[Today at 09:40:38 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU82
[Today at 08:02:41 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ESPN: Why does BPI rate Marquette higher than Duke or Kentucky?  (Read 22787 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: ESPN: Why does BPI rate Marquette higher than Duke or Kentucky?
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2018, 04:48:25 PM »
This is kind of what I was getting at in the 'nobody has to do anything heroic' thread.   MU's talent is there.   Size, experience, shooting, depth.    Much can still go wrong, but if everyone on the team is no better or worse than we think, there is even more that can go right. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2018, 04:53:21 PM »
If Wojo leaves after some success this season, this whole slow & steady build will have been for naught.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2018, 05:01:58 PM »
I think it's again worth asking where, though. What program is big enough that has a coach who might be on the hot seat? I don't see Wojo going to a Big Ten or Big East job. Maybe Maryland, but I don't think Turgeon is on the hot seat unless they are terrible.

Are there any ACC teams (aside from Duke/UNC) that are high enough level with coaches on the hot seat? Virginia, Louisville, Notre Dame, or NC State might be big enough, but I don't think anyone is on the hot seat or likely leaving. Syracuse I can't see going outside their own family even if Boeheim leaves. Maybe Wake Forest if Danny Manning gets fired?

In the SEC, Florida, Tennessee, Arkansas, and LSU might be big enough jobs, but none of their coaches are likely going anywhere. Nowhere else seems possible. Same with Texas or Oklahoma in the Big 12. Can't see Smart leaving. Maybe Krueger does, that might be possible, but I don't think he's in any risk of losing his job.

I don't think he'd go to a bottom of a big league job, I think it would take another top-25 type program. Just not sure any of those are going to be cutting ties with their coaches this year.
I think this is correct on July 28, 2018.

However, every year (more in recent years) there is a scandal, unforeseen departure, etc. which sets the coaching ripple effect into motion.

My only concern is continuing to go hard after 5 and high 4* star kids only to come up empty. I’ve heard Wojo say “why not Marquette?” and saying we will take a back seat to no one. However, when the actions don’t meet the words and you are implementing plan b/c, perhaps your perception of the situation changes.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 06:23:21 PM by We R Final Four »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2018, 05:31:10 PM »
I know many are still scarred by TC and Buzz leaving, but believe it or not, sometimes coaches stay at their current jobs. And not just the blue bloods.

Generally as long as a coach is happy at a Marquette level program, he will not look leave for another job unless it is one of the top jobs in the country. Since returning to relevancy, we haven't had that, so we assume its impossible.

Wojo may stay. Wojo may go. I could be wrong but I think unless a blue blood comes calling, or Wojo grows unhappy at Marquette, I think he will stick around for awhile.

Agree fully. Ultimately it doesn’t come down to a simple “what job is better.”  Many factors at play including personal ones.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2018, 06:28:54 PM »
Haven’t you heard? We were in the NIT last year—-some on here believe that’s too large of a hurdle to overcome.
Nothing can help recruiting at this point.

Yeah, I remember those Posts  My guess is that very, very,  good players have Two major considerations:
                     1) Playing Time
                     2) Helping me into the Pro's.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

muguru

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2018, 06:48:21 PM »
I think this is correct on July 28, 2018.

However, every year (more in recent years) there is a scandal, unforeseen departure, etc. which sets the coaching ripple effect into motion.

My only concern is continuing to go hard after 5 and high 4* star kids only to come up empty. I’ve heard Wojo say “why not Marquette?” and saying we will take a back seat to no one. However, when the actions don’t meet the words and you are implementing plan b/c, perhaps your perception of the situation changes.

This is a great point...I think if Wojo leaves, this will be why...recruiting, and striking out on the top guys too much. That's what ultimately drove TC to Indiana was losing Iman Shumpert when he had him basically wrapped up, before he "switched" to Georgia Tech late.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2018, 07:56:12 PM »
If you are talking about straight statistics, sure.  But if you are successful in a top tier program that provides you with just about everything you would ever want (including pay), and you have demonstrated that you are honored and humbled by being a part one of the most important programs in NCAA basketball history, why would you leave for anything other than the arguably the top job in NCAA basketball, which also happens to be your alma mater?

Where else would Wojo go?  North Carolina? Kansas?

I’m not saying straight stats—just what is likely.  Let’s pretend that his dream is duke and someone else gets it.  Or he gets put on the hot seat at some point.  Or like others referenced he gets frustrated by recruiting. I am sure Wojo loves his current situation but there are so many things that can change between now and the end of his career that make me less confident than you are.   

