[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Anthony Bourdain  (Read 9776 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Anthony Bourdain
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2018, 03:55:30 PM »
I think you squared yourself up and I apologize if I'm not communicating effectively enough.  There are NO outs for the insurance company for any reason once any policy matures past the 1-2 year 'contestable' period meaning 1-2 years after the insurance went in force.  They can't even complain.  Immediately thrown out of court, by law.  Only during the initial period can they raise an objection, and then are only successful when there's been a demonstrated fraud.  You simply don't see 5 year old policies tied up in court, ever, for any reason.  Families often need that money so that's the reason these laws exist.

thank you for that, BUT, within that 1-2 years, if the insurance company thinks fraud has been committed...that's where i'm wondering.  do they pay you, then investigate if they think there's a problem, that could cause the policy beneficiary to lawyer up$$$  if they find no wrong doing, what?  oopsie-sorry? 
don't...don't don't don't don't

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2018, 03:58:18 PM »

We're heading for a time when coverage for mental health will be a luxury for the rich. And those that take low income or free patients will be too overwhelmed. So, that's nice.

What's new? We're headed that way on basic care.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2018, 04:04:01 PM »
You are a real piece of work.

He's a charmer isn't he? :-\

The only person on the entirety of Scoop that I would never want to meet under any circumstances.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2018, 04:08:02 PM »
He's a charmer isn't he? :-\

The only person on the entirety of Scoop that I would never want to meet under any circumstances.

Brandi, it's gonna happen.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2018, 04:54:25 PM »
thank you for that, BUT, within that 1-2 years, if the insurance company thinks fraud has been committed...that's where i'm wondering.  do they pay you, then investigate if they think there's a problem, that could cause the policy beneficiary to lawyer up$$$  if they find no wrong doing, what?  oopsie-sorry?

It is very rare for insurance companies to deny a claim unless there is very obvious fraud, and even then, they aren't always successful.

My relative told a story of an insured person who died of a heart attack a few months after a policy was put in place.  He had claimed in his application that he had no history of heart disease, when in fact, he had recently undergone bypass surgery.  His widow claimed that he had "forgotten" about it.

The insurance company denied the claim, and she sued.  It went to trial, and all the jury saw was a  grieving widow and a big, evil insurance company.  She got her money.
Have some patience, FFS.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2018, 05:03:03 PM »
It is very rare for insurance companies to deny a claim unless there is very obvious fraud, and even then, they aren't always successful.

My relative told a story of an insured person who died of a heart attack a few months after a policy was put in place.  He had claimed in his application that he had no history of heart disease, when in fact, he had recently undergone bypass surgery.  His widow claimed that he had "forgotten" about it.

The insurance company denied the claim, and she sued.  It went to trial, and all the jury saw was a  grieving widow and a big, evil insurance company.  She got her money.

Naive.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2018, 05:16:51 PM »
In before the lock!

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2018, 05:39:39 PM »

That's exactly the window when they'll investigate the heck out of it and seek judicially to deny the claim.  They won't pay it if they think there's been fraud.  Legal action will follow and the claim will be adjudicated.  My father was an expert witness in such cases which is actually why I know what the heck I'm talking about.  On any 'old' policy, they simply pay the claim.  They have to.  All circumstances, regardless.   :)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2018, 05:43:15 PM »
And never been married. The Legend

Does his mail order bride from Cuba count?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2018, 05:50:23 PM »
And as to the suicide clause, it's simple protection for insurance companies against the moral hazard issue of purchasing a life insurance policy immediately before committing the act.  Again, each individual state will have regulations limiting its applicable length.  I assume, but am not certain, that the limit likely mirrors the applicable contestability timeframe.

Look guys, I'm not researching any of this.  I simply know all this stuff because my father was the executive underwriter for a major MKE Life Insurance company for 40 years.  It came up in conversation at the dinner table sometimes in lieu of Packers/Brewers/Warriors, mkay.  If you find a tidbit where I'm off a little I really don't care.

Hopefully you all know a little more about life insurance now.   :) 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 06:04:50 PM by jsglow »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2018, 06:08:12 PM »
I assume, but am not certain, that the limit likely mirrors the applicable contestability timeframe.

Then why would there be a separate clause? Good grief.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2018, 06:45:03 PM »
I think most of you guys/gals know I have twins (now 8 years old). After they were born, I started to really struggle with life. Not just the duties of a new parent, but even two years after they were born, just going through a work day was rough. I knew something was off but didn’t want to admit it to anyone. Finally my wife convinced me to talk to my doctor, and I was diagnosed with post partum depression. To this day, I’m glad my wife told me to speak up, and it was really hard to admit I needed help, but help was what I needed.

thanks for the personal story dish-the thing is, it's usually those who you are closest to, are the ones who note the changes in the personality.  depression is a dark, lonely hole.  picture the worst hangover you've ever had without the headache, vomiting, dry mouth etc.  many try to to cover it up or self treat it with drugs and/or drinking.  eventually the side Effects of the "self medication" overcome any of the positive Affects on the depression.   the body, most times is deficient or there is an imbalance in the ever so important neural-transmitters in our brains. finding the right anti-depressant to restore a balance is a huge step toward recovery.  many times, this needs to be fortified with some other forms of therapy. 

