[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Thread 2019-20  (Read 219493 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: NBA Thread 2018-19
« Reply #275 on: January 31, 2019, 04:09:03 PM »
It’s times like this I wish the Bulls were good and had competent management. Porzingis was on sale for 50 cents on the dollar. If he is fully recovered and re-ups with Dallas, that’s a hell of a 1-2 punch for the Mavs.

Doesn’t sound like he’s going to be staying in Dallas long term.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #276 on: January 31, 2019, 04:55:23 PM »
Doesn’t sound like he’s going to be staying in Dallas long term.

Where do you see that?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #277 on: January 31, 2019, 05:56:52 PM »
Where do you see that?

Based on my limited understanding of NBA contract rules, this would mean he becomes an unrestricted free agent after next year and can go anywhere. He may resign with Dallas but read some places he’s looking to be a FA.

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1091080742749253632?s=21

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #278 on: January 31, 2019, 05:58:00 PM »
Knicks clear salaries of Hardaway and Lee, soon Kanter.
After season release Matthews and Jordan.
Don’t have to negotiate any multi year deal with Porzingis after season since he is gone.

Knicks will have an extraordinary cap space after this, I hope they have some indication that free agent players, yes plural, have made it known somehow they are in play for next year.  This is a complete blowup and leaves them with a young core:

Dennis Smith
Kevin Knox
Mitchell Robinson
Noah Vonleh
And a group of wannabes.

Hopefully they get #1 pick and Zion, then add Durant and someone else like Leonard. Don’t think they have assests for Anthony Davis trade.  I liked Porzingis and he was very popular with fans.  Hope they have plan in place, otherwise this could be disaster.

And Alonzo Trier. Plus foreseeably Zion, Barrett, or Hachimura perhaps. That’s a very nice young core. Again, all depends on FAs. There is A LOT of talk from fairly knowledgeable NBA guys about Durant in NY. If so, those pieces with KD makes them a player for another max...Cousins?

nyg

• All American
« Reply #279 on: January 31, 2019, 06:22:28 PM »
And Alonzo Trier. Plus foreseeably Zion, Barrett, or Hachimura perhaps. That’s a very nice young core. Again, all depends on FAs. There is A LOT of talk from fairly knowledgeable NBA guys about Durant in NY. If so, those pieces with KD makes them a player for another max...Cousins?

Not Cousins, Kyrie.  Rumor talk crazy, even Butler being brought up now. 

Knicks got two #1 ‘s in deal and they want Zion bad.  If they lose out in lottery and get let’s say #2 overall pick, they use the two Dallas #1’s to move up. 

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #280 on: January 31, 2019, 06:31:34 PM »
For the last 20 years there has been “talk” of <insert name here> going to the Knicks.

But it never happens.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #281 on: January 31, 2019, 06:34:28 PM »
If the Knicks are able to get KD and Kyrie (or KD then AD next year) then it's a good move.  Otherwise one of those two plus a Butler or Cousins just doesn't do it for me.  I'm not nearly as high on guys like Zion/Reddish/Barrett/Rui as many are, nor am I nearly as high on the Knicks "young core."  I just don't think Trier, Knox, Robinson, or Vonleh do much in terms of helping a true NBA contender.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #282 on: January 31, 2019, 08:36:45 PM »
For the last 20 years there has been “talk” of <insert name here> going to the Knicks.

But it never happens.

I think Fizdale makes a difference. And Perry is a smart GM with a good pedigree to me.

Also, KD seems like he’s ready to be a contrarian trendsetter. Kyrie’s sudden displeasure in Boston is interesting timing too.

I think it’s unfair to look at the young core and make that assessment already. Robinson is still beyond inexperienced and shows flashes, and all they need is one of the guards to be a solid 3/4 option. And no better position for one of the Duke freshmen to come into than not having to be THE MAN immediately.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #283 on: January 31, 2019, 10:18:46 PM »
Unless Jimmy or Wade gets named as a replacement for Oladipo or someone else, we're about to have our first NBA All-Star Game without a Marquette rep since 2004.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #284 on: February 01, 2019, 03:34:22 AM »
Unless Jimmy or Wade gets named as a replacement for Oladipo or someone else, we're about to have our first NBA All-Star Game without a Marquette rep since 2004.

