[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NCAA recent investigations  (Read 121351 times)

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: NCAA recent investigations
« Reply #250 on: October 25, 2018, 11:24:05 PM »
Actually, students fall under the same conflict of interest agreements the moment they agree to be a student (has nothing to do with scholarship).  Any intellectual property they construct using university resources belongs to the University, and when using university resources they cannot partake in any activities without approval of the general counsel if it may represent a conflict of interest. 

It is just that the majority of students do not partake in any activities that could possibly represent a conflict of interest so it doesn't matter. 

Where it usually happens is companies (say Pepsi or red bull) that is willing to sponsor a student organized event, or a student trip, etc.  If the University has an exclusive rights agreement, the student or organization cannot accept any of the money, gear, etc.

Even if the University has say an exclusive rights agreement with Coke, the student organization cannot accept free gear, money, or product, because it represents a conflict of interest, rather they have to go through previously approved channels to acquire product.
Stop letting the facts get in the way of a good argument.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #251 on: October 25, 2018, 11:32:24 PM »
Making billions of dollars on the backs of an unpaid/underpaid labor force?

A college education is worth millions over one's life.  The scholarship itself is worth hundreds of thousands.  Don't like it, go play in the G League or go overseas.  And when you say making billions, I hope you don't mean profit.  None of the women's sports make money in aggregate and most of the men's sports don't either. Yet all those sports exist and it costs money to have them, that money comes from those other revenue streams.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #253 on: October 26, 2018, 07:46:16 AM »
Actually, students fall under the same conflict of interest agreements the moment they agree to be a student (has nothing to do with scholarship).  Any intellectual property they construct using university resources belongs to the University, and when using university resources they cannot partake in any activities without approval of the general counsel if it may represent a conflict of interest. 

It is just that the majority of students do not partake in any activities that could possibly represent a conflict of interest so it doesn't matter. 

Where it usually happens is companies (say Pepsi or red bull) that is willing to sponsor a student organized event, or a student trip, etc.  If the University has an exclusive rights agreement, the student or organization cannot accept any of the money, gear, etc.

Even if the University has say an exclusive rights agreement with Coke, the student organization cannot accept free gear, money, or product, because it represents a conflict of interest, rather they have to go through previously approved channels to acquire product.

OK, so in other words, it would be completely feasible for student athletes just like it is for any other student.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #255 on: October 26, 2018, 08:22:11 AM »
A college education is worth millions over one's life.  The scholarship itself is worth hundreds of thousands.  Don't like it, go play in the G League or go overseas.  And when you say making billions, I hope you don't mean profit.  None of the women's sports make money in aggregate and most of the men's sports don't either. Yet all those sports exist and it costs money to have them, that money comes from those other revenue streams.

No.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Goal is National Championship

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #257 on: October 26, 2018, 09:52:57 AM »

OK, so in other words, it would be completely feasible for student athletes just like it is for any other student.

If by completely feasible, you mean they wouldn't be able to accept anything from any entity that had a financial agreement with the University, or that operated in a market with an entity that had an exclusive rights agreement with the university (as I wrote in my opening statement), then yes, totally feasible. 

And as I said originally, that pretty much blocks out all the types of entities that would typically want to sponsor an athlete.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #258 on: October 26, 2018, 10:03:54 AM »

Don't bother barking up that tree... the squirrels haven't been home for years.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #259 on: October 26, 2018, 10:30:54 AM »
If by completely feasible, you mean they wouldn't be able to accept anything from any entity that had a financial agreement with the University, or that operated in a market with an entity that had an exclusive rights agreement with the university (as I wrote in my opening statement), then yes, totally feasible. 

And as I said originally, that pretty much blocks out all the types of entities that would typically want to sponsor an athlete.

First of all, no exclusive rights deal are as stringent as you are stating.  I've seen them and approved them and worked within their boundaries.  They have exceptions written into them all over the place with certain approvals. 

