[Today at 02:48:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Engineering  (Read 7985 times)

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
MU Engineering
« on: October 31, 2018, 02:34:00 PM »
I frequently travel to the GE Power Advanced Manufacturing Center in Greenville, SC and several times now have run into MU Engineering grads who are part of the GE Edison internship program. This is a high intensity 3 year program where newly minted engineers are thrown into challenging engineering projects aimed at solving real business priorities. GE recruits from a rather select list of schools so I was pleased to see that MU was part of that mix (which I believe started with the acquisition of Marquette Medical back in the 90's.)

We are working with Power and Renewable Energy to address some issues on transmission and line loss. Yesterday, we interviewed several Edisons at the Innovation Center to join our team working on bi-directional inverters. There were candidates from Georgia Tech, MIT, and Purdue but we hands down agreed that the MU guy was the best for what we needed. One year out of Marquette as an ME and he will be an integral part of a team developing the next generation of 2-3 MW power conversion technology.

As an aside, I later asked if he knew of Scoop and he of course did. He said, however, that among current students and recent grads it is known for being a bunch of opiniated old guys arguing ceaselessly about stupid sh1t. Realizing what he said he started back pedaling but I cut him off saying I was in complete agreement. From the mouths of babes...
"I don't care what Chick says, my mom's a babe" 

theBabyDavid

Archies Bat

• All American
Re: MU Engineering
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 02:44:41 PM »

As an aside, I later asked if he knew of Scoop and he of course did. He said, however, that among current students and recent grads it is known for being a bunch of opiniated old guys arguing ceaselessly about stupid sh1t. Realizing what he said he started back pedaling but I cut him off saying I was in complete agreement. From the mouths of babes...

He's wrong, it is not ceaseless.  We all need a break for our naps.

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 02:54:30 PM »
If they don't like it, they can stay off our lawn, er I mean website

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 03:04:03 PM »
Gonna need some Arby's after reading that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 03:14:16 PM »
Get there for the early bird special and try to not get into a fight. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 03:15:39 PM »
Jeez, the point of the post is that recent MU Engineering grads are not just in demand but making a difference in the world.

I know that GE Healthcare snapped up biomed engineering grads by the handful but the alums I am meeting in Greenville today are MEs. And to a man they are impressive.

theBabyDavid

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 03:50:20 PM »
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 04:24:33 PM »

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 04:39:20 PM »
There were candidates from Georgia Tech, MIT, and Purdue but we hands down agreed that the MU guy was the best for what we needed. One year out of Marquette as an ME and he will be an integral part of a team developing the next generation of 2-3 MW power conversion technology...As an aside, I later asked if he knew of Scoop and he of course did. He said, however, that among current students and recent grads it is known for being a bunch of opiniated old guys arguing ceaselessly about stupid sh1t.

So, not only a talented engineer, but wise beyond his years.  Good hire.  Good luck.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 04:57:18 PM »

So, not only a talented engineer, but wise beyond his years.  Good hire.  Good luck.

An exceptionally sharp young engineer. Proud to say he is a Marquette grad.

theBabyDavid

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2018, 06:43:16 PM »
Internet bullies like ****** need to know that Ranger-tabbed warriors are sick of his gutless sh1t

I was curious what exactly this meant, but apparently it means you finished the 61-day Ranger training course in the US or Canadian Army. It has to do with being proficient in infantry combat in certain physical, but not virtual, environments.

I'm curious what relevance this has to curbing "internet bullies", regardless of who?

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2018, 07:05:27 PM »
I was curious what exactly this meant, but apparently it means you finished the 61-day Ranger training course in the US or Canadian Army. It has to do with being proficient in infantry combat in certain physical, but not virtual, environments.

I'm curious what relevance this has to curbing "internet bullies", regardless of who?

75th Ranger Regiment is a regiment, and is what most common-folk think of when they think of an "elite Ranger." Ranger school, on the other hand, is a course, for which you receive a tab.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 08:22:44 PM by Babybluejeans »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2018, 07:19:52 PM »
And to a man they are impressive.

No broads in the program, aina?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 08:22:04 PM »
An exceptionally sharp young engineer. Proud to say he is a Marquette grad.