You don't think Giannis is an honorary Marquette alum?  Ohio State acts like LeBron went there all the time.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #285 on: February 01, 2019, 03:00:05 PM »
They've added Dwyane and Dirk as special additions to the rosters. So the streak lives on!

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #286 on: February 01, 2019, 03:17:37 PM »
People claiming NCAA > NBA need to preface their statement by saying they enjoy bad basketball.
I don't particularly like the NBA until the playoffs start.  I get the players are tremendous and everything, but the games don't mean anything.  It doesn't matter who wins.  You know who the handful of teams with any hope of winning the title are before the season starts.  You know unequivocally who has a chance after 25 games and there are still 57 games to go.  The only important things that can happen in those last 57 games is that someone could get injured.  Even the first round of the playoffs are pointless.  The 1-8 and 2-7 series are mismatches, 4-5 series is just to provide round 2 fodder for the top seed and the 3-6 series is either a mismatch or to provide fodder is for the 2 seed, sometimes both. 

But when you get nearer the end, it is spectacular basketball.  I know they could never, ever do this, but it would be so much better if they cut the season roughly in half and you had the best players in the world going at it with each other in the playoffs with much fresher legs.  Now you've got to wade through a ton of pointless basketball to get to the good, important stuff.

Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #287 on: February 01, 2019, 06:39:49 PM »
So the father of the player who is demanding a trade from his team does not want his son going to the Celtics because they showed no loyalty when they traded IT.  Makes sense...

And what exactly has IT done since then?  Just makes the Celtics look attractive if you ask me.  They know their stuff and will put a competitive product on the court.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #288 on: February 01, 2019, 07:30:47 PM »
They've added Dwyane and Dirk as special additions to the rosters. So the streak lives on!

A bit of a "lifetime achievement award" feel to it, but so what? Nobody remembers when a guy is added because of injury to another player, either.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #289 on: February 02, 2019, 11:33:48 PM »
So the father of the player who is demanding a trade from his team does not want his son going to the Celtics because they showed no loyalty when they traded IT.  Makes sense...

And what exactly has IT done since then?  Just makes the Celtics look attractive if you ask me.  They know their stuff and will put a competitive product on the court.

Some Archie Manning “Eli to San Diego” stuff there, aina? Issuing a statement that the Brow doesn’t want Boston to get the Celts to leak that they won’t make a run so NO takes LAL’s offer? Doubt it will work but worth a try, and insulates AD from the criticism he would face if he said it himself.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #290 on: February 06, 2019, 08:03:16 AM »
Does Tobias Harris really push a team over the top?  You now essentially have no bench too, good luck playing your starting five 48 mpg in a seven game series.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 08:29:13 AM by Its DJOver »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #291 on: February 06, 2019, 08:15:48 AM »
Does Tobias Harris really push a team over the top?  You know essentially have no bench too, good luck playing your starting five 48 mpg in a seven game series.

They have no bench because they gave up two bench players, Muscala and Shamet?
If they think Fultz is coming back anytime soon, he can take Shamet's minutes, so that's a wash. Muscala's production and minutes are hardly irreplaceable.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #292 on: February 06, 2019, 08:21:53 AM »
They have no bench because they gave up two bench players, Muscala and Shamet?
If they think Fultz is coming back anytime soon, he can take Shamet's minutes, so that's a wash. Muscala's production and minutes are hardly irreplaceable.

I haven't seen anything that suggests that Fultz is coming back this season.  Am I just not looking in the right place?
Keep in mind that the 76ers already gave up both Covington and Saric to get Jimmy.  Consistently giving up 2 role players for 1 starter is a quick way to deplete your bench.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 08:30:23 AM by Its DJOver »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #293 on: February 06, 2019, 08:51:34 AM »
Does Tobias Harris really push a team over the top?  You now essentially have no bench too, good luck playing your starting five 48 mpg in a seven game series.

Jimmy would be used to this with Thibs.

I’ve seen some speculation that this could be setting up the Clippers to offer some of those picks for AD.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #294 on: February 06, 2019, 09:02:38 AM »
Consistently giving up 2 role players for 1 starter is a quick way to deplete your bench.

