'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: CBS Sports article on Coach K's replacement: Wojo #1 on list  (Read 16366 times)

The Lens

• All American
Re: CBS Sports article on Coach K's replacement: Wojo #1 on list
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 12:36:52 PM »
A 3rd grader wrote that article.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 12:54:22 PM »
I think most Scoopers have recognized that as a strong possibility since the beginning of the Wojo era. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 12:58:22 PM »
I think most Scoopers have recognized that as a strong possibility since the beginning of the Wojo era.

He might be a hot name in 2 years, hope I am right. 

warriorjoe

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 01:01:13 PM »
After Duke wins Coach K's sixth national title in April, the Duke AD will ask Coach K for a recommendation. He will try not to play favorites with any of his former players and/or assistants. However, I don't see the job going to someone from the Coach K coaching tree, but someone like Brad Stevens of the Celtics.

Go Warriors!

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 01:18:17 PM »
After Duke wins Coach K's sixth national title in April, the Duke AD will ask Coach K for a recommendation. He will try not to play favorites with any of his former players and/or assistants. However, I don't see the job going to someone from the Coach K coaching tree, but someone like Brad Stevens of the Celtics.

Go Warriors!

Those shoes will be awfully big to fill. While the allure of Duke is compelling, following a true legend is extremely challenging. Maybe the correct path is let the successor fail then step in to "save the program".

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 01:32:56 PM »

Go Warriors!

I have no idea why people keep bringing up Brad Stevens. 

a. He has a job.
2. He's been quite successful at that job.
c. He didn't like recruiting while at Butler
4. He has no connections to Duke.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 01:38:42 PM »

a. He has a job.

Brad Stevens is one of the most secure coaches in the NBA. He's not trading that in. The only reason people ever mention him is because he's clean cut and white.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 01:50:18 PM »
Those shoes will be awfully big to fill. While the allure of Duke is compelling, following a true legend is extremely challenging. Maybe the correct path is let the successor fail then step in to "save the program".
Following a legend is hard.  See Hank Raymonds.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 01:51:02 PM »

a. He has a job.

5. He's holding out for the Wisconsin job if for some crazy reason Popovich doesn't take it.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 01:51:38 PM »
Coach K couldn't close the deal with Nico at Duke, what make anyone think Wojo could close deal at Duke.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 03:38:37 PM »
Mike White
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2018, 03:46:14 PM »
5. He's holding out for the Wisconsin job if for some crazy reason Popovich doesn't take it.

This, for sure.

Stevens will not leave the Celtics for a college job. And yes, that was intentionally framed as a factual statement, not an opinion.

(OK, it's really only an opinion, but it's a strong freakin' opinion.)

If Wojo and his Boyz take care of bizness these next two years, and that's also when K hangs it up, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Wojo leave for Duke. I'd rather it not happen, but it would be 100% understandable, and I would wish him well.

If Wojo and his Boyz underperform these next two years, Wojo would be a harder sell at Duke (or anywhere else), and he probably should be on the hot seat at MU.

If Wojo and his Boyz succeed and he wants to stay because he realizes MU is a hell of a place to run a program, that wouldn't stun me, either.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2018, 04:01:32 PM »
Let's say Wojo has a great two years here (Sweet Sixteen or beyond) and then is offered Duke. It comes down to a pretty simple threshold question: does he truly believe he can win multiple national championships at Marquette?

If not --> hegowne.

If so --> a coin flip between staying or going.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2018, 04:06:45 PM »
Let's say Wojo has a great two years here (Sweet Sixteen or beyond) and then is offered Duke. It comes down to a pretty simple threshold question: does he truly believe he can win multiple national championships at Marquette?

If not --> hegowne.

If so --> a coin flip between staying or going.

What if he won a national title in 2020? Do we think winning it all would make it more or less likely he would stay? It would certainly increase the pressure Duke would apply, but would also give him more of a tangible connection to this program.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2018, 04:09:02 PM »
What if he won a national title in 2020? ...
Then he runs for President.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2018, 04:13:14 PM »
Then he runs for President.

I'd vote for him over Lovell.

Oh...not that president. That said, I think on paper, 2020 looks like our best shot at a national title since 2014 (before Vander left & we experienced a collective throwing up on our shoes season).

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2018, 04:15:05 PM »

Go Warriors!

I’d take that bet. K has done less with more the last few years than any coach in America and since Capel$ left the staff his recruiting of top ten talent has also fallen off.

They will go outside the coaching tree because K has far too much power and the administration wants to change that culture. And I agree, no former assistant wants to fill those shoes....

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2018, 04:18:05 PM »
If Wojo is the #1 Duke pick, that's a good thing because it means he earned it by doing great things here. Wojo will have reasons to stay and reasons to go so I'm not gonna sweat it and enjoy the ride that comes with Wojo building his Duke resume by getting to the FF this year and a NC next year  ;D
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2018, 04:24:11 PM »
I think on paper, 2020 looks like our best shot at a national title since 2014 (before Vander left & we experienced a collective throwing up on our shoes season).

Jeez...looking back at what might have been and what I thought coming into the year...

PG: Vander Blue Future NBA player with a solid defender in Derrick Wilson backing him up.
SG: Todd Mayo Proven player ready to break out with top-35 Jajuan Johnson backing him up.
SF: Jamil Wilson 10/5 high-efficiency guy with a decent Juan Anderson backing him up.
PF: Jamaal McKay JUCO All-American with high efficiency Steve Taylor backing him up.
C: Davante Gardner Proven scorer and two-headed center monster with Chris Otule.

The rest of the bench was supposed to be the freshman trio of Deonte Burton, Duane Wilson, and John Dawson. Man I thought we had a shot at cutting down nets. Instead Bucky went to the first of back-to-back Final Fours and we fell headfirst into the crapper.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2018, 04:25:10 PM »
I’d take that bet. K has done less with more the last few years than any coach in America and since Capel$ left the staff his recruiting of top ten talent has also fallen off.

They will go outside the coaching tree because K has far too much power and the administration wants to change that culture. And I agree, no former assistant wants to fill those shoes....
This is Capel's 1st year at Pitt after leaving, how did K's recruiting drop already?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2018, 04:30:08 PM »
Instead Bucky went to the first of back-to-back Final Fours and we fell headfirst into the crapper.

That was the one time Buzz flushed on his own.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2018, 04:34:03 PM »
This is Capel's 1st year at Pitt after leaving, how did K's recruiting drop already?

Their 2018 class was fantastic, but they haven't landed any 2019 commits and are on the outside looking in of guys like James Wiseman, Armando Bacot, Bryan Antoine, and Nico Mannion. They are Duke, so it's too early to say they won't still end up with a top-2 recruiting class, but I can understand why there's some concern around their 2019 recruiting efforts.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2018, 04:34:31 PM »

He lost Nico, didn't he?
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2018, 05:05:46 PM »
Also lost Antoine who everyone said was a lock to duke. Lost Bacot (who grew up a duke fan) to UNC.

Additionally several others that they were considered to be strong leaders for have either failed to commit (after almost two years of having an offer) or have added more official visits to what had once been a short list.

The moderators at The Devils Den (Their fan site) are getting very concerned and are now talking about who K can talk into reclassifying to fill the class.