[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: CBS Sports article on Coach K's replacement: Wojo #1 on list  (Read 16486 times)

Class71

• All American
Re: CBS Sports article on Coach K's replacement: Wojo #1 on list
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2018, 08:36:46 AM »
Gosh we might be getting a little ahead of ourselves

1) First let's see if  Wojo has a few great seasons.

2) let's hear about coach k's retirement.

3) let's remember Duke will want proven success before replacing a great coach.

Can it happen sure but if it does it will be because Marquette has once again become a national power. I can live with that.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2018, 08:37:25 AM »
I think if Wojo has any sense of basketball coaching history, he'll turn it down in a heartbeat.  Historically, coaches following legends just haven't done that well, unless they have their own long and successful coaching history.  Quick, who were the coaches that followed Lute Olson, Dean Smith, Bobby Knight, John Wooden, Adolph Rupp, Al McGuire (ok, most of you know that one)?  Exactly!  Assuming that Duke thinks he has had the experience and success sufficient to take over the "elite" Blue Devils, why would Wojo want to take the job?  Especially if he's building something nice at Marquette.  The pressure to perform will be enormous, the probability of failure will be high - maybe there will be some success in the first year with K's old recruits (Tubby Smith...), if they decide to stay around rather than hitching their star to another elite coach.

Wojo is simply the most convenient answer to this question.  K's long term assistant, blah, blah, blah, Duke pedigree, blah blah blah.  My bet is that when the time comes, Duke will be looking for a proven name to replace K, and that name won't be Wojciechowski. 

ETA:  This is not to say I think Wojo will never coach at Duke.  After his 3rd natty at Marquette, and K's successor craps the bed, he'll accept the Duke job.

See Roy Williams and North Carolina.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2018, 08:40:58 AM »
How many national titles did Mack win at X?

Wright doesn't have to leave Nova to win titles and to make big coin.

Mack had to leave X to have a shot at titles and to make big money.

Not saying Wright wouldn't leave -- none of us know any of this crud -- but what I just said is truth.

Why did Mack have to leave X to have a shot at titles?  There is nothing preventing Xavier from winning a national title.  Building a program takes time and effort like Wright has done at Nova.

Not that I fault him for leaving for Louisville, but he didn't have to leave.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2018, 08:41:16 AM »
Don't you think that we're overreacting just a bit here.  I understand that Crean leaving was pretty out of left field, and Buzz's constant flirting with the entire state of Texas didn't help, but I have yet to see a credible source indicate that Wojo had been targeted for any other job, much less the Duke job.  Anytime anyone writes an article that references the K coaching tree people on here freak out.  There are way too many unknown's at this point to even list, so until some of those unknown's are known, starting a new thread every time someone writes an article that mentions that Wojo is a former Duke player/coach is really pointless. 

TheGym

• Starter
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2018, 08:41:35 AM »
Following a legend is hard.  See Hank Raymonds.

Agreed, Bill Guthridge at UNC is another example.  It will be interesting to see how Duke handles any transition.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2018, 08:56:16 AM »
Hope you are not referrin to last year as a "whiff of success"

No I am not. Last year was a disappointment.

I am referring to the success we are having on the recruiting trail (so far, based on the team's current composition), the expectations and the feeling that we've probably turned the corner from the debris field caused by the Hillbilly's departure.

We shall see. If we regreess, then I don't think he's going anywhere.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2018, 09:36:32 AM »
Agreed, Bill Guthridge at UNC is another example.  It will be interesting to see how Duke handles any transition.

Bill Guthridge did fine and was always positioned as the transition (not the perm coach)....It was Doherty that was the disaster.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2018, 09:40:24 AM »
Bill Guthridge did fine and was always positioned as the transition (not the perm coach)....It was Doherty that was the disaster.

Doherty wasn't good, but he got f*cked by Guthridge's inability on the recruiting trail.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2018, 09:59:14 AM »

Doherty wasn't good, but he got f*cked by Guthridge's inability on the recruiting trail.

Maybe true but his personality and interaction with the donors did not buy him any extra time to turn things around.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2018, 10:30:45 AM »
I could see someone like Jay Wright being offered the job. And don’t tell me he’s already at his destination. People said the same about Chris Mack.

Uninformed people perhaps.

