collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2018 College Football Thread  (Read 51761 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 2018 College Football Thread
« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2018, 10:37:24 AM »
Northwestern has your back

That would be swell, too.

All of the above would be best of all!!!!!

It sucks that my favorite team is 0-6 so far this season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2018, 07:13:25 PM »
Notre Dame put the hurt on Va Tech in that second half.  They look good.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2018, 02:54:28 PM »
Cardiac Cats are back.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2018, 08:14:14 PM »
Wild day!
-Outstanding game with Oregon beating Washington in OT.
-Sparty wins at Happy Valley.
-Irish with a comeback win vs Pitt.
-LSU smacked Georgia. Easy money as a 7 point home dog.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2018, 09:22:25 PM »
Thinking the badgers could make a playoff with Hornibrook at QB is hilarious.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2018, 09:26:06 PM »

Just hasn’t improved. Really disappointing.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2018, 10:10:59 PM »
Just hasn’t improved. Really disappointing.

I'd have only been disappointed had the Badgers made the playoff.

Now that they're done, maybe the fraud that is ND will get exposed one of these weeks. I mean, now they've barely beaten Ball State and Pitt.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2018, 11:30:31 AM »
Nick Bosa is leaving Ohio State to prepare for the NFL Draft.
And, of course, already is being dragged as a greedy quitter by some of the Buckeye faithful.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2018, 11:45:53 AM »

Maybe its just me, but his throwing motion looks... off.  Its almost like his elbow is pinned to his ribs or something.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2018, 01:10:49 PM »
Nick Bosa is leaving Ohio State to prepare for the NFL Draft.
And, of course, already is being dragged as a greedy quitter by some of the Buckeye faithful.

I don't like it as a fan.

I'd do it if I were him.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2018, 01:24:32 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/nick-bosa-will-withdraw-from-ohio-state-prepare-for-nfl/ar-BBOta1O?li=BBnba9I

The eternal debate.    Smart businessman or quitter?     Since he is dropping out of school to do this, is he abusing his scholarship?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2018, 03:46:30 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/nick-bosa-will-withdraw-from-ohio-state-prepare-for-nfl/ar-BBOta1O?li=BBnba9I

The eternal debate.    Smart businessman or quitter?     Since he is dropping out of school to do this, is he abusing his scholarship?

Smart businessman, 100%.  He wasn't going to be back in time to contribute this season, he's going to likely be a top 5 pick if he recovers from this injury properly, his efforts are best focused on recovery and preparation for the next stage in his life.  The same people getting pissed at him would have no issue with him withdrawing from school in mid-Jan after the season like most players with a high likelihood of getting drafted.

As for abusing his scholarship, hell no.  If he was staying on without ever intending to play for OSU again or work towards his degree, it would be more of an abuse than this.

These are the same fans who vigorously supported Urban Meyer, and to a lesser extent Zach Smith, yet they are gonna get up in arms about something like this.  Pathetic.

GGGG

• All American

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2018, 01:38:22 PM »
https://www.barstoolsports.com/barstoolu/is-notre-dame-finally-going-to-get-us-an-8-team-playoff

I think it'll eventually happen because $$$, but with a conference championship game, plus potentially 3 playoff games, it would essentially end non-conference play.  You probably end up with more good games, but you would get no Washington v Auburn, Texas v USC, Miami v LSU, BYU v UW-Madison.  As someone who only occasionally watches games, and only high profile ones at that, the Ohio State v Oklahoma game last year was the best one I've seen in a while.  Not saying that no non-conference would be a good or bad thing, but it would essentially be over.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2018, 01:51:56 PM »
I think it'll eventually happen because $$$, but with a conference championship game, plus potentially 3 playoff games, it would essentially end non-conference play.  You probably end up with more good games, but you would get no Washington v Auburn, Texas v USC, Miami v LSU, BYU v UW-Madison.  As someone who only occasionally watches games, and only high profile ones at that, the Ohio State v Oklahoma game last year was the best one I've seen in a while.  Not saying that no non-conference would be a good or bad thing, but it would essentially be over.