But did he have an au pair growing up?

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 09:54:04 PM »
As a current controls engineer for a floundering Big 3 Auto company..... they hiring???

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2018, 10:46:47 PM »

AFSOC TACPs embedded with Ranger teams go through the Ranger School House. Upon graduation they earn the right to wear the Ranger tab.

Ranger School is a ball buster that teaches small unit tactics. Fully qualified SEALs, Marine Force RECON, AFSOC TACPs, PJs, and Special Tactics airmen, and SF Q course grads are eligible for the training. Few are selected for this challenge; even fewer make it through.

If one has the mental and physical strength plus the character and integrity to make it through Ranger School you join an elite group of men whose toughness and resolve is beyond question. Ranger tabbed warriors go out and do the impossible. More importantly, they are willing to make the supreme sacrifice for something bigger than themselves.

Internet bullies, on the other hand, infest the other end of the human spectrum. They could never get in to Ranger School much less hope to graduate. The essence of Ranger training is teamwork; internet bullies are solitary vermin who have a pathological need to be right or to seem smarter than others.

They spend all day, every day, hiding behind avatars and shouting down others with an absurd compulsion to be better than they are in reality. They barrage others with their posts which number in the ridiculous.   

It is easy to be a bully, especially in an anonymous world. Internet tough guys are cheap and vulgar. They are contemptible for their cowardice. These are the sorts who would sh1t themselves standing on the ramp at night preparing to jump from 28,000'; much less, they would never actually HALO deep inside enemy country to carry out an 11 day covert mission for their country.

You have to ask, what sort of an existence is it to post on a sports website dozens of times a week to argue with strangers about meaningless topics? Year after year after year?

Some people left Marquette and went out and did something. They created. They invented. They explored. They improved. They were compelling.

Others posted tens of thousands of shrill, petulant cries of anguish in a dark night. One either comprehends not only the difference but the magnitude of the despair. Real toughness versus presumed.

theBabyDavid

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2018, 10:52:28 PM »
75th Ranger Regiment is a regiment, and is what most common-folk think of when they think of an "elite Ranger." Ranger school, on the other hand, is a course, for which you receive a tab.

And AFSOC TACPs, once tabbed, are embedded with elements of the 75th. These teams carry out covert operations behind enemy lines to deliver decisive air power.

Since you seem so dismissive you must be a Ranger?

I doubt it since a Ranger knows what TACPs do. My guess is that the closest you got to the Ranger School was driving by on your way to the base barber shop to get a Ranger High and Tight.   

theBabyDavid

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2018, 11:13:03 PM »
As a current controls engineer for a floundering Big 3 Auto company..... they hiring???

We are doing another project with GE Power for hydrogen fueled engines. We actually need controls/SCADA engineers to work in Seattle, Waukesha, and Austria.

GE is selling the on-site, recip business to Advent International, a hedge fund run by a great group guys. This H2 technology was a key factor in Advent's acquisition of the non-gas turbine enterprise.

The IP we are developing will belong to us and GE but the deal gives Distributed Power first mover advantage in the marketplace since our application engineering is on their products which range from 100 kW to 10 MW.

What would be valuable is knowledge of lean burn recips, hydrogen reforming, carbon sequestration, and AI.

PM me if interested. I will be in Waukesha in two weeks so I could meet while in WI.

theBabyDavid

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2018, 06:38:12 AM »
We are doing another project with GE Power for hydrogen fueled engines. We actually need controls/SCADA engineers to work in Seattle, Waukesha, and Austria.

GE is selling the on-site, recip business to Advent International, a hedge fund run by a great group guys. This H2 technology was a key factor in Advent's acquisition of the non-gas turbine enterprise.

The IP we are developing will belong to us and GE but the deal gives Distributed Power first mover advantage in the marketplace since our application engineering is on their products which range from 100 kW to 10 MW.

What would be valuable is knowledge of lean burn recips, hydrogen reforming, carbon sequestration, and AI.

PM me if interested. I will be in Waukesha in two weeks so I could meet while in WI.

