collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB hot stove discussion 2018/19 off season  (Read 110911 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: MLB hot stove discussion 2018/19 off season
« Reply #700 on: March 08, 2019, 11:18:41 AM »
Didn't take it out of context at all, and yes it might deter some players. Few probably, but some possibly.

Can't understand why you just don't use your personal choice and boogie the heck out of there. Life's too short to live someplace you hate with every burning ember of your being. Your family would adjust.

I made it quite clear, my daughter is a junior in high school.  One more year for us.  Easy for you to say "adjust", but I don't believe in yanking kids out of high school, they have enough challenges at that time of their lives.  But I cannot unnatural carnal knowledgeing wait to get out of what this state has become.  Highest poverty rate in the country now, highest tax state, education plummeted to 44th, traffic as far as the eye can see.......ooooh, but it would be the 7th best GDP if it were its own country.  Yup, except we've been top 10 GDP in the world for 50 years but without the crap stats we now have become.  Cannot unnatural carnal knowledgeing wait and will join the masses that leave every single year to continue the net migration out. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #701 on: March 08, 2019, 11:56:22 AM »
I made it quite clear, my daughter is a junior in high school.  One more year for us.  Easy for you to say "adjust", but I don't believe in yanking kids out of high school, they have enough challenges at that time of their lives.  But I cannot unnatural carnal knowledgeing wait to get out of what this state has become.  Highest poverty rate in the country now, highest tax state, education plummeted to 44th, traffic as far as the eye can see.......ooooh, but it would be the 7th best GDP if it were its own country.  Yup, except we've been top 10 GDP in the world for 50 years but without the crap stats we now have become.  Cannot unnatural carnal knowledgeing wait and will join the masses that leave every single year to continue the net migration out.

Honestly, I didn't remember reading that about your daughter, and that makes sense.

Nobody should live in a place they hate. It's a big country.

Where you gonna move?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #702 on: March 08, 2019, 04:36:30 PM »
Honestly, I didn't remember reading that about your daughter, and that makes sense.

Nobody should live in a place they hate. It's a big country.

Where you gonna move?

I hear he loves the Charlotte area :-\

MU82

• All American
« Reply #703 on: March 08, 2019, 07:41:31 PM »
I hear he loves the Charlotte area :-\

That would be fun. We could hang out at political rallies, atheist events and such!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #704 on: March 08, 2019, 11:12:59 PM »
That would be fun. We could hang out at political rallies, atheist events and such!

Careful what you wish for, cheeks is a big fan of Christmas decorations.   Hes the clark griswold of orange county currently.    :o

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #705 on: March 12, 2019, 02:33:45 AM »
Just received this in my inbox:

The Seaver family announced today that Hall of Fame pitcher Tom Seaver has recently been diagnosed with dementia. Tom will continue to work in his beloved vineyard at his California home, but has chosen to completely retire from public life. The family is deeply appreciative of those who have supported Tom throughout his career, on and off the field, and who do so now by honoring his request for privacy. We join Tom in sending warmest regards to everyone. 

I was not a Mets fan growing up, but I thought Tom Seaver was the best pitcher in baseball. Sad news.

Sad indeed.

Mr. Seaver was the anchor of probably the most amazing World Championship ever — the 1969 New York Mets. The Mets were awful for most of the 1960s but because of a draft screw-up by the Atlanta Braves, Seaver became a Met.

Incredible pitching staff that included HOFer Nolan Ryan, Jerry Koosman, Gary Gentry and Tug McGraw out of the bullpen.

Was a great guy and one of th faces of baseball in the 1970s.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #706 on: March 14, 2019, 12:15:08 PM »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #707 on: March 14, 2019, 12:32:15 PM »
I don't like the 3 batter min.  It alters the game too much.
I also don't like the Position Player non-pitching rule unless there are extra innings.  What does it matter who pitches?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #708 on: March 14, 2019, 12:36:48 PM »
Only thing missing is universal DH.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #709 on: March 14, 2019, 12:40:39 PM »
I also don't like the Position Player non-pitching rule unless there are extra innings.  What does it matter who pitches?

