[June 18, 2024, 09:06:03 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by Herman Cain
[June 18, 2024, 06:55:14 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 18, 2024, 05:53:38 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Uncle Rico
[June 18, 2024, 02:52:17 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tony is a legend but.....  (Read 14508 times)

Mods, Delete me please. 8/26/2020

• Team Captain
Tony is a legend but.....
« on: October 30, 2018, 09:07:00 PM »
Hoo Boy.   Going to need some work if he is going to do this all season.   I felt like i was watching a game with my wife...

"I thought he was going to take that shot".
"Yes dear."
"They should get the ball to the walk-on."
"Yes dear."
"He really missed that one."
"YES DEAR.  DAMMIT, ARENT THOSE HALLMARK CHRISTMAS MOVIES ON YET?"

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Tony is a legend but.....
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 09:33:48 PM »
Cut him some slack. It's his first day on the job.

I bet Jimmy Mac wasn't all that great his first time on the air.
Have some patience, FFS.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 09:38:32 PM »
It'll take him a little time to find a good rhythm with Homer. True with any new broadcast partners.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 09:40:43 PM »
It had nothing to do with rhythm.  He really offered nothing in terms of analysis.

warriorjoe

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 10:08:03 PM »
Preparation is the key. The late Dick Enberg's modus operandi was to prepare three hours for every hour he was on the air.

Too much repetition of the fact that Tony was a Hall of Famer.

Go Warriors!

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 10:12:04 PM »

"YES DEAR.  DAMMIT, ARENT THOSE HALLMARK CHRISTMAS MOVIES ON YET?"

Yes, yes they are...

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 07:14:58 AM »
Yes tony was truly horrible.  Homer kept having to n trying to prod tony to comment.  Hopefully it gets exponentially better quickly,  it was really bad.  If not, hopefully the university has the fortitude to make a move in a better direction.  Great player and great guy but if the dog wont hunt the U will need to make a move.  Without huge improvements it will lose listeners
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 08:12:22 AM »
Yes tony was truly horrible.  Homer kept having to n trying to prod tony to comment.  Hopefully it gets exponentially better quickly,  it was really bad.  If not, hopefully the university has the fortitude to make a move in a better direction.  Great player and great guy but if the dog wont hunt the U will need to make a move.  Without huge improvements it will lose listeners

Homer seems like the kind of guy who would be willing to give Tony some off-air coaching.  Let's hope he does.
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 08:27:05 AM »
Cut him some slack. It's his first day on the job.

I bet Jimmy Mac wasn't all that great his first time on the air.

This.

I'm guessing most announcers have less than stellar first gigs. If he's still repeating the same lines at the end of the season, MU may have a decision to make.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 08:31:07 AM »
I don't know who Tony is, but you all are probably being too hard on this fella if it was his first broadcast. Was he on the broadcast? If so, on what part? I wouldn't know because I had to shut off the volume after hearing the first 30 seconds of whoever the new color commentator is with Home. Mon Dieu! That was rough!

Truthfully speaking, cut him some slack. I actually thought he did okay. He has a good voice for radio and he'll grow into his role.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2018, 08:38:13 AM »

Do people actually listen to the radio broadcast if they have the option to enjoy the game in some other form?  The only time I'd ever listen to the radio broadcast of any sporting event is if I am unable to be watching the game, whether on TV or in person.  And if my only option to enjoy a game is the radio (meaning I'm driving somewhere), I'm not going to give up on listening because the  people calling the game aren't good at calling it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2018, 08:44:21 AM »
I don't know who Tony is, but you all are probably being too hard on this fella if it was his first broadcast. Was he on the broadcast? If so, on what part? I wouldn't know because I had to shut off the volume after hearing the first 30 seconds of whoever the new color commentator is with Home. Mon Dieu! That was rough!

Truthfully speaking, cut him some slack. I actually thought he did okay. He has a good voice for radio and he'll grow into his role.

https://gomarquette.com/news/2018/9/12/mens-basketball-tony-smith-joins-marquette-radio-broadcast-team.aspx

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2018, 08:50:38 AM »
Do people actually listen to the radio broadcast if they have the option to enjoy the game in some other form?  The only time I'd ever listen to the radio broadcast of any sporting event is if I am unable to be watching the game, whether on TV or in person.  And if my only option to enjoy a game is the radio (meaning I'm driving somewhere), I'm not going to give up on listening because the  people calling the game aren't good at calling it.

