[Today at 06:55:33 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Nukem2
[Today at 04:02:06 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: shot clock golf  (Read 4817 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
shot clock golf
« on: June 10, 2018, 08:54:46 AM »
http://www.golf.com/tour-news/2018/06/08/european-tours-shot-clock-masters-debuts-rave-reviews

being a big fan of golf and an avid participant, i'd love to see some version of this adapted.  with golf having some of the most arcane rules you've never heard of, setting a strict amount of time for each golfer to get his/her shot off is intriguing.   supposedly there is a time allowance, but you would never know it from watching some of these guys play.  i understand each shot is important, but these guys are pros.  30 seconds to tee off, 30 seconds to play 2nd shot once your ball is recognized, etc...maybe 45 seconds to putt.  give them 2 timeouts per round where they may be allowed an extra 30 seconds.  1 warning, then 1 shot penalties. 

just wondering what anyone else may think?
don't...don't don't don't don't

🏀

• All American
Re: shot clock golf
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 10:33:21 AM »
I don't disagree, but a shot clock is obnoxious.

Certain players, that are constantly slow (Na, Cantlay, Crane) should be on the clock from the first tee shot.

Enforce the rules you have now, target the habitual offenders and the problem goes away.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 10:38:38 AM »
Side note, I love, love, love the new rules.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 10:57:22 AM »
I don't disagree, but a shot clock is obnoxious.

Certain players, that are constantly slow (Na, Cantlay, Crane) should be on the clock from the first tee shot.

Enforce the rules you have now, target the habitual offenders and the problem goes away.

i think na has improved, cantalay is ridiculous.  but that's the thing-how much time is too much?  if one guy is playing slow, it does affect the others in the group.  i know i feel the pressure when we are behind.  one guy keeps duffing, losing his ball and he's lining up his shot, doing the pga shuffle only to miss...again, but we are a hole and a half behind,,,

the new rule changes are mostly for casual play i believe.  can't imagine the pga playing "dead pin" when all are on the green

2019 Rule: Under Rule 13.2a(2):                 

There will no longer be a penalty if a ball played from the putting green hits a flagstick left in the hole.
Players will not be required to putt with the flagstick in the hole; rather, they will continue to have the choice to have it removed (which includes having someone attend the flagstick and remove it after the ball is played).

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 11:10:11 AM »
i know i feel the pressure when we are behind.  one guy keeps duffing, losing his ball and he's lining up his shot...

Have we played together?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 11:27:27 AM »
i think na has improved, cantalay is ridiculous.  but that's the thing-how much time is too much?  if one guy is playing slow, it does affect the others in the group.  i know i feel the pressure when we are behind.  one guy keeps duffing, losing his ball and he's lining up his shot, doing the pga shuffle only to miss...again, but we are a hole and a half behind,,,

the new rule changes are mostly for casual play i believe.  can't imagine the pga playing "dead pin" when all are on the green

2019 Rule: Under Rule 13.2a(2):                 

There will no longer be a penalty if a ball played from the putting green hits a flagstick left in the hole.
Players will not be required to putt with the flagstick in the hole; rather, they will continue to have the choice to have it removed (which includes having someone attend the flagstick and remove it after the ball is played).

Oh yeah, new rules should help the weekend rounds, not the PGA. No round should ever take more than 4 hours.

I want rangers explaining the maximum score rule to everyone teeing off and those behind pace. Check some score cards too.

We played in a 3-man scramble at Hawk's View recently with 8" cups. It took us 52 minutes to play 13 & 14, our first two holes. The ranger was waiting for us on 15 to let us know the group in front carded double bogies on their first two holes. He let us know they were told to pick up after par was reached, and then we got back to pace.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 11:54:59 AM »
ban practice swings altogether, kneeling behind the ball to line up putts, etc.  walk up to the ball, take your friggin shot and move on!  I suck at the game, but have no patience for players as bad as me acting like theyre in the masters.  Every stroke should count-practice or not.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 12:08:48 PM »
There should V6 engines in golf carts. People should stop wasting time looking for their ball. Drive straight from the tee for 10 secs, drop a ball, hit it without watching where it goes, drive, drop, hit, drive, 1 putt.

Wait until you are off the 18th green before marking 3's on the scorecard for each hole. Go straight to your car without stopping at the bar and go home.

18 holes in about 25 minutes.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 12:09:08 PM »
I like it for the PGA tour.     Just hit the ball guys.    You know the exact yardage, exact carry, wind conditions.    Hit the ball.   
For weekend golfers:
Don't start drinking until after the round.
Pick up your putt for an 8.    Don't plum bob it.
Play the appropriate tees for your game. 
Keep extra tees, balls, ball repair tools in your pocket.   
Take a lesson.
Play ready golf. 
If you have good yardage numbers, share them freely and quickly. 
No more than two practice swings.     Take them while your playing companions are playing their shots so you can step right up and hit. 
If you are playing a golf cart-only course and are restricted to cart paths, take multiple clubs with you to the ball.     
Then hit one more than you think you need.   
Don't stand there tellling awesome stories while the group behind you waits.   
If you are unwilling to do any of these things, use proper ettiquette and allow faster groups to play through.   

