[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Thread 2019-20  (Read 219501 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: NBA Thread 2018-19
« Reply #300 on: February 06, 2019, 12:37:24 PM »
So, where do you figure Tobias Harris in this equation?
Boban and Scott don't have to pick up Chandler's minutes. Harris is going to take those and then some.

I don't see how you figure the Clippers got the better end of this. They gave up their best player, a borderline all star in his prime, for a three rotational players and two draft picks that very likely will fall outside the lottery ... which typically lands you more rotational players.
In a star-driven league, assembling a bunch of 4th through 8th men isn't a winning formula. I understand why the Clippers would do this given their circumstances and Harris' expiring contract, especially if they're setting up something bigger, but they're not getting back any impact players here unless they get lucky in the draft.
In the meantime, the Sixers fill two of their biggest needs - a true 4 and another shooting threat - at once without sacrificing a key player or high pick.

One of the first round picks the Clippers are getting from Philly is Miami’s unprotected 2021 1st. That’s got potential to be a really nice get.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #301 on: February 06, 2019, 02:13:00 PM »
One of the first round picks the Clippers are getting from Philly is Miami’s unprotected 2021 1st. That’s got potential to be a really nice get.

Maybe, if the East gets a whole lot better in the next couple of years. Otherwise, Miami has enough of a decent young core to remain competitive for the 6-8th seed over the next few seasons.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #302 on: February 06, 2019, 02:25:10 PM »
By my calculations, the Harris trade moves the Sixers from the 4th best team in the East to (checks notes) the 4th best team in the East.

Honestly, even though they are better (without moving the needle because of decimated depth), you have to give props to them for trying to find SOMETHING that might put them in a spot to content. No point in trying to stand pat with a roster you know won't cut it. By all metrics, Harris fits a really key need for them. Just don't think it'll matter against the Raptors or Bucks.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #303 on: February 06, 2019, 02:32:09 PM »

Clippers just setting up to free space for Kawhi.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #304 on: February 06, 2019, 06:56:19 PM »
Otto Porter to the Bulls for Parker and Portis.
This seems like (gulp) a solid deal for the Bulls.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #305 on: February 06, 2019, 10:03:17 PM »
Otto Porter to the Bulls for Parker and Portis.
This seems like (gulp) a solid deal for the Bulls.

Meh, that’s a hefty dollar amount to pay Porter with his trade kicker and player option for $28 mil in two years. I don’t mind Porter as a player, he’s the best player in this deal, but for a team saving money, seems like a meh move.

Portis probably would have got an offer sheet from someone this summer. The Jabari experience was a disaster.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #306 on: February 06, 2019, 10:49:04 PM »
Meh, that’s a hefty dollar amount to pay Porter with his trade kicker and player option for $28 mil in two years. I don’t mind Porter as a player, he’s the best player in this deal, but for a team saving money, seems like a meh move.

Portis probably would have got an offer sheet from someone this summer. The Jabari experience was a disaster.

What are the Bulls saving money for? Durant and Irving aren't walking through that door this summer and the 2020 free agency class is trash.
Definitely not suggesting this somehow makes the Bulls as currently constructed a playoff team, but they got a quality player they can afford and be part of their future, in return for a pair of malcontents who weren't going to be with the team in two months.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #307 on: February 07, 2019, 09:30:35 AM »
What are the Bulls saving money for? Durant and Irving aren't walking through that door this summer and the 2020 free agency class is trash.
Definitely not suggesting this somehow makes the Bulls as currently constructed a playoff team, but they got a quality player they can afford and be part of their future, in return for a pair of malcontents who weren't going to be with the team in two months.

I meant operationally they are in saving money mindset. They traded Butler because they didn’t want to pay him. They’ve manipulated their roster to transact to get cash (Jordan Bell, every trade they’ve made this year has brought cash back, sans Porter). If all these moves they made were to build to acquire Porter, then it makes sense. But every recent trade transaction has been on saving cash. I’m not saying that’s a bad move if you suck like they do, it just strikes me as semi-odd to get Porter at his price tag. Maybe they really love him though.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #308 on: February 07, 2019, 10:22:44 AM »
I meant operationally they are in saving money mindset. They traded Butler because they didn’t want to pay him. They’ve manipulated their roster to transact to get cash (Jordan Bell, every trade they’ve made this year has brought cash back, sans Porter). If all these moves they made were to build to acquire Porter, then it makes sense. But every recent trade transaction has been on saving cash. I’m not saying that’s a bad move if you suck like they do, it just strikes me as semi-odd to get Porter at his price tag. Maybe they really love him though.

You're not wrong, but I really don't care if they're saving money or not. As a basketball move, it's a good one, IMO, even if it means they'll be overpaying Porter (which they are).
FWIW, I think trading Jimmy had less to do with paying him as it did believing they couldn't build a contender around him, given their other assets at the time. And as much as I live Jimmy, they were right. They were in NBA hell with Jimmy.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #309 on: February 07, 2019, 12:14:46 PM »
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

Bucks will send Jason Smith and Stanley Johnson to Pelicans for Mirotic, per source.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #310 on: February 07, 2019, 12:16:58 PM »
Horst is a wild man. Totally exceeding my expectations.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #311 on: February 07, 2019, 12:27:14 PM »
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

Bucks will send Jason Smith and Stanley Johnson to Pelicans for Mirotic, per source.

Whoa, that's a phenomenal trade. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #312 on: February 07, 2019, 12:46:22 PM »
You're not wrong, but I really don't care if they're saving money or not. As a basketball move, it's a good one, IMO, even if it means they'll be overpaying Porter (which they are).
FWIW, I think trading Jimmy had less to do with paying him as it did believing they couldn't build a contender around him, given their other assets at the time. And as much as I live Jimmy, they were right. They were in NBA hell with Jimmy.

Good points, I don’t disagree with any of that.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #313 on: February 07, 2019, 12:48:05 PM »
Awesome trade for the Bucks.  Their bench is now Hill, Snell, Brown, DJ Wilson, Mirotic, Connaughton, and Ersan.  Incredible depth.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #314 on: February 07, 2019, 01:01:30 PM »
I do not like Marc Gasol going to the Raptors for basically nothing.  They'll now start Lowry, Kawhi, Siakam, Ibaka, Gasol.  That is scary length and still the ability to spread the floor with the jump shot.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #315 on: February 07, 2019, 01:13:22 PM »
I do not like Marc Gasol going to the Raptors for basically nothing.  They'll now start Lowry, Kawhi, Siakam, Ibaka, Gasol.  That is scary length and still the ability to spread the floor with the jump shot.

Hornets were supposedly trying to get Gasol, too. Oh well ... they weren't gonna win an NBA title with him or without him, and he has a pretty ugly contract next season -- $26M or so.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #316 on: February 07, 2019, 01:42:20 PM »

What does Memphis get out of that deal? Its not like they really get any salary relief given that Valunciunas is owed only $8M less next year. Delon Wright isn't very good. No picks.

Gasol might be a Brook Lopez antidote, so don't love that.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #317 on: February 07, 2019, 01:44:42 PM »
What does Memphis get out of that deal? Its not like they really get any salary relief given that Valunciunas is owed only $8M less next year. Delon Wright isn't very good. No picks.

Gasol might be a Brook Lopez antidote, so don't love that.

They got a 2024 draft pick, so nothing.  Then again in 2024 the Raptors could be without Lowry and Kawhi so maybe that pick turns into something, but that's 5 years out.  And CJ Miles is literally just a catch and shoot player, no other skills.  I can't imagine they couldn't get something better for Marc Gasol, but I guess not.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #318 on: February 07, 2019, 04:33:38 PM »

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #319 on: February 07, 2019, 05:45:22 PM »
@ShamsCharania
Wesley Matthews will be released by the New York Knicks today and plans to sign with the Indiana Pacers, league sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @WatchStadium. Major wing addition for the Pacers.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #320 on: February 07, 2019, 07:22:09 PM »
Awesome trade for the Bucks.  Their bench is now Hill, Snell, Brown, DJ Wilson, Mirotic, Connaughton, and Ersan.  Incredible depth.

love the trade(mirotic) and i like ersan, but he's gotta be lookin over his shoulder a little.  does turkey and montenegro get along?
don't...don't don't don't don't

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #321 on: February 07, 2019, 07:28:52 PM »
love the trade(mirotic) and i like ersan, but he's gotta be lookin over his shoulder a little.  does turkey and montenegro get along?

Hard to look over his shoulder when Niko immediately moves in front of him. Immediately the first guy off the bench. Just a perfect fit for this year's roster. And in addition, they clear a roster spot for a buyout guy - just a bit bummed it won't be Matthews

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #323 on: February 07, 2019, 09:23:08 PM »
Hard to look over his shoulder when Niko immediately moves in front of him. Immediately the first guy off the bench. Just a perfect fit for this year's roster. And in addition, they clear a roster spot for a buyout guy - just a bit bummed it won't be Matthews

good point.  maybe i should have said looking over niko's shoulder
don't...don't don't don't don't

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #324 on: February 07, 2019, 10:44:20 PM »
https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2818308-jimmy-butler-is-always-keeping-score.amp.html

Didn't see this posted but good Jimmy article

Wish he wouldn't say the finest woman part, even though there is some truth to it.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato