybe 8 booths, one machine each location.  Our bottleneck is the 3 polling workers who are looking up your name, checking ID, getting you to sign, handing you a ballot.

So .. this all being said, I'm curious how these waits are allowed to continue. 

In Wisconsin, it's the municipality that draws the wards and selects the polling spots .. while those are typically drawn by the staff/management, they are voted on by the council/board/trustees.   I was a trustee in 2011 and did exactly this, after the 2010 census.

So .. if there were giant lines, as an elected official living in the area, I'd receive complaints -- and would be pissed too, after all, these are people in my neighborhood being denied a reasonable path to voting.

So this is what I don't understand.  Maybe it's different in each state.  Saw on Twitter that there are 3 hour waits in Atlanta.  The Atlanta City Council is .. mostly minority members.  Aren't they outraged?  Weren't they outraged 2-4-6 years ago when this happened before?

It's not galactically difficult to have more polling stations, helpers, booths.   How does this keep happening?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2018, 03:11:13 PM »

Tragic. I suppose it depends on the kind of doughnuts and cupcakes, and you can’t go wrong with either, but that’s not my doughnut.

Because when less people vote you end up with Donald Trump running your country?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2018, 03:12:53 PM »
Ah .. that's no good.   We have 3 places, maybe 8 booths, one machine each location.  Our bottleneck is the 3 polling workers who are looking up your name, checking ID, getting you to sign, handing you a ballot.

So .. this all being said, I'm curious how these waits are allowed to continue. 

In Wisconsin, it's the municipality that draws the wards and selects the polling spots .. while those are typically drawn by the staff/management, they are voted on by the council/board/trustees.   I was a trustee in 2011 and did exactly this, after the 2010 census.

So .. if there were giant lines, as an elected official living in the area, I'd receive complaints -- and would be pissed too, after all, these are people in my neighborhood being denied a reasonable path to voting.

So this is what I don't understand.  Maybe it's different in each state.  Saw on Twitter that there are 3 hour waits in Atlanta.  The Atlanta City Council is .. mostly minority members.  Aren't they outraged?  Weren't they outraged 2-4-6 years ago when this happened before?

It's not galactically difficult to have more polling stations, helpers, booths.   How does this keep happening?
I have voted in the same place since 1994.   I get the feeling my municipality sent out the standard amount for any normal mid term election, failing to account for the high turnout. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2018, 03:21:44 PM »
Do they not have early voting in Wisconsin?
Have some patience, FFS.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2018, 03:21:53 PM »

Wearing a sticker is stupid af (no offense to the many wearing one, but..)

People feel righteous and special for voting. I don’t get it. Might as well wear a “I washed my hands after hitting the John (pause)” sticker
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2018, 03:34:57 PM »
Do they not have early voting in Wisconsin?
they do

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2018, 03:37:22 PM »
they do

That is the way to go.  Other than my state senator standing next to Victoria's Secret begging me to vote for him (apparently he was the legal distance from the empty storefront in the mall that was set up as a polling place), it was fast and uneventful.
Have some patience, FFS.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2018, 03:40:05 PM »
Indeed .. WI has early voting, absentee voting .. and those methods are growing massively -- which means pressure at the election day sites should be trending down.

Turnout is always a mystery, but it's best to guess high in November.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2018, 03:56:16 PM »

I drove to work without speeding today!!!**

**a lie

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2018, 03:59:31 PM »
Ah .. that's no good.   Our bottleneck is the 3 polling workers who are looking up your name, checking ID, getting you to sign, handing you a ballot.

I waited a half hour in a REALLY SLOW line this morning.  When I got to the front of the line, I realized why it was so slow.  The three really nice ladies that were looking up the names and checking IDs were older than dirt.    A n d   s l o w   A F .    If they put one old experienced person in there with a couple students, I bet I wouldn't have waited more than 10 minutes.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2018, 04:03:11 PM »

Sounds like it would have been a win either way.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2018, 04:06:10 PM »

Because voter suppression is not in the best interests of a democratic society.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.