I absolutely hate seeing a new pitcher for every batter late in games, but I would have preferred a 2 batter minimum.

Like the rest of the changes, though.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #710 on: March 14, 2019, 12:42:06 PM »

Both are squarely aimed at limiting the # of pitchers that get used.  Forces us back to more like the days when starters went 7+.  Maybe pitching staffs will go back toward 10 or 11 and away from current 13.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #711 on: March 14, 2019, 12:43:44 PM »
I absolutely hate seeing a new pitcher for every batter late in games, but I would have preferred a 2 batter minimum.

Like the rest of the changes, though.

That would be a pretty good compromise.  Look, the way we were going, pretty soon they would bring a guy in for one key pitch to get a strikeout.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #712 on: March 14, 2019, 01:34:27 PM »
Yost is probably happy. Seems in line with how he manages a bullpen.

I don’t like the change. I’d sacrifice some time so that strategy isn’t mandated like this. Saw a stat that the Brewers only had a pitcher face less than 2 batters 77 times. Cubs had it happen about twice that much. I think the impact on the Brewers will be a little overblown just based on the perception of our bullpen management.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #713 on: March 14, 2019, 02:15:30 PM »
Get rid of the dh or force the nl to adopt it.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #714 on: March 14, 2019, 02:27:13 PM »
Both are squarely aimed at limiting the # of pitchers that get used.  Forces us back to more like the days when starters went 7+.  Maybe pitching staffs will go back toward 10 or 11 and away from current 13.

My problem with it is that its a rules change that artificially lowers the overall quality of play, with the goal of mandating a specific style. The move from the old way of pitching to the new way occurred because it raised the total quality of pitching.  This won't dramatically impact the time of games, which is the alleged reason for it. But it will significantly tilt the balance back toward hitters. I actually think baseball folks are more excited about this creating offense than they are with it speeding up games - but they can't admit that because it seems like blasphemy to purists.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #715 on: March 14, 2019, 02:30:27 PM »
Don't like it at all, especially given that it takes effect next season which really screws up the roster make-ups short term. Would have much rathered some sort of minimum batters faced per pitcher in a season or something like that.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #716 on: March 14, 2019, 03:13:11 PM »
Play ball!

Bumped into at least six MU fans wearing Marquette shirts today at Sloan Park for Cubs game.  Average age north of 70.  Weather could be better, only 60 degrees. 

Not feeling overly optimistic about the game later today against the Redmen.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #717 on: March 14, 2019, 03:51:47 PM »

Better watch out for those panther ornaments

MU82

• All American
« Reply #718 on: March 14, 2019, 11:01:09 PM »
Better watch out for those panther ornaments

Very relevant.

Do you like it when the neighbor's dog takes a dump in your front yard?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #719 on: March 14, 2019, 11:23:53 PM »
So left handed journeymen relievers are going to be in trouble.....union is not going to like that I can guarantee you.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #720 on: March 14, 2019, 11:57:26 PM »
So left handed journeymen relievers are going to be in trouble.....union is not going to like that I can guarantee you.

Union sacrificed them for some of the other concessions. 26th man on MLB rosters, no pitch clock and a commitment to negotiate.

I still don't see a path forward that avoids a lockout, though.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #721 on: March 15, 2019, 07:19:38 AM »
Union sacrificed them for some of the other concessions. 26th man on MLB rosters, no pitch clock and a commitment to negotiate.

I still don't see a path forward that avoids a lockout, though.

Likely a strike because I think the owners are happy with the current CBA.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #722 on: March 15, 2019, 07:40:25 AM »
Likely a strike because I think the owners are happy with the current CBA.

Yeah players are going to have to strike I think, I'm all for it and hope they win.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #723 on: March 15, 2019, 07:57:17 AM »
Remind me about the timing of the CBA.  My recollection is 2020 for a possible strike.  Be good to know up front so I can not pay any attention that year.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #724 on: March 15, 2019, 08:33:25 AM »
After the 2021 season.