[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB hot stove discussion 2018/19 off season  (Read 112088 times)

WarriorDad

• All American
Re: MLB hot stove discussion 2018/19 off season
« Reply #750 on: March 19, 2019, 10:38:22 PM »
He could have received $650M some are saying.  Congratulations on keeping your guy.  You need to improve your spring training stadium.  Showing its age compared to all the new parks.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #751 on: March 20, 2019, 02:02:13 AM »
Good point on Mantle injury.  I would also say guys just take care of themselves better today due to the knowledge and money at stake.  Mantle was a drinker, Trout from all reports doesn't touch the stuff.

The Babe was known to enjoy the occasional hot dog and beer too.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #752 on: March 20, 2019, 06:00:14 AM »
Just saw on TV:  average of $67,000 an at-bat.  Ridiculous. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #753 on: March 20, 2019, 09:27:18 AM »
No idea if true, trusting journalists here

Typical chicos pot-shot at "journalists." Here's what article says:

If Trout was a California resident, noted CPA Robert Raiola on Twitter, he would pocket less than half of the contract’s amount, netting $214 million once he had paid his state and federal income taxes.

In other words, the journalist (as is usually the case) is only the messenger. In this instance, Fortune was just reporting what a CPA said.

So, in fact, you should have said, "No idea if true, trusting a CPA here." But you wouldn't have been chicos if you said that.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #754 on: March 20, 2019, 09:31:10 AM »
He could have received $650M some are saying.  Congratulations on keeping your guy.  You need to improve your spring training stadium.  Showing its age compared to all the new parks.

Maybe sign a pitcher, too.  Tyler Skaggs is the Angels' Opening Day starter.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #755 on: March 20, 2019, 10:16:46 AM »

It's Trevor Cahill. But point stands.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #756 on: March 20, 2019, 10:22:07 AM »

I see a Breakdown Dead Ahead.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #757 on: March 20, 2019, 10:27:10 AM »
Typical chicos pot-shot at "journalists." Here's what article says:

If Trout was a California resident, noted CPA Robert Raiola on Twitter, he would pocket less than half of the contract’s amount, netting $214 million once he had paid his state and federal income taxes.

In other words, the journalist (as is usually the case) is only the messenger. In this instance, Fortune was just reporting what a CPA said.

So, in fact, you should have said, "No idea if true, trusting a CPA here." But you wouldn't have been chicos if you said that.

The journalist chose to use the CPA’s information and push it further to the readers.  Nowhere in the article was their any skepticism of whether the cpa is right or wrong, it is assumed it is right because the journalist has put it out there as fact. 

I’m old enough to remember when journalists would validate first before publishing, or they would give an alternative option if there was a question on the merits.  That’s not the case here, so me being the kind and caring person I am, I am doing the warning for the readers that the journalist who wrote the article and decided to effectively endorse the the CPA’s position may not be right....I don’t know....will leave it to the experts to decide.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #758 on: March 20, 2019, 10:29:00 AM »
Just saw on TV:  average of $67,000 an at-bat.  Ridiculous.

At bats that I actually pay attention to as do many.  Think about all the guys making $20k per at bat that no one gives a damn about because they aren’t that compelling.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #759 on: March 20, 2019, 10:30:27 AM »

We have lost more guys to Tommy John surgery than any other team the last 10 years.  It has been brutal.  Our opening day starter shut down two weeks ago for rehab.  A lot of arm troubles for our guys.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #760 on: March 20, 2019, 10:40:43 AM »
The journalist chose to use the CPA’s information and push it further to the readers.  Nowhere in the article was their any skepticism of whether the cpa is right or wrong, it is assumed it is right because the journalist has put it out there as fact. 

I’m old enough to remember when journalists would validate first before publishing, or they would give an alternative option if there was a question on the merits.  That’s not the case here, so me being the kind and caring person I am, I am doing the warning for the readers that the journalist who wrote the article and decided to effectively endorse the the CPA’s position may not be right....I don’t know....will leave it to the experts to decide.

Attaboy. Don't admit that you were wrong to go after the messenger (aka "the enemy of the people") rather than the source.

chicos! chicos! chicos!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #761 on: March 20, 2019, 10:42:49 AM »
We have lost more guys to Tommy John surgery than any other team the last 10 years.  It has been brutal.  Our opening day starter shut down two weeks ago for rehab.  A lot of arm troubles for our guys.

The Halos using the same mound dirt as Santa Anita?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #762 on: March 20, 2019, 10:47:56 AM »
Attaboy. Don't admit that you were wrong to go after the messenger (aka "the enemy of the people") rather than the source.

chicos! chicos! chicos!

The irony coming from you, especially.

Not the enemy of the people, at least not the ones that stick to facts, are objective and don’t have an agenda.  I enjoyed reading the last week about stories purposely spiked by journalists because they thought it would hurt the person they were writing about....their horse in the race...ahh, nothing like objective and bringing truth to the peeps.  “We will decide what you get to learn about and if there is something that we know to be truthful but damaging and against what we stand for and may hurt the image of our annoited ones, well you don’t get to learn about it”.  Ah yes, the gatekeepers we should trust, aye.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 10:54:37 AM by Cheeks »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #763 on: March 20, 2019, 10:53:37 AM »
The Halos using the same mound dirt as Santa Anita?

