collapse

* Recent Posts

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 03:24:20 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:13 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by BrewCity83
[Today at 03:23:55 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Thread 2019-20  (Read 219540 times)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: NBA Thread 2018-19
« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2018, 02:00:44 PM »
Nikola Jokic seems to think so, hey??  Lol

He's done a nice job battling guys like Jokic and Anthony Davis recently.  Looking forward to Markkanen returning to see how they play with each other.  Lavine has been better than I expected as well.  If they continue to stink hopefully they can get a nice wing in the draft and then maybe you have something. 

Obviously the Parker experiment is not working and probably never really had much of a chance to work. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #101 on: November 08, 2018, 02:09:15 PM »
Appears the Bucks made the right call on this one

https://deadspin.com/jabari-parker-looks-really-disengaged-right-now-1830314705

As advertised.

I was overjoyed when the Bucks let him go.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #102 on: November 08, 2018, 02:40:17 PM »
What is your threshold for tanking?  How bad does your team already have to be for you to want them to tank for a shot at Zion?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #103 on: November 08, 2018, 02:43:26 PM »
What is your threshold for tanking?  How bad does your team already have to be for you to want them to tank for a shot at Zion?

I think it depends on fit.

Zion would be a great fit for the Bulls because Justin Holliday is currently their starting 3.

Now can Zion run with NBA 3s has yet to be seen but at this point who cares?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #104 on: November 08, 2018, 03:03:58 PM »
Nikola Jokic seems to think so, hey??  Lol

Jokic has been the most underrated player in the NBA for a good 3 years.  Both ability/skills wise as well as that dry Eastern European humor that is throughout the NBA.

Appears the Bucks made the right call on this one

There was ample talk on Chicago sports radio about walking away from his contract already.  Like he's potentially that bad of an influence on the younger players.  So strange that he's potentially cancerous in attitude yet so well liked and spoken off of the court.

Zion was as advertised and super entertaining, but if you tank, you tank for Barrett.  33, 4, and 6 and 50% from the floor and 3?  Sheesh.  He has a game like T Mac and a fits a position in the league, Zion is more raw and not sure where totally translates to in the NBA until he develops a more consistent outside game.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #105 on: November 08, 2018, 03:12:16 PM »
Jokic has been the most underrated player in the NBA for a good 3 years.  Both ability/skills wise as well as that dry Eastern European humor that is throughout the NBA.

There was ample talk on Chicago sports radio about walking away from his contract already.  Like he's potentially that bad of an influence on the younger players.  So strange that he's potentially cancerous in attitude yet so well liked and spoken off of the court.

Zion was as advertised and super entertaining, but if you tank, you tank for Barrett.  33, 4, and 6 and 50% from the floor and 3?  Sheesh.  He has a game like T Mac and a fits a position in the league, Zion is more raw and not sure where totally translates to in the NBA until he develops a more consistent outside game.

Yeah.  Barrett is the real player here.  And I think Reddish will be a better pro.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

reinko

• All American
« Reply #106 on: November 08, 2018, 07:33:46 PM »
Yeah.  Barrett is the real player here.  And I think Reddish will be a better pro.

This is a good take 👍🏼

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #107 on: November 09, 2018, 07:45:50 AM »
I was optimistic about Bud, but this is beyond my most optimistic expectations.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #108 on: November 09, 2018, 08:02:01 AM »

Yeah.  The signings of Lopez (though he is unable to stay on the court against teams that can put 5 shooters on the court) and Ersan were incredibly underrated and exactly what the Bucks have been needing for years to put around Giannis.  And Divenczo was a smart pick.  Once the Bucks knew Giannis was a transcendent star (or looked like he was on his way to it) it was time to stop with the "freak" draft picks in hoping to hit another grand slam (DJ, Thon) and start making picks that will be nice complimentary players.

