collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Thread 2019-20  (Read 219592 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: NBA Thread 2018-19
« Reply #500 on: May 12, 2019, 01:06:02 AM »
One of the 2 big lies about the NBA - the other is "They don't play any defense".

If you like basketball, NBA playoff basketball is light years superior to any other version of the game.

Clearly you've never watched the Irish basketball league known as the Super League. Makes the nba look like child's play
Maigh Eo for Sam

reinko

• All American
« Reply #501 on: May 12, 2019, 04:32:00 AM »

Oh please. The NBA is rigged crowd is so tiresome.

I’m the last to believe in a conspiracy, especially one that goes to the upper echelons of the league office.

But.....what I do believe is the NBA is a star driven league, and stars more often get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to officiating...and the NBA has the highest advantage of any sport when it comes to home court advantage, so while its not a NBA/Adam Silver conspiracy to not allow smaller market teams advance in the playoffs, I think that officiating is provenly biased to star-laden teams, and star-laden teams generally have home court advantage which also aids thems.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #502 on: May 12, 2019, 05:38:04 AM »
I've always suspected the NBA had some bias... definitely superstar bias, definitely big market bias, and historically a Philly/Boston/Lakers bias and recently a huge effort to get another good big market western team to step up:  Houston.

Through the regular season the league let Harden take as many steps as he wants, push people off, do his "double" step back, etc. so Houston can win enough games to get a top 4 seed.  CP3 copies harden but takes it a bit further with the pushing off and multiple steps, but because he's allowed to do this, he can still dominate despite his advancing age.  Credit to him also for being skilled enough to learn these new moves.  It's tough when you've been driving to the basket for 25 years using 3 steps after the last dribble to learn how to take 5!

On come the playoffs... the league desperately want the Rockets to win, but they realize that in order to do so, they'll have to let everyone take 5 steps whenever they want to, and they quickly realize the advantage Durant has when he gets to push off like Harden does... so the refs tighten up on these things... and Harden / CP3 simply cannot score as easily without the extra space they create for themselves by taking 5 steps and by pushing off.  Tucker was amazing.  Gordon is a great shooter.  Green is streaky but was pretty good.  Capela is a great rebounder.  The whole group played tough defense.  Probably good enough defense to beat almost anyone.... but you take away the extra 10-15 ppg that Harden/Paul get by cheating pushing off and taking 5 steps, then a team as good as GSW can win. 

The last game of the series was perfect.  Harden had to play clean, without the extra steps, and without the pushing off.  Both he and CP3 got called for push-offs early and then played pretty much without it for the rest of the game.  When they play clean, they are still elite players... but not good enough.

The moral of the story:  The league is smart enough to realize that its' bias could actually destroy the game if left unchecked in an important setting.  So during this series the bias ended, and the best team actually won.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #503 on: May 12, 2019, 05:41:07 AM »
I totally agree. Kyrie, Hayward, Tatum all want to be the big dog.
As for Kyrie, I think he'd rather be a Russel Westbrook than a Steph Curry.

I don't see him being a team player or sacrificing his stats to win championships.

Absolutely elite talent, bound for HOF, etc... but won't win another championship.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #504 on: May 12, 2019, 06:31:50 AM »
As for Kyrie, I think he'd rather be a Russel Westbrook than a Steph Curry.

I don't see him being a team player or sacrificing his stats to win championships.

Absolutely elite talent, bound for HOF, etc... but won't win another championship.

Well he did sacrifice to win. I agree with you though, he'll never be the go to option on a championship team
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #505 on: May 12, 2019, 07:41:05 AM »
I’m the last to believe in a conspiracy, especially one that goes to the upper echelons of the league office.

But.....

Stopped reading
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GB Warrior

• All American

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #507 on: May 12, 2019, 08:58:07 AM »

So I watched Kyrie's highlights from yesterday.  He was terrible.  Completely overrated player.

Has won exactly one playoff series that he participated in without Lebron.

kinda a modern day version of melo-did the guy win anywhere but for himself?  i don't recall him making any team better
don't...don't don't don't don't

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #508 on: May 12, 2019, 09:01:00 AM »
Melo, in his prime, definitely made the Nuggets better.  But I get your point.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

reinko

• All American
« Reply #509 on: May 12, 2019, 03:22:54 PM »

Stopped reading

So you disagree that the NBA is a star driven league where stars have more lee way when it comes to officiating and disagree with the very clear data that home NBA teams have more favorable officiating? 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #510 on: May 12, 2019, 08:08:40 PM »
If the NBA is motivated by having its biggest stars in the Finals, wouldn't they make a Bucks (Greek Freak) vs. Rockets (Beard) matchup happen? Likely to finish 1-2 in the MVP balloting, and therefore the league's 2 biggest stars?

Or, if we're saying that just because they will finish 1-2 in MVP balloting, it doesn't mean they are the biggest "stars," wouldn't the NBA have forced everybody to let the Lakers win enough games to get LeBron in the Finals again?

And how can the league not assure a Celtics-Lakers championship series every year?

Sorry ... I have always had a hard time with these "theories" -- especially ever since the NFL apparently maneuvered to have Buffalo make 4 straight Super Bowls and the NBA had San Antonio get to a bunch of Finals. Not to mention the Royals going from wild-card playoff game all the way to the World Series.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #511 on: May 12, 2019, 08:33:15 PM »
So you disagree that the NBA is a star driven league where stars have more lee way when it comes to officiating and disagree with the very clear data that home NBA teams have more favorable officiating? 