I'm not sure it would be that significant.
It basically means one extra game for four teams, out of 130 FBS programs (or about 3 percent).
I can't imagine 130 teams surrendering their non-conference schedules because four of them might face an additional game in mid-January.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2018, 01:59:43 PM »
I'm not sure it would be that significant.
It basically means one extra game for four teams, out of 130 FBS programs (or about 3 percent).
I can't imagine 130 teams surrendering their non-conference schedules because four of them might face an additional game in mid-January.

I should have been clearer, it would end non-conference for title contenders.  You would still get the likes of Savannah St v UAB, or Georgia St v Kennesaw St, but the high profile match-ups, that draw viewers, would end.  Any P5 team that has legit aspirations of wining their conference would not schedule a non-conference opponent.  And once again, I'm not saying that it's good or bad, but I think it would happen.

Edit:
It's also worth noting that teams only scheduled the high profile match-ups in hopes of getting a quality win, in case they drop a game or two in conference play.  In 2016, Ohio St didn't even win the B14 East, but because they had a quality win blowing Oklahoma out, they still made the playoffs.  If it's easier to make the playoffs, you won't need those high profile games in September.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 02:10:55 PM by Its DJOver »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2018, 02:12:53 PM »
I should have been clearer, It would end non-conference for title contenders.  You would still get the likes of Savannah St v UAB, or Georgia St v Kennesaw St, but the high profile match-ups, that draw viewers, would end.  Any P5 team that has legit aspirations of wining their conference would not schedule a non-conference opponent.  And once again, I'm not sating that it's good or bad, but I think it would happen.

Some of these non-conference games are set many years in advance (e.g. Notre Dame and Alabama just announced a home-and-home for 2028 and 2029, Pitt and Wisconsin recently announced a home-and-home for 2026 and 2027).
Unless you're Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State and you can guarantee no coaching change over the next decade, how can anyone know they're a title contender that far in advance?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2018, 02:24:05 PM »
Some of these non-conference games are set many years in advance (e.g. Notre Dame and Alabama just announced a home-and-home for 2028 and 2029, Pitt and Wisconsin recently announced a home-and-home for 2026 and 2027).
Unless you're Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State and you can guarantee no coaching change over the next decade, how can anyone know they're a title contender that far in advance?

Couple things.  I think it'll happen eventually, but not for quite a while.  The current deal runs through 2026, and nothing will happen before then. 

It doesn't mater if you're actually a contender, what matters is that you think that you'll be a contender.  Michigan always has the mindset that they should be contending for a championship even if they haven't been for a while.  Unless the pool of top quality running backs and poor quarterbacks dries up, Wisconsin will start every season with the mindset that the B14 West is terrible, so if they win that and get Ohio St on a bad day, they'll be going to the playoffs.  Both programs have had these mindsets for a while now, and don't show any sign of changing them soon.  Even programs that are currently terrible, but have a strong history wouldn't schedule a non-con opponent, Nebraska for example.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #94 on: October 27, 2018, 01:56:49 PM »
Go Cats, aina?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2018, 09:23:14 AM »
Ass kickin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2018, 10:53:59 AM »
This just in.  The much ballyhooed Badgers blow.  They'll end up playing in the 'who gives a d@mn bowl' in Little Rock Arkansas.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2018, 10:59:25 AM »
This just in.  The much ballyhooed Badgers blow.  They'll end up playing in the 'who gives a d@mn bowl' in Little Rock Arkansas.

Which will draw better ratings than any Marquette regular season game this year.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2018, 12:59:03 PM »
Which will draw better ratings than any Marquette regular season game this year.

So? Really, Sultan, what does that have to do with anything?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2018, 01:02:41 PM »

Hang a banner.

feedback