we need-more psychiatrists, psychologists,
                less stigma on the illness and less stigma on the necessity for medication
                      too often we hear-i hate taking pills/i'm not a pill taker or
                             the patient either starts to feel better, so they stop taking the meds.  these meds are not like taking an aspirin and you feel the affects within an hour.  they sometimes take a number of days or even weeks to BEGIN to work

this board has very often discussed issues from which we can draw empathy, inspiration, motivation or just an awareness and life experience such as dish's that may help someone else-i may not have said anything here that many may not already know, but this is what i have experienced myself,  a few short years ago.  it was only during the comfort of a visit with my doc that i was able to tell my wife that there were times that i felt "not right".  i trusted my doc and my wife; after 3 or 4 different combinations of meds over the course of a year or so, i turned to my doc and my wife and said-this is the one!!!  life has never been better guys/girls.  i have seen suicide too close and more often than anyone should have to-the fall out is from hell.  take notice of those close to you-it doesn't hurt to ask someone if they feel the need to harm themselves.
 you are not planting any thoughts in their heads that they may already have. you could save their life without even realizing...God bless

don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2018, 07:50:13 PM »
There is a famous (actually infamous) case here in the Charlotte area of a guy who ran a Ponzi scheme for years. Bilked hundreds of people - including athletes, business leaders, etc - out of big, big money.

The Feds were closing in on him and he committed suicide.

His wife got paid millions by his life-insurance company, and most of that money is being used to pay off the clients who got bilked by the scheme.

So I don't know the rules and the technicalities, but I can say with 100% certainty that in this case, the insurance company paid after the guy committed suicide.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article210792949.html

Investors who lost millions in a Ponzi scheme operated by the late Charlotte businessman Rick Siskey appear to be closer to getting some of their money back.

Three key parties in the case said in a letter this week that they are close to a "comprehensive settlement" that includes an interim payout of $15 million. The money would come from life insurance proceeds that Siskey's widow, Diane, received after his death.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2018, 01:48:55 PM »
Jockey

My guess is you would be high on a number of folks list of scoopers you never want to meet. Not exactly why you find the need to say some of the things you say.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2018, 05:17:23 PM »
Jockey

My guess is you would be high on a number of folks list of scoopers you never want to meet. Not exactly why you find the need to say some of the things you say.

Goose,

As long as you give JayBee a pass for his comments about me - including making threats, I guess your comment makes sense.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2018, 06:12:28 PM »
Goose,

As long as you give JayBee a pass for his comments about me - including making threats, I guess your comment makes sense.

But you are ok calling my son a pig.   

You should move to Flin Flon if it is so painful here. 

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2018, 08:14:57 PM »
But you are ok calling my son a pig.   

You should move to Flin Flon if it is so painful here.

That is untrue. I called out the cops who assaulted Sterling Brown.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2018, 09:36:16 PM »
This thread is a microcosm of scoop itself. And that is in no way remotely near a compliment.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2018, 09:43:13 PM »
This thread is a microcosm of scoop itself. And that is in no way remotely near a compliment.

Oh yeah?

YOU'RE no way remotely near a compliment!

Take that!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2018, 12:40:13 AM »
You should move to Flin Flon

I googled. Then I lol'd. Harsh!

At least, people in Canada are polite  8-)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2018, 07:45:33 AM »
I stared into the abyss during my teen and early adult years.  Was fortunate to grow out of it.   I can still hear the demons whispering from time to time.   I have learned my triggers and non-pharmaceutical ways out. 

Just an example of how times have changed, I had a high school class where we journaled.   I wrote some stuff from a very dark place.   My parents were informed and they chewed me out for writing that stuff down.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2018, 07:53:48 AM »
CNN had an hour long show on Bourdain last night, mostly the perspective of his CNN co-workers but also various clips from his shows. 

MU82, I second the idea that I think you'd like it a lot.  His shows really weren't about food, that was just the medium.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2018, 09:41:36 AM »
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2018, 04:31:21 PM »
I stared into the abyss during my teen and early adult years.  Was fortunate to grow out of it.   I can still hear the demons whispering from time to time.   I have learned my triggers and non-pharmaceutical ways out. 

Just an example of how times have changed, I had a high school class where we journaled.   I wrote some stuff from a very dark place.   My parents were informed and they chewed me out for writing that stuff down.

Chick and I lost a very close friend to what he/she referred to as the 'black dog'.  One of the harded phone calls we've ever received.  You take it easy tower.  And IM most anyone here if you ever need to be reminded what a loser you actually are.   :)

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2018, 04:36:53 PM »
Chick and I lost a very close friend to what he/she referred to as the 'black dog'.  One of the harded phone calls we've ever received.  You take it easy tower.  And IM most anyone here if you ever need to be reminded what a loser you actually are.   :)

Yeah, we'll give you something to cry about.   :-*

Seriously, though, you are a person who can have a real George Bailey moment now.  Think of all the lives that were saved because you decided to hang around.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 04:38:59 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback