[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Anthony Bourdain  (Read 9777 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Anthony Bourdain
« on: June 08, 2018, 08:35:51 AM »
Dead at 61

Truly sad that so many think suicide is the only answer.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 08:47:56 AM by BagpipingHurler »
Maigh Eo for Sam

MUBurrow

• All American
Re: Anthony Bourdain
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 08:58:09 AM »
Saw this in a tweet today and thought it summed it up:

"Anthony Bourdain had one of the only shows on tv that tried with all its might to teach Americans not to be scared of other people."

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 09:32:47 AM »
RIP
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 10:04:36 AM »
Horrible and tragic.  And just another example of how deep this stuff can be.  Too many people cant comprehend why the rich/successful/famous can struggle with depression just like anyone else.  RIP to a truly creative man.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 11:06:57 AM »
Very sad to see the news. Very much enjoyed his show, and became a fan of him as a person.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 11:07:54 AM »
Horrible and tragic.  And just another example of how deep this stuff can be.  Too many people cant comprehend why the rich/successful/famous can struggle with depression just like anyone else.  RIP to a truly creative man.

Because mental illness remains a closeted disease.  We've all got to work on that.  Make it a priority.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 02:06:14 PM »
Those suffering from suicidal ideation are fighting a daily war....a war that is lost if they lose a single battle. Glow is right, too many try to endure this alone....and not enough of us reach out to others to help.

Oddly enough, the CDC released this report this morning: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/67/wr/mm6722a1.htm?s_cid=mm6722a1_w. We were talking about it in my office when we heard the news.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 03:09:56 PM »
There's a house in the neighborhood that has had 7 suicide attempts between H&W. Tough stuff.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 03:30:06 PM »
Never once saw his show or read his books. I knew the name, just as I know the name of other celebrities whose work I have never sampled. He could have rung my doorbell, and I wouldn't have known who he was when I opened the door.

I wish he weren't dead. I wish nobody committed suicide. But I am not "sad." I was sad when my mom died and my dad died and just recently when a friend of mine died. Just because a person is a celebrity, he or she doesn't "deserve" extra sadness from us. I was a lot sadder when my best friend died than when Lady Di died.

Sorry if all that sounds callous, and I know folks are just trying to have a conversation here. But famous people are just people. It is no "sadder" when they die.

I'm not saying any of y'all are like this, but there are people more sad when a celebrity they've never met - a man or woman who might have been a d-bag who told them to go to hell - than when people they actually knew died. It's weird.

I tend to feel sadder for the unknowns - like I remember feeling sad about the guy who died in the plane crash with Payne Stewart. Millions didn't mourn him.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 04:38:10 PM »
One of my friends made a great point.

It wasn't that long ago that people would whisper about cancer.

Imagine if we could make the same progress in regards to discussing mental health.
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 04:45:43 PM »
Everybody dies.  What does a person do in life?  Did they try to make the world better?  Did they build up or tear down?  Were they a giver or a taker?   Did they love themselves more than others or others more than self?  Is there something to be learned from how they lived or how they died?
  Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.   Ask for help.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 05:05:42 PM »
Never once saw his show or read his books. I knew the name, just as I know the name of other celebrities whose work I have never sampled. He could have rung my doorbell, and I wouldn't have known who he was when I opened the door.

I wish he weren't dead. I wish nobody committed suicide. But I am not "sad." I was sad when my mom died and my dad died and just recently when a friend of mine died. Just because a person is a celebrity, he or she doesn't "deserve" extra sadness from us. I was a lot sadder when my best friend died than when Lady Di died.

Sorry if all that sounds callous, and I know folks are just trying to have a conversation here. But famous people are just people. It is no "sadder" when they die.

I'm not saying any of y'all are like this, but there are people more sad when a celebrity they've never met - a man or woman who might have been a d-bag who told them to go to hell - than when people they actually knew died. It's weird.

I tend to feel sadder for the unknowns - like I remember feeling sad about the guy who died in the plane crash with Payne Stewart. Millions didn't mourn him.

With all respect MU82, thats kind of unfair.  You just said you had no clue who he was and now are attempting to police other's grief who clearly enjoyed his myriad contributions to popular culture and the food world.  Would you be "more sad" about the death of a friend than a random who lived in your neighborhood?  Yes, cause that friend added something to your life.  That friend could have been a real jerk to many people, but he was your friend and you appreciated what he added to your life.

Now is it sad when people react stronger to a celebrity dying than those close to them?  Sure, thats some misguided priorities.  But acting like people cant feel sadness for losing someone who provided something to their lives, be it a TV show they loved, a book they read, songs and albums they listen to over and over, thats more than callous to me, its frankly kind of demeaning.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 05:12:28 PM »

MU82

First of all, I am sorry for your recent loss. That is never an easy thing and I wish you peace. That said, I don't know anyone who would be sadder over a celebrity than a close loved one. I do, however, know people who have had genuine emotional responses when someone whom they have never met dies. It's not unusual, in my opinion. A writer/actor/musician/etc. can have tremendous impact on your life without you ever having to meet that person face-to-face. For example, I had a real, visceral reaction when Robin Williams died. I never met him but I don't think it's weird at all that I "miss" him. Just my perspective.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 05:16:47 PM »

Generally I agree with you. I don't follow celebrities and really don't care for their beliefs or death or what have you. I feel like this is different due to his show. Something it taught me was each person has a story worth telling about their life and that far and wide we are not all that different despite looking for more reasons to dislike everyone. Am I sad? No, today was like any other day there was no hole in my heart but I think it's a shame that someone who was so committed to showing us true daily life and culture for so many around the world is gone.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 05:45:05 PM »
The fact a fellow human being struggled with a mental illness to the point he or she saw death as preferable to enduring life as they experienced it is sad, whether you know that person or not.
The fact a fellow human being could not find the treatment, support, resources or whatever else might have been necessary to overcome - or at least accept - the illness is sad, whether you know the person or not.
And the fact we lost a person who contributed to the culture , and for many made living on this planet a better experience, is sad, whether you know that person or not.
Of course it's weird to grieve more for an unknown celebrity than a member of one's won family. But there's nothing wrong with grieving someone who made some impact on your life, regardless of how small or trivial, or whether you knew the person or not.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2018, 06:02:46 PM »

Gotta say that, generally, I agree with you. I am sad only in the same way I am sad whenever anyone dies unnecessarily. I took the heat for expressing that just as you have here.

But, his was a show that I think you would really enjoy. I think we have pretty similar views about people in this world and how we should treat others. Food was ostensibly what the shows were about but in reality they were about people and what all of us want in life and treating everyone with respect.

Give a couple shows a try (on Netflix) - I think you will get a lot out of them.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2018, 07:08:33 PM »
Bourdain was a unique individual who brought a level of punk rock and poetry to an area (food) that is too often full of vanilla characters (Bobby Flay, anyone?). If you don't know who he is, try reading his very first essay he wrote for the New Yorker back in 1999: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1999/04/19/dont-eat-before-reading-this. Of brunch culture, he writes, "Nothing demoralizes an aspiring Escoffier faster than requiring him to cook egg-white omelettes or eggs over easy with bacon. You can dress brunch up with all the focaccia, smoked salmon, and caviar in the world, but it’s still breakfast." Eggs are eggs, aren't they?

In the end, Bourdain revolutionized travel and eating journalism just around the time those two things merged - and then exploded - in the popular culture. His pieces, whether in writing or in his shows, were thought-provoking, contrarian, and always soulful. Few people try and even fewer succeed in delivering to the world those qualities. He did both. May we all be so lucky.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2018, 07:54:02 PM »
Several of you made very good points. And though I really felt I wasn't trying to claim that anybody here doesn't have a right to feel whatever you feel, I probably expressed myself poorly.

I apologize, and I'll check out of this thread now so those who feel sorrow from this loss can commiserate together.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2018, 09:10:58 PM »
Want to start to turn around mental health care? Needs 2 things. A cultural change in our approach to discussion/acknowledgement - which has improved significantly in the last few decades. And insurance for that care - which is going the opposite way.

We're heading for a time when coverage for mental health will be a luxury for the rich. And those that take low income or free patients will be too overwhelmed. So, that's nice.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2018, 10:15:54 PM »
Want to start to turn around mental health care? Needs 2 things. A cultural change in our approach to discussion/acknowledgement - which has improved significantly in the last few decades. And insurance for that care - which is going the opposite way.