This.

I just about never listen to the Panthers on the radio for the "hometown call." A few times, I have been on the road and have had no choice. They are SOOOOOO bad. But I keep listening because I want to know what's going on in the game. I grit my teeth until I can get home to the TV.

Now I will say that I do have a couple of friends who will watch Marquette on TV but turn off the volume if it's on FS1/FS2 and Dickey is the analyst. They'll use the interwebs feed of Homer's call. I can't be bothered. Plus, I often watch MU games on a bit of a delay so I can forward through the commercials.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 09:16:02 AM »

Some of the TV announcers are unbearable. I ended up synching the radio broadcast to the TV video and listening to Homer and Mac several times last year.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 09:18:04 AM »
Some of the TV announcers are unbearable. I ended up synching the radio broadcast to the TV video and listening to Homer and Mac several times last year.

Fair enough.  I do agree that some of the TV guys are terrible.  I just don't know that radio calls fit what I'm looking for any better.  Radio calls are to paint a picture.  When I'm already sitting there watching the picture being painted, I don't need that so I don't think I've ever done it that way.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2018, 09:34:37 AM »

Did this as well
Maigh Eo for Sam

Goose

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2018, 10:21:54 AM »
Homer actually seemed frustrated with Tony a couple times during the brief time I listened last night. Homer has been lucky having Brute Force and Mac over the years and hoping he will get Tony up to speed. It was not an easy game to call

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2018, 10:25:11 AM »
I'm not really a big fan of Homer either.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2018, 10:28:41 AM »

Homer is really good!
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2018, 10:33:38 AM »
Homer actually seemed frustrated with Tony a couple times during the brief time I listened last night. Homer has been lucky having Brute Force and Mac over the years and hoping he will get Tony up to speed. It was not an easy game to call

This.

I've only heard Homer as a radio host a handful of times... if that's your beef, fair.  But as an announcer, Homer may not be a legend but he's certainly well above the current average.  Try listening to another team's broadcast sometime.  I can't remember if I was listening to DePaul or Butler broadcast once (not vs. MU), but the play-by-play was so bad that I actually had to look up "cancer of the eardrum" for a list of symptoms.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2018, 10:37:03 AM »
I wonder if its a new crew as well. Homer's mic was on during halftime and apparently was playing in the bathrooms.

As for Tony, all he needs to do is eat an 80 oz steak and he'll be ok. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz19jmgWgN8
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2018, 10:39:38 AM »
Did this as well
Never for me! It's like a spoon. I don't let it bother me. Most I find are pretty dam good. If MU is good, the better crews will work there games.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2018, 10:44:32 AM »
This.

I've only heard Homer as a radio host a handful of times... if that's your beef, fair.  But as an announcer, Homer may not be a legend but he's certainly well above the current average.  Try listening to another team's broadcast sometime.  I can't remember if I was listening to DePaul or Butler broadcast once (not vs. MU), but the play-by-play was so bad that I actually had to look up "cancer of the eardrum" for a list of symptoms.

My only complaint is that in all of his excitement and nicknames he will miss calling some plays occasionally and I'll be left wondering what happened.  I only listen when I don't have the TV feed available so I can't see for myself what's happening.  He makes listening to the game exciting I'll give him that.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2018, 10:57:14 AM »
My only complaint is that in all of his excitement and nicknames he will miss calling some plays occasionally and I'll be left wondering what happened.  I only listen when I don't have the TV feed available so I can't see for myself what's happening.  He makes listening to the game exciting I'll give him that.

I noticed this as well.
This is probably the only game all season I will hear the radio broadcast since the gomarquette.com stream was all that was available, but as I was watching maybe a possession and a half while Homer was off on a tangent, I thought to myself that I would be pissed if I didn't have the video stream.

I thought Tony was fine for his first game.

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

feedback