[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by avid1010
[Today at 09:16:40 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: One and Done rule about to go away?  (Read 8051 times)

WarriorDad

• All American
One and Done rule about to go away?
« on: July 11, 2018, 08:26:41 AM »
Adam Silver supports the removal.  Positive step.  https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1569700
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Benny B

• All American
Re: One and Done rule about to go away?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 12:17:26 PM »
But does the NBAPA support it?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 12:24:13 PM »
I think it would be good to get rid of the rule.  But, I think that the NCAA should let high school kids test the waters, much like they do with college kids who consider coming out early but not hiring agents.  I'd even go so far as to say that they ought to let them declare for the draft, and if not selected, go to college.

In an interview I saw with Silver a few weeks ago, he mentioned that one challenge the NBA has is that teams are trading picks, but they don't know when the change will be made.  The first draft after they get rid of the rule will be totally stacked, and those picks -- which might already have been traded -- will be extremely valuable. 
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 01:36:13 PM »
I think it would be good to get rid of the rule.  But, I think that the NCAA should let high school kids test the waters, much like they do with college kids who consider coming out early but not hiring agents.  I'd even go so far as to say that they ought to let them declare for the draft, and if not selected, go to college.

Why not let them enter the draft, get selected and still go to college? Works for the NHL and MLB, why not the NBA?

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 01:43:31 PM »
Why not let them enter the draft, get selected and still go to college? Works for the NHL and MLB, why not the NBA?
I don’t think the NBA teams would go for that.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 02:09:46 PM »

Not sure about NHL, but for MLB it's my understanding that if you're drafted and then you go to college, the team loses your rights, and you will eventually need to re-enter the draft, i.e. MLB no longer has the "draft-and-follow" where a team could draft someone and essentially let them go to college instead of the minors, and when he's finished with school, he's still in your system.

That said, the NHL has 7 rounds and MLB has 40.  When you only have two rounds of the draft in the NBA, you can ill-afford to be risking those picks on someone who isn't going to contribute for 1-4 years, if ever.

Unless they drastically increase the number of rounds in the draft (which is unlikely given the average talent pool each year), it would be improbable for the NBA to go to a draft-and-follow model.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 03:48:08 PM »
College coaches (and most fans I talk to) were hoping for a rule mandating at least 2 years in college.

That simply isn't going to happen.

If the 1-and-done rule goes, it will mostly mean a return to the Garnett-LeBron-Eddy Curry days of a select few high schools coming out early, and an even more select few actually being good enough to have NBA careers.

They could tweak it a little in a way or two mentioned earlier in this thread, but don't expect the NBA to cede much to colleges. And definitely don't expect the NBAPA to cede anything that will prevent players from getting to their second contracts as soon as possible.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 03:58:54 PM »
With the growth of the G-League, and the changes to draft eligibility, I wonder if the NBA would ever go to three rounds for the draft.  It would give each franchise more picks, obviously, but it would also guarantee another draft pick slot to stash in the G-League for developmental purposes.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 04:13:46 PM »
Not sure about NHL, but for MLB it's my understanding that if you're drafted and then you go to college, the team loses your rights, and you will eventually need to re-enter the draft, i.e. MLB no longer has the "draft-and-follow" where a team could draft someone and essentially let them go to college instead of the minors, and when he's finished with school, he's still in your system.

Yes, an MLB team loses a player if he doesn't sign before enrolling in college. But a team does receive a compensatory pick in the next draft one slot below the pick they made (i.e. if you take a high school kid #3 overall and he doesn't sign, you get next year's #4 overall pick). But there's a huge incentive for a kid to sign. Moreso, I think than for the team to sign him.
That said, the NHL model makes more sense. If a drafted kid goes to college (as will seven first-round picks from this year's draft), the drafting team retains his rights until 30 days after he leaves college.

That said, the NHL has 7 rounds and MLB has 40.  When you only have two rounds of the draft in the NBA, you can ill-afford to be risking those picks on someone who isn't going to contribute for 1-4 years, if ever.

Well, there's nothing stopping the NBA from expanding its draft and the pool of talent - just from the game's global expansion, not to mention its growth in popularity domestically - is significantly larger today than it was back when there were 10 rounds.
And, in reality, the great majority of guys taken in the first two rounds of the NHL draft (95 percent of them being 18 years old) are 3-4 years away from even making the big club. Same with baseball, where the average age of an MLB debut is 24 years old.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 05:10:58 PM by Pakuni »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 04:48:17 PM »
Go to 4 rounds. Let 3rd and 4th rounders decide if they'd rather go to college or the G League.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 05:14:05 PM »
I suppose there's an argument to be made for expanding the NBA draft so long as you have somewhere to put these kids, especially considering that for every player drafted who never plays in the NBA, there are 2-3 undrafted players who do make it to the NBA. 