We're heading for a time when coverage for mental health will be a luxury for the rich. And those that take low income or free patients will be too overwhelmed. So, that's nice.

There is also a massive shortage of psychiatrists in the US as well.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2018, 10:49:08 PM »
I think most of you guys/gals know I have twins (now 8 years old). After they were born, I started to really struggle with life. Not just the duties of a new parent, but even two years after they were born, just going through a work day was rough. I knew something was off but didn’t want to admit it to anyone. Finally my wife convinced me to talk to my doctor, and I was diagnosed with post partum depression. To this day, I’m glad my wife told me to speak up, and it was really hard to admit I needed help, but help was what I needed.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2018, 11:15:15 PM »
I think most of you guys/gals know I have twins (now 8 years old). After they were born, I started to really struggle with life. Not just the duties of a new parent, but even two years after they were born, just going through a work day was rough. I knew something was off but didn’t want to admit it to anyone. Finally my wife convinced me to talk to my doctor, and I was diagnosed with post partum depression. To this day, I’m glad my wife told me to speak up, and it was really hard to admit I needed help, but help was what I needed.

Thank you for sharing your story, Dish.

I was in therapy as a middle-schooler.  My family had moved to a new city, and I was having trouble making friends and was getting seriously bullied at my new school.  Thank goodness my mom checked the box next to "cries a lot" when filling out the forms at the pediatricians's office.  Not surprisingly for the time, my parents told me not to tell anyone that I was seeing a therapist.

The father-in-law of one of my closest friends took his own life after suffering from depression for half a century. At the funeral, his wife insisted that everyone stick to the story that he died of a heart attack.

We will not get rid of the stigma until we get rid of the shame.

Have some patience, FFS.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2018, 05:14:37 AM »

I was in therapy as a middle-schooler.  My family had moved to a new city, and I was having trouble making friends and was getting seriously bullied at my new school.  Thank goodness my mom checked the box next to "cries a lot" when filling out the forms at the pediatricians's office.  Not surprisingly for the time, my parents told me not to tell anyone that I was seeing a therapist.

The father-in-law of one of my closest friends took his own life after suffering from depression for half a century. At the funeral, his wife insisted that everyone stick to the story that he died of a heart attack.

...or the guilt that we could of have done something, anything to prevent it. I know the heartache of losing a child though not to suicide; but when you lose someone to suicide it just compounds the loss where one can find it almost impossible to find joy in life. We must support the survivors as well.

Here is a ranking by state of suicides.

https://pjmedia.com/trending/alaska-utah-top-list-of-states-with-highest-suicide-rates/

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2018, 09:43:15 AM »
There is also a massive shortage of psychiatrists in the US as well.

I serve on the Board of a faith based non-for-profit community mental health center.  We will take patients regardless of insurance and income status.  Many clients are on Medicaid.  Funding from the state is pathetic because the legislature has other priorities closely aligned with their special interests.  We survive on philanthropy.  We are staffed with many highly qualified and dedicated therapists but we struggle to staff psychiatrists because they want Frasier Crane money and are not interested in working in a community mental health center.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2018, 09:52:22 AM »

I occasionally give motivational/key note speeches to young professionals in science.  I remember the first time where I talked about suffering from debilitating panic attacks, and frequent depression, afterwards I had person after person coming up to me telling me how brave it was to admit this, and how much they appreciated me talking about my own challenges.  This surprised me.

I viewed these issues as part of whom I am, they have both made me a stronger person, and better at what I do. I was shocked that it could be "brave," as I had thought/hoped that we had gotten beyond the stigma associated with such issues. 

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2018, 10:29:16 AM »

I think it may void some life insurance policies so some of it may not be stigma.
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2018, 10:50:20 AM »
I think it may void some life insurance policies so some of it may not be stigma.

If you are referring to my friend's dad, his death certificate would have made it obvious that it was not a heart attack.

Also, I am not so sure that suicide voids life insurance policies any more, especially in cases where there is a history of mental illness.
Have some patience, FFS.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2018, 11:12:49 AM »
If you are referring to my friend's dad, his death certificate would have made it obvious that it was not a heart attack.

Also, I am not so sure that suicide voids life insurance policies any more, especially in cases where there is a history of mental illness.

