[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by MU82
[Today at 01:55:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Dodds on Chartouny  (Read 16584 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Dodds on Chartouny
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2018, 09:44:04 PM »
Plus, Chartouny will join Matt as one of two seniors on the roster. Along with juniors Ed, Sacar, Sam and Markus, Marquette will have plenty of experience and leadership to count on this season.

Together, these six players have appeared in 409 career games and logged a total of 9,882 minutes. That's an average of 68 career games played and 24.1 mpg. Such deep experience at virtually every position can be a real difference maker in college basketball.

Nice, M92, you musta been captain of your Mathlete team!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2018, 11:37:14 PM »
Nice, M92, you musta been captain of your Mathlete team!

Game appearances and minutes played don't equal talent. But they do count (I know, a really bad pun), especially with upperclassmen. There's no substitute for court time.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2018, 11:41:39 PM »
Of course he could of been a very good player surrounded by bad players. I am likely to be happier with Chartouny than a lot of poster here, because I have lower expectations.

Chartouny put up better numbers on a better Fordham team as a sophomore. None of the other four starters from his sophomore year were there last year. One graduated, two grad transferred up (one to UConn, one to Boise State), and the fourth had a season-ending injury before Thanksgiving.

I think modest expectations are always a good idea, but I do think the "very good player surrounded by bad players" is an apt description for Chartouny last year.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2018, 12:09:58 AM »
Others have mentioned this, but I'm also encouraged by Katin's performance as a graduate transfer at Marquette.

Brett Nelson and the rest of the coaches deserve a lot of credit for helping Katin post career bests in ORtg, OR%, TORate and FTRate during his senior season. From the Wisconsin game on, he shot 47-113 (41.6%) from three-point range, well above his career average.

I wouldn't be surprised to see similar improvements in Chartouny's offensive game.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2018, 09:52:10 AM »
Plus, Chartouny will join Matt as one of two seniors on the roster. Along with juniors Ed, Sacar, Sam and Markus, Marquette will have plenty of experience and leadership to count on this season.

Together, these six players have appeared in 409 career games and logged a total of 9,882 minutes. That's an average of 68 career games played and 24.1 mpg. Such deep experience at virtually every position can be a real difference maker in college basketball.

Plus add to that three top guys off the bench that played very significant roles as Frosh last year who will all be expected to make big jumps as Sophs this year.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2018, 12:17:59 PM »
3 things:

1. Herman Cain, good thought on Paschal also being from Fordham. Neither were transcendent players (defined their team) but very good on their own.

2. As all the comments really imply...Chartouny gets to focus on what he does best...steal and dish.  Our team is loaded with scoring talent...He gets to do his best stuff all the time.

3. When can we stop calling him by his last name. Matt, Ed, Sacar, Sam, Markus....why not "Joe"?.... I know what you're thinking but we'll be calling him "Joey"

note: "JC" might also work but I avoid reserve that for someone else :)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2018, 12:22:11 PM »

Junior Cadougan?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2018, 12:43:42 PM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2018, 12:44:34 PM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2018, 12:52:31 PM »
Jose Cuervo?

Jose Canseco?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2018, 01:12:37 PM »
John Coffey?

Jiminy Cricket?

Jordan Collier?

John Connor?

Jesse Custer?

Joe Christmas?

Jim Casey?

John Carpenter?

John Carter?

John Constantine?

Jim Conklin?

That's all the famous Jesus allegories I could come up with the initial's JC
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2018, 01:24:40 PM »
For starters he will have to get used to bigger crowds.  There are fewer people in the stands at those home games than at my nephews grade school games.

LeJon James, is that you?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2018, 02:53:28 PM »
So, we are assuming the Wino begins the year as the starting PG.  With Markus going to Chris Paul PG camp and you cats telling us to temper our enthusiasm based on the assimilation rates of past transfers, does Joe begin the season coming off the bench?  If so, is Greg the starter?

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2018, 03:55:33 PM »
So, we are assuming the Wino begins the year as the starting PG.  With Markus going to Chris Paul PG camp and you cats telling us to temper our enthusiasm based on the assimilation rates of past transfers, does Joe begin the season coming off the bench?  If so, is Greg the starter?

I see Joe being the starter from the beginning of the season.  It's obvious what the team's been missing the last few season, and Wojo won't be timid about using the answer right away.

Joe seem to have a high BB IQ (from what I read).  He is a senior with the experience of playing as the marked man and accepting that pressure.  I think Wojo feels the Big East stage will not be anything that Joe can not handle.  Anyways I hope Joe has a few SOTG awards this coming season.

" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2018, 04:00:36 PM »
The Wino is just a terrible nickname.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2018, 04:49:38 PM »

Personally, I think Joe starts but could be wrong. I personally see a starting lineup of:

PG1: Joe
PG2: M2N
SF: Sammy
PF: Ed
C: Heldt

With Joey as the first man off the bench getting more minutes than Heldt. Minutes are going to be tricky this season. Greg, Sacar, and Cain are really going to have to battle to earn time.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2018, 04:59:15 PM »
Wojo wants all of his guards to be able to initiate the offense as a point guard.
Marcus is going to start and at times will be the point. Who starts at the other two guard spots is the question. Anim is the best defender, but I believe he will have to fight to keep his starting job. He has a lot of competition for the small forward/guard spot. Elliot, Cain Sam, Bailey or Joey could all end up at the three. Depending on who starts we may not have that much offense. Matt, Anim and Chartouny would leave us with only two shooters in the lineup. Morrow may be the best rebounder, but I do not know how much offense he actually brings to the table. Cain can shoot and he has the speed to guard at the three. How good of a defensive player he is remains to be seen. I think we need three shooters in the starting lineup. Sam is a great shooter, but he is not an aggressive player on offense. We need a third shooter to get Sam open.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2018, 05:20:52 PM »
I think it is too early to really tell what the distribution of minutes is.

We have 4 guys who are athletic, competitive and tough and exemplify what Big East basketball is traditionally all about those being Theo, Jamal, Elliott and Sacar.

We have two guys who are nationally elite shooters in Markus and Sam.

We have two solid inside guys in Heldt and Morrow, both of who have the experience and size to compete in the Big East

We have a grad newcomer who has a solid overall skill set and is a plus defender in Chartouny.

We have two super skilled freshman with size in Joey and B Bailey.

We have an athletic specimen coming off surgery in Ike.

My guess at this point is the rotation goes 9 or 10 deep with minutes distributed somewhat similar to the way they were in 2016-17, where extended  minutes where given to those who were doing well in each game. The best players in practice will be the starters.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2018, 05:47:20 PM »
The Wino is just a terrible nickname.

The Sommelier it is then.  Serving up the finest in Saone-et-Loire varietals.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2018, 06:26:41 PM »
So, we are assuming the Wino begins the year as the starting PG.
The Wino?  What does that even mea....ohhhhh.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2018, 06:32:55 PM »
Dude's gonna converse wit ghosts, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2018, 08:08:55 PM »
Wojo wants all of his guards to be able to initiate the offense as a point guard.
Marcus is going to start and at times will be the point. Who starts at the other two guard spots is the question. Anim is the best defender, but I believe he will have to fight to keep his starting job. He has a lot of competition for the small forward/guard spot. Elliot, Cain Sam, Bailey or Joey could all end up at the three. Depending on who starts we may not have that much offense. Matt, Anim and Chartouny would leave us with only two shooters in the lineup. Morrow may be the best rebounder, but I do not know how much offense he actually brings to the table. Cain can shoot and he has the speed to guard at the three. How good of a defensive player he is remains to be seen. I think we need three shooters in the starting lineup. Sam is a great shooter, but he is not an aggressive player on offense. We need a third shooter to get Sam open.

Joe is the best defender not Sacar.

I wouldn't worry about the shooters......we have plenty of options.

JC pg
MH guard
Sam
Ed or Joey
Ed or Matt

That's how I see it (depending on the opponent) to start the season.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2018, 08:10:04 PM »
Dude's gonna converse wit ghosts, hey?
I think we already had some one on the team that staked out that position.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2018, 09:28:49 PM »
3 things:

1. Herman Cain, good thought on Paschal also being from Fordham. Neither were transcendent players (defined their team) but very good on their own.

2. As all the comments really imply...Chartouny gets to focus on what he does best...steal and dish.  Our team is loaded with scoring talent...He gets to do his best stuff all the time.

3. When can we stop calling him by his last name. Matt, Ed, Sacar, Sam, Markus....why not "Joe"?.... I know what you're thinking but we'll be calling him "Joey"

I already have settled on JC Superstar, or JCS for short.

Others can call him whatever they want.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2018, 10:33:04 PM »

I should probably then brace myself for the "JC isn't as good as I thought he was" - type posts when he has a couple off games to start the year.

Right. That's exactly what people posted about Harry Froling after a couple of games and look how well that turned out. 

feedback