Stars get calls cause they are better.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #512 on: May 12, 2019, 08:57:26 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/espn/status/1127750905716043776?s=19

poor guy. i dont wish this upon him but the guy is going to tear his acl or break his wrist flopping around when some 6’1”, 175 lb guard is boxing him out someday. guys a clown.

kawhi vs. bucks will be a fun series. if the raptors dont get more out of lowry, serge, siakam i dont think they can beat the bucks 4 times in 7 games.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #513 on: May 12, 2019, 09:25:38 PM »
Looking forward to a good series. Hopefully the Bucks win. Will be good for MU if the Bucks win it all.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #514 on: May 12, 2019, 09:58:25 PM »
Kawhi traveled on the last play. Took 3 or 4 steps before even starting to dribble.

Actually traveled twice on the play. Traveled again leading into the shot where he took another 3-4 steps after picking up his dribble.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 10:09:47 PM by forgetful »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #515 on: May 12, 2019, 10:51:41 PM »
Kawhi traveled on the last play. Took 3 or 4 steps before even starting to dribble.

Actually traveled twice on the play. Traveled again leading into the shot where he took another 3-4 steps after picking up his dribble.

And the Virginia player famously (or infamously) double-dribbled in the NCAA title game. What's your point?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #516 on: May 12, 2019, 11:01:09 PM »
And the Virginia player famously (or infamously) double-dribbled in the NCAA title game. What's your point?

My point. Simple. Kawhi traveled twice in a 4 second possession, prior to making the last second shot.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #517 on: May 12, 2019, 11:07:36 PM »

When you gotta make stuff up (6-8 steps), it kinda defeats your argument/

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #518 on: May 12, 2019, 11:25:42 PM »
When you gotta make stuff up (6-8 steps), it kinda defeats your argument/

Watch the video. Plainly obvious. Not making anything up. The travel on the catch, before dribbling was easy for anyone to see. The travel before the shot, more difficult, because of camera angles, but a clear travel. Took 1.5 steps before taking a jump stop.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #519 on: May 12, 2019, 11:27:20 PM »
My point. Simple. Kawhi traveled twice in a 4 second possession, prior to making the last second shot.

I actually just rewatched the ending. From the angle I saw, I couldn't tell if he traveled early in the play, and maybe (maybe) he took a hop right before planting for the shot. It was less egregious than the "travels" that occur on pretty much every step-back jumper that every big-time shooter in pro and college basketball takes. There is not a ref at any level who would have called that a travel against any player.

And you saying 4 steps ... how silly. As brand said, kinda kills your credibility. Why not say 10 steps or 50 steps or a million steps if you're gonna fib?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #520 on: May 12, 2019, 11:38:23 PM »
I actually just rewatched the ending. From the angle I saw, I couldn't tell if he traveled early in the play, and maybe (maybe) he took a hop right before planting for the shot. It was less egregious than the "travels" that occur on pretty much every step-back jumper that every big-time shooter in pro and college basketball takes. There is not a ref at any level who would have called that a travel against any player.

And you saying 4 steps ... how silly. As brand said, kinda kills your credibility. Why not say 10 steps or 50 steps or a million steps if you're gonna fib?

Pretty sure I said 3-4 steps each time. That is exactly what happened. There are already replays on the internet showing it quite clearly. No idea, why you and Brand are so defensive about it.

Facts still matter.

Video of the one up top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu5xy_54iRE

They count it as 4 steps, I'd count it at 3, as I think he initiated his dribble after the 3rd step.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 11:43:55 PM by forgetful »

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #521 on: May 12, 2019, 11:38:30 PM »

Mike, I kinda agree with Forgetful that he took steps (2) before dribbling, but I thought the step before the shot was OK. You can see the same thing in every game where a guy takes a step gathering for the shot.

I was giving Forgetful a hard time for exaggerating that he took 6-8 steps total. I don't know why they don't call it when the guy is 30 feet from the basket - yet if he did the same thing in the lane it would be called almost every time.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #522 on: May 12, 2019, 11:42:01 PM »
Mike, I kinda agree with Forgetful that he took steps (2) before dribbling, but I thought the step before the shot was OK. You can see the same thing in every game where a guy takes a step gathering for the shot.

I was giving Forgetful a hard time for exaggerating that he took 6-8 steps total. I don't know why they don't call it when the guy is 30 feet from the basket - yet if he did the same thing in the lane it would be called almost every time.

Agreed on the shot, that it isn't called anymore. Live I didn't see that one, but saw videos of it afterward.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #523 on: May 12, 2019, 11:44:09 PM »
Agreed on the shot, that it isn't called anymore. Live I didn't see that one, but saw videos of it afterward.

If they called things the same as when I played, there would be 200 turnovers a game.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #524 on: May 12, 2019, 11:50:31 PM »
If they called things the same as when I played, there would be 200 turnovers a game.

Same. I really just find it funny. The game is quite different. Greatly enjoyable. Amazing athletes and abilities.

Watching the shot over again, it seems like he picks up his dribble planning to shoot, but has his feet wrong, so does a little shuffle, before the jump stop. It just looks awkward. He actually does it pretty clever wise. Similar to a lot of Harden's 4-step step-backs, but more of a side-step then step back.

Also, had no preference in this game. Just watch because game 7's are awesome.