But I wouldn't count on international pool to help round things out... there are typically 5-10 draft picks in any given year who never play in the NBA, the of which are international players.  Additionally, of the (typical) 1-2 dozen undrafted players who do end up playing in the NBA, very few are international players.

But even if the pool can be expanded with NBA-caliber talent, it just doesn't seem like there's as much turnover in the NBA as there is in the other three pro sports, i.e. the average career of players seems like it's much longer in the NBA, thereby reducing the number of opportunities for minor league talent to eventually break through.  Granted, I don't have anything to back this up, that's just what my gut tells me.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 05:19:35 PM »
With the growth of the G-League, and the changes to draft eligibility, I wonder if the NBA would ever go to three rounds for the draft.  It would give each franchise more picks, obviously, but it would also guarantee another draft pick slot to stash in the G-League for developmental purposes.

Go to 4 rounds. Let 3rd and 4th rounders decide if they'd rather go to college or the G League.

Doubtful the union would agree to draft expansion.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 06:52:48 PM »
Yes, an MLB team loses a player if he doesn't sign before enrolling in college. But a team does receive a compensatory pick in the next draft one slot below the pick they made (i.e. if you take a high school kid #3 overall and he doesn't sign, you get next year's #4 overall pick). But there's a huge incentive for a kid to sign. Moreso, I think than for the team to sign him.

Our neighbor's kid got drafted by the Cleveland Indians a few years back. As part of his signing deal, they agreed to pay for his college once he left pro baseball. He never made it out of A-ball.  So technically, he did go to college on a full ride baseball scholarship.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 06:54:32 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2018, 05:16:31 AM »
Adam Silver supports the removal.  Positive step.  https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1569700

Terrible idea. It will mean the end of competitive college basketball.  It the one and done rule passes, the next step will be to add more draft rounds to fill up the NBA's expanded minor league system to develop the players.  Goodbye NCAA basketball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2018, 06:46:03 AM »
Terrible idea. It will mean the end of competitive college basketball.  It the one and done rule passes, the next step will be to add more draft rounds to fill up the NBA's expanded minor league system to develop the players.  Goodbye NCAA basketball.

Uh ok.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2018, 09:17:00 AM »

How did NCAA basketball survive between Kevin Garnett going from high school to the NBA in 1995 until 2006, when the one-and-done rule was imposed?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2018, 09:18:20 AM »
Our neighbor's kid got drafted by the Cleveland Indians a few years back. As part of his signing deal, they agreed to pay for his college once he left pro baseball. He never made it out of A-ball.  So technically, he did go to college on a full ride baseball scholarship.

Excellent.  Always good to see a kid taking advantage of the system rather than the other way around.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2018, 09:37:50 AM »
While Brother Stretch is hyperbolizing, I do think in today's day and age we will see a lot more high schoolers declare for the draft then we did in the 90s and 00s. I hope that if the one and done rule goes away that the NCAA rethinks eligibility for players who declare for the draft. I would love a system like NCAA hockey.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2018, 09:42:55 AM »
While Brother Stretch is hyperbolizing, I do think in today's day and age we will see a lot more high schoolers declare for the draft then we did in the 90s and 00s. I hope that if the one and done rule goes away that the NCAA rethinks eligibility for players who declare for the draft. I would love a system like NCAA hockey.

I think they would have to. Which is a good thing.
Like you, I don't see why basketball players need to be treated differently than hockey players.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2018, 09:43:47 AM »

You do realize there was competitive college basketball before the rule was implemented, right?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2018, 09:44:43 AM »

Honestly, good for him. Smart.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2018, 09:46:02 AM »
Doubtful the union would agree to draft expansion.

Not sure why. Current undrafted players are just as much of a threat to a current NBA player's job than a 3rd rounder would be.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2018, 09:47:50 AM »
I actually think that providing more continuity to college basketball rosters is a good thing from a fan's perspective. 

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2018, 09:48:16 AM »
High school seniors should be able to see where they get drafted before making a decision whether to play college ball or go for the pros. Eligibility should not be lost until they are signed.

I say go to four rounds because a bunch of 3rd and 4th rounders would probably end up choosing to go to college rather than play in the G League. You wouldn't actually get 4 rounds worth of players entering the pro ranks. But let them see where they would land before making the decision.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2018, 09:48:47 AM »
I actually think that providing more continuity to college basketball rosters is a good thing from a fan's perspective.

I completely agree with this point.

feedback