[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Breast Feeding (From NFL Thread)  (Read 16699 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Breast Feeding (From NFL Thread)
« on: September 16, 2018, 12:11:02 PM »
Saw this post and was like, how the hell did we get to here in an NFL football thread.

Sultan is right.  No reason both stances cannot be supported. 

Frankly, a 3-month old does not have a lot of business being at an NFL football game.  I personally think bringing the child is a bad idea...but, not my kid. 

As Lazar says, a woman does have the right to feed their child in any way they see fit (as long as it is not hurting the well being of the child).  She can do so by buying a ticket for her child.  Problem solved.

Doubt this will go far, but wanted to respond and felt the NFL Thread wasn't the place for it.

My wife and I having this debate right now regarding the Fiserv Forum. Greta will be 8 months old on opening night when UMBC comes to town. Typically, my wife and I go to games together. I'll occasionally bring someone else, she will even rarely take our tickets and bring a friend, but more often than not we go together.

With an infant, we're debating how best to manage it. We have a wrap that she usually falls asleep in quickly, and one advantage to the Forum is the open concept that would allow us to move up to the concourse tables if she gets fussy and disturbs those around us.

We may use babysitters at times, but to date have only used family, and that's even been rare because our only local in-law is an hour away (my parents are in Florida). And that local in-law just broke both her ankles, so I'm not sure how viable watching Greta will be for her in the coming months.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUBurrow

• All American
Re: Breast Feeding (From NFL Thread)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 01:15:15 PM »
Being childless, when I see folks at games with really little babies, I often think "phew, couldn't imagine needing to do that, it seems it would really take the fun out of it" - but so long as it doesn't directly affect me, I can't imagine getting bent out of shape about it.

I only get pissed when folks have crying babies at restaurants, games, etc., and don't remove them to soothe them when they are fussy. It seems that once a lot of people have kids, they get this very nervous, smiley, "we all went through it, it takes a village, HAHAHA" attitude about that, which i think is BS.  That's what makes the Packers woman so full of crap - its a perfectly reasonable policy to require the kid to have a ticket. There's no way that woman and her four month old's needs don't spill into the seats next to her - especially given the outdoor, bench style seating at Lambeau. Its completely predictable that having the seat next to her would really detract from the experience, and she shouldn't feel entitled to that.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 01:20:37 PM »
I only get pissed when folks have crying babies at restaurants, games, etc., and don't remove them to soothe them when they are fussy. It seems that once a lot of people have kids, they get this very nervous, smiley, "we all went through it, it takes a village, HAHAHA" attitude about that, which i think is BS.  That's what makes the Packers woman so full of crap - its a perfectly reasonable policy to require the kid to have a ticket. There's no way that woman and her four month old's needs don't spill into the seats next to her - especially given the outdoor, bench style seating at Lambeau. Its completely predictable that having the seat next to her would really detract from the experience, and she shouldn't feel entitled to that.

We think about that a lot. If our daughter gets super fussy in a public place, we either take her aside to soothe her or leave altogether. But event by event it's hard to figure out where that line will be. In a restaurant or park? Sure, there was no admission cost. At a game where we spent money to be there? Trying to soothe and stay seems better than wasting the ticket money. On a plane? Not far you can go.

In a movie theater? Hell no. No infant should go to a movie. When the point is to be quiet and the volume will be loud, that's just being the a-hole in the room.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 01:22:04 PM »
Doubt this will go far, but wanted to respond and felt the NFL Thread wasn't the place for it.

My wife and I having this debate right now regarding the Fiserv Forum. Greta will be 8 months old on opening night when UMBC comes to town. Typically, my wife and I go to games together. I'll occasionally bring someone else, she will even rarely take our tickets and bring a friend, but more often than not we go together.

With an infant, we're debating how best to manage it. We have a wrap that she usually falls asleep in quickly, and one advantage to the Forum is the open concept that would allow us to move up to the concourse tables if she gets fussy and disturbs those around us.

We may use babysitters at times, but to date have only used family, and that's even been rare because our only local in-law is an hour away (my parents are in Florida). And that local in-law just broke both her ankles, so I'm not sure how viable watching Greta will be for her in the coming months.
Start developing a go to list of babysitters. There are plenty of good quality high school and college kids. Ask around and find the best one in the neighborhood and have her come in a couple times before the season starts. Once you have one good one, they have friends and it goes from there.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 01:34:50 PM »
Game=hearing protection

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 01:35:13 PM »
We think about that a lot. If our daughter gets super fussy in a public place, we either take her aside to soothe her or leave altogether. But event by event it's hard to figure out where that line will be. In a restaurant or park? Sure, there was no admission cost. At a game where we spent money to be there? Trying to soothe and stay seems better than wasting the ticket money. On a plane? Not far you can go.