Mack has coveted the Louisville gig for at least the last three years. Open secret within the X administration.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2018, 10:40:28 AM »
This was why I didn't like the hire to begin with. He either performs very well and we maybe see an elite 8 or so if we get a run, and he leaves for Duke, then were stuck in the same position for the third time since 08. Or he is complete crap and is fired within 6 years. I know theres a middle ground of him being competent but not great, but I want titles.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2018, 10:47:11 AM »
I don't think people within Duke's administration would agree with the rankings on this list.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2018, 10:55:24 AM »
This was why I didn't like the hire to begin with. He either performs very well and we maybe see an elite 8 or so if we get a run, and he leaves for Duke, then were stuck in the same position for the third time since 08. Or he is complete crap and is fired within 6 years. I know theres a middle ground of him being competent but not great, but I want titles.

You should never hire an employee because you think he'll stick around a long time.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2018, 11:01:37 AM »
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/evaluating-mike-krzyzewskis-future-at-duke-and-the-top-5-candidates-to-one-day-replace-coach-k/
I think the above was a is a solid research report. It does however, make the assumption that the replacement coach will be someone with Duke ties.  When the time comes Duke will find the best qualified coach for the job and it will be a coach who has gotten his team deep into the tournament many times.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2018, 11:23:03 AM »
I could see someone like Jay Wright being offered the job. And don’t tell me he’s already at his destination. People said the same about Chris Mack.

Nope. Jay has had his opportunities and decided to stay at Nova. He loves it there. He is not going anywhere.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2018, 11:39:07 AM »
Nope. Jay has had his opportunities and decided to stay at Nova. He loves it there. He is not going anywhere.

This he's even rejected the 76ers if I remember correctly
Maigh Eo for Sam

fjm

• All American
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2018, 02:01:08 PM »
Come ooooon gang. Didn’t yall see the quotes from the athletic article? Wojo basically said this is an forever job.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2018, 02:14:55 PM »

so for the hiring committee to take that into account...they need to know when K plans to retire...how soon wojo can turn around a bit of a tough situation...and then know how good wojo has to do at mu in order for duke to consider him.  on top of that they have to be sure that they don't stand a chance at keeping him if duke opens up (imho, they don't), and then they have to deal with the fact that damn near every other coach has ties to a different school...that a coach might leave for...but not have to do as well as wojo would have to do in order to get that offer.  slim pick'ins

ttheisen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2018, 02:17:26 PM »
Thought put into this thread by scoopers > thought put into original article

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2018, 02:22:47 PM »
Catch 22 of being a non destination, non blue blood:a coach's amount of success is directly correlated to the likelihood of him leaving. Some exceptions, not many - coaches are by nature ambitious.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2018, 02:30:27 PM »
Catch 22 of being a non destination, non blue blood:a coach's amount of success is directly correlated to the likelihood of him leaving. Some exceptions, not many - coaches are by nature ambitious.

On the other hand, the grass is not usually always greener. 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2018, 02:33:46 PM »
This could be made into a differential equation
Goal is National Championship

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2018, 02:35:13 PM »

Another aspect to consider is how well the coach is liked by the fans.  I get the feeling that Mark Few could string together 3-4 sup-par year and still have tremendous support from the fanbase.  Jamie Dixon was not treated nearly as well, despite having tremendous success.  Decided he didn't want to deal with it, (his alma mater calling helped), left, and now Pitt is a dumpster fire.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2018, 03:12:58 PM »
Why did Mack have to leave X to have a shot at titles?  There is nothing preventing Xavier from winning a national title.  Building a program takes time and effort like Wright has done at Nova.

Not that I fault him for leaving for Louisville, but he didn't have to leave.

OK, in the spirit of compromise, I'll say "had to leave" could be construed as an exaggeration.

Xavier has never come close to sniffing a title. Zero FFs in school history. But sure, maybe he could have built X the same way Jay built Nova. I allow that was a possibility.

Still, Louisville's track record is a little better, according to sources.

This is pretty silly.

If we hired Shaka, he would have been guaranteed to stay forever and ever and ever?

Howland? Martin? Any "name" coach?

Illinois had two successful coaches willing to stay forever and ever -- Henson and Weber. As soon as things turned bad for each of them, each was banished from Urbana.

That's life in big-time college hoops.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2018, 07:36:19 PM »
On the other hand, the grass is not usually always greener.

If Wojo does win big, I think one of the biggest factors in his decision could be Tom Crean. His comments at the 100th and his career track after leaving has to be something Wojo would consider.

There's no guarantee of equaling your success at a new destination and no guarantee you'll ever get back to this kind of job.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.