Didn't stay up to watch any of the game, but decided to record it.  Looking forward to watching it tonight.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #109 on: November 09, 2018, 09:27:28 AM »

Bud has been great so far, but I honestly believe that this is more about how bad Kidd was.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #110 on: November 09, 2018, 09:30:35 AM »
I didn't think Kidd was great by any means, but the team NEEDED more shooters on the court.  It was very obvious.  They certainly did just that, which makes it so much harder to guard Giannis.  I don't think Bud would have been able to do what he has done so far this year with last year's roster.

And I know Bledsoe can drive some people crazy, but he was really good last night.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #111 on: November 09, 2018, 09:37:44 AM »
I didn't think Kidd was great by any means, but the team NEEDED more shooters on the court.  It was very obvious.  They certainly did just that, which makes it so much harder to guard Giannis.  I don't think Bud would have been able to do what he has done so far this year with last year's roster.

And I know Bledsoe can drive some people crazy, but he was really good last night.

Yes, but Kidd also didn't really give his shooters the freedom to...well, shoot.  Or maybe they had the freedom to do so but weren't really told "Khris, why are you passing up good looks from the 3 point line to take fadeaway baseline 15 footers?"  Middleton was shooting 5 three pointers/game last season and is shooting 8 three pointers/game this season.  Snell is shooting 3 three pointers/game this season compared to 3.6 three pointers/game last season, but he's playing 11 minutes/game less this season.  Henson (not that he's a 3 point shooter, but he's shown he can hit the open jumper this season) attempted 13 total three pointers in his career before this year and is attempting 2.2 three pointers/game this year.  The freedom Bud is giving to his players really, really seems to have helped.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #112 on: November 09, 2018, 09:39:58 AM »
Yeah.  The signings of Lopez (though he is unable to stay on the court against teams that can put 5 shooters on the court) and Ersan were incredibly underrated and exactly what the Bucks have been needing for years to put around Giannis.  And Divenczo was a smart pick.  Once the Bucks knew Giannis was a transcendent star (or looked like he was on his way to it) it was time to stop with the "freak" draft picks in hoping to hit another grand slam (DJ, Thon) and start making picks that will be nice complimentary players.

Didn't stay up to watch any of the game, but decided to record it.  Looking forward to watching it tonight.

This is the correct opinion, and this is a very well constructed team. They are playing within themselves on both ends of the court. Kidd forced them to stretch on defense, and he condensed the offense. They have the unique ability to play essentially a 1-in, 4-out style of offense that only teams with select front-court superstars can support, and the shooting bigs (and Pat Connaughton????) have been huge additions in that.

You'll enjoy watching this game. Yes, Green was out, and yes, Curry left in the 3rd, but this game was very much under control at that point, up 20. 3s weren't falling, but the Bucks dominance on defense made sure it didn't matter. They absolutely bullied Golden State. Kudos to Bledsoe for finally having a complete performance.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #113 on: November 10, 2018, 01:48:10 PM »
Jimmy to Philly. Butler, Simmons, embid, fultz?. Solid young core

Covington + Saric + 2nd round pick > 4 first round picks.

What?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #114 on: November 10, 2018, 02:18:18 PM »

What?

Well the salaries have to come within a certain percentage of each other so there was more to the story than just Butler for 4 picks. And how good is the 25-30 pick going to be this year and in 2 years? Maybe 4 and 6 years out the picks are valuable, but that’s a long time to wait.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #115 on: November 10, 2018, 10:45:49 PM »
The vast majority of the time, when a bunch of role players get traded for a star, the team getting the star "wins" the deal by a mile. Even if Jimmy is only a rent-a-player, that might be the case here as long as he doesn't clash with the Sixers' young stars. If they can keep him, all the more so.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #116 on: November 11, 2018, 04:32:33 PM »

It does somewhat amaze me. I have a friend who was very close with the Parker family when he was in Milwaukee. Regular BBQs, went to games with their family, and it really sounds like from a community aspect, Parker was about as engaged, personable, and ideal as you could ask for. And yet Milwaukee seemed to have no problem parting with him and already issues in Chicago. I suppose many people have different home and work personas, but you'd think being a good role model in the community would normally go hand-in-hand with being a good role model in that type of workplace.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #117 on: November 11, 2018, 04:52:57 PM »

What?

