[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Thread 2019-20  (Read 222556 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: NBA Thread 2019-20
« Reply #1475 on: August 30, 2020, 10:15:35 PM »
I am amazed by the class and intelligence of NBA players.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1476 on: August 30, 2020, 10:24:31 PM »
Game 7. I'm not sure how much of a chance either of these teams stands against LAC but this series is a classic.

Murray is quickly shooting up the list of my favorite players.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1477 on: August 30, 2020, 10:41:26 PM »
Game 7. I'm not sure how much of a chance either of these teams stands against LAC but this series is a classic.

Murray is quickly shooting up the list of my favorite players.

Murray is a dude who always showed flashes and could get scorching hot, but was up and down. But overnight in the bubble, he’s become a certified flamethrower. It’s unreal. His last few games have been jaw dropping

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1478 on: August 31, 2020, 08:28:14 AM »
Jimmy and Jae are cute as heck

https://t.co/HIr5ukUSQ1

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1479 on: August 31, 2020, 08:49:46 AM »
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1480 on: August 31, 2020, 09:21:45 AM »
Fantastic video, Ska. Thanks a ton for posting.

I love Jimmy. Love him!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1481 on: August 31, 2020, 09:35:57 AM »
I am amazed by the class and intelligence of NBA players.

It's really amazing to see how the players have evolved in the last 20 years. I really think that '03 draft class was a turning point for how guys carried themselves and crafted their public image.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1482 on: August 31, 2020, 11:11:40 AM »
While the playoffs go on without the Mavs, just want to wrap things up by saying how much I enjoyed watching Luka Doncic play.

You hear about these great young Europeans and naturally you're skeptical because you haven't had a chance to see them play in college. Some live up to the hype, but many don't.

And then you have Luka ... who has far exceeded the hype even though it was considerable. Looking forward to many years of watching this special talent do his thing.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1483 on: August 31, 2020, 12:44:11 PM »
While the playoffs go on without the Mavs, just want to wrap things up by saying how much I enjoyed watching Luka Doncic play.

You hear about these great young Europeans and naturally you're skeptical because you haven't had a chance to see them play in college. Some live up to the hype, but many don't.

And then you have Luka ... who has far exceeded the hype even though it was considerable. Looking forward to many years of watching this special talent do his thing.

Equally impressive to me is what a cool head he has. From the Harrell situation (even though I felt it was a non story) to MULTIPLE attempts at dirty play on his injured ankle and head by Morris and others, he just wasn’t shook or rattled. He’s going to be a PROBLEM for the rest of the NBA for the next 10-15 years barring injuries

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1484 on: August 31, 2020, 01:28:55 PM »
Equally impressive to me is what a cool head he has. From the Harrell situation (even though I felt it was a non story) to MULTIPLE attempts at dirty play on his injured ankle and head by Morris and others, he just wasn’t shook or rattled. He’s going to be a PROBLEM for the rest of the NBA for the next 10-15 years barring injuries

Yessir. Here's to good health!

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1485 on: August 31, 2020, 01:56:05 PM »
Allen Iverson was one of my favorite players to watch - ever. But I think it is pretty clear who he thought about first.

The group of young players coming up now in the NBA is amazing. I think a lot of that is due to Lebron. MJ only cared about basketball. Lebron adds the social component. Being able to reach out to Obama to discuss the state of affairs is something MJ never would have done. And Mr. Obama's advice to the "King" (a nickname that I hate because Kareem was the original and one true "King") may well have saved the season as Lebron and the Lakers wanted to pull the plug.

There are great players and then there are GREAT players. Guys who transcend basketball. MJ, Bird, Chamberlain, were great players. Guys like Russell, Kareem, Kobe, and Lebron set examples for the young guys that encompasses life over just basketball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1486 on: August 31, 2020, 01:57:48 PM »
Allen Iverson was one of my favorite players to watch - ever. But I think it is pretty clear who he thought about first.

The group of young players coming up now in the NBA is amazing. I think a lot of that is due to Lebron. MJ only cared about basketball. Lebron adds the social component. Being able to reach out to Obama to discuss the state of affairs is something MJ never would have done. And Mr. Obama's advice to the "King" (a nickname that I hate because Kareem was the original and one true "King") may well have saved the season as Lebron and the Lakers wanted to pull the plug.

There are great players and then there are GREAT players. Guys who transcend basketball. MJ, Bird, Chamberlain, were great players. Guys like Russell, Kareem, Kobe, and Lebron set examples for the young guys that encompasses life over just basketball.

Somewhat surprised you've listed Kobe in there... not sure I'd agree given the amount of smoke around him
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1487 on: August 31, 2020, 02:03:42 PM »
Somewhat surprised you've listed Kobe in there... not sure I'd agree given the amount of smoke around him

I probably should have listed Kobe separately.

I put him in because he is/was the most influential guy for this young generation of kids when it came to how the game should be played.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1488 on: August 31, 2020, 02:07:20 PM »

Kobe played 13 years after the sexual assault allegation.  Countless players have come out and talked about what he taught them about work ethic, drive, life balance, taking care of yourself, etc...  He was a lunatic when it came to on the court, but he pushed so many to be the best versions of themselves, as brutal as his methods were.  And by many many accounts, as ruthless as he was in his playing days, was as thoughtful, open, and available as he was in his retirement years.  Many current stars consider Kobe to be a mentor personally, not just someone they looked up to growing up.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1489 on: August 31, 2020, 02:08:56 PM »
Also, it is possible that Kobe actually became a better human being as he matured. That happens to some people, thank goodness.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1490 on: August 31, 2020, 02:18:10 PM »
Kobe played 13 years after the sexual assault allegation.  Countless players have come out and talked about what he taught them about work ethic, drive, life balance, taking care of yourself, etc...  He was a lunatic when it came to on the court, but he pushed so many to be the best versions of themselves, as brutal as his methods were.  And by many many accounts, as ruthless as he was in his playing days, was as thoughtful, open, and available as he was in his retirement years.  Many current stars consider Kobe to be a mentor personally, not just someone they looked up to growing up.

