[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU #89 in US News rankings for 2019.  (Read 3759 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
MU #89 in US News rankings for 2019.
« on: September 10, 2018, 11:54:19 AM »
https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/marquette-university-3863

#49 in Best Value

USNWR is also removing acceptance rate and adding a ranking for low income/first time college students.  Our Northeastern friends can relax about MU's acceptance rate now.

EDIT:  USNWR's website looks like MSN or Yahoo.  So much extra crap on the screen.  Very annoying.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
Re: MU #89 in US News rankings for 2019.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 12:10:00 PM »
Tied with Howard, Indiana, Iowa, Delaware, Loyola Chicago, and...SUNY Buffalo.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 03:02:13 PM »
Loyola Chi was around 150 when I was at MU and has jumped to match us in 6yrs. Meanwhile we've gone down 12-15 spots. Is this because they got rid of the acceptance rate category or are we just slowly declining or what?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 04:35:51 PM »
Loyola Chi was around 150 when I was at MU and has jumped to match us in 6yrs. Meanwhile we've gone down 12-15 spots. Is this because they got rid of the acceptance rate category or are we just slowly declining or what?

The acceptance rate definitely wasn't helping us. 

I don't get the whole "best value" category. Is spending $60K really getting "value?"
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 04:46:33 PM »
https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/marquette-university-3863

#49 in Best Value

USNWR is also removing acceptance rate and adding a ranking for low income/first time college students.  Our Northeastern friends can relax about MU's acceptance rate now.

EDIT:  USNWR's website looks like MSN or Yahoo.  So much extra crap on the screen.  Very annoying.

That's cause more and more schools have been ignoring it...as well as their customers.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 05:12:19 PM »
We've always floated around this. I think when I started at MU in the early 2000s we were in the 90s. We did move up for a bit, but I think at our highest we were in the 70s.

I don't think MU has declined. These rankings just bounce around. It is the nature of things. Next year we could be back in the high 70s. They really don't mean that much.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 05:45:03 PM »
Glad to see that USNWR is finally coming around to our way of thinking regarding acceptance rate and first gen college students.
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 06:36:08 PM »
#rankin'smatta, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 09:57:18 PM »
The acceptance rate definitely wasn't helping us. 

I don't get the whole "best value" category. Is spending $60K really getting "value?"

Have you seen what other schools cost?  Besides, not many are paying $60k.  We are paying in the $30’s for MU this year with her MU scholarship / award.

One of the schools she was accepted to would put us at over $70k. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 10:00:59 PM »

Sometimes yes.  You do get what you pay for.  Long term outcomes (income/success wise) are far higher at many of these more expensive schools.  There are numerous reasons why that is the case.

Some are quite overpriced.  Some are relative bargains.  The education you get at MU is similar to many schools costing $20k more.  That is a value.

A university I'm aware of has kept statistics on transfers from state schools/community colleges.  Only 10% of students from those schools can achieve a C- or better in courses where they took the pre-req elsewhere.  The reason, many of those schools are only interested in passing students along instead of teaching them how to think. 

The same school as med-school acceptance rates in the 30% points above national averages for a reason.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 10:03:18 PM by forgetful »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 01:43:52 AM »
1. I am delighted MU moved from 90 to 89.
2. The WSJ rankings showed progress as well so build on that momentum and get this one back in the 70s.
3. While US News eliminated the acceptance rate, they added the bogus pell grant graduation rate , which is just a race to the bottom in terms of dumbing down curriculum. Again the schools with the better reputation can get the good pell grant kids. 

4. I still think the best strategy for MU is up the admission standard which still counts for quite a bit on US News. Then if MU is hell bent for leather on diversity, come up with a niche strategy where you can get the best and brightest . Go somewhere  off the beaten path that MU has some ties like Puerto Rico, then find the wealthy peoples kids there and have Lovell romance the parents,  or go for some poor Christian nation that values science education ,like say an Armenia , and sign up a few of those kids who may be interested in the health sciences area. The competitive problem MU has is all the good diversity kids are picked up by the higher rated schools where they can ostensibly go for free. MU should not try to be Chicago State -Milwaukee campus that is just a lousy strategy and will backfire medium and long term.
5. MU is a bona  fide National University and needs to act like one in terms of marketing and position. Heck , I was just at a fancy private club in Chicago recently and in the weight room, they had pennants from about 25 universities on the Wall and MU was right up their with some Ivy, Big Ten and ACC schools. That to me is a bona fide endorsement of MU's place in the pecking order when all the corporate and legal titans are working out and see MU right up there with Princeton and Yale its a good thing.
6. Finally,MU needs to come up with a way to put more of its students in Engineering and Health Sciences/Nursing Those kids make good money  and get quality jobs right away. That will skew the earnings profile of graduates up which will also help the rankings and reputation. Then force the fluff majors like communications to have some kind of minor like Spanish or some other foreign language as a requirement of getting the major, that will make those kids much more marketable.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 07:44:11 AM »
2. The WSJ rankings showed progress as well so build on that momentum and get this one back in the 70s.
3. While US News eliminated the acceptance rate, they added the bogus pell grant graduation rate , which is just a race to the bottom in terms of dumbing down curriculum. Again the schools with the better reputation can get the good pell grant kids. 

