[Today at 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[Today at 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Engineering  (Read 8028 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: MU Engineering
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2018, 11:57:25 AM »
Mix one part of Keefe's need for continuous self-fellation with one part of hatred for the guy that busted him for plagiarizing a white supremacist site and viola, a signature block is born.

I think I missed something...

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2018, 12:04:16 PM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2018, 02:13:03 PM »
Great read about some real world engineering, thank you.

On the subject of PTSD, we need some understanding and compassion.

As the warriors age the only memory left is from the war, whatever war.

At the end my father could not remember that the world trade center was destroyed, he would say, they did what??,  they knocked down the WTC?  Nevertheless, he knew every battle he was in, at night he would roam around his home with a club looking for Nazies. He was 90.  He was protecting my mother, but the VA said he was in fact a danger to my mother because he might have mistaken her for an enemy.

My best golf partner can't sleep without the nightmares, he has made plans to end it, he just has not picked out the date.  He is no RANGER patch guy, just an old grunt who was in the wrong place at the wrong time.  He has been successful in business, raised three great kids, has a beautiful Chinese doctor as his wife, but the pain is just getting too much.

Had lunch with a young man a few weeks ago, Citadel graduate, former Marine Officer, 4 tours in Anbar,  no hero war stories, he runs for hours every day to keep it together, as a young man, it's working.   His life is unmanageable, Marriott Corp. is helping him, time will tell.

Want another one?  Ritchie, he came back from Vietnam and lived in a hole in the woods for a few years.  He was no hero, he just carried the dead on his back and the are still there, more so as time passes.

Or my carpenter who was a door gunner on a slick who would hose down the helicopter floor to get the blood out.

How about my father, a combat infrantry officer, no RANGER patch, lost 16 men from his company his first night in combat.  As a kid I watched him pull people out of cars and beat them up, I watched him beat up my Boy Scout leader.

My wife's brother, airborne, seargent, came back from Vietnam and ended it with his pistol. Or my long time friend, a retired general, former SES who cries , every time he goes to the wall over a friendly fire incident he was involved in.

So when I read, see and hear the pain of combat survivors I get it.   I really understand and I hope my little diatribe against war might help some of you understand as well.  We hear a lot about the brave well trained heros, we hear very little about what comes home. 

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2018, 10:26:26 PM »
I frequently travel to the GE Power Advanced Manufacturing Center in Greenville, SC and several times now have run into MU Engineering grads who are part of the GE Edison internship program. This is a high intensity 3 year program where newly minted engineers are thrown into challenging engineering projects aimed at solving real business priorities. GE recruits from a rather select list of schools so I was pleased to see that MU was part of that mix (which I believe started with the acquisition of Marquette Medical back in the 90's.)

We are working with Power and Renewable Energy to address some issues on transmission and line loss. Yesterday, we interviewed several Edisons at the Innovation Center to join our team working on bi-directional inverters. There were candidates from Georgia Tech, MIT, and Purdue but we hands down agreed that the MU guy was the best for what we needed. One year out of Marquette as an ME and he will be an integral part of a team developing the next generation of 2-3 MW power conversion technology.

As an aside, I later asked if he knew of Scoop and he of course did. He said, however, that among current students and recent grads it is known for being a bunch of opiniated old guys arguing ceaselessly about stupid sh1t. Realizing what he said he started back pedaling but I cut him off saying I was in complete agreement. From the mouths of babes...

Should I spend the time trying to figure out which White Supremacist web sight this was plagiarized from?

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2018, 10:36:33 PM »
Great read about some real world engineering, thank you.

On the subject of PTSD, we need some understanding and compassion.

As the warriors age the only memory left is from the war, whatever war.

At the end my father could not remember that the world trade center was destroyed, he would say, they did what??,  they knocked down the WTC?  Nevertheless, he knew every battle he was in, at night he would roam around his home with a club looking for Nazies. He was 90.  He was protecting my mother, but the VA said he was in fact a danger to my mother because he might have mistaken her for an enemy.

My best golf partner can't sleep without the nightmares, he has made plans to end it, he just has not picked out the date.  He is no RANGER patch guy, just an old grunt who was in the wrong place at the wrong time.  He has been successful in business, raised three great kids, has a beautiful Chinese doctor as his wife, but the pain is just getting too much.

Had lunch with a young man a few weeks ago, Citadel graduate, former Marine Officer, 4 tours in Anbar,  no hero war stories, he runs for hours every day to keep it together, as a young man, it's working.   His life is unmanageable, Marriott Corp. is helping him, time will tell.

Want another one?  Ritchie, he came back from Vietnam and lived in a hole in the woods for a few years.  He was no hero, he just carried the dead on his back and the are still there, more so as time passes.

Or my carpenter who was a door gunner on a slick who would hose down the helicopter floor to get the blood out.

How about my father, a combat infrantry officer, no RANGER patch, lost 16 men from his company his first night in combat.  As a kid I watched him pull people out of cars and beat them up, I watched him beat up my Boy Scout leader.

My wife's brother, airborne, seargent, came back from Vietnam and ended it with his pistol. Or my long time friend, a retired general, former SES who cries , every time he goes to the wall over a friendly fire incident he was involved in.

So when I read, see and hear the pain of combat survivors I get it.   I really understand and I hope my little diatribe against war might help some of you understand as well.  We hear a lot about the brave well trained heros, we hear very little about what comes home. 

It sounds like you're implying that Keefe suffers from some PTSD which might be a cause for his obvious serious psychological problems. Except the guys I've run into with PTSD don't want to talk about their military experience whereas with Keefe, you can't get him to shut up about it. 

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2018, 02:51:10 AM »
It sounds like you're implying that Keefe suffers from some PTSD which might be a cause for his obvious serious psychological problems. Except the guys I've run into with PTSD don't want to talk about their military experience whereas with Keefe, you can't get him to shut up about it.

I'm no expert, not a therapist, just a lot of experience.  The way that warriors deal with their combat experiences is complex and very individual.

After my father passed away I went to one of his Division reunions, 103rd Infantry, it was in New Orleans.  I met his first seargent and a man from his company.  When my father came home after the war he had nothing to do with the Army, the Division, the Red Cross or the American Legion. 

His anger was so acute he could not hold a job for most of his working life.  BTW, Marquette accepted me anyway, no requirement in those days of a legacy connection or a background of prevledge. 

In New Orleans I met my fathers first seargent who was president of the association, he went to France and dedicated a number of monuments commemorating the sacrifices of the Division and he helped fund a statue in Texas where they trained.  Their documents are at Southern Texas University.

The last night together we sat in the lobby of the hotel and he cried with me like a baby.  He was in his 80's.  He shared with me how everyone deals with the combat experience differently.

In New Orleans they have the WWII museum and it has a 4D movie with moving chairs, smoke, lights, realistic sound, etc..  Well, after the movie the old men came out with tears in their eyes, it was almost cruel or perhaps it was theraputic.

I was in the Marines "during" Vietnam, I went through OCS at Quantico.  Today I watch the V.A.do some outstanding work with Vets.  They even use cooking classes, and guitar lessons which are  very effective.

I don't know about Keefe, after he attacked me a number of times I put him on ignore, now I just pray for him.  He did mention in a post that he goes to the VA for combat related help and that he is very satisfied with his treatment, that's all I have to go on. 

« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 02:59:54 AM by vogue65 »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2018, 06:26:28 AM »

How about we just leave well enough alone. There is zero need to attack here, just move on from the thread.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."