Literally none of this has to do with his raping someone. I am not questioning his work ethic, not questioning him playing for 13yrs after, not questioning whether he helped drive younger players to get better. But I certainly wouldn't put him on a pedestal of being an icon of societal change like Kareem.

Also, it is possible that Kobe actually became a better human being as he matured. That happens to some people, thank goodness.

With all due respect 82, I have a hard time understanding how you would look the other way with Kobe. Your political commentary seems less than forgiving especially with these issues but with this instance you don't seem to be as aggressive. Can I ask why?

"Prosecutors seemed to have a strong case. According to court documents, an examination of the woman at a hospital revealed a bruise on her neck and tears in her vaginal wall. Both her underwear and Bryant’s shirt were bloody. Bryant told the police he had not explicitly asked for consent."

Add that to his lengthy apology, which to me seems in the very least he was on extremely shaky ground.

I don't want to drum up a 17yr old case again but don't think he deserves to be on the pedestal he is.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 02:22:12 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1491 on: August 31, 2020, 02:46:31 PM »
Literally none of this has to do with his raping someone. I am not questioning his work ethic, not questioning him playing for 13yrs after, not questioning whether he helped drive younger players to get better. But I certainly wouldn't put him on a pedestal of being an icon of societal change like Kareem.

With all due respect 82, I have a hard time understanding how you would look the other way with Kobe. Your political commentary seems less than forgiving especially with these issues but with this instance you don't seem to be as aggressive. Can I ask why?

"Prosecutors seemed to have a strong case. According to court documents, an examination of the woman at a hospital revealed a bruise on her neck and tears in her vaginal wall. Both her underwear and Bryant’s shirt were bloody. Bryant told the police he had not explicitly asked for consent."

Add that to his lengthy apology, which to me seems in the very least he was on extremely shaky ground.

I don't want to drum up a 17yr old case again but don't think he deserves to be on the pedestal he is.

This discussion is a perfect example of why sports are better than politics.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1492 on: August 31, 2020, 02:55:01 PM »

You can tell he's having fun out there with he plays. He's always smiling after a big play. Not a cocky or smug smile but it seems like a true getting joy out of your work type smile. Really enjoy his game.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1493 on: August 31, 2020, 03:14:22 PM »

But it has everything to do with his legacy and what he did after the fact.  There was a TON of murky stuff around that incident at the time, that people still disagree on years later.  Much different than a similar situation in a hotel room where Mike Tyson went to prison for rape a decade earlier.  I don't think its fair to be open and shut "Kobe is a rapist who should never been looked upon favorably" which is a stance some still hold.  Since that incident, Kobe seemingly, as 82 said, grew and matured as a person which was corroborated in endless anecdotes from friends, peers, and strangers alike, even well before his death.  Its not like he just stayed out of trouble.

And if you want to go with "he had some blemishes" as a reason not to put him on a pedestal, then call out Russell and his Nation of Islam ties, his outright nasty demeanor to many "neutral" parties cause of racism he perceived or felt elsewhere, etc...

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1494 on: August 31, 2020, 03:25:25 PM »
But it has everything to do with his legacy and what he did after the fact.  There was a TON of murky stuff around that incident at the time, that people still disagree on years later.  Much different than a similar situation in a hotel room where Mike Tyson went to prison for rape a decade earlier.  I don't think its fair to be open and shut "Kobe is a rapist who should never been looked upon favorably" which is a stance some still hold.  Since that incident, Kobe seemingly, as 82 said, grew and matured as a person which was corroborated in endless anecdotes from friends, peers, and strangers alike, even well before his death.  Its not like he just stayed out of trouble.

And if you want to go with "he had some blemishes" as a reason not to put him on a pedestal, then call out Russell and his Nation of Islam ties, his outright nasty demeanor to many "neutral" parties cause of racism he perceived or felt elsewhere, etc...

1. I don't disagree that he matured. I think he got away with a terrible act and never paid for it thus he shouldn't be put on a pedestal. Funny you brought up Mike Tyson, because I was going to write that initially and decided against it for obvious reasons.

2. I don't know anything about Bill Russel and tied to Nation of Islam nor his disagreeable personality so I can't exactly bring it up. But I will take your word for it and take him off my pedestal.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1495 on: August 31, 2020, 05:43:47 PM »
John Thompson, who died today, could easily be included in the list I gave earlier.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #1496 on: August 31, 2020, 06:49:02 PM »
tnt announcer shouting out wojo and and MU. said 3 marquette warriors out there on floor and wojo is texting all his recruits this. not like wojo had anything to do with those 3 but still cool i guess

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1497 on: August 31, 2020, 09:12:55 PM »
Heat walk away with Game 1

Dominant performance by Jimmy in the 4th quarter. Great defense by Jae on Giannis. Wes tried his hardest to contain Butler.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0spXnX0l638" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0spXnX0l638</a>
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 09:15:29 PM by Skatastrophy »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1498 on: August 31, 2020, 10:56:35 PM »
John Thompson, who died today, could easily be included in the list I gave earlier.

If you are going to include coaches, you might want to include Gregg Popovich too.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1499 on: August 31, 2020, 11:33:21 PM »
Jimmy beats the Bucks by taking over in the 4th quarter. Giannis kinda choked.

Meanwhile, some terrible coaching down the stretch for the Rockets, who don’t even try to get Harden involved as Westbrook pisses away the game.

feedback