collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Thread 2019-20  (Read 219603 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: NBA Thread 2018-19
« Reply #225 on: January 29, 2019, 09:39:00 AM »
My beliefs, too.  Boston has much better trade assets.  Davis is young, going to Boston allows him to be a champion for a longer duration.  Playing with the Lakers may give him a short term boost at a title, but how long does LBJ play?  If you are the Pelicans, you want the best assets which Boston > Lakers in draft picks. No rush.

But if you are Boston and AD's "camp" has already put it out to the media that he is "not keen" on going to Boston are you really going to give up all those assets for 1 year of an unhappy AD?

I'm not.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #226 on: January 29, 2019, 11:12:11 AM »
Kevin Durant to The Athletic:

“AD wanted to play basketball somewhere else. It’s not like the president shutting down the government. It’s basketball. We all, as players, we want guys to do exactly what they want to do in this league. We have a short amount of time, so why not do what you want?"
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #227 on: January 29, 2019, 11:25:50 AM »
But if you are Boston and AD's "camp" has already put it out to the media that he is "not keen" on going to Boston are you really going to give up all those assets for 1 year of an unhappy AD?

I'm not.

Or do you risk it and hope it works out like the Thunder did with Paul George.

Boston needs another asset to get them over the hump. When is a guy like Davis going to be available again? 

reinko

• All American
« Reply #228 on: January 29, 2019, 12:39:36 PM »
I think the Knicks could be a sneaky player in this if they win the lottery.

Would #1 pick (Zion) + anyone not name Porzingis be enough?  Any chance NYK says no, and is content w/ Zion dunking in MSG for the next 10 years??

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #229 on: January 29, 2019, 12:53:46 PM »
Reports are that AD is going to tell teams that he'll only sign an extension with the Lakers.
So he's totally screwing the Pelicans here.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #230 on: January 29, 2019, 01:01:38 PM »
Reports are that AD is going to tell teams that he'll only sign an extension with the Lakers.
So he's totally screwing the Pelicans here.

I mean, it's makes logical sense.  If AD wants to go the Lakers, it is in his best interest to have the Lakers give up as little as possible so he can go there with the maximum amount of talent.  Also, if that is the case above, the Pels can do 3 things.  Take the Lakers poo poo platter of Ball, Ingram, Hart and Kuzma immediately.  Wait until the summer, when the LAL offer will go down, maybe 3 of the above, instead of all 4, then gauge what teams would offer for a one-year rental of AD.  The C's would still offer up something decent if AD was gonna bounce after a year, maybe Brown & a pick?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #231 on: January 29, 2019, 02:27:33 PM »
I mean, it's makes logical sense.  If AD wants to go the Lakers, it is in his best interest to have the Lakers give up as little as possible so he can go there with the maximum amount of talent.  Also, if that is the case above, the Pels can do 3 things.  Take the Lakers poo poo platter of Ball, Ingram, Hart and Kuzma immediately.  Wait until the summer, when the LAL offer will go down, maybe 3 of the above, instead of all 4, then gauge what teams would offer for a one-year rental of AD.  The C's would still offer up something decent if AD was gonna bounce after a year, maybe Brown & a pick?

Or seek NBA punishment of Lebron and the Lakers for tampering, which was clearly done.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #232 on: January 29, 2019, 02:31:34 PM »
Or seek NBA punishment of Lebron and the Lakers for tampering, which was clearly done.

I hate to go all slippery slope, but ruling that NBA players talking to other NBA players is "tampering," and then punishing it is, well, a pretty slippery slope.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #233 on: January 29, 2019, 02:34:42 PM »
The NBA as a product keeps getting worse and worse by the year. Nobody wants to watch their own team be garbage, and nobody is going to wants to watch the same god damn "super teams" every single year.

It's tiresome and it's a terrible product.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #234 on: January 29, 2019, 02:43:37 PM »
The NBA as a product keeps getting worse and worse by the year. Nobody wants to watch their own team be garbage, and nobody is going to wants to watch the same god damn "super teams" every single year.

It's tiresome and it's a terrible product.

There are too many terrible teams and if you happen to be a fan of one of those teams, the NBA regular season isn't so great.
But the product once the playoffs roll around is anything but terrible. Outside of last year's finals series, the NBA playoffs have perhaps never been better, and the quality of athlete and quality of play has never been better.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #235 on: January 29, 2019, 04:05:26 PM »
And the NBA has always been top heavy. Nothing new in this era.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #236 on: January 29, 2019, 04:58:01 PM »
And the NBA has always been top heavy. Nothing new in this era.

Good point.
Between 1980 and 1991, the Lakers appeared in 9 of 12 Finals series.
The Celtics appeared in 5, the 76ers 3 and the Pistons 3.
The other 19 NBA teams combined for four appearances.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #237 on: January 29, 2019, 05:13:03 PM »
‘ho boy, this has really gotta hurt! 😳

next thing the nba might have to consider is sitting players in the corner while writing, I Shall honor thy contract with my team and never ever discuss trades of thyself openly with the media or L’bron ever again

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25879816/anthony-davis-new-orleans-pelicans-fined-50000-public-trade-demand-agent
don't...don't don't don't don't

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #238 on: January 29, 2019, 06:02:07 PM »
Good point.
Between 1980 and 1991, the Lakers appeared in 9 of 12 Finals series.
The Celtics appeared in 5, the 76ers 3 and the Pistons 3.
The other 19 NBA teams combined for four appearances.

And the Celtic / Lakers series of the 80s are considered a golden age. Just wait until they talk about Lebron’s eight Finals in row or the four straight Cavs / Warriors series.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #239 on: January 29, 2019, 07:39:17 PM »
The NBA is awesome.