You should be sure. Many policies are void upon suicide; some within x years from initial effective date. You know better.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2018, 11:39:10 AM »
You should be sure. Many policies are void upon suicide; some within x years from initial effective date. You know better.
[/quote

In any case, the situation I was talking about had nothing to do with life insurance.

I also have a relative who was head of underwriting for a major life insurance company with whom I have had many conversations about this type of thing, so I do know a thing or two about what's covered and what's not.
Have some patience, FFS.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2018, 11:46:56 AM »
In any case, the situation I was talking about had nothing to do with life insurance.

I also have a relative who was head of underwriting for a major life insurance company with whom I have had many conversations about this type of thing, so I do know a thing or two about what's covered and what's not.

Who gives a crap about your relatives or a different topic. You said that you were not so sure that suicide voids life insurance policies any more. I told to you to be sure. Remember dis.....?

smh

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2018, 11:51:01 AM »
Who gives a crap about your relatives or a different topic. You said that you were not so sure that suicide voids life insurance policies any more. I told to you to be sure. Remember dis.....?

smh

You are a real piece of work.
Have some patience, FFS.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2018, 12:14:13 PM »

Excuse me JB?  There's a provision within all life insurance policies called the contestability period, one or two years depending on individual state law.  That's the period of time when the insurance carrier can successfully void the policy, typically over outright fraud in the original application process.  Once that contestability period passes and death occurs, there is no basis whatsoever for failing to pay out the claim under any circumstances.  End of story.  Thank you.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2018, 01:03:13 PM »
Excuse me JB?  There's a provision within all life insurance policies called the contestability period, one or two years depending on individual state law.  That's the period of time when the insurance carrier can successfully void the policy, typically over outright fraud in the original application process.  Once that contestability period passes and death occurs, there is no basis whatsoever for failing to pay out the claim under any circumstances.  End of story.  Thank you.

Huh? Are you claiming that there is one to two years where all claims are invalid... essentially a waiting period? No, we're talking about a specific issue. What chick said was dead wrong, simple as that.

No matter who her relatives are, she was just wrong. Sorry. End of story. Thank you.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2018, 01:20:25 PM »
Huh? Are you claiming that there is one to two years where all claims are invalid... essentially a waiting period? No, we're talking about a specific issue. What chick said was dead wrong, simple as that.

No matter who her relatives are, she was just wrong. Sorry. End of story. Thank you.

Reading matters JB.  During the first 1-2 years of a life insurance policy payout can be contested by the insurance company following the death of the insured.  This is typically only successful after a lengthy court battle where the burden will be on the insurance company to demonstrate that the applicant defrauded them in the application process.  After that, the insurance company has exactly zero recourse and must pay under all circumstances in every case where death is properly established, as determined by court, if necessary. (Think of the film Cast Away for a possible scenario.)    That's despite any malfeasance by the insured at any point in the process.  Including fraud.  By law.  In every state.  The purpose of these laws are to clarify that 'life insurance pays out at death, no question, no option'.  The only carve out to that absolute is the contestability period I described.  Thank you for allowing me to educate you on the subject.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 01:55:57 PM by jsglow »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2018, 02:26:38 PM »
Reading matters JB.  During the first 1-2 years of a life insurance policy payout can be contested by the insurance company following the death of the insured.  This is typically only successful after a lengthy court battle where the burden will be on the insurance company to demonstrate that the applicant defrauded them in the application process.  After that, the insurance company has exactly zero recourse and must pay under all circumstances in every case where death is properly established, as determined by court, if necessary. (Think of the film Cast Away for a possible scenario.)    That's despite any malfeasance by the insured at any point in the process.  Including fraud.  By law.  In every state.  The purpose of these laws are to clarify that 'life insurance pays out at death, no question, no option'.  The only carve out to that absolute is the contestability period I described.  Thank you for allowing me to educate you on the subject.

lol. Wifey was DEAD WRONG. Sorry, dude.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2018, 02:58:19 PM »

JB, chili says you're a nice guy.  Let it go.  I simply gave you the facts.  Have a great day.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2018, 03:06:29 PM »
JB, chili says you're a nice guy.  Let it go.  I simply gave you the facts.  Have a great day.

All the best to you and chick!

