[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Thread 2019-20  (Read 219545 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: NBA Thread 2018-19
« Reply #150 on: December 07, 2018, 07:35:51 PM »
Yeah Hill hasn't been much for awhile.  He'll be a nice defender when called on but not really a rotation guy.

Bucks have to extend Brogdon next year and a decision to make on Bledsoe.  Getting rid of those contracts are huge.  They just wiped about $20 million in salary off the books.  The Bucks will waive Hill two minutes after the season is over for $1M.  Jason Smith's contract is up after this year.

Honestly this is a brilliant move considering neither of these guys were contributors.

jesmu84

• All American

MU82

• All American
« Reply #152 on: December 08, 2018, 12:55:10 PM »
Only a self-centered loser complains about his stats during a winning streak.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #153 on: December 08, 2018, 09:45:22 PM »
This is the worst I’ve seen the Bulls organization.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #154 on: December 08, 2018, 11:02:35 PM »
This is the worst I’ve seen the Bulls organization.

Hmmm.

I will remind you that in the 6 years after the dynasty blew up, the Bulls were 119-341, a .259 winning percentage. I believe as part of that, Tim Floyd had the worst record of any coach in NBA history.

So that was pretty bad.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #155 on: December 09, 2018, 07:06:44 AM »
Hmmm.

I will remind you that in the 6 years after the dynasty blew up, the Bulls were 119-341, a .259 winning percentage. I believe as part of that, Tim Floyd had the worst record of any coach in NBA history.

So that was pretty bad.

Yes, as someone who worked in their front office at that time, I’m well aware. The stuff going on behind the scenes right now is really really bad. That type of dysfunction wasn’t there back then.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #156 on: December 09, 2018, 09:51:14 AM »
Yes, as someone who worked in their front office at that time, I’m well aware. The stuff going on behind the scenes right now is really really bad. That type of dysfunction wasn’t there back then.

OK, I wasn't behind the scenes, just sitting at courtside most games watching the shyte-show. So I'll defer to you.

But I do remember the offseason in which 7 or 8 free agents, one after another after another, led Krause and Floyd around like dogs on a leash only to choose other teams. The McGrady courtship, if memory serves, was especially humiliating for the franchise, and the Bulls ended up way overpaying for the great Ron Mercer.

Also IIRC, they fired Cartwright right before Xmas after telling him only days earlier that he was doing "fine," and a couple of coaches later they hired the incredibly ill-prepared Vinny Del Negro, who later got into a physical altercation with Paxson. So there might have been a little dysfunction back then, too.

But sure, these Bulls are a joke, too, I won't argue that.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #157 on: December 09, 2018, 11:49:06 AM »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #158 on: December 09, 2018, 12:04:06 PM »
Three teams- three unhappy messes.

Poor Jimmy keeps picking teams in disarray (sarcasm).

How is this Jimmy's fault?  He's the best player on the team coming in and being given a large role.  Of course Embiid's role was going to change.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #159 on: December 09, 2018, 01:47:35 PM »
Three teams- three unhappy messes.

Poor Jimmy keeps picking teams in disarray (sarcasm).

Sixers are 10-3 since the trade, so maybe it's not quite time to declare Armageddon.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #160 on: December 09, 2018, 01:55:03 PM »
Only a self-centered loser complains about his stats during a winning streak.

Yep. Same type of jerk that would pick KU with an offer from MU in hand!

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #161 on: December 09, 2018, 01:58:46 PM »
Sixers are 10-3 since the trade, so maybe it's not quite time to declare Armageddon.

Not questioning JB’s talent.

Just interesting that each team he has been on has turned into a mess. We’ll see what happens in Philly.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #162 on: December 09, 2018, 02:03:02 PM »
Not questioning JB’s talent.

Just interesting that each team he has been on has turned into a mess. We’ll see what happens in Philly.

I guess I don't see Embiid griping about being out on the perimeter more than he likes evidence of 1) Butler being the problem or 2) the Sixers being a mess.
If the Sixers are a mess and in disarray, as you say, it sure isn't affecting their ability to win games.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #163 on: December 09, 2018, 05:58:53 PM »
I guess I don't see Embiid griping about being out on the perimeter more than he likes evidence of 1) Butler being the problem or 2) the Sixers being a mess.
If the Sixers are a mess and in disarray, as you say, it sure isn't affecting their ability to win games.

Embiid was the unquestioned star and most visible player on a young team with no expectations. Now you have a team that is expected to contend for the East that added an established and proven star. Dynamics change, roles change, Embiid is no longer the big fish in a little pond.

But the Sixers are playing great, Jimmy seems to be fitting in and playing well (stuff with him and Simmons is fun and amusing). Calling the team a mess is overkill.

Also, given what we’ve now seen. The Bulls problem wasn’t Jimmy, and Minnesota was just not the right fit. Wiggins still stinks and the team is underperforming

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #164 on: December 09, 2018, 06:29:16 PM »

Really does anyone think this is going to be effective???

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25493942/chicago-bulls-players-push-back-coach-jim-boylen-aggressive-style

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #165 on: December 09, 2018, 09:53:09 PM »

Really does anyone think this is going to be effective???

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25493942/chicago-bulls-players-push-back-coach-jim-boylen-aggressive-style

Reports are now out of the near mutiny that happened today.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #166 on: December 10, 2018, 09:31:36 AM »
Embiid was the unquestioned star and most visible player on a young team with no expectations. Now you have a team that is expected to contend for the East that added an established and proven star. Dynamics change, roles change, Embiid is no longer the big fish in a little pond.

