[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: CBS Sports article on Coach K's replacement: Wojo #1 on list  (Read 16496 times)

avid1010

• All American
Re: CBS Sports article on Coach K's replacement: Wojo #1 on list
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2018, 08:03:39 PM »
Chance wojo doesn't take the Duke job if offered...0% 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2018, 08:15:07 PM »
A 3rd grader wrote that article.

My favorite line was "Wojciechowski starred at Duke, where he played from 1994-98 and earned the moniker "Wojo."

Think about that for a minute. He had to live almost 20 years before some genius thought up the nickname "Wojo".

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2018, 08:16:42 PM »
Brad Stevens is one of the most secure coaches in the NBA. He's not trading that in. The only reason people ever mention him is because he's clean cut and white.

First, that's 2 reasons, not one. Second, it's BS. There are plenty of clean cut white guys coaching basketball who aren't mentioned. He's mentioned because a) it's a top job and b) he's a top coach.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2018, 08:17:58 PM »
My favorite line was "Wojciechowski starred at Duke, where he played from 1994-98 and earned the moniker "Wojo."

Think about that for a minute. He had to live almost 20 years before some genius thought up the nickname "Wojo".

And he had to EARN it, dammit!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2018, 08:28:27 PM »
First, that's 2 reasons, not one. Second, it's BS. There are plenty of clean cut white guys coaching basketball who aren't mentioned. He's mentioned because a) it's a top job and b) he's a top coach.

Picture of Lennys

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2018, 08:37:48 PM »
Picture of Lennys

So, you and Brew are saying Duke is racist.

#stirringthepot

alexius23

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2018, 08:46:20 PM »
If offered the job....how could he possibly turn it down? Even more tha Crean to Indiana this would be an elite job. Thankless perhaps ....but a huge jump up from MU

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2018, 08:48:16 PM »
Picture of Lennys

If he had his head up his ass....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2018, 08:57:20 PM »
So, you and Brew are saying Duke is racist.

#stirringthepot

No, I'm not saying that about Duke at all.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2018, 09:11:56 PM »
No, I'm not saying that about Duke at all.

No need to respond. I was gigging you. 👍

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2018, 09:51:33 PM »
If offered the job....how could he possibly turn it down? Even more tha Crean to Indiana this would be an elite job. Thankless perhaps ....but a huge jump up from MU

I think if Wojo has any sense of basketball coaching history, he'll turn it down in a heartbeat.  Historically, coaches following legends just haven't done that well, unless they have their own long and successful coaching history.  Quick, who were the coaches that followed Lute Olson, Dean Smith, Bobby Knight, John Wooden, Adolph Rupp, Al McGuire (ok, most of you know that one)?  Exactly!  Assuming that Duke thinks he has had the experience and success sufficient to take over the "elite" Blue Devils, why would Wojo want to take the job?  Especially if he's building something nice at Marquette.  The pressure to perform will be enormous, the probability of failure will be high - maybe there will be some success in the first year with K's old recruits (Tubby Smith...), if they decide to stay around rather than hitching their star to another elite coach.

Wojo is simply the most convenient answer to this question.  K's long term assistant, blah, blah, blah, Duke pedigree, blah blah blah.  My bet is that when the time comes, Duke will be looking for a proven name to replace K, and that name won't be Wojciechowski. 

ETA:  This is not to say I think Wojo will never coach at Duke.  After his 3rd natty at Marquette, and K's successor craps the bed, he'll accept the Duke job.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 09:57:01 PM by MomofMUltiples »
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2018, 09:59:45 PM »
I think if Wojo has any sense of basketball coaching history, he'll turn it down in a heartbeat.  Historically, coaches following legends just haven't done that well, unless they have their own long and successful coaching history.  Quick, who were the coaches that followed Lute Olson, Dean Smith, Bobby Knight, John Wooden, Adolph Rupp, Al McGuire (ok, most of you know that one)?  Exactly!  Assuming that Duke thinks he has had the experience and success sufficient to take over the "elite" Blue Devils, why would Wojo want to take the job?  Especially if he's building something nice at Marquette.  The pressure to perform will be enormous, the probability of failure will be high - maybe there will be some success in the first year with K's old recruits (Tubby Smith...), if they decide to stay around rather than hitching their star to another elite coach.

Wojo is simply the most convenient answer to this question.  K's long term assistant, blah, blah, blah, Duke pedigree, blah blah blah.  My bet is that when the time comes, Duke will be looking for a proven name to replace K, and that name won't be Wojciechowski.

I Agree with this analysis.  I think when Coach CC was here he commented that he wouldn't be surprised if Wojo turned the Duke job down. 
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2018, 10:07:36 PM »
I Agree with this analysis.  I think when Coach CC was here he commented that he wouldn't be surprised if Wojo turned the Duke job down.