In a movie theater? Hell no. No infant should go to a movie. When the point is to be quiet and the volume will be loud, that's just being the a-hole in the room.

Oh totally situationally dependent, and I would hope most folks around you would be cool. And I think that's what makes the Packers game different than Fiserv.  An indoor bball game with individual seats makes it far easier and more reasonable to shuffle a baby in and out, have your diaper bag and the like, and keep her relatively content during the game, vs accomplishing the same goals with a single seat number on the benches at Lambeau. 

And breast feeding should be a settled issue by now. Perfectly fine anytime, anywhere.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 02:40:34 PM »
Start developing a go to list of babysitters. There are plenty of good quality high school and college kids. Ask around and find the best one in the neighborhood and have her come in a couple times before the season starts. Once you have one good one, they have friends and it goes from there.

Ha!  Easier said then done when you are not originally from the area and you live in a neighborhood where there are no kids over the age of 8. 

At least there are online referral services now, which didn't exist when our kids were young.
Have some patience, FFS.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 02:47:43 PM »
Game=hearing protection

Definitely. We've been planning on that and I used your post as a reminder to actually order them. Will be here Wednesday.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 02:50:39 PM »

re: babysitters.  We have had some good luck with hiring a daycare teacher for the night (check your daycares policies, I know not all places allow it.  We have also had some luck in swapping childcare with a friend, (you watch their kid one night, and they watch your another night...) that way you don't have to pay $$$ every time you want to go out.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 03:59:14 PM »

My opinion doesn't mean much, but for the reasons you illustrate regarding the venue, taking an infant to a basketball game is very different than a football game at Lambeau.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 04:43:09 PM »
I see it as the Packers taking a PR hit in an effort to prevent really bad parenting.

(And no, I don't think that is the reason the Packers did it)

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 04:50:18 PM »
Brew, took our daughter to first MU game when she was 8 weeks old. Bring the Ergo for them to fall asleep in. Don’t expect to watch the entire game. Will have to let the 8th month old out and move at some point. I did notice that Fiserv has family restrooms. Take her to the game, at some point she will have to be out in public with other people, and the more times she does it the better it will be. And if people want to complain about how loud a child is at an MU game, that’s not cura personalis.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 06:34:41 PM »
We started bringing our son to sporting events at 4 months in the Baby Bjorn or other carrier. Brought a wrap for feeding - 0 comments from people.

Dude was content as a log most of the event when awake and slept perfectly when he wanted to snooze. Lasted until he started walking at a year. We could still pull it off with him sleeping when he wanted, but he wanted to be on the go most of the time.We're at 15 mo and I can't imagine this is sustainable. Like you, we've predominantly relied on family and close friends.

Brewers games are great because they have the playground up in the 400s. Packers family night sucked because there is 0 effort by the NFL to make their stadiums accessible for families. We have aisle seats at the forum, so hopefully accessibility makes all but the busiest day games (Nova, Wisconsin). But we might decide we want to actually watch the games at some point...

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 07:47:54 PM »
We brought our first kid to MU games all the time.   He'd normally fall asleep by half time, which was a problem in itself .. the adult can't move around much at that point, just provide a lap.  It worked.  And we never had those headfones for kids .. he'd fall asleep anyhow.

I think the worst part of the kid process was the transportation.  I'd often drop them off at the door, but then there's the hike back to the car without stroller. 

It worked out.   Big games we'd get a babysitter, mostly for us to enjoy more of the game.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 08:03:13 PM »
In my opinion, kids (probably 6 and under) at NFL games is asking for trouble. It’s just a far far different environment than a baseball or basketball game. I’ve taken my son Bradley to a couple preseason Bear games to experience it, but a regular season football game with a young kid just isn’t fun for the adult and the kid is exposed to “a lot” to put it mildly.

My youngest (now 4) made it through a full Hawks game a couple years ago, three quarters of a Bulls game at 9 months, and he’s decided he loathes fireworks and refused to go to any more Sox games or KC Cougar games.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 08:19:34 PM »
FF will have a kids area I hear.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2018, 08:55:41 PM »
Do what we did when our oldest was 8 months old: Just leave her alone for a few hours while you enjoy yourself.

Hey, man, they have to learn to be independent at some point!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2018, 09:26:15 PM »
FF will have a kids area I hear.