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2018, 03:08:08 PM »
You’re all a bunch o’ nerds. 😜

Get me some popcorn 🍿

Cage match. The Accountant v The Accountant.   

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2018, 03:10:22 PM »
BTW, Glow is correct. We had an EE commit suicide (in his 20’s). Policy paid.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2018, 03:24:11 PM »
4 wives, eh?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2018, 03:26:06 PM »
4 wives, eh?

And never been married. The Legend

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2018, 03:29:22 PM »
  so now i'm confused and/or peeved at the same time-so life insurance pays out at the time of death, but then has up to 2 years to contest it? 

nice, my wife gets the payout on a policy i've dutifully paid for x years, but then ends up spending that and who knows how much more quite possibly on legal fees defending my death?

please tell me that's wrong
don't...don't don't don't don't

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2018, 03:32:18 PM »
Wrong

After two yeArs from issue, it can’t be contested

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2018, 03:33:16 PM »
4 wives, eh?

Welcome to the internet, haynar?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2018, 03:38:11 PM »
Wrong

After two yeArs from issue, it can’t be contested

thanks-i just googled it-if one commits suicide within 1-2 years(depending on the policy lingo) the ins. policy can be void.  however, can the ins. co. be dicks and hold up the policy if they want to raise questions within that say, 2 year period?  one may need an attorney, yes?  can the policy holder's beneficiary get their attorney fees back if/when the insured has been found to have died within the policy's guidelines?

btw-just removed a 7.5 lb brisket and 3 racks of ribs from ole smokey-i know, wrong thread ;) ;) ;)

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2018, 03:42:36 PM »

A simple internet search says you are wrong and Chick/Glow are right. 

http://time.com/money/3117698/how-life-insurance-policies-deal-with-suicide/

Pretty much confirms 100% of what they were saying.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2018, 03:46:56 PM »

Nope, completely wrong. Read.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2018, 03:47:20 PM »

i think this is what jay bee is contesting-

" I am not so sure that suicide voids life insurance policies any more, especially in cases where there is a history of mental illness."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2018, 03:48:22 PM »
  so now i'm confused and/or peeved at the same time-so life insurance pays out at the time of death, but then has up to 2 years to contest it? 

nice, my wife gets the payout on a policy i've dutifully paid for x years, but then ends up spending that and who knows how much more quite possibly on legal fees defending my death?

please tell me that's wrong

I think you squared yourself up and I apologize if I'm not communicating effectively enough.  There are NO outs for the insurance company for any reason once any policy matures past the 1-2 year 'contestable' period meaning 1-2 years after the insurance went in force.  They can't even complain.  Immediately thrown out of court, by law.  Only during the initial period can they raise an objection, and then are only successful when there's been a demonstrated fraud.  You simply don't see 5 year old policies tied up in court, ever, for any reason.  Families often need that money so that's the reason these laws exist.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2018, 03:50:49 PM »
I think you squared yourself up and I apologize if I'm not communicating effectively enough.  There are NO outs for the insurance company for any reason once any policy matures past the 1-2 year 'contestable' period meaning 1-2 years after the insurance went in force.  They can't even complain.  Immediately thrown out of court, by law.  Only during the initial period can they raise an objection, and then are only successful when there's been a demonstrated fraud.  You simply don't see 5 year old policies tied up in court, ever, for any reason.  Families often need that money so that's the reason these laws exist.

Bud, you're missing things. Good luck. It'll be OK

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2018, 03:55:30 PM »

thank you for that, BUT, within that 1-2 years, if the insurance company thinks fraud has been committed...that's where i'm wondering.  do they pay you, then investigate if they think there's a problem, that could cause the policy beneficiary to lawyer up$$$  if they find no wrong doing, what?  oopsie-sorry? 

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2018, 03:58:18 PM »

What's new? We're headed that way on basic care.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2018, 04:04:01 PM »
You are a real piece of work.

He's a charmer isn't he? :-\

The only person on the entirety of Scoop that I would never want to meet under any circumstances.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2018, 04:08:02 PM »
He's a charmer isn't he? :-\

The only person on the entirety of Scoop that I would never want to meet under any circumstances.