In Great Britain, they consider carts and rounds that take more than 3 hours heresy.    American golf architecture is frequently not walker friendly.    Walk whenever you can anyway.   I know that I can walk a round in 2:45 easily.    Now that I, and most of my friends are in our 50's, fewer want to walk. (I like to mock their age and infirmity, but they don't care)  But I know that my favorite foursome, with no one in front of us, can play 18 in 3:20 routinely.   

« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 12:16:10 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 01:40:41 PM »
What they need is a pitch clock in baseball.

Maybe make it like chess, where the clock stops after each pitch.  Warming up a new pitcher in the middle of an inning and trips to the mound count against the clock.
Have some patience, FFS.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 01:44:26 PM »
Tower

Spot on. I agree with everything you noted. I would play a lot more golf if weekend golfers followed your advice. It is hard enough to focus for four hours, but playing behind idiots makes it unbearable. I really miss country club golf.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 02:20:31 PM »
I don't play golf on weekends, unless it is an outing.  5 hour rounds are one of the few things in all the world that make me homicidal.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 02:22:40 PM »
Then ya see guys with their extended ball scoopers out at the water hazards lookin for pro v’s or sitting there eye’in up the beverage cart babe ordering up brewskis thinking they got a chance...

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2018, 02:24:44 PM »
I don't play golf on weekends, unless it is an outing.  5 hour rounds are one of the few things in all the world that make me homicidal.

The legends clubs adhere to the 4 hour rule and not a minute longer, week days or weekends.  I remember takin the turn at 2:02 and the ranger-rob told us to pick it up

🏀

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 03:47:17 PM »
Carts massively slow down the game.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2018, 04:03:44 PM »
Yes and no.  Golf architecture makes carts a requirement sometimes.   Age contributes.  Without carts, some courses would be impossible.  The able bodied should walk whenever possible.   But some people treat golf as an excuse to drink, and carts are much better than carry bags to transport beer.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2018, 04:07:07 PM »

You aint ever seen me golf.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2018, 04:20:51 PM »

You ain't never seen me drive a golf cart.
Have some patience, FFS.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2018, 05:12:20 PM »

Even if you're crap, a cart slows you down.

Yes and no.  Golf architecture makes carts a requirement sometimes.   Age contributes.  Without carts, some courses would be impossible.  The able bodied should walk whenever possible.   But some people treat golf as an excuse to drink, and carts are much better than carry bags to transport beer.

Excuse to drink, excuse to worry about music, excuse to watch everyone's shots, ugh, it's just the worst.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2018, 09:07:28 PM »
I was a 3x per week golfer who basically quit because it just takes too long.  When I lived in England, a long round was 3 hours.  That was great (of course, there's rarely 3 full hours between rain showers, so English golf still sucks) timing wise.  On an empty course, alone, I can play two balls and finish 18 walking with a caddy in 2.5 hours.  I despise 5 hour buggy rounds. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2018, 09:11:24 PM »
I essentially gave up the game about 5-10 years ago.  I was never any good and I found myself more frustrated than relaxed.  Much rather ski and I'm still halfway decent.  Although it has been several years since that watershed moment when the kid 'passed me by' and accidentally left me for dead in the pow at 10,500 feet at Alta. 'Dad, what happened?'  (Didn't mean to hijack, just like that story.)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2018, 05:03:40 AM »
I essentially gave up the game about 5-10 years ago.  I was never any good and I found myself more frustrated than relaxed.  Much rather ski and I'm still halfway decent.  Although it has been several years since that watershed moment when the kid 'passed me by' and accidentally left me for dead in the pow at 10,500 feet at Alta. 'Dad, what happened?'  (Didn't mean to hijack, just like that story.)

there ya go...us golfers would never pass by a fellow golfer in dire straits...unless he was the duffer holding us up leading to the dreaded 5 hour round

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2018, 06:32:40 AM »
there ya go...us golfers would never pass by a fellow golfer in dire straits...unless he was the duffer holding us up leading to the dreaded 5 hour round

Not to overdo this but I didn't leave the incorrect impression.  Passed me by in ability.  He was actually skiing ahead of me on the run and I foolishly tried to follow.   :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 02:47:59 PM by jsglow »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2018, 07:51:49 AM »

I find this curious .. why would you think that?   

In my youth, I never used a cart .. older, especially with son(s) learning the game, I find having a cart is vital, as they spray their shots all over the place, so having a vehicle that transports them (and me) all over the place saves a crapton of time. ... Not to mention speedier lost-ball searches.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2018, 09:31:23 AM »
2 bad golfers in a cart together or even two average golfers on a tough course together in a cart or one lazy golfer in a cart slows down the game.  When you walk, you go directly to your ball.  Don't need to worry about the other players and don't need to be driven 250m in the wrong direction while your buddy fishes his ball out of the crick he sliced his into while you need to find your hook in the woods on the other side. 

When I must play with a cart, I use it to get to my drive, take a handful of clubs, and walk the rest of the hole. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."