collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Entering the Job Market  (Read 12939 times)

MUCrew

• All American
Entering the Job Market
« on: September 13, 2018, 12:33:32 PM »
So after 14 years of owning my own business, I’ve decided to stop doing that and re-enter the job market.  I’m currently working with a career coach and recruiters to find something in my area.  The biggest problem is that I’m kind of a jack of all trades master of none kind of prospect.  It’s a screen printing business, so I’m a part of the process from start to finish.  From initial point of contact to production to final QC checks and billing.  The career coach and I narrowed it down to a position of a buyer/procurement/supply chain kind of position, but even then I’m unsure if I’d like it - or even if I’d make enough for my family. 

I guess I’m writing this to reach out for some guidance or direction.  It’s a big step for me and I feel talking about this with members of the Marquette community would be more helpful than what I’m getting now.  Thanks for listening.

drewm88

• All American
Re: Entering the Job Market
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 01:14:41 PM »
I can't really offer any advice personally, but don't forget that as an alum you have access to a resources through Marquette's Career Services. Good luck!

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 01:21:24 PM »
Well, what aspects of the business did you like?  Was it the sales and moving people to purchase, or was it down in the trenches making things go, or back of the house management - billing, contracts, etc? 

I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 01:59:57 PM »
How is your LinkedIn profile? Have you been building up a strong base of connections?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 02:13:19 PM »
Well, what aspects of the business did you like?  Was it the sales and moving people to purchase, or was it down in the trenches making things go, or back of the house management - billing, contracts, etc?

This is important. In my position, I see tons of resumes that are in that same vein as Crew, but they can't articulate what they want to do. Unfortunately in a high-volume area, those tend to get passed over.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 03:02:12 PM »
JERRY: So, what are you gonna do now? Are you gonna look for something else

in real estate?

GEORGE: Nobody's hiring now. The market's terrible.

JERRY: So what are you gonna do?

GEORGE: I like sports. I could do something in sports.

JERRY: Uh-huh. Uh-huh. In what capacity?

GEORGE: You know, like the general manager of a baseball team or something.

JERRY: Yeah. Well, that - that could be tough to get.

GEORGE: Well, it doesn't even have to be the general manager. Maybe I could

be like, an announcer. Like a caller man. You know how I always make

those interesting comments during the game.

JERRY: Yeah. Yeah. You make good comments.

GEORGE: What about that?

JERRY: Well, they tend to give those jobs to ex-ballplayers and people that

are, you know, in broadcasting.

GEORGE: Well, that's really not fair.

JERRY: I know. Well, okay. Okay. What else do ya like?

GEORGE: Movies. I like to watch movies.

JERRY: Yeah. Yeah.

GEORGE: Do they pay people to watch movies?

JERRY: Projectionists.

GEORGE: That's true.

JERRY: But you gotta know how to work the projector.

GEORGE: Right.

JERRY: And it's probably a union thing.

GEORGE: [scoffs] Those unions. [sighs] Okay. Sports,...movies. What about a

talk show host?

JERRY: Talk show host. That's good.

GEORGE: I think I'd be good at that. I talk to people all the time. Someone

even told me once they thought I'd be a good talk show host.

JERRY: Really?

GEORGE: Yeah. A couple of people. I don't get that, though. Where do you

start?

JERRY: Well, that's where it gets tricky.

GEORGE: You can't just walk into a building and say " I wanna be a talk

show host."

JERRY: I wouldn't think so.

GEORGE: It's all politics.

JERRY: All right. Okay. Sports, movies, talk show host. What else?

GEORGE: This could have been a huge mistake.

JERRY: Well, it doesn't sound like you completely thought this through.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 03:13:49 PM »
4ever can hook you up at the Sugar Shack.  He mops the floors there on the weekends.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 03:48:44 PM »
So after 14 years of owning my own business, I’ve decided to stop doing that and re-enter the job market.  I’m currently working with a career coach and recruiters to find something in my area.  The biggest problem is that I’m kind of a jack of all trades master of none kind of prospect.  It’s a screen printing business, so I’m a part of the process from start to finish.  From initial point of contact to production to final QC checks and billing.  The career coach and I narrowed it down to a position of a buyer/procurement/supply chain kind of position, but even then I’m unsure if I’d like it - or even if I’d make enough for my family. 

I guess I’m writing this to reach out for some guidance or direction.  It’s a big step for me and I feel talking about this with members of the Marquette community would be more helpful than what I’m getting now.  Thanks for listening.

You need to network, network, network.   What part of the world do you live in?

What kind of coaching has your career coach given you on networking?

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 04:09:39 PM »

I think the Procurement/Supply Chain stuff makes sense.  Maybe even a Project Manager type role (Commercialization Manager/Ops Business Manager).  Realistically, it'll take a couple years to figure our what you want and don't want to do.  Also, you'll have to figure what size of company you want to work for.  Going from running your own business to a large corporation, might make you crazy with how slow stuff moves and how decisions are made.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 08:33:11 AM »
I don't know you so your question is not easy to answer, so I will give generic (but I think very sound) advice, pretty much echoing what T-Bone said earlier:

Go for something you enjoy doing, something that gives you a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment.

At this stage of your life, if you get a job that you don't like, even if it pays OK, you will quickly get disenchanted and will spend much of your time looking for a way out.

So decide what kind of profession/job would make you happy and work toward making that happen. I would think the career coach could help you with this; if he/she can't or won't, maybe it's time to find another career coach.

I also like drewm's suggestion of using your Marquette connections the best you can.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 09:32:08 AM »
Buyer/procurement/supply chain don't make bad salaries.
You may want to go to Indeed.com and you can check average salaries in your area for various job titles such as "Buyer" or "Purchasing Agent" or "Purchasing Manager" as it may ease your mind or give you food for thought.
I feel like an expert at the job search after 6 months unemployment in 2009 followed by continued attempts for "perm" positions during 15 months of Contract Engineer positions followed by a few years search after getting a "perm" position to working on getting a dream job.   

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 02:32:13 PM »
In this day and age, many, many, many people have gone through job transitions, and are very open to helping others with networking.  Start working your network.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 07:28:06 PM »

What state are you in?

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 08:01:38 PM »

I’m in a similar boat. Mid-40’s just sold my reataurant after nearly 18 years. Thanks for posting this, the universe works in strange ways. I’ll be keeping tabs on all the wonderful advice and tips.

I know you just sold a screen print business, but I have a business idea/plan that includes this type of process/product. Perhaps you can share your experiences sometime. Thank you
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 08:03:34 PM by 21Jumpstreet »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2018, 11:26:11 PM »

Why are you getting out of your own business? What are the pluses and minuses of your business. Are you sure you want to get out?
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2018, 08:34:52 AM »
34 years ago, I was a magazine writer for a national trade organization. Did OK, but was restless.

I decided to apply for graduate school and was accepted in 1984. l earned an MBA from Chicago's Jesuit University. Came out of grad school ready to work but had no idea what I wanted to do. All I knew was that after four years at a newspaper and six at a magazine, the lure of journalism had worn off. What can an MBA whose experience was in writing do in the business world?

What happened next was amazing. I had a relationship with a senior colleague at work in our technical support area. He offered me a job in a new company he was joining, which I took. He mentored for the next few years and introduced me to other mentors who taught me the ropes. Morale of the story: know your friends, know who can help you and let the people in whom you confide guide and mentor you. They won't let you down.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 11:26:52 AM by dgies9156 »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2018, 08:36:32 AM »
34 years ago, I was a magazine writer for a national trade organization. Did OK, but was restless.

I decided to apply for graduate school and was accepted in 1984. l and earned an MBA from Chicago's Jesuit University. Came out of grad school ready to work but had no idea what I wanted to do. All I knew was that after four years at a newspaper and six at a magazine, the lure of journalism had worn off. What can an MBA whose experience was in writing do in the business world?

What happened next was amazing. I had a relationship with a senior colleague at work in our technical support area. He offered me a job in a new company he was joining, which I took. He mentored for the next few years and introduced me to other mentors who taught me the ropes. Morale of the story: know your friends, know who can help you and let the people in whom you confide guide and mentor you. They won't let you down.

AKA networking.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2018, 11:13:53 AM »
AKA networking.

Very true, Brother RealChili. Very true.

How's the fish biting, speaking of networking.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2018, 01:37:22 PM »
I'm (unfortunately) interested in the career coach aspect. 

Long story short, my company was family owned, passed from two fathers to their sons, but the last father died a year ago and whammo, the company was sold to a competitor 10 times our size.   All the IT systems I've created over 18 years are now being decommissioned, which is personally brutal.  Lots of beef n cheddars have been necessary, and I have zero idea if I'll be employed in 6-12 months. 

I frankly don't know what an old programmer does after his coding days are over, thus the need for a career coach .. or something.   Kinda hoping to avoid working at Arby's.  #sadtrombone

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2018, 03:28:26 PM »

Long story short, my company was family owned, passed from two fathers to their sons, but the last father died a year ago and whammo, the company was sold to a competitor 10 times our size.   All the IT systems I've created over 18 years are now being decommissioned, which is personally brutal.  Lots of beef n cheddars have been necessary, and I have zero idea if I'll be employed in 6-12 months. 

I frankly don't know what an old programmer does after his coding days are over, thus the need for a career coach .. or something.   Kinda hoping to avoid working at Arby's.  #sadtrombone

Wishing you well, topper. Keep us posted.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2018, 04:22:31 PM »

Consider signing up with a local, boutique firm that does outplacement.  Avoid the big box ones.  It will pay dividends.

And start networking....NOW!!!

Topper, you know a sh1t ton of people from this board alone.  Plus from your time in public service. 

In today's world, there are tons of people that have been in transition, and want to give back and help you network.  You just need to take the first step. 

Also, get yor LinkedIn profile done professionally.  Seriously. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2018, 07:10:18 AM »
Very true, Brother RealChili. Very true.

How's the fish biting, speaking of networking.

Fish were biting well on Perrault Lake last week. Helped net a 32.5 wallets and someone got a 55 Muskie. Only thing better was all the Sonoran salsa Dunks brought.   Heaven.

The lodge was featured on Linders Angliers Edge. They were there same time last year. Our walleye was a touch bigger than the one on the show, per the lodge owner, Steve.

https://manotak.com

Hope your dad is doing well. Did you make it “up north “ this summer?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2018, 10:18:04 AM »
Honestly, I'd never heard of the phrase "outplacement" before.  So I guess that's one place I can start.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2018, 10:34:38 AM »
Honestly, I'd never heard of the phrase "outplacement" before.  So I guess that's one place I can start.

PM me

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2018, 01:16:05 PM »

You will be in high demand. Lots of businesses have older legacy systems and need a pro like you who understands them. For example, if you have expertise in programming something like the I Series, there are plenty of companies who will will be interested.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire