[Today at 07:05:03 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:25:51 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dodds on Chartouny  (Read 16749 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: Dodds on Chartouny
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2018, 09:32:02 AM »
The Wino?  What does that even mea....ohhhhh.

Cam Marotta?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2018, 11:34:39 AM »

I like "The French Connection" as a nickname for a point guard distributor hailing from Quebec.

If Chartouny is as good on defense as his reputation suggests, a nickname along the lines of "The Glove" (Gary Payton) would also be a good fit.

Maybe "The Flash" for his instincts and quick jump to intercept passes? "The Tornado" for causing chaos with the other team's offense? "The Shadow" for guarding players close?

Any of those would be miles better than "The Wino."
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2018, 01:17:13 PM »
Right. That's exactly what people posted about Harry Froling after a couple of games and look how well that turned out.

No doubt Harry was a disappointment but Joe has a much better track record as a college player then Harry did.

Our record with transfers has been pretty damn good......especially Grad transfers.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2018, 01:47:30 PM »
Right. That's exactly what people posted about Harry Froling after a couple of games and look how well that turned out.

So easy to be negative ... and for what purpose?

You do know that Lockett, Reinhardt and Chartouny are all grad transfers with considerable experience and accomplishments, while Froling was a freshman who hardly played in his half-season at SMU, right?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2018, 02:17:44 PM »
So easy to be negative ... and for what purpose?

You do know that Lockett, Reinhardt and Chartouny are all grad transfers with considerable experience and accomplishments, while Froling was a freshman who hardly played in his half-season at SMU, right?

I also know that lot of folks, particularly Dodds, who had a huge picture of Harry  heading his site for about 9 months, told us that  Harry was the second coming of Bill Walton. Done Deal.

For what purpose? - to remind the Pollyanna types not to count their chickens before they're hatched.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2018, 02:32:15 PM »
I also know that lot of folks, particularly Dodds, who had a huge picture of Harry  heading his site for about 9 months, told us that  Harry was the second coming of Bill Walton. Done Deal.

For what purpose? - to remind the Pollyanna types not to count their chickens before they're hatched.

Well first, I think MU82's point is a good one.  JC is a proven college player and not a guy judged on potential like Froling.

Second, the next time I pay attention to any of Dodds' opinions on players will be my first.

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2018, 02:44:26 PM »

Second, the next time I pay attention to any of Dodds' opinions on players will be my first.

I pay attention and then I assume the opposite. Sort of like the opposite George Costanza. It works out pretty well.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2018, 02:55:38 PM »
I pay attention and then I assume the opposite. Sort of like the opposite George Costanza. It works out pretty well.

"My name is George. I'm unemployed and I live with my parents."

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2018, 03:00:47 PM »
"My name is George. I'm unemployed and I live with my parents."

Mr. Steinbrenner : Nice to meet you.

George : Well, I wish I could say the same, but I must say, with all due respect, I find it very hard to see the logic behind some of the moves you have made with this fine organization. In the past twenty years you have caused myself, and the city of New York, a good deal of distress, as we have watched you take our beloved Yankees and reduced them to a laughing stock, all for the glorification of your massive ego!

Mr. Steinbrenner : Hire this man!

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2018, 03:30:01 PM »
I like "The French Connection" as a nickname for a point guard distributor hailing from Quebec.

If Chartouny is as good on defense as his reputation suggests, a nickname along the lines of "The Glove" (Gary Payton) would also be a good fit.

Maybe "The Flash" for his instincts and quick jump to intercept passes? "The Tornado" for causing chaos with the other team's offense? "The Shadow" for guarding players close?

Any of those would be miles better than "The Wino."

The flash, shadow, or tornado would be 1000x worse and indescribaly gaer than the wino
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2018, 03:41:33 PM »

Froling, a freshman who had played a handful of college games, fooled Bilas, too, and a few others who know more than you, me or Dodds do.

JCS is a legit college player with a pretty darn good resume who happens to fit the exact need we had.

Being negative for the sake of it is silly and wasted energy.

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2018, 04:32:56 PM »

Being negative for the sake of it is silly and wasted energy.

You've now said the same thing twice- want to go for the triple crown? I realize there are folks here who can't handle the slightest bit of criticism of the program or the Scooper crowd, but repetition is not very convincing. And how we choose to spend our energy is nobody's business but our own. 9,000 posts on a college basketball site seems like a weird use of energy to me, but hey- its a free country.
You can have the last word.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 04:35:20 PM by Mutaman »

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2018, 05:12:54 PM »
I've found it takes very little energy to post.........

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2018, 05:20:30 PM »
I've found it takes very little energy to post.........

I usually have to take a little nap after doing it.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2018, 09:24:54 PM »
The flash, shadow, or tornado would be 1000x worse and indescribaly gaer than the wino

There's zero need to use a slur on sexual orientation to make your objection clear. To each his own.

IMO, "The Wino" is both lazy and dumb. "Chartouny" only vaguely resembles "chardonnay." And I can think of no universe in which "wino" (defined as a person addicted to wine, especially a derelict) is a nickname anyone would want. Would "The Heroin Junkie" be a good nickname for Tyler Herro?

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2018, 09:30:14 PM »
Joseph "Vintage" Chartouny would be a much better nickname if you want to connect his last name to "chardonnay."

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2018, 09:39:10 PM »
" The Thief" 

It is his best skill.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2018, 09:56:44 PM »
The Lebanese Dish.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2018, 10:00:53 PM »
You've now said the same thing twice- want to go for the triple crown? I realize there are folks here who can't handle the slightest bit of criticism of the program or the Scooper crowd, but repetition is not very convincing. And how we choose to spend our energy is nobody's business but our own. 9,000 posts on a college basketball site seems like a weird use of energy to me, but hey- its a free country.
You can have the last word.

It was a bad comparison and I called you on it and I explained why. And you reacted by using energy to write a post questioning why anybody would use energy to post here. Outstanding.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2018, 07:53:40 AM »
There's zero need to use a slur on sexual orientation to make your objection clear. To each his own.
Fortunately for him, his spelling ignorance helped mask his social ignorance.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2018, 08:32:39 AM »
IMO, "The Wino" is both lazy and dumb. "Chartouny" only vaguely resembles "chardonnay." And I can think of no universe in which "wino" (defined as a person addicted to wine, especially a derelict) is a nickname anyone would want. Would "The Heroin Junkie" be a good nickname for Tyler Herro?

Oh, boy...the collective sensitivity of Scoop.

"The Wino" has its origins back to his recruitment when few posters could, and then became would as a board joke, be able to spell Joe's name correctly, so then it became "Chardonnay".  This is similar to "O'Tule" or "Dewayne" or "Davonte" or "O'Neal" or "Heyward".  Frankly, this board has a spelling problem.

Yes, calling him "Wino" it is both lazy and dumb, but so is continually misspelling our multi year player's or coach's names.

Thanks for setting me straight, though.  One simple ask: change your handle.  It is spelled "Markus", not "Marcus".

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2018, 08:34:36 AM »

"The Wino" has its origins back to his recruitment when few posters could, and then became would as a board joke, be able to spell Joe's name correctly, so then it became "Chardonnay".  This is similar to "O'Tule" or "Dewayne" or "Davonte" or "O'Neal" or "Heyward".  Frankly, this board has a spelling problem.

Yes, calling him "Wino" it is both lazy and dumb, but so is continually misspelling our multi year player's or coach's names.

Thanks for setting me straight, though.  One simple ask: change your handle.  It is spelled "Markus", not "Marcus".

Frankly, "Lazy and Dumb" should be Scoop's tagline.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2018, 08:57:08 AM »

To me, it's less about sensitivity than the fact that it's a terrible nickname. Apologies if I've overanalyzed things. I'd simply hate for "The Wino" to stick as a nickname.

I've been Marcus92 on MUScoop since 2012. Didn't change it for Markus Howard, Quentin Grimes, Joseph Chartouny or any other player. Not changing it now.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2018, 09:34:54 AM »
To me, it's less about sensitivity than the fact that it's a terrible nickname. Apologies if I've overanalyzed things. I'd simply hate for "The Wino" to stick as a nickname.

I've been Marcus92 on MUScoop since 2012. Didn't change it for Markus Howard, Quentin Grimes, Joseph Chartouny or any other player. Not changing it now.

Thanks, no apologizes needed. Sometimes (often times) I post things for effect. In this case, "The Wino" is so out there, no one else would honestly repeat it.  But, it may cause posters to pause and look up the spelling of his name or wonder who that refers to and learn a little bit about him and maybe post it here.

Fair enough on the Marcus moniker.  I remember now that is your name.

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2018, 10:13:36 PM »

I should probably then brace myself for the "JC isn't as good as I thought he was" - type posts when he has a couple off games to start the year.

Hope everyone braced themselves.

feedback