As a recovering ME myself it's great to hear we are still turning out high quality engineers. When I'm on campus for networking or recruiting I'm generally impressed but good to know it's not just my impression.

Control/SCADA competencies are hard to find in the market right now. We're trying to embed more SCADA training in college programs but it's been hard for the academic types to look beyond the theoretical to the practical
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2018, 08:24:32 AM »
AFSOC TACPs embedded with Ranger teams go through the Ranger School House. Upon graduation they earn the right to wear the Ranger tab.

Ranger School is a ball buster that teaches small unit tactics. Fully qualified SEALs, Marine Force RECON, AFSOC TACPs, PJs, and Special Tactics airmen, and SF Q course grads are eligible for the training. Few are selected for this challenge; even fewer make it through.

If one has the mental and physical strength plus the character and integrity to make it through Ranger School you join an elite group of men whose toughness and resolve is beyond question. Ranger tabbed warriors go out and do the impossible. More importantly, they are willing to make the supreme sacrifice for something bigger than themselves.

Internet bullies, on the other hand, infest the other end of the human spectrum. They could never get in to Ranger School much less hope to graduate. The essence of Ranger training is teamwork; internet bullies are solitary vermin who have a pathological need to be right or to seem smarter than others.

They spend all day, every day, hiding behind avatars and shouting down others with an absurd compulsion to be better than they are in reality. They barrage others with their posts which number in the ridiculous.   

It is easy to be a bully, especially in an anonymous world. Internet tough guys are cheap and vulgar. They are contemptible for their cowardice. These are the sorts who would sh1t themselves standing on the ramp at night preparing to jump from 28,000'; much less, they would never actually HALO deep inside enemy country to carry out an 11 day covert mission for their country.

You have to ask, what sort of an existence is it to post on a sports website dozens of times a week to argue with strangers about meaningless topics? Year after year after year?

Some people left Marquette and went out and did something. They created. They invented. They explored. They improved. They were compelling.

Others posted tens of thousands of shrill, petulant cries of anguish in a dark night. One either comprehends not only the difference but the magnitude of the despair. Real toughness versus presumed.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2018, 09:07:54 AM »

Mix one part of Keefe's need for continuous self-fellation with one part of hatred for the guy that busted him for plagiarizing a white supremacist site and viola, a signature block is born.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2018, 09:52:55 AM »

Others posted tens of thousands of shrill, petulant cries of anguish in a dark night. One either comprehends not only the difference but the magnitude of the despair.

Help me understand this point Keefe. You seem to have some disdain for those who spend a lot of time on sites like Scoop. Lord knows I probably spend way too much of my life thinking, posting, and writing about Marquette basketball.

Why I'm confused is because at a time, you had one of top 7 or 8 post counts on this site. In fact, despite you old account's nearly year long hiatus, your still #11 on the all time list, with over 600 posts between you and #12. On top of that, you are one of the newer posters in that top 11, so it's not just longevity. At one point, you were one of the top 2 or 3 posters in terms of posts per day, behind only the legendary Bailbondsman and possibly Sultan. Surely someone with your educational background can understand why some of us might see a disconnect between your words above and your past actions.

As for the rest of your post, thank you for your service and your contributions to the field of energy. I have recommended this to you before, but I'll reiterate, I think you should read Matthew chapter 6 verses 1-6. It's one of my favorite bible passages and one I try to live out in my life every day. I would love to know your thoughts on it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2018, 09:57:45 AM »
So are MU engineers any good? All I remember after that weird internet feud is that recent MU grads aren't into weird internet feuding.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2018, 11:28:14 AM »
Some of us achieve great things but don't talk about it, because we're busy doing. It's in our nature, so there's no compulsion to boast.

Others may be products of lifelong, deep insecurities about their self-worth that eventually grow in the corners of their subconscious, twisting them into gnarled, insufferable gasbags, bragging emptily about vague accomplishments before slipping into decay. And in their final moments of lucidity, the unsatisfying film rolling in their mind reaches the end of its reel, and the narrator whispers "Hillary."

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2018, 11:33:03 AM »
Some of us achieve great things but don't talk about it, because we're busy doing. It's in our nature, so there's no compulsion to boast.