Yeah, I'd take Covington and Saric over four firsts. Two proven starters who've shown than can succeed in complementary roles.

On the other hand, add Jimmy to Harden and Paul, and Houston likely is a playoff team for the foreseeable future. Historically speaking, history shows those picks aren't likely landing you a bunch of starters. Maybe not even two. For perspective, #20 overall picks 2013-17: Tony Snell, Bruno Caboclo, Delon Wright and Harry Giles. Three bench players and a guy in the G League. Draft picks outside the top 15 or so aren't worth that much in the NBA.
Add that to the fact Thibs can't afford a rebuilding after botching the Jimmy situation, and this trade makes way more sense for the Timberpups. They can still compete for the playoffs with Saric and Covington along with KAT and (blech) Wiggins. No chance they're in playoff contention getting back only draft picks.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 04:55:12 PM by Pakuni »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #118 on: November 11, 2018, 07:56:39 PM »
It does somewhat amaze me. I have a friend who was very close with the Parker family when he was in Milwaukee. Regular BBQs, went to games with their family, and it really sounds like from a community aspect, Parker was about as engaged, personable, and ideal as you could ask for. And yet Milwaukee seemed to have no problem parting with him and already issues in Chicago. I suppose many people have different home and work personas, but you'd think being a good role model in the community would normally go hand-in-hand with being a good role model in that type of workplace.

The Bucks didn't have a problem walking away because he is a poor defender and his offensive skills are replicated.  I don't think it had anything to do with his attitude.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #119 on: November 11, 2018, 08:30:00 PM »
Well the salaries have to come within a certain percentage of each other so there was more to the story than just Butler for 4 picks. And how good is the 25-30 pick going to be this year and in 2 years? Maybe 4 and 6 years out the picks are valuable, but that’s a long time to wait.

Agreed. Plus Covington & Saric are better than what you could expect to get with those late 1st rounders, and you get them now.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #120 on: November 11, 2018, 08:46:41 PM »
After tonight, I have forgiven Lopez for his transgressions against Marquette.

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #121 on: November 11, 2018, 09:58:17 PM »
I was hoping for a 2-2 trip but was not expecting the two wins they got

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #122 on: November 12, 2018, 08:49:09 AM »

What?

Actually a great deal for both teams IMO.  Sixers and Butler are supposedly talking an extension to keep him in Philly, and he gives experience and toughness to a really talented young core.  Saric and Covington are two nice pieces to try to work with in Minny.

If Jimmy can gel in Philly, the Sixers-Celtics battles are gonna be AMAZING.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #123 on: November 12, 2018, 08:51:22 AM »
Actually a great deal for both teams IMO.  Sixers and Butler are supposedly talking an extension to keep him in Philly, and he gives experience and toughness to a really talented young core.  Saric and Covington are two nice pieces to try to work with in Minny.

If Jimmy can gel in Philly, the Sixers-Celtics battles are gonna be AMAZING.

I think Jimmy and Embid are going to be just fine. It's Simmons that I think will struggle to mesh. Not to mention Fultz.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #124 on: November 12, 2018, 08:57:38 AM »
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25201321/why-jimmy-butler-not-solve-philadelphia-76ers-biggest-problem-nba

Said it before and still feel this way, the Sixers adding Jimmy doesn't scare me as a Bucks fan.  They now have 1 shooter on their roster, and that shooter is a one trick pony.  Stay attached to Reddick and sag off of everyone else.  They added a slasher that needs the ball in his hands to a team that was full of slashers that need the ball in their hands and removed 2 of their 3 best shooters in a league where shooting is the most important aspect of the game.

And good luck talking extension with Jimmy.  5 months is a loooooong time to keep that guy happy.