But the Sixers are playing great, Jimmy seems to be fitting in and playing well (stuff with him and Simmons is fun and amusing). Calling the team a mess is overkill.

Also, given what we’ve now seen. The Bulls problem wasn’t Jimmy, and Minnesota was just not the right fit. Wiggins still stinks and the team is underperforming

This highlights the difference between a cocky young guy like Embiid and a mature established star like D-Wade.

Wade not only embraced bringing in a brighter star than himself to the Heat, but he actively actually sought to make it happen. And LeBron agreed to take less money than he would have gotten elsewhere (especially Cleveland). All to win championships, which they did -- and they wouldn't have had Wade been overly concerned about his "role."

But Embiid sees only what's in it for him personally, and whines about his situation despite the team winning more than it has in years. It's childish, of course, but he's a child. Maybe he'll grow up some day.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #167 on: December 10, 2018, 09:44:23 AM »
This highlights the difference between a cocky young guy like Embiid and a mature established star like D-Wade.

Wade not only embraced bringing in a brighter star than himself to the Heat, but he actively actually sought to make it happen. And LeBron agreed to take less money than he would have gotten elsewhere (especially Cleveland). All to win championships, which they did -- and they wouldn't have had Wade been overly concerned about his "role."

But Embiid sees only what's in it for him personally, and whines about his situation despite the team winning more than it has in years. It's childish, of course, but he's a child. Maybe he'll grow up some day.

Not only that, but when it was clear that Wade and Lebron played similar roles, and it wasn't working, Wade took a step back and deferred so that they could win championships.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #168 on: December 10, 2018, 09:51:11 AM »

I think you're being a bit harsh here. The guy was asked a question about his  offensive struggles and gave an honest - and correct! - answer, saying he's less effective when forced to play a stretch 5 role. He could have, and should have, given a more PC answer, I suppose, but let's not spin this into anything more than it is. He never complained about the trade for Butler.

I'm not sure the Wade comparison is fair. By the time LeBron went to Miami, Wade was 29 years old, an 8-year veteran and a guy who was accustomed to playing second fiddle to another superstar. Embiid is 24, in his third season and in unchartered territory as far as being asked to sacrifice usage to another player. Not at all apples-to-apples circumstances.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 09:57:03 AM by Pakuni »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #169 on: December 10, 2018, 10:26:52 AM »
I think you're being a bit harsh here. The guy was asked a question about his  offensive struggles and gave an honest - and correct! - answer, saying he's less effective when forced to play a stretch 5 role. He could have, and should have, given a more PC answer, I suppose, but let's not spin this into anything more than it is. He never complained about the trade for Butler.

I'm not sure the Wade comparison is fair. By the time LeBron went to Miami, Wade was 29 years old, an 8-year veteran and a guy who was accustomed to playing second fiddle to another superstar. Embiid is 24, in his third season and in unchartered territory as far as being asked to sacrifice usage to another player. Not at all apples-to-apples circumstances.

Pakuni, on the second point, I think I pretty much said almost the exact same thing.

On the first, you're probably right. I didn't hear Embiid's answer or the questions he was asked, and I don't have proper context. All too often, a guy responds to a question and then we blame the guy for giving an honest response. Embiid is obviously a goofball, but I do get a kick out of him when I hear a clip of stuff he says, and he's a very entertaining and talented basketball player.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #170 on: December 10, 2018, 11:38:39 AM »

Before LeBron got to Miami, what superstar had Wade grown accustom to playing second fiddle to?  He was the best player on the Heat from day 1 of his rookie year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #171 on: December 10, 2018, 12:07:18 PM »
Before LeBron got to Miami, what superstar had Wade grown accustom to playing second fiddle to?  He was the best player on the Heat from day 1 of his rookie year.

Some guy named Shaq.
Perhaps you're forgetting how Dwyane happily took on the role of sidekick after the heat acquired Shaq.

Thursday, Wade was asked whose team this was.
No hesitation. Straight into the post. To the dominant big man Richards High and Marquette could not provide.
"Hands down, hands down Shaq's team," Wade said. "It's his team. He's the Big Fella. He's the guy the offense is going to run through. He's the guy that we want our offense to run through, and we'll take it from there."

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-2004-07-16-0407160158-story.html

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #172 on: December 10, 2018, 12:13:25 PM »
Some guy named Shaq.
Perhaps you're forgetting how Dwyane happily took on the role of sidekick after the heat acquired Shaq.

No hesitation. Straight into the post. To the dominant big man Richards High and Marquette could not provide.
"Hands down, hands down Shaq's team," Wade said. "It's his team. He's the Big Fella. He's the guy the offense is going to run through. He's the guy that we want our offense to run through, and we'll take it from there."

Lol. Come on now.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #173 on: December 10, 2018, 12:18:31 PM »
Some guy named Shaq.

You couldn't be more wrong.  That was in early 2004, before Wade even broke out. That was his breakout year, and midway through that season it was clear that was Wade's team. The next year he single handily carried the Heat to a championship where he was finals MVP.  He was the scoring champion in 2009 (he should have been MVP).

Wade had been the go to defacto leader for his entire career.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #174 on: December 10, 2018, 01:46:53 PM »

You may be right, Wags.  Maybe we can re-visit in a year or so after we see what happens.

feedback