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2018, 08:14:05 PM »

Eh.  I could see him leaving for a place like Florida or Texas.  A high level program but not a "blue blood."

if salaries remain equal, other than the weather(and maybe the coeds ;)) MU is a better place to be, imho of course.  most other top tier programs have to compete with football.  at MU, men's basketball is "football".  our fans are as good as any or better.  AND, we have probably one of the best arenas to play in.  you bring MU to the top 10-15 or better, it will get all the national attention one needs-just win baby!
don't...don't don't don't don't

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2018, 08:15:28 PM »
So basically, the Preseason NIT is for the national championship?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2018, 08:18:04 PM »
Has there actually been any indication that Wojo is frustrated with the recruiting situation? QG hurt because we were pretty much guaranteeing that he'd start day one and we were there right up to the end. But missing out on Carton, Watts, and likely Mannion when we already have one pg in the fold for the next three years isn't exactly a huge loss. Hagans was a unique situation that we attempted to jump on and lost out to UK, no shame in that. We don't have a lot of playing time to offer for 19 recruits. Very different story for 20 recruits. Let's see how Wojo does with that class before declaring that he'll leave because he can't get the blue chippers.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2018, 09:19:59 PM »
Wow. What a thread.

If Wojo doesn't go to the FF, he has underachieved. If he does go to the FF, he gowne.

Meanwhile ... MU 4th in the country? Wisconsin 8th? Duke 9th? Illinois 21st? Kentucky 22nd?Northwestern 26th? St. John's 27th?

All righty then. Ya know it's summer when this stuff is out there.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2018, 09:23:48 PM »
Wow. What a thread.

If Wojo doesn't go to the FF, he has underachieved. If he does go to the FF, he gowne.

MUScoop.  We're not happy unless we are miserable.
Have some patience, FFS.

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2018, 09:28:38 PM »
Hype for this season is so high, if I recall this happened a couple times before and that season did not go very well...cant wait but Im gonna have to stay tempered, such is the life of a MU fan.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2018, 09:33:22 PM »
MUScoop.  We're not happy unless we are miserable.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2018, 09:34:36 PM »
Wow. What a thread.

Meanwhile ... MU 4th in the country? Wisconsin 8th? Duke 9th? Illinois 21st? Kentucky 22nd?Northwestern 26th? St. John's 27th?

All righty then. Ya know it's summer when this stuff is out there.

I think what this shows is that this metric really values continuity. Virtually everyone is a returning player, and the notable guys that aren't returning are either highly regarded freshmen (Hauser, Bailey) or performed at a high-level in top-10 conferences (Morrow, Chartouny).

The article also notes it projects us to have the #1 offense. We return Hauser and Howard, but even our lower impact guys (Heldt, Cain, Sacar, Cain) are good to great in terms of offensive efficiency. I'm usually wearing the blue and rose gold goggles, but this is too high even for me. That said, I can understand how a system would slant to a team like us. We return a ton, bring in experienced production, and have highly regarded freshmen. And our offense has been elite the last two years and even losing Rowsey we shouldn't see much of a dropoff.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2018, 09:54:45 PM »
I think what this shows is that this metric really values continuity. Virtually everyone is a returning player, and the notable guys that aren't returning are either highly regarded freshmen (Hauser, Bailey) or performed at a high-level in top-10 conferences (Morrow, Chartouny).

The article also notes it projects us to have the #1 offense. We return Hauser and Howard, but even our lower impact guys (Heldt, Cain, Sacar, Cain) are good to great in terms of offensive efficiency. I'm usually wearing the blue and rose gold goggles, but this is too high even for me. That said, I can understand how a system would slant to a team like us. We return a ton, bring in experienced production, and have highly regarded freshmen. And our offense has been elite the last two years and even losing Rowsey we shouldn't see much of a dropoff.

Oh, I think we're gonna be good this season. I haven't made my "official prediction" yet, as some have, because I want to see how our health is going into the season, if we have any McKay-type late transfers, etc. But I expect us to be a very good team.

Still, all of these ratings systems crack me up.

This one says we're the No. 4 team in the country. Meanwhile, Lunardi has us barely sneaking into the tournament and having to play at Dayton. The reality almost certainly is somewhere between those extremes.

I try not to get wrapped up in them, as I know they are just conversation starters. But they do crack me up.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2018, 11:13:26 PM »
So, if we don't get to final 4 Wojo underperforms

Yes

WarriorDad

• All American
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2018, 11:58:01 PM »
wades asked "where," not "what."

