[Today at 12:09:51 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 08:56:20 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dodds on Chartouny  (Read 16747 times)

tower912

• All American
Dodds on Chartouny
« on: August 12, 2018, 08:08:33 PM »
https://247sports.com/college/marquette/Article/PG-Joe-Chartouny-transferred-from-Fordham-to-Marquette-for-2018-19-season-120609053/

Interview and highlight video.   Two things struck me.   He is not blazing quick.    In the video, his team is always losing.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Dodds on Chartouny
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 08:23:50 PM »
Not blazing quick but uses ball fakes (both pass and shot) to get his defender off balance very well and takes advantage getting around the defender. Also always reading the court.

Just how he moves, not how he plays, reminds me of Katin.

I think he’s going to be outstanding for us.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 08:32:23 PM »
https://247sports.com/college/marquette/Article/PG-Joe-Chartouny-transferred-from-Fordham-to-Marquette-for-2018-19-season-120609053/

Interview and highlight video.   Two things struck me.   He is not blazing quick.    In the video, his team is always losing.
I have gone to several Fordham games over the years and seen Chartouny . I think he will contribute the same way Trent Lockett did by being a glue guy and doing whatever is necessary to help the team. Lockett was also a bit slower than the rest of our team when he came in, but his experience allowed him to adapt. Gives us a lot of flexibility with our guards as well. Glad we picked him up.   
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 08:51:01 PM »
Not blazing quick but uses ball fakes (both pass and shot) to get his defender off balance very well and takes advantage getting around the defender. Also always reading the court.

Not blazing quick, but I didn't expect a 6'3" PG from Fordham to be blazing quick. Some of the hilights were vs Davidson and he reminds me of players from that program - sound fundamentally, good form on his shot, uses both hands well, plays good position D and plays the passing lanes well.

I also think he'll be outstanding for us.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 08:54:29 PM »
And my guess is that he thoroughly understands the role that he will be asked to play here.  I am not worried about him.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 09:44:54 PM »
I think Wojo and company have learned from the previous development of Carlino and Kaitin, that will assist Chartouny.
Perhaps they now know better how a high usage grad transfer will work out as the season progresses.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 10:05:24 PM »
I don't expect him to be a high usage guy for us or at least I hope he isn't. If he is just a facilitator like he describes himself that will be just fine.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 10:25:18 PM »
We are better with him than we would be without him.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 11:21:06 PM »
I love the drive and kick ability he brings. With the shooters we have that could make him extremely deadly. And if he can teach it to Markus that would be a bonus!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 01:14:14 AM »

Also, having two guards with  hesitation-dribble skills (Markus is an artist at this)  is going to be really big for us.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

DoggyDaddy

• Team Captain
  • We're Warriors son, not Beagles.
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 07:53:38 AM »
Defense, ball distribution, overall floor leadership,  JC is just what is needed for a team with a core of talented shooters and versatile big men.   

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 07:59:42 AM »
We are better with him than we would be without him.

If this is true - and I suspect it is - I will be very happy.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 08:09:59 AM »
I think Wojo and company have learned from the previous development of Carlino and Kaitin, that will assist Chartouny.
Perhaps they now know better how a high usage grad transfer will work out as the season progresses.

I should probably then brace myself for the "JC isn't as good as I thought he was" - type posts when he has a couple off games to start the year.

4th and State

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2018, 09:14:05 AM »

I should probably then brace myself for the "JC isn't as good as I thought he was" - type posts when he has a couple off games to start the year.

Yep, this will absolutely happen.  I'm expecting a slow start from Chartouny, but he will become an extremely valuable role player as we get into BE play.

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2018, 09:49:26 AM »
For starters he will have to get used to bigger crowds.  There are fewer people in the stands at those home games than at my nephews grade school games. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 10:04:36 AM »
Watching the highlights, I love the patience. He's always looking for the open man or the better play. So often he seemed to be committed to a drive or three, then suddenly was whipping the ball to the open man or changing it up and going inside. He looks like exactly what we need.

That said, he'll probably start slow. Lockett, Carlino, and Reinhardt all started slowly before acclimating to the team. It may not be until December or January before we see how effective he can be.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2018, 10:40:41 AM »
That said, he'll probably start slow. Lockett, Carlino, and Reinhardt all started slowly before acclimating to the team. It may not be until December or January before we see how effective he can be.

I like to think that if this happens, Scoopers, having experienced this before, will be patient and won't lose their shyte.

Oh ... wah-ha-ha-ha-ha! ... sometimes I crack myself up!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2018, 07:56:22 PM »
I think posters here are over excited about Chartouny, which means he has a lot of expectations to live up to. I have never seen him play or watched any of the videos. It concerns me that his team finished last in the Atl 10 last year. Usually there are three really good teams in the Atl 10. After that the league does not compare to the Big East. Of course he could of been a very good player surrounded by bad players. I am likely to be happier with Chartouny than a lot of poster here, because I have lower expectations.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2018, 08:28:52 PM »
I think posters here are over excited about Chartouny, which means he has a lot of expectations to live up to. I have never seen him play or watched any of the videos. It concerns me that his team finished last in the Atl 10 last year. Usually there are three really good teams in the Atl 10. After that the league does not compare to the Big East. Of course he could of been a very good player surrounded by bad players. I am likely to be happier with Chartouny than a lot of poster here, because I have lower expectations.
Eric Paschall , transferred to Villanova from the same Fordham team that Chartouny played on.

Yes there will be a slight adjustment for Chartouny, however he is an intelligent player who understands what his role is going to be at MU. My expectations are that he is another Trent Lockett, starting off slow and  then finding his niche by the end of the season and making important contributions when they matter. 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2018, 08:31:17 PM »
My expectations are that he is another Trent Lockett
We know.......we know.

bobnoxious

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2018, 08:45:24 PM »
So he's going to be like Trent Lockett?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2018, 08:59:04 PM »
Trent Lockett who was valuable and efficient enough that he briefly signed an NBA contract and now plays at a very high level in Europe?  I'd be MORE than fine with that level from JC.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2018, 09:04:20 PM »
He is a point guard with size who is a plus defender........that alone should get people excited.

Nobody expects him to be all conference.........we expect him to be a guy who fills an important role on a good team.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2018, 09:22:08 PM »
He is a point guard with size who is a plus defender........that alone should get people excited.

Nobody expects him to be all conference.........we expect him to be a guy who fills an important role on a good team.

Exactly.

I expect 7-10 ppg, 4-6 apg, and 3-5 rpg on average shooting.

And I expect he will be awesome for us.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2018, 09:32:14 PM »
Plus, Chartouny will join Matt as one of two seniors on the roster. Along with juniors Ed, Sacar, Sam and Markus, Marquette will have plenty of experience and leadership to count on this season.

Together, these six players have appeared in 409 career games and logged a total of 9,882 minutes. That's an average of 68 career games played and 24.1 mpg. Such deep experience at virtually every position can be a real difference maker in college basketball.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words