Brandi, it's gonna happen.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2018, 04:54:25 PM »
thank you for that, BUT, within that 1-2 years, if the insurance company thinks fraud has been committed...that's where i'm wondering.  do they pay you, then investigate if they think there's a problem, that could cause the policy beneficiary to lawyer up$$$  if they find no wrong doing, what?  oopsie-sorry?

It is very rare for insurance companies to deny a claim unless there is very obvious fraud, and even then, they aren't always successful.

My relative told a story of an insured person who died of a heart attack a few months after a policy was put in place.  He had claimed in his application that he had no history of heart disease, when in fact, he had recently undergone bypass surgery.  His widow claimed that he had "forgotten" about it.

The insurance company denied the claim, and she sued.  It went to trial, and all the jury saw was a  grieving widow and a big, evil insurance company.  She got her money.
Have some patience, FFS.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2018, 05:03:03 PM »
It is very rare for insurance companies to deny a claim unless there is very obvious fraud, and even then, they aren't always successful.

My relative told a story of an insured person who died of a heart attack a few months after a policy was put in place.  He had claimed in his application that he had no history of heart disease, when in fact, he had recently undergone bypass surgery.  His widow claimed that he had "forgotten" about it.

The insurance company denied the claim, and she sued.  It went to trial, and all the jury saw was a  grieving widow and a big, evil insurance company.  She got her money.

Naive.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2018, 05:16:51 PM »
In before the lock!

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2018, 05:39:39 PM »

That's exactly the window when they'll investigate the heck out of it and seek judicially to deny the claim.  They won't pay it if they think there's been fraud.  Legal action will follow and the claim will be adjudicated.  My father was an expert witness in such cases which is actually why I know what the heck I'm talking about.  On any 'old' policy, they simply pay the claim.  They have to.  All circumstances, regardless.   :)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2018, 05:43:15 PM »
And never been married. The Legend

Does his mail order bride from Cuba count?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2018, 05:50:23 PM »
And as to the suicide clause, it's simple protection for insurance companies against the moral hazard issue of purchasing a life insurance policy immediately before committing the act.  Again, each individual state will have regulations limiting its applicable length.  I assume, but am not certain, that the limit likely mirrors the applicable contestability timeframe.

Look guys, I'm not researching any of this.  I simply know all this stuff because my father was the executive underwriter for a major MKE Life Insurance company for 40 years.  It came up in conversation at the dinner table sometimes in lieu of Packers/Brewers/Warriors, mkay.  If you find a tidbit where I'm off a little I really don't care.

Hopefully you all know a little more about life insurance now.   :) 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 06:04:50 PM by jsglow »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2018, 06:08:12 PM »
I assume, but am not certain, that the limit likely mirrors the applicable contestability timeframe.

Then why would there be a separate clause? Good grief.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2018, 06:45:03 PM »

thanks for the personal story dish-the thing is, it's usually those who you are closest to, are the ones who note the changes in the personality.  depression is a dark, lonely hole.  picture the worst hangover you've ever had without the headache, vomiting, dry mouth etc.  many try to to cover it up or self treat it with drugs and/or drinking.  eventually the side Effects of the "self medication" overcome any of the positive Affects on the depression.   the body, most times is deficient or there is an imbalance in the ever so important neural-transmitters in our brains. finding the right anti-depressant to restore a balance is a huge step toward recovery.  many times, this needs to be fortified with some other forms of therapy. 

we need-more psychiatrists, psychologists,
                less stigma on the illness and less stigma on the necessity for medication
                      too often we hear-i hate taking pills/i'm not a pill taker or
                             the patient either starts to feel better, so they stop taking the meds.  these meds are not like taking an aspirin and you feel the affects within an hour.  they sometimes take a number of days or even weeks to BEGIN to work

this board has very often discussed issues from which we can draw empathy, inspiration, motivation or just an awareness and life experience such as dish's that may help someone else-i may not have said anything here that many may not already know, but this is what i have experienced myself,  a few short years ago.  it was only during the comfort of a visit with my doc that i was able to tell my wife that there were times that i felt "not right".  i trusted my doc and my wife; after 3 or 4 different combinations of meds over the course of a year or so, i turned to my doc and my wife and said-this is the one!!!  life has never been better guys/girls.  i have seen suicide too close and more often than anyone should have to-the fall out is from hell.  take notice of those close to you-it doesn't hurt to ask someone if they feel the need to harm themselves.
 you are not planting any thoughts in their heads that they may already have. you could save their life without even realizing...God bless

MU82

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2018, 07:50:13 PM »
There is a famous (actually infamous) case here in the Charlotte area of a guy who ran a Ponzi scheme for years. Bilked hundreds of people - including athletes, business leaders, etc - out of big, big money.