But this wasn't a 2-for-1 deal. It was a 3-for-3 deal. The Sixers are getting back Boban, who's arguably an upgrade over Muscala as a backup to Embiid, and Mike Scott. There's no obvious replacement for Shamet there, but I would imagine some veteran guard capable of 15 minutes a night off the bench (Lin, perhaps?) is going to get kicked loose at the trade deadline.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #295 on: February 06, 2019, 09:11:38 AM »
But this wasn't a 2-for-1 deal. It was a 3-for-3 deal. The Sixers are getting back Boban, who's arguably an upgrade over Muscala as a backup to Embiid, and Mike Scott. There's no obvious replacement for Shamet there, but I would imagine some veteran guard capable of 15 minutes a night off the bench (Lin, perhaps?) is going to get kicked loose at the trade deadline.

Boban + Scott = 24 min 11 points combined.  Chandler + Muscala = 48 min 13 points combined.  The points are pretty much a wash, but the minutes are killer, you're going to need a lot from your starters in this scenario.  Lin is also a significant downgrade versus Shamet.  I don't blame the Sixers for going for it, but I think the Clips got the better deal, especially since one of the picks is un-protected.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #296 on: February 06, 2019, 09:36:31 AM »
Boban + Scott = 24 min 11 points combined.  Chandler + Muscala = 48 min 13 points combined.  The points are pretty much a wash, but the minutes are killer, you're going to need a lot from your starters in this scenario.  Lin is also a significant downgrade versus Shamet.  I don't blame the Sixers for going for it, but I think the Clips got the better deal, especially since one of the picks is un-protected.

So, where do you figure Tobias Harris in this equation?
Boban and Scott don't have to pick up Chandler's minutes. Harris is going to take those and then some.

I don't see how you figure the Clippers got the better end of this. They gave up their best player, a borderline all star in his prime, for a three rotational players and two draft picks that very likely will fall outside the lottery ... which typically lands you more rotational players.
In a star-driven league, assembling a bunch of 4th through 8th men isn't a winning formula. I understand why the Clippers would do this given their circumstances and Harris' expiring contract, especially if they're setting up something bigger, but they're not getting back any impact players here unless they get lucky in the draft.
In the meantime, the Sixers fill two of their biggest needs - a true 4 and another shooting threat - at once without sacrificing a key player or high pick.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #297 on: February 06, 2019, 09:47:09 AM »
So, where do you figure Tobias Harris in this equation?
Boban and Scott don't have to pick up Chandler's minutes. Harris is going to take those and then some.

I don't see how you figure the Clippers got the better end of this. They gave up their best player, a borderline all star in his prime, for a three rotational players and two draft picks that very likely will fall outside the lottery ... which typically lands you more rotational players.
In a star-driven league, assembling a bunch of 4th through 8th men isn't a winning formula. I understand why the Clippers would do this given their circumstances and Harris' expiring contract, especially if they're setting up something bigger, but they're not getting back any impact players here unless they get lucky in the draft.
In the meantime, the Sixers fill two of their biggest needs - a true 4 and another shooting threat - at once without sacrificing a key player or high pick.

Before the trade, the Clippers ceiling was maybe the 7th seed and 1st round elimination in the playoffs, now they have enough cap space to go for a big free agent and more picks to offer in a trade for a superstar.  Harris was never going to be a superstar, he was kind of in that second tier player.  Your Middleton, McCollum, Conley type player.  Solid player, but you're never going to build a championship team around them.  It's a superstar driven league, and now they have increased their chances of getting a superstar. 

I really don't believe that Harris moves the needle that much for Phily.  I think their ceiling before was Conference Finals, and I don't think adding him changes that.  As of right now, their path to the finals goes through Indiana, Milwaukee, and either Toronto or Boston.  I don't believe that they can beat all three of those teams even with Harris. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #298 on: February 06, 2019, 11:49:14 AM »
I wish the Clippers would have traded Harris before he almost singlehandedly beat the Hornets last night!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #299 on: February 06, 2019, 12:28:12 PM »
Maker two da Pistons four Johnson. Bucks lose half a foot in da deel. Neva a good thang ta lose 6 inches, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"