Second, you are ignoring all sorts of other avenues for income.  Like working at a business owned by a booster.  Like simply receiving a check for $10,000 from a booster because he just wants to give him one.  (As long as the income is properly declared, etc.) 

Your thinking is too limited.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #261 on: October 28, 2018, 10:24:32 PM »
A college education is worth millions over one's life.  The scholarship itself is worth hundreds of thousands. Don't like it, go play in the G League or go overseas.  And when you say making billions, I hope you don't mean profit.  None of the women's sports make money in aggregate and most of the men's sports don't either. Yet all those sports exist and it costs money to have them, that money comes from those other revenue streams.

Hmmm.... that bolded line sounds awfully familiar...

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=47152.msg719045#msg719045

They aren't treated unfairly.  They are given a $200K education...a person with a college education on average makes almost $1M more than someone without.  So now we're up to $1.2M

Osiris

• Starter
« Reply #262 on: October 29, 2018, 08:38:02 AM »
https://es.pn/2SqvPTa

I’m still skeptical that this leads to any decommitment from a certain player. 

Hate that that the BE is now being bandied about in this mess.
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. Winston Churchill

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #263 on: October 29, 2018, 09:12:02 AM »
https://es.pn/2SqvPTa

I’m still skeptical that this leads to any decommitment from a certain player. 

Hate that that the BE is now being bandied about in this mess.

Smh, Creighton.  When the C7 asked the expansion schools to make a financial commitment to hoops, they meant downstrokes of millions of dollars, not a couple hundred large at a time.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #264 on: October 29, 2018, 09:45:02 AM »
Hmmm.... that bolded line sounds awfully familiar...

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=47152.msg719045#msg719045

Just a coincidence that every WarriorDad position today was a chicos position over the years.

Anyhoo ... what's a chicos?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #265 on: October 29, 2018, 09:53:14 AM »
So are the Mannions going to reconsider their options or...?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #266 on: October 29, 2018, 12:15:32 PM »
Just a coincidence that every WarriorDad position today was a chicos position over the years.

Anyhoo ... what's a chicos?

Haha it's just so very odd isn't it??

But WarriorDad is a huge Cubs fan so it simply can't be the same person.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #267 on: November 01, 2018, 07:20:13 PM »
https://es.pn/2SGPbUj

So can Nico reopen his commitment already or...?

I know nothing will happen to Muller or AZ. Heck they’re continuing to sign 5 star prospects and sticking their middle finger up to the NCAA. But if I’m a projected one and done player and think it’s a good chance I only spend one year in college I want to know for certain I’m going to have a chance to play in an NCAA Tournament for the guy that recruited me.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #268 on: November 06, 2018, 10:46:11 PM »
Bill Self is the poster child of the NCAA's double standard
https://sports.yahoo.com/bill-self-poster-child-ncaa-absurdity-230011367.html
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #269 on: November 07, 2018, 11:51:02 AM »
https://sports.yahoo.com/feds-give-ncaa-go-ahead-begin-investigating-certain-schools-tied-college-hoops-scandal-030502043.html
Feds give NCAA go-ahead to begin investigating schools tied to college hoops scandal

Thought they were going to have to wait until after the trials in April. Maybe we'll get Zona sanctioned in time for Nico after all.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #271 on: November 09, 2018, 09:47:30 AM »
Ashton Hagans was the only name I recall us recruiting for about 5 minutes after his decommit.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #272 on: November 09, 2018, 02:56:11 PM »
And while the blueblood bad behavior gets discussed ad nauseum in the news, BYU is quietly sanctioned:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/byu-basketball-hit-with-ncaa-sanctions/ar-BBPwIV2?li=BBnba9I
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #273 on: November 09, 2018, 10:16:38 PM »
And while the blueblood bad behavior gets discussed ad nauseum in the news, BYU is quietly sanctioned:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/byu-basketball-hit-with-ncaa-sanctions/ar-BBPwIV2?li=BBnba9I

That sucks.  Must have been some pretty bad stuff that UCLA did for the NCAA to go all the way to Provo to swing the hammer.