Who is Coach CC?

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2018, 10:11:04 PM »
Assuming Wojo has success at MU in the coming years I think he pulls a "Roy Williams" and turns down his alma mater the first time.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2018, 10:12:15 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2018, 10:19:51 PM »
I wonder what Krzyewski did to earn the moniker "Coach K."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2018, 10:23:02 PM »
Does the Duke AD have any past connections to successful basketball coaches? 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2018, 10:40:47 PM »
Here we go again.

Anytime we get a whiff of success, we automatically assume our coach is going elsewhere.

I've said it in the past and I'll say it again -- the Duke job is one of the most prestigious in basketball. They'll have their pick of anyone not coaching at the University of North Carolina. To assume the top candidate must be of the Coach K tree is folly. Surely the powers that be at Duke will consider the Coach K tree, but they also will consider just about anyone else they think might have a high probability of maintaining Duke as a College Basketball Blue Blood.

The road is littered with former elite programs that had coaching miscues along the way. Some, like Indiana, Marquette, Georgetown, etc., have struggled. Some like North Carolina fixed the errors of their ways while others, like UCLA, have been in and out and in national prominence. The financial implications of losing blue blood status are SO Great that most rational schools will take their time and look wherever they can to find the right leader for their basketball program.

Bottom line: If Coach K decides to hang it up and we're a Top 10 or Top 5 team, I'm sure Coach Wojo will be considered. Duke would be folly not to consider and Coach Wojo would be nuts not to listen. But a lot of you are assuming at that point he'll want to leave. There's no guarantee that if he's built something here, that if Doctor Lovell and our university make him happy and the program is humming, he might not just stay for the duration.

Don't sell us short, especially if we continue to build, we hit the Top 10 or Top 5 and we're putting 17,000 a night in the Computing Castle.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2018, 10:46:00 PM »
Does the Duke AD have any past connections to successful basketball coaches?

The only thing I know is Duke AD Kevin White's son Mike White is the current Gator coach  with stops at LA Tech, Old Miss and Jackson State.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2018, 11:04:47 PM »
The only thing I know is Duke AD Kevin White's son Mike White is the current Gator coach  with stops at LA Tech, Old Miss and Jackson State.

Or Billy Donovan?

Who I have been saying for 10 years should be the next Duke coach. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2018, 11:06:04 PM »
I could see someone like Jay Wright being offered the job. And don’t tell me he’s already at his destination. People said the same about Chris Mack.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2018, 11:18:07 PM »
I could see someone like Jay Wright being offered the job. And don’t tell me he’s already at his destination. People said the same about Chris Mack.

How many national titles did Mack win at X?

Wright doesn't have to leave Nova to win titles and to make big coin.

Mack had to leave X to have a shot at titles and to make big money.

Not saying Wright wouldn't leave -- none of us know any of this crud -- but what I just said is truth.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2018, 06:54:31 AM »
Here we go again.

Anytime we get a whiff of success, we automatically assume our coach is going elsewhere.

I've said it in the past and I'll say it again -- the Duke job is one of the most prestigious in basketball. They'll have their pick of anyone not coaching at the University of North Carolina. To assume the top candidate must be of the Coach K tree is folly. Surely the powers that be at Duke will consider the Coach K tree, but they also will consider just about anyone else they think might have a high probability of maintaining Duke as a College Basketball Blue Blood.

The road is littered with former elite programs that had coaching miscues along the way. Some, like Indiana, Marquette, Georgetown, etc., have struggled. Some like North Carolina fixed the errors of their ways while others, like UCLA, have been in and out and in national prominence. The financial implications of losing blue blood status are SO Great that most rational schools will take their time and look wherever they can to find the right leader for their basketball program.

Bottom line: If Coach K decides to hang it up and we're a Top 10 or Top 5 team, I'm sure Coach Wojo will be considered. Duke would be folly not to consider and Coach Wojo would be nuts not to listen. But a lot of you are assuming at that point he'll want to leave. There's no guarantee that if he's built something here, that if Doctor Lovell and our university make him happy and the program is humming, he might not just stay for the duration.

Don't sell us short, especially if we continue to build, we hit the Top 10 or Top 5 and we're putting 17,000 a night in the Computing Castle.
Hope you are not referrin to last year as a "whiff of success"
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2018, 07:11:17 AM »
Here we go again.

agree with the fact that duke can land a better coach....think of a list of coaches you believe duke could land and then tell me how many you would trade for wojo. 

don't agree with the "don't sell us short"...we aren't duke.  that's silly.  the better argument would be to not sell wojo short.  always an outside chance he goes the jay wright, mark few, etc... route...

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2018, 07:19:05 AM »
No need to respond. I was gigging you. 👍

I know...I should've added the hashtag #grabsthespoonandstirsfaster
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.