Impossible to predict what will be open.  In my view reading our own fans expectations, the idea he has to beg people to come out to some games, how fans were pissy about the NIT, the level of misery wears people down.  Maybe it is this way with every school, but we sure act entitled at times.  Fully onboard the Wojo train and have been very pleased with MU coaches for most of the last 20 years.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2018, 12:10:45 AM »
Impossible to predict what will be open.  In my view reading our own fans expectations, the idea he has to beg people to come out to some games, how fans were pissy about the NIT, the level of misery wears people down.  Maybe it is this way with every school, but we sure act entitled at times.  Fully onboard the Wojo train and have been very pleased with MU coaches for most of the last 20 years.

Wonder which of those years are not included in “most” of those last 20 years.

Chicos the Chicago sports fan doesn’t differ from Chicos the SoCal boy on his MU coaching preferences.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2018, 06:23:47 AM »
Oh, I think we're gonna be good this season. I haven't made my "official prediction" yet, as some have, because I want to see how our health is going into the season, if we have any McKay-type late transfers, etc. But I expect us to be a very good team.

Still, all of these ratings systems crack me up.

This one says we're the No. 4 team in the country. Meanwhile, Lunardi has us barely sneaking into the tournament and having to play at Dayton. The reality almost certainly is somewhere between those extremes.

I try not to get wrapped up in them, as I know they are just conversation starters. But they do crack me up.

That's where I'm at. Honestly, the "ahead of Duke and Kentucky" is a big flag for me that they might have some issues with their calculation methods. Duke? Maybe, they are placing a lot in the hands of four freshmen when this year's freshman class is underwhelming. Kentucky, on the other hand, returns more than they typically do, still has talent from the freshman ranks, and also adds Reid Travis.

I do think Lunardi is just as batcrap crazy, though. At a guess, I'd say somewhere in the 10-20 range, and 3-5 seed feels not that far off the mark.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2018, 06:52:11 AM »
I know many are still scarred by TC and Buzz leaving, but believe it or not, sometimes coaches stay at their current jobs. And not just the blue bloods.

Generally as long as a coach is happy at a Marquette level program, he will not look leave for another job unless it is one of the top jobs in the country. Since returning to relevancy, we haven't had that, so we assume its impossible.

Wojo may stay. Wojo may go. I could be wrong but I think unless a blue blood comes calling, or Wojo grows unhappy at Marquette, I think he will stick around for awhile.

KO and TC are poster children for the "grass is always greener" mistake. They both have privately, if not publicly, admitted as much. I'm no "insider", but the smart money is on this fact not being lost on Wojo.

World-class arena: check. Rich basketball tradition/history: check.Total support of the administration: check. Top-tier conference and Television contract/exposure: check. Knowledgeable and passionate fan base: check.

I understand people not wanting to get caught up in delusions of grandeur or getting lost in our fabulous history, but we are a pretty darn proud and solid program. I truly believe Wojo feels blessed to be our coach. Strikes me as wanting to make his own mark on the college basketball world. I think he will make it here. And stay here.

Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2018, 07:20:55 AM »
I think this will be a good year.  #4?  Please.  Top 3 in conference, 5 seed overall, outer edge of the top 25, assuming we don't lose too many early.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2018, 07:21:29 AM »

#1 on Offense seems a tad high, but we would have to be a "lock" on a top ten ranking. #90 on D.....I know this is still one giant leap for MU-kind given our basement-dwelling recent history....but GE, Cain, and Theo have us on the defensive uptick, while Morrow's addition will further improve us on both ends. We will be worse than #1 on O and better than #90 on D. I know I'm getting all Price-Is-Right on you guys with my predictions/bids, but I believe we will improve even more significantly on D than the metrics suggest.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2018, 07:39:52 AM »
KO and TC are poster children for the "grass is always greener" mistake. They both have privately, if not publicly, admitted as much. I'm no "insider", but the smart money is on this fact not being lost on Wojo.

World-class arena: check. Rich basketball tradition/history: check.Total support of the administration: check. Top-tier conference and Television contract/exposure: check. Knowledgeable and passionate fan base: check.

I understand people not wanting to get caught up in delusions of grandeur or getting lost in our fabulous history, but we are a pretty darn proud and solid program. I truly believe Wojo feels blessed to be our coach. Strikes me as wanting to make his own mark on the college basketball world. I think he will make it here. And stay here.

This is how I see it.  KO had a legitimate beef because the administration at the time hadn't yet figured out that it needed to spend real money on hoops.  I have little doubt that TC truly misses his time at MU.  I'm not sure he actually regrets the decision to go to Indiana but it's close.  And I'm confident that he's shared that wisdom with Wojo who I genuinely believe has taken it to heart.  Doesn't mean he'll never leave.  But it does mean he understands how beautiful his grass is right now.

One thing for Wojo to be wise to.  Remember last year when he got a bit 'thin skinned' about some mild youth comments?  If he thinks the pressure is bad here go try a blue blood.