[Today at 02:05:43 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MU82
[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2018 College Football Thread  (Read 51719 times)

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
Re: 2018 College Football Thread
« Reply #375 on: January 08, 2019, 03:46:54 PM »
In my world they say this is already a done deal.  Sabian retires, Dabo comes back home to his alma mater.  Depending on who you believe in the industry they say this has essentially been agreed to a few years ago from a gentlemen’s perspective and Clemson knows it.

Guess we will see.  Can’t believe Saban wants to do this too many more years. Especially the recruiting part.
Paul Finebaum thinks since Dabo won his 2nd title, he will be a lifelong guy at Clemson. Hard to disagree.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #376 on: January 09, 2019, 10:12:55 PM »
Is Jalen Hurts transfer worth following?

What about Justin Fields?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #377 on: January 09, 2019, 11:54:07 PM »
Paul Finebaum thinks since Dabo won his 2nd title, he will be a lifelong guy at Clemson. Hard to disagree.

We'll see, but in the end I believe he ends up going to Bama.   If would be one thing if he hadn't won any and so difficult to follow a legend, but that hurdle has been knocked over.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #378 on: January 10, 2019, 12:25:09 PM »
Is Jalen Hurts transfer worth following?

What about Justin Fields?
yes & yes
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #379 on: January 16, 2019, 03:31:40 PM »
In another classic case of NCAA hypocrisy, Oklahoma is bringing in a transfer (Jalen Hurts) to be its QB next year, but blocking the guy whose presumptive job Hurts is taking (Auston Kendall) from being eligible at the school of his choosing next year.
There's zero reason for Oklahoma to do this other than wanting to f--- with the kid.

https://deadspin.com/oklahoma-is-happy-to-accept-transfers-but-unwilling-to-1831814269

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #380 on: January 16, 2019, 07:06:17 PM »
In another classic case of NCAA hypocrisy, Oklahoma is bringing in a transfer (Jalen Hurts) to be its QB next year, but blocking the guy whose presumptive job Hurts is taking (Auston Kendall) from being eligible at the school of his choosing next year.
There's zero reason for Oklahoma to do this other than wanting to f--- with the kid.

https://deadspin.com/oklahoma-is-happy-to-accept-transfers-but-unwilling-to-1831814269

Kendall is eligible immediately to play at WVU, OU is not blocking his transfer.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #381 on: January 16, 2019, 07:15:19 PM »
Kendall is eligible immediately to play at WVU, OU is not blocking his transfer.

It shouldn't have taken a public shaming for Oklahoma to reverse their decision and do the right thing.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #382 on: January 16, 2019, 08:03:04 PM »
It shouldn't have taken a public shaming for Oklahoma to reverse their decision and do the right thing.

Maybe right, but the way you and others framed it as hypocritical was not correct.  They followed the rules.  This was an inter conference transfer which is different than an out of conference, that’s why the exception exists.  If they were the same thing, the rules wouldn’t be the same.

They definitely buckled due to the response, but them taking Hurts from another conference is much different than their guy going to a school within their conference.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #383 on: January 17, 2019, 07:18:21 AM »

Correct.

Athletes should be totally free to transfer anywhere they like whenever they want ... just as coaches are. And I don't want to hear about the sham buyout clauses in coaches' contracts; not a single coach in the last 10 years has paid that himself.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #384 on: January 17, 2019, 08:38:47 AM »
Maybe right, but the way you and others framed it as hypocritical was not correct.  They followed the rules.  This was an inter conference transfer which is different than an out of conference, that’s why the exception exists.  If they were the same thing, the rules wouldn’t be the same.

They definitely buckled due to the response, but them taking Hurts from another conference is much different than their guy going to a school within their conference.

It really isn't that different. Its just another barrier that schools put up.

And Oklahoma is being hypocritical because of how they got Mayfield immediately eligible after he transferred from Texas Tech.  (ie, same conference)

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #385 on: January 17, 2019, 09:27:43 AM »

1. If "just following the rules" is Oklahoma's justification, then it's hypocritical. Two years ago, Oklahoma - after much lobbying and politicking - obtained a waiver of the rule to get Baker Mayfield an additional year of eligibility (during which he led the Sooners to the playoff and won the Heisman). Apparently then, the rule wasn't important to uphold. But with Austin Kendall, it was (until they were publicly shamed into doing the right thing).

2. Beyond that, the rule itself is hypocritical. There's no such rule for coaches, administrators, band members, faculty, students on academic scholarships, etc. Just athletes. Why?

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #386 on: January 17, 2019, 11:21:42 AM »

It really isn't that different. Its just another barrier that schools put up.

And Oklahoma is being hypocritical because of how they got Mayfield immediately eligible after he transferred from Texas Tech.  (ie, same conference)

I understand the rule in theory since the departing QB may know some things that will be helpful when they play each other.  But he would still know that stuff if he had to sit out.  At any rate, in the end I agree that Oklahoma should have just let him go from the start, particularly given the situation.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.