Good, I was hoping to bring her to the Final Four this year too.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2018, 09:27:53 PM »
Do what we did when our oldest was 8 months old: Just leave her alone for a few hours while you enjoy yourself.

Hey, man, they have to learn to be independent at some point!

I wish I could find this article .. there was a story 5-10 years ago from Florida (of course) .. where a mom had to serve a month in jail and left her 4 year old at home.    The toddler managed. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2018, 06:01:50 AM »
I'm not sure about the rest of the NFL but the Packers are out of step with the rest of Wisconsin sports franchises. Bucks, Marquette, Madison football, Brewers all allow a child either 2 or under or under 2 to attend a game without a ticket. We've taken our son to each of those when he was less than two, though to be fair to the Packers, we didn't take him to a Badger game when he was still breast feeding.

We've been taking the kid to MU games since he was 1 month old, and frankly he loves the games, but we also recognize that we have to "sacrifice" when he wants to run around late in a game because he's tired of sitting. My favorite story of him was watching a 6PM non-con with just him and I as the wife works late some evenings at can't make all the games. He was sitting on my lap (a little over two at the time) watching the game and mid-way through the 1st half I wanted to get his attention to ask if he wanted something to eat and he turned his head briefly and said "shh, no talking dada, I'm watching the game". Proudest moment of my life. So bring the kid if you want, it's a different and harder experience but if it's what you want do it. I will agree though, that the bigger games, like Bucky this year, we'll stash him somewhere so we aren't distracted by the whole parenting thing.

Now, I will stand up for a breast feeding mother, because damn that is a hard job and a lot of times they don't want to feel excluded. Whether taking a infant to a Packer game is a bad idea or not (I wouldn't but that's my choice because Packer games are rarities IMO), as a society we should make it as easy as possible to get women back into "normalcy" as much as possible. I know my wife struggled some with the whole "I guess I just sit at home for the next year" aspect of breast feeding because you don't feel like you can go out in public or be away from the kid for longer than a couple of hours at a time. We really had to make a conscious effort to get out and do stuff and I would try to make it as easy on my wife as possible because it's really hard as it is. Classic example of where we just don't think about the things is infant changing tables in restrooms....a lot of men's rooms don't have changing tables in them, only the women's rooms do universally. The BC didn't have a men's room with a changing table that I ever found, so I usually ended up changing my son on the metal table in the middle of the restroom (maybe that's what it was for?). But the number of times we've taken our son some place public and I went to change him and had to come back and have my wife do it because there isn't a changing table is staggering.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2018, 08:14:12 AM »
Kohl's is the sponsor...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2018/08/24/kohls-corp-sponsors-family-friendly-space-inside.amp.html

That will actually be very convenient for us as we are in 115, just around the corner from that area. I saw it when we did the tour but didn't realize what it was at the time.

eng, I definitely worked to help my wife get back into the world. I try to make sure she gets chances to go out with friends as much as possible, but sometimes you have to bring the kid with to make it work.

Changing tables in men's rooms are huge. The Forum does have at least one family restroom I saw, but it was upstairs. I'll have to look around to see if there's any near our section. However, if not, they do have changing tables in the men's rooms. I'm pretty sure that at the Marquette tour, I was the first person to use one of them because when I opened it up, the installation guide was still zip-tied to the table in a plastic pouch.

The place that has surprised me most without men's room changing tables is at the Summerfest grounds. I believe the only men's room changing table is in the back west corner of the bathrooms next to the EMS building. I've been in numerous other bathrooms there and they don't have them installed. Every time I wanted to change our daughter, I had to truck her across the park to that same bathroom. Considering how many family-friendly events they have (literally every weekend all summer long) you'd think they would be more accommodating to families.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2018, 08:47:24 AM »
Took my daughter to the Kalahari water park 3 years ago while my wife was at a conference. Had to change her in the men’s locker room, because there was no family bathroom. It was insane to me at the time, that a family place like that didn’t have a family bathroom.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2018, 08:54:15 AM »
Thanks for starting this thread, brew. We'll be trying to best handle bringing a 4 month old to games this season, so it's good to read these anecdotes. I think we'll probably bring her to about 1/3 of the games, my wife will probably skip some cupcakes and stay home with her, and we'll get a sitter for the bigger/louder games.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2018, 08:56:36 AM »
Eng, when was #nored's toughest season?  As he gets older and more into it, I know MU hoops is becoming quite fun for both of you.  Trust me, in about a dozen years it'll be the only common ground you have with him for awhile.   :o  How was he at one plus a few months or two plus a few months?

feedback