The Feds were closing in on him and he committed suicide.

His wife got paid millions by his life-insurance company, and most of that money is being used to pay off the clients who got bilked by the scheme.

So I don't know the rules and the technicalities, but I can say with 100% certainty that in this case, the insurance company paid after the guy committed suicide.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article210792949.html

Investors who lost millions in a Ponzi scheme operated by the late Charlotte businessman Rick Siskey appear to be closer to getting some of their money back.

Three key parties in the case said in a letter this week that they are close to a "comprehensive settlement" that includes an interim payout of $15 million. The money would come from life insurance proceeds that Siskey's widow, Diane, received after his death.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2018, 01:48:55 PM »
Jockey

My guess is you would be high on a number of folks list of scoopers you never want to meet. Not exactly why you find the need to say some of the things you say.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2018, 05:17:23 PM »
Jockey

My guess is you would be high on a number of folks list of scoopers you never want to meet. Not exactly why you find the need to say some of the things you say.

Goose,

As long as you give JayBee a pass for his comments about me - including making threats, I guess your comment makes sense.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2018, 06:12:28 PM »
Goose,

As long as you give JayBee a pass for his comments about me - including making threats, I guess your comment makes sense.

But you are ok calling my son a pig.   

You should move to Flin Flon if it is so painful here. 

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2018, 08:14:57 PM »
But you are ok calling my son a pig.   

You should move to Flin Flon if it is so painful here.

That is untrue. I called out the cops who assaulted Sterling Brown.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2018, 09:36:16 PM »
This thread is a microcosm of scoop itself. And that is in no way remotely near a compliment.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2018, 09:43:13 PM »
This thread is a microcosm of scoop itself. And that is in no way remotely near a compliment.

Oh yeah?

YOU'RE no way remotely near a compliment!

Take that!

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2018, 12:40:13 AM »
You should move to Flin Flon

I googled. Then I lol'd. Harsh!

At least, people in Canada are polite  8-)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2018, 07:45:33 AM »
I stared into the abyss during my teen and early adult years.  Was fortunate to grow out of it.   I can still hear the demons whispering from time to time.   I have learned my triggers and non-pharmaceutical ways out. 

Just an example of how times have changed, I had a high school class where we journaled.   I wrote some stuff from a very dark place.   My parents were informed and they chewed me out for writing that stuff down.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2018, 07:53:48 AM »
CNN had an hour long show on Bourdain last night, mostly the perspective of his CNN co-workers but also various clips from his shows. 

MU82, I second the idea that I think you'd like it a lot.  His shows really weren't about food, that was just the medium.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2018, 09:41:36 AM »
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2018, 04:31:21 PM »
I stared into the abyss during my teen and early adult years.  Was fortunate to grow out of it.   I can still hear the demons whispering from time to time.   I have learned my triggers and non-pharmaceutical ways out. 

Just an example of how times have changed, I had a high school class where we journaled.   I wrote some stuff from a very dark place.   My parents were informed and they chewed me out for writing that stuff down.

Chick and I lost a very close friend to what he/she referred to as the 'black dog'.  One of the harded phone calls we've ever received.  You take it easy tower.  And IM most anyone here if you ever need to be reminded what a loser you actually are.   :)

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2018, 04:36:53 PM »
Chick and I lost a very close friend to what he/she referred to as the 'black dog'.  One of the harded phone calls we've ever received.  You take it easy tower.  And IM most anyone here if you ever need to be reminded what a loser you actually are.   :)

Yeah, we'll give you something to cry about.   :-*

Seriously, though, you are a person who can have a real George Bailey moment now.  Think of all the lives that were saved because you decided to hang around.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 04:38:59 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2018, 05:44:06 PM »
I have been fine for a long time.   The demon whispers never win.   Kind of like a holes on the  web.   Can't fix them, can't listen to them.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 05:54:08 PM by tower912 »