collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Duck Boat Tours  (Read 5566 times)

Benny B

• All American
Duck Boat Tours
« on: July 23, 2018, 02:51:43 PM »
Terrible tragedy in Missouri... at first I thought that this is one reason everyone should learn to swim at an early age, but as the story unfolded, I don't think (lack of) swimming ability played much of a role here, if anything at all. 

As a child, I may have been on a half-dozen Duck rides in the Dells but have never seen duck tours operated in other states.  But I saw the pictures of the Missouri duck that went down, and they look completely different than the ones I remember in the Dells.  The thing that jumped out at me was that the Missouri version has a "hard top" roof and what looks like plexi-glass sides on them... if I recall correctly, the Dells version simply has a canopy on top but the sides are open-air.  Though I was much younger, I never felt like the ones in the Dells were particularly dangerous, but seeing the pictures of these ducks in Missouri, I don't know that I'd feel comfortable being in a floating aquarium.

Curious if someone has been on both the Dells version and another version outside of the Dells and what your impressions are.  Wife and I were thinking about taking the kids up to the Dells next month before school started, and a duck tour was near the top of the list.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Duck Boat Tours
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 03:17:50 PM »
we did the Dells duck boat tour last summer.  They are re-purposed military duck boats, so definitely different than what was being operated in MO.  I had no concerns on the Dells tour. 

I know that the storm came up quick in Branson, but I don't think I would want to be out on the lake in even questionable weather in one of those.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 06:02:39 PM »
we did the Dells duck boat tour last summer.  They are re-purposed military duck boats, so definitely different than what was being operated in MO.  I had no concerns on the Dells tour. 

I know that the storm came up quick in Branson, but I don't think I would want to be out on the lake in even questionable weather in one of those.

From what I understand, things were looking pretty bad before the boat even left shore. I read an interview of a guy who had bought tickets in advance and asked for a refund when he saw the conditions.
Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 07:29:12 PM »
when it comes to boating, weather should be kinda important, eyn'a?  same for pilots? don't these guys watch the weather?  hell, i do before i go out for a round of golf.

then there are a number design flaws -

https://www.westernjournal.com/ct/how-the-mighty-have-fallen-hillary-clinton-shows-up-in-apparent-hospital-gown-to-bash-trump/

i also heard somewhere that the exhaust system is not very good in rough waters
don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 08:01:15 PM »
when it comes to boating, weather should be kinda important, eyn'a?  same for pilots? don't these guys watch the weather?  hell, i do before i go out for a round of golf.

https://www.westernjournal.com/ct/how-the-mighty-have-fallen-hillary-clinton-shows-up-in-apparent-hospital-gown-to-bash-trump/

WTF are you linking to?

mueron

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 08:20:03 PM »

WTF are you linking to?

Hahaha this is some of that REAL NEWS we've been lacking lately. None of that FAKE NEWS like NBC or ABC or CNN

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 08:57:58 PM »
Hahaha this is some of that REAL NEWS we've been lacking lately. None of that FAKE NEWS like NBC or ABC or CNN

Classic

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 09:41:12 PM »
This country is unnatural carnal knowledgeed

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 09:52:30 PM »

What a buffoon
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 10:17:45 PM »
I can't tell if Rocket mistakenly linked that.....or if this is a brillant ruse to sneak politics in under the guise of an "oops"
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2018, 05:05:53 AM »

WTF are you linking to?

that was an honest to goodness error-seriously-sorry-was having an email war with my brother...in madison in between responding to scoop.  i meant to link to -

https://www.kansascity.com/entertainment/article215304760.html

i assumed i put up that link and then i got called off suddenly to a family issue (mom is trying to take care of dad who had the stroke last january and now she is putting her self in more harms way)  and this is my first look back-i apologize

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2018, 05:13:34 AM »
I can't tell if Rocket mistakenly linked that.....or if this is a brillant ruse to sneak politics in under the guise of an "oops"
  thank you tamu, for the benefit of doubt.  it's refreshing there still are some of you around here as opposed to those who claim they go to church every week just so they can say they went to church this week   

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2018, 05:28:12 AM »
  thank you tamu, for the benefit of doubt.  it's refreshing there still are some of you around here as opposed to those who claim they go to church every week just so they can say they went to church this week   

Of course it was a mistake. I just found it hilarious that at one point you had the need to actually copy that link.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2018, 06:26:57 AM »
Brother Rocket, at one time or another we all have made mistakes like that.