I went to the Marquette vs. Xavier game at the Fiserv on Sunday and then the Jazz vs. the Bucks at the Fiserv on Monday and the MU game wasn't even in the same stratosphere.  The absolute only thing the college game has on the NBA is the sentimental attachment fans have to their schools.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #240 on: January 29, 2019, 07:44:13 PM »
The NBA is awesome.

I went to the Marquette vs. Xavier game at the Fiserv on Sunday and then the Jazz vs. the Bucks at the Fiserv on Monday and the MU game wasn't even in the same stratosphere.  The absolute only thing the college game has on the NBA is the sentimental attachment fans have to their schools.

The atmosphere at FF for Bucks games is miles ahead of where they were in the BC. Huge improvement.

Given the budget, it shouldn't surprise anyone that they can beat MUs GameDay environment!

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #241 on: January 29, 2019, 08:07:49 PM »
The NBA is awesome.

Nah, the NBA is awful. Call travels and offensive fouls first of all, stop granting and-1's three moves after the foul is called, and move the three point line back at least five feet.

I really don't want to see Steph Curry pull up from nearly half court anymore. I just personally don't find that enjoyable in the slightest.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #242 on: January 29, 2019, 08:11:13 PM »
Nah, the NBA is awful. Call travels and offensive fouls first of all, stop granting and-1's three moves after the foul is called, and move the three point line back at least five feet.

I really don't want to see Steph Curry pull up from nearly half court anymore. I just personally don't find that enjoyable in the slightest.

Your opinion is your opinion.  Just realize that most people don't share it.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #243 on: January 29, 2019, 08:31:29 PM »
The atmosphere at FF for Bucks games is miles ahead of where they were in the BC. Huge improvement.

Given the budget, it shouldn't surprise anyone that they can beat MUs GameDay environment!

Yes it is, BUT, nba games pipe in so much music and extra curricular noise throughout the game, it can seem like there’s more going on than really is.  Of course when the bucks are playing well and generating more fan enthusiasm, yes, it’s a great atmosphere.  Understand however, college has to turn off the pump it jam stuff when the ball goes into play
don't...don't don't don't don't

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #244 on: January 29, 2019, 08:33:33 PM »

Oh good, further encourage people to play like Brad Davison at the highest level.

And calling it awful is dumb and ill informed.  You can say you prefer the college game, but the NBA is better basketball plain and simple, no discussion.  Better shooting, better passing, better defense.  Watch KD or Steph hit 90 jumpers in a row in a video and realize its not a matter of the officiating, they are just frighteningly good players.  Moving the 3pt line back would just mean infinitely more back door layups cause good shooters would still hit, but now there is more space for cuts. I'd rather watch a random Western Conference game than any random NFL game.

I personally think the NCAA should adopt continuation, less judgement calls for the officials cause they get that wrong a lot.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #245 on: January 29, 2019, 09:08:20 PM »
Everything you just described is boring basketball to me. Obviously the talent level is superior, but that's what makes it boring to me.

I love AD and Giannis, and I respect the hell out of LeBron James. Other than that, hard pass on the NBA.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 09:13:22 PM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #246 on: January 29, 2019, 09:32:22 PM »
Everything you just described is boring basketball to me. Obviously the talent level is superior, but that's what makes it boring to me.

I love AD and Giannis, and I respect the hell out of LeBron James. Other than that, hard pass on the NBA.

So your fav BB is mid level HS then?  You literally said superior talent is boring and then stated you loved two guys who are so freakish that the game looks like they are playing against little kids and the game is easy.

I'm not trying to shots at you, I just don't understand your reasoning.  I have friends that don't like the NBA too, but they can never admit its just preference.  They always have to find some inane reason why it "sucks"

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #247 on: January 29, 2019, 09:39:10 PM »
AD, Giannis, and LeBron all aren't ridiculous shooters  ;) In all honestly I actually do think the three point line needs to be moved back at every level, even in high school.

I admit I just don't like the NBA, I much prefer to watch college and high school ball. I'll never doubt the type of athlete that the NBA produces, but I don't think that necessarily makes it a better product.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #248 on: January 29, 2019, 10:53:55 PM »
And calling it awful is dumb and ill informed.  You can say you prefer the college game, but the NBA is better basketball plain and simple, no discussion.  Better shooting, better passing, better defense.

I agree with the better shooting, better passing, better defense, but saying better basketball isn't necessarily true, so it is not "dumb or ill informed".

Especially from the standpoint of saying they should call offensive fouls, traveling, and get rid of the and 1 3 steps after the whistle is blown.

None of that is part of basketball, it is simply not calling the game as the rules are written. I do think the game would be better if they called it properly. But it would be less entertaining from a fan perspective, so it will never happen. Part of the NBA is for entertainment purposes only.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #249 on: January 29, 2019, 11:57:05 PM »
I laughed at the rumor that the Bucks would offer anyone not named Giannis for Davis, and the result would be:

A trade that meets salary-matching rules: Davis for Khris Middleton, Brook Lopez, Malcolm Brogdon, Donte DiVincenzo, D.J. Wilson, Thon Maker, Sterling Brown and Christian Wood.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/01/29/rumor-bucks-offer-to-trade-pelicans-anyone-besides-giannis-antetokounmpo-for-anthony-davis/

That leaves you with a starting lineup of Bledsoe, Giannis, AD, Tony Snell, and..um...George Hill? That's...um...not great. To steal a line from Wojo "the strength of our team is our team".

To me, this underscores why it's going to be INCREDIBLY hard for the Pelicans to pull off a trade and why the Celtics and Lakers are the only two realistic options. They are the only ones that can do this with a combination of young talent with potential and draft capital. Dear god, please go to LA and stay out of the East.