collapse

* Recent Posts

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:01:08 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Thread 2019-20  (Read 219573 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: NBA Thread 2018-19
« Reply #700 on: June 14, 2019, 08:37:54 AM »
NBA offseason with two max players headed for free agency with a torn Achilles and likely an MCL/ACL tear make for crazy days ahead. With the West now kinda wide open, be really interesting to see what happens with Anthony Davis.

Agree on this.

The Hornets have a max player in Kemba Walker, and there was speculation that he (and not Irving) would join Durant in New York. But that was before Durant blew out his Achilles and might have to miss all of 2019-20. Meanwhile, Kemba told Charlotte reporters a couple days ago that he'd accept less than the max to stay because he wants to win here and knows he won't be able to if he eats up all the cap space.

Interesting times ahead for sure.

On another note ...

I'd be bittersweet if I were a Bucks fan -- or even a Sixers fan. Each team had a nice season, and battled hard in the playoffs, but given the incredible amount of adversity the Warriors experienced, the title was there for an Eastern team to win this season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #701 on: June 14, 2019, 08:45:50 AM »
This Bucks fan keeps going back to the Game 3 2OT loss.  Win that and the Bucks are the ones who could be celebrating this morning.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #702 on: June 14, 2019, 09:01:29 AM »
This Bucks fan keeps going back to the Game 3 2OT loss.  Win that and the Bucks are the ones who could be celebrating this morning.

If I were a Bucks fan, that would haunt me, too.

And if I were a Sixers fan, I'd see that shot by Leonard in my nightmares.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #703 on: June 14, 2019, 09:06:48 AM »
The post '98 Jordan/lockout Bulls come to mind, but has there ever been an NBA title game where the two teams in the title game, immediately after the title game is over, both may struggle to make the playoffs the next season? I'm probably missing something blatant, but as that game unfolded last night, it was weird knowing both these teams are going to be vastly different next season.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #704 on: June 14, 2019, 09:19:37 AM »
Anybody see Demar Derozan is trying to take some credit?

I didn't see what he said, but DeMar DeRozan deserves some credit.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #705 on: June 14, 2019, 09:20:41 AM »
As a Bucks fan I'm hoping they can run it back with all of the main pieces and that Kawhi goes West, the C's don't get AD, and one/both of Harris/Butler leave Philli.  Obviously it sucks that KD is probably going to miss the entire next season, but it does prevent the Knicks/Nets from getting Kyrie and KD to team up together next year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #706 on: June 14, 2019, 09:31:36 AM »

YUUUUUP.

Text to a friend this morning- "We should be going to a damn parade today."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #707 on: June 14, 2019, 09:45:32 AM »
The post '98 Jordan/lockout Bulls come to mind, but has there ever been an NBA title game where the two teams in the title game, immediately after the title game is over, both may struggle to make the playoffs the next season? I'm probably missing something blatant, but as that game unfolded last night, it was weird knowing both these teams are going to be vastly different next season.

I don't see either of these teams having anywhere near the fall-off that the Jordan-less, Jackson-less, Pippen-less, Rodman-less, Longley-less, Kerr-less Bulls did.

The Warriors still have a superstar in Curry, several good role players (including an All-Star caliber one in Green) and, depending on what they do with Durant and Thompson, cap space.

Even without Leonard, the Raptors bring back Lowry, Siakam, VanVleet and Ibaka. That's a pretty nice base for a very good team. And I think Toronto looks like a pretty attractive place for free agents if Leonard leaves: a great city with a well-run franchise.

I guess there's a chance the Warriors miss the playoffs in a tough conference, especially if Curry and/or Green get hurt. Barring a catastrophic injury, I see very little chance that the Raptors miss the playoffs next season; I think they would be more likely to be one of the best teams in the conference again, especially if they bring in a decent player or two as they almost surely will.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #708 on: June 14, 2019, 02:25:58 PM »
Durant played about 10 minutes total.  Thompson played in 3.5 games.  Looney played with a broken bone was supposed to be out.  Cousins hadn’t played in a long time only to come back for this series.

Still took Toronto 6 games and some bad free throw shooting by the Warriors down the stretch.  Warriors in a world of hurt with two main guys out next year and the contracts that go with them.  Bucks could be champions right now if they got to play that depleted Warriors squad.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #709 on: June 14, 2019, 06:57:34 PM »
Well, they do get some calls. I mean, Klay twice was given 3 FTs when fouled on 3-pointers in a way that often isn't called. I certainly don't think they were screwed tonight.

It just wasn't their title to win. Overcoming the loss of Durant and Thompson against a team as good as Toronto ... too tough.

I'm glad to see a new champion, and IMHO it's kinda cool that it's the team from Canada.

Both were obvious fouls. Klay was hit while shooting, those are called 90+% of the time. Toronto got the same calls for Lowry and VanVleet.