4. I still think the best strategy for MU is up the admission standard which still counts for quite a bit on US News. Then if MU is hell bent for leather on diversity, come up with a niche strategy where you can get the best and brightest . Go somewhere  off the beaten path that MU has some ties like Puerto Rico, then find the wealthy peoples kids there and have Lovell romance the parents,  or go for some poor Christian nation that values science education ,like say an Armenia , and sign up a few of those kids who may be interested in the health sciences area. The competitive problem MU has is all the good diversity kids are picked up by the higher rated schools where they can ostensibly go for free. MU should not try to be Chicago State -Milwaukee campus that is just a lousy strategy and will backfire medium and long term.
5. MU is a bona  fide National University and needs to act like one in terms of marketing and position. Heck , I was just at a fancy private club in Chicago recently and in the weight room, they had pennants from about 25 universities on the Wall and MU was right up their with some Ivy, Big Ten and ACC schools. That to me is a bona fide endorsement of MU's place in the pecking order when all the corporate and legal titans are working out and see MU right up there with Princeton and Yale its a good thing.
6. Finally,MU needs to come up with a way to put more of its students in Engineering and Health Sciences/Nursing Those kids make good money  and get quality jobs right away. That will skew the earnings profile of graduates up which will also help the rankings and reputation. Then force the fluff majors like communications to have some kind of minor like Spanish or some other foreign language as a requirement of getting the major, that will make those kids much more marketable.

After I graduated MU I joined a community theater group in Princeton. Many of the members were Princeton students. Some of the students would study during rehearsals and they used many of the same text books I used when at MU. It was then I realized my MU education was not that different from Princeton.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2018, 08:09:43 AM »

Wow.  I don't even know where to start with this, so maybe I will go straight to the summary.

If you hadn't  before, you have definitely outed yourself as a racist, classist troll who doesn't know what he is talking about.  And since it's been all but established that you did not even attend Marquette, perhaps you should MYOFB and save your sage advice for your own alma matter (if you have one).
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2018, 10:06:36 AM »
Why does recruiting a diverse group of students mean we are not getting the best and brightest?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2018, 10:39:34 AM »
Why does recruiting a diverse group of students mean we are not getting the best and brightest?

Not expecting a coherent answer to this

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2018, 11:28:34 AM »

I don't know-maybe ask Tucker?   ::)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2018, 11:52:28 AM »

I've had the opportunity to go some of the various Ivy clubhouses in Manhattan (Harvard Club, Yale Club, etc.).  Many of those clubs offer membership to "associate schools." Georgetown, BC, Fordham, U Chicago, Northwestern, Emory, ND, Tulane, William and Mary, etc. are among those associate clubs. MU is not, even with a strong NYC presence.   A pennant hanging in a weight room does not indicate that MU is in the pecking order of elite schools, but non-inclusion with these clubs indicates we are not.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2018, 12:32:48 PM »
I've had the opportunity to go some of the various Ivy clubhouses in Manhattan (Harvard Club, Yale Club, etc.).  Many of those clubs offer membership to "associate schools." Georgetown, BC, Fordham, U Chicago, Northwestern, Emory, ND, Tulane, William and Mary, etc. are among those associate clubs. MU is not, even with a strong NYC presence.   A pennant hanging in a weight room does not indicate that MU is in the pecking order of elite schools, but non-inclusion with these clubs indicates we are not.

Who cares....

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2018, 12:46:42 PM »

Is Wisconsin allowed in or did they cool on their interest to those clubs?
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2018, 01:25:00 PM »

USNWR report is including that next year in the calculations:  "Percentage of snobby clubs that hang your pennant" .  It will count for 15% of the composite score.
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2018, 01:39:38 PM »
Honestly, the idea that it is some sort of black mark that MU isn't an "associate member" of some Ivy league club in Manhattan is just hilarious.

Do people have no idea where Marquette draws from?  And the types of students it draws?  Were they that oblivious when then were in school?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2018, 02:03:27 PM »

Not mutually exclusive.  If you recruit the best and brightest, you will get some diversity.  If you recruit for diversity, you will get some of the best and brightest.  Quantifying "some" depends on a) how you define "best and brightest" and b) the respective proportions of diversity and the "best and brightest" in each other's population.

The only way you get both in either scenario is to adjust the definitions of "best and brightest" and "diversity" that solves for proportion... that is, if that's what you're going for.  Diversity is typically presumed to mean "equal representation;" however, whether such equal is absolute or relative to the overall population.  For example, if your overall population contains 40% of W people, 30% of X people, 20% of Y people and 10% of Z people, and you recruit 20 people with diversity being the goal, is that goal achieved if you recruit 8 W's, 6 X's, 4 Y's and 2 Z's (relative)?  Or is diversity achieved by 5 of each (absolute)?

Not expecting a coherent answer to this

Coherency struggles to exist without consistency.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

feedback