No kidding, bad year over there for the ponies.  We have a race track 5 miles from us, and nothing close to the damage going on at Santa Anita.  Tragic

MU82

• All American
« Reply #764 on: March 20, 2019, 11:05:13 AM »
The irony coming from you, especially.

Not the enemy of the people, at least not the ones that stick to facts, are objective and don’t have an agenda.  I enjoyed reading the last week about stories purposely spiked by journalists because they thought it would hurt the person they were writing about....their horse in the race...ahh, nothing like objective and bringing truth to the peeps.  “We will decide what you get to learn about and if there is something that we know to be truthful but damaging and against what we stand for and may hurt the image of our annoited ones, well you don’t get to learn about it”.  Ah yes, the gatekeepers we should trust, aye.

Attaboy.

The only gatekeeper anybody should trust is chicos.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #765 on: March 20, 2019, 02:24:15 PM »
Interesting on the Sox/Jimenez deal, roll of the dice obviously on a player who's never played in MLB. Jimenez loses a year of free agency and there's not going to be any arbitration to go through. If he's a superstar, which I certainly hope he will be, the last few years of the deal will be incredibly club friendly. Since their payroll is next to nothing the next two years, it really doesn't hurt them.

If nothing else, no other team in MLB is better at locking up their young players on team friendly deals than the Sox, it's actually pretty incredible the deals they've negotiated over the last few years with their (albeit small) good players.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #766 on: March 20, 2019, 03:47:48 PM »
Interesting on the Sox/Jimenez deal, roll of the dice obviously on a player who's never played in MLB. Jimenez loses a year of free agency and there's not going to be any arbitration to go through. If he's a superstar, which I certainly hope he will be, the last few years of the deal will be incredibly club friendly. Since their payroll is next to nothing the next two years, it really doesn't hurt them.

If nothing else, no other team in MLB is better at locking up their young players on team friendly deals than the Sox, it's actually pretty incredible the deals they've negotiated over the last few years with their (albeit small) good players.
Love the idea they can bring Eloy up immediately without the BS of having to hold him down for the beginning of the year.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #767 on: March 20, 2019, 04:00:40 PM »
Maybe, as a Halos fan we look at this one differently.  Albert was on the downslide when signed.  Trout hasn't shown anything of that kind....yet.  They knew when they got Pujols he had 3 or 4 decent years ahead, they were able to get the best record in baseball with him for one year, but ran into the Royals insane run.  Moreno probably felt he would have been burned at the stake if he lost Trout.

That's what I am telling myself anyway.

If that was the case for Pujols, why did they sign him for deal that makes Bobby Bonilla's Mets deal look like a short-termer.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #768 on: March 20, 2019, 11:39:26 PM »
If that was the case for Pujols, why did they sign him for deal that makes Bobby Bonilla's Mets deal look like a short-termer.

???  Not sure I am following.

Pujols has three more years.  Bonilla is being paid for many more years, ends in 2035.

Yes, aware that Pujols has a 10 year personal services deal after he retires, but that doesn’t count toward luxury tax and he has plenty of good Will out here with his charity, etc....having future hall of gamers on the payroll that are quality human beings isn’t the worst thing in the world. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #769 on: March 21, 2019, 12:09:41 AM »

Talk amongst yourself.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #770 on: March 21, 2019, 11:19:23 AM »
Ichiro retires after becoming oldest al player to start on opening day

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #771 on: March 21, 2019, 12:44:52 PM »
Talk amongst yourself.

Can we bring Billy and all the other incorrectly labeled posters in, too?

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #772 on: March 27, 2019, 11:37:13 AM »
I take my Rotisserie league very, very seriously, and I'm happy about my draft but worried about my OF.  I also have below-average RP, but spend April/May being a vulture until bullpens settle down.
C: Sanchez
1B: Goldschmidt
2B: Albies
3B: Rendon
SS: Bregman
OF: Puig
OF: Castellanos
OF: Pollock
UTL: Segura
UTL: Encarnacion
SP: Scherzer
SP: Snell
SP: Mikolas
SP: Castillo
SP: Quintana
RP: Hicks
RP: Strop
RP: Barnes
Bench: Brantley (OF), Peraza (SS), Moustakas (3B), Moncada (2B)

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #773 on: March 27, 2019, 11:46:02 AM »
Still amazed that Keuchel isn't signed. It's not like there's a superabundence of SPs floating around the show.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #774 on: March 28, 2019, 01:13:37 AM »
Still amazed that Keuchel isn't signed. It's not like there's a superabundence of SPs floating around the show.

He’s waiting for 100 mil.  Brewers offered him about 40, unfortunately he didn’t bite.

1st year was about 5 mil
2nd was 7mil
3 was 27 mil

feedback