I'm not saying they were screwed tonight, I'm saying officiating is completely differently in regards to Curry/Klay all season long. They treat them different, you are allowed to grab, hold, hack, both of them and nothing is called. Curry is called for touch fouls when he plays defense, but is mugged non-stop on offense. Why? If you don't allow the defenders to mug Curry and Klay, they are unstoppable.

I agree it wasn't their title to win. Too much to overcome. But I do wish they would go back to officiating normal when it comes to Curry/Klay.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #710 on: June 14, 2019, 09:19:01 PM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #712 on: June 15, 2019, 12:53:38 AM »
People keep saying Kawhi ended two dynasties in the Warriors and the Heat. Quit selling the guy short. He also ended the Spurs dynasty by quitting on them and faking a season long injury.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #713 on: June 15, 2019, 06:43:03 AM »
People keep saying Kawhi ended two dynasties in the Warriors and the Heat. Quit selling the guy short. He also ended the Spurs dynasty by quitting on them and faking a season long injury.

I enjoy this take

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #714 on: June 15, 2019, 10:25:29 AM »

Yeah, I was surprised by the massive media push to rewrite history in regards to Kawhi, and turn him into this selfless, reincarnation of Michael Jordan. Really seems like it was decided that Kawhi would be the next big push for the league in terms of face/brand, and it had to start with rewriting his history.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #715 on: June 15, 2019, 05:34:05 PM »
Flakers going to the Finals this upcoming season.  UGH.

Just got Davis, will likely get Butler or someone like that.  Warriors in the infirmary.  Lebron back to the finals..... I hate the Flakers!!
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #716 on: June 15, 2019, 05:49:06 PM »
Flakers going to the Finals this upcoming season.  UGH.

Just got Davis, will likely get Butler or someone like that.  Warriors in the infirmary.  Lebron back to the finals..... I hate the Flakers!!

Lebron has A LOT of miles on him.  I still think Butler is going to the Clippers.  I don't think this is a forgone conclusion.  Regardless, the tampering here is so blatant and obvious, but of course nothing will be done.

I actually LOVE this for the Pels.  Zion, Lonzo, Ingram, a top 4 pick, Jrue Holiday still not even 30 yet, and Julius Randle is still a good 3rd option.  Plus 2 firsts and and about another $10MM in cap space.  They could be really dangerous soon.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #717 on: June 15, 2019, 05:53:13 PM »
I think Butler just goes to whichever team needs to be blown up.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #718 on: June 15, 2019, 05:53:25 PM »
Lebron has A LOT of miles on him.  I still think Butler is going to the Clippers.  I don't think this is a forgone conclusion.  Regardless, the tampering here is so blatant and obvious, but of course nothing will be done.

I actually LOVE this for the Pels.  Zion, Lonzo, Ingram, a top 4 pick, Jrue Holiday still not even 30 yet, and Julius Randle is still a good 3rd option.  Plus 2 firsts and and about another $10MM in cap space.  They could be really dangerous soon.

Lonzo, I just don't see it and never have.  Ingram will be good.  Pels got a lot of assets.   I think with Warriors injuries, Lebron is able to get a third piece and maybe a forth for the short haul.  The Flaker flags will be on all the cars starting tomorrow, like they were last Summer when he came here and suddenly they disappeared....similar to how the appeared when Dwight Howard was signed.  Flaker fans are the effing worst.

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #719 on: June 15, 2019, 06:05:14 PM »
No guarantee with Ingram at all.  There is absolute potential he is damaged goods.   Dude has blood clots.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #720 on: June 15, 2019, 06:05:59 PM »
That’s a haul for one year of Anthony Davis. I wonder what the future trade protections are going to be.

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #721 on: June 15, 2019, 06:07:23 PM »
That’s a haul for one year of Anthony Davis. I wonder what the future trade protections are going to be.

1year??   He is absolutely signing long term.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #722 on: June 15, 2019, 06:09:37 PM »
1year??   He is absolutely signing long term.

Why would he do that now? He has all the leverage in the world and Rich Paul just said he’s going into free agency next year.

Probable he re-signs there, but zero guarantee. If LBJ tears his Achilles, why stay?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #723 on: June 15, 2019, 06:14:32 PM »

How do we know he quit and was faking? There was speculation Durant was milking it and we saw what happened when he was actually rushed back. The guy’s doctors said not to play. His knee injury in the playoffs was from overcompensating for the quad.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #724 on: June 15, 2019, 06:20:17 PM »
Not one of those pieces does a thing for me. The miracle situation for the best piece (Ingram) is Ingram turns into Melo 2.0. The number 4 pick when it gets you...Culver? Lonzo? And future late first round draft picks?

I said if you’re allowed to include a sign and trade in a package and if Middleton wanted to end up in NO the Bucks should’ve offered Middleton and Bledsoe and told NO they have their starting backcourt for the next 4 years plus throw in Donte and DJ for some youth (don’t think they have any picks to trade). That’d do a lot more for me if I was NO.

As it stands today the Rockets are the best team in the West.