Ironically, the mis-posted article had a point. In today's world, style can be more important than substance. Whoever let Hillary Clinton appear in public in that outfit either was a GOP plant or had about the same level of style as Jean Lenti-Ponsetto has knowledge of a well-run basketball program.

On the topic, never been on a duck boat but now have a new-found aversion to doing it. Also ultimately believe that boaters and marine providers need to carefully check weather. Years ago when we did Zodiac tours off the Kauai coast, we were cancelled three times due to weather or high surf. One thing is for sure: you don't do repeat business if all of your customers are motion sick, or worse.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 06:29:19 AM by dgies9156 »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2018, 07:34:26 AM »
This country is unnatural carnal knowledgeed

Everything is going to be unimaginably worse and is never going to get any better.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2018, 10:05:18 AM »

Of course it was a mistake. I just found it hilarious that at one point you had the need to actually copy that link.

i was sending it to my lil brother-good thing it wasn't something really really nasty.  here's a little secret sully, some people have different viewpoints than you-gasp-gasp-gasp

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2018, 10:55:10 AM »
  i was sending it to my lil brother-good thing it wasn't something really really nasty.  here's a little secret sully, some people have different viewpoints than you-gasp-gasp-gasp
Especially when their viewpoints are only informed by one point of view.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2018, 11:38:36 AM »

I'm fine with different viewpoints.  I'm laughing that someone who knows how to type would actually use that as a source.  (Which might explain your lack of capitalization.)

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2018, 02:04:06 PM »

Decades ago we regularly vacationed in Eureka Springs AK, near the White River, (about 40-50 miles south of Branson) .....and we went on many Duck boat rides.

My understanding all duck boats are  WW2 survivors, and no one made them since...very antiquated boats that have been modified and limped along for decades for vacationers' pleasure...maybe an idea/technology whose time should be retired ...70 years later. In WW2, duck boats were designed and used mostly for traversing the many rivers of Europe, and for some coastal landing work...they were not for scenic extended pleasure rides on lakes/rivers....while seated just a few inches above the water line

Ours in Eureka were totally open air...not even a canopy. Those nowadays with  canopies, roofs and windows are add ons to extend usage and hours through rainy weather....more passenger income...but a really stupid idea....which is here the key problem...the windows and roofs merely trapped people inside.

That weather could come in quickly...as happened here... seems typical for the Ozarks...an old worn down mountain chain resembling the Smoky mountains, or parts of Appalachia....weather is behind the mountains one minute and crashes in quickly on arrival at the well watered valleys below....we started a sunny clear 4 hour canoe trip down the White River....then got swamped twice by big winds and t-storms that arrived over a 15 minute window....never saw it coming

BTW the White River bears a bluff of about 20 simple A frame vacation rental homes....nothing special to see......BUT....they are famous because of the investors....it is named Whitewater....the Clintons invested ....and this later spurred Ken Starr's Whitewater probe...which started there but went well beyond an investment in some A frame cottages along a river
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2018, 03:10:34 PM »
Everything is going to be unimaginably worse and is never going to get any better.
That's the spirit!

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2018, 03:36:31 PM »
Like Keefe plagiarizing a neo nazi white supremacist word-for-word and passing it off as his own composition served as the perfect microcosm of 2017, rocket's accidentally-revealed source of "news" (about HRC no less!) is sparkling perfect 2018.

Thanks y'all.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2018, 04:29:27 PM »

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2018, 05:20:55 PM »
Like Keefe plagiarizing a neo nazi white supremacist word-for-word and passing it off as his own composition served as the perfect microcosm of 2017, rocket's accidentally-revealed source of "news" (about HRC no less!) is sparkling perfect 2018.

Thanks y'all.

Bingo. Only one post from Keefe since, but to be fair, he has been "exceedingly busy".

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2018, 05:28:35 PM »
Bingo. Only one post from Keefe since, but to be fair, he has been "exceedingly busy".

He was back as The Baby David or something like that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2018, 05:43:54 PM »
I have done the Duck boats in the Dells.   I would do them again.    But I would pay attention to the weather. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.