collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Anthony Bourdain  (Read 9768 times)

PBRme

• All American
Re: Anthony Bourdain
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2018, 10:29:16 AM »
Thank you for sharing your story, Dish.

I was in therapy as a middle-schooler.  My family had moved to a new city, and I was having trouble making friends and was getting seriously bullied at my new school.  Thank goodness my mom checked the box next to "cries a lot" when filling out the forms at the pediatricians's office.  Not surprisingly for the time, my parents told me not to tell anyone that I was seeing a therapist.

The father-in-law of one of my closest friends took his own life after suffering from depression for half a century. At the funeral, his wife insisted that everyone stick to the story that he died of a heart attack.

We will not get rid of the stigma until we get rid of the shame.

I think it may void some life insurance policies so some of it may not be stigma.
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2018, 10:50:20 AM »
I think it may void some life insurance policies so some of it may not be stigma.

If you are referring to my friend's dad, his death certificate would have made it obvious that it was not a heart attack.

Also, I am not so sure that suicide voids life insurance policies any more, especially in cases where there is a history of mental illness.
Have some patience, FFS.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2018, 11:12:49 AM »
If you are referring to my friend's dad, his death certificate would have made it obvious that it was not a heart attack.

Also, I am not so sure that suicide voids life insurance policies any more, especially in cases where there is a history of mental illness.

You should be sure. Many policies are void upon suicide; some within x years from initial effective date. You know better.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2018, 11:39:10 AM »
You should be sure. Many policies are void upon suicide; some within x years from initial effective date. You know better.
[/quote

In any case, the situation I was talking about had nothing to do with life insurance.

I also have a relative who was head of underwriting for a major life insurance company with whom I have had many conversations about this type of thing, so I do know a thing or two about what's covered and what's not.
Have some patience, FFS.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2018, 11:46:56 AM »
In any case, the situation I was talking about had nothing to do with life insurance.

I also have a relative who was head of underwriting for a major life insurance company with whom I have had many conversations about this type of thing, so I do know a thing or two about what's covered and what's not.

Who gives a crap about your relatives or a different topic. You said that you were not so sure that suicide voids life insurance policies any more. I told to you to be sure. Remember dis.....?

smh

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2018, 11:51:01 AM »
Who gives a crap about your relatives or a different topic. You said that you were not so sure that suicide voids life insurance policies any more. I told to you to be sure. Remember dis.....?

smh

You are a real piece of work.
Have some patience, FFS.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2018, 12:14:13 PM »

Excuse me JB?  There's a provision within all life insurance policies called the contestability period, one or two years depending on individual state law.  That's the period of time when the insurance carrier can successfully void the policy, typically over outright fraud in the original application process.  Once that contestability period passes and death occurs, there is no basis whatsoever for failing to pay out the claim under any circumstances.  End of story.  Thank you.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2018, 01:03:13 PM »
Excuse me JB?  There's a provision within all life insurance policies called the contestability period, one or two years depending on individual state law.  That's the period of time when the insurance carrier can successfully void the policy, typically over outright fraud in the original application process.  Once that contestability period passes and death occurs, there is no basis whatsoever for failing to pay out the claim under any circumstances.  End of story.  Thank you.

Huh? Are you claiming that there is one to two years where all claims are invalid... essentially a waiting period? No, we're talking about a specific issue. What chick said was dead wrong, simple as that.

No matter who her relatives are, she was just wrong. Sorry. End of story. Thank you.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2018, 01:20:25 PM »
Huh? Are you claiming that there is one to two years where all claims are invalid... essentially a waiting period? No, we're talking about a specific issue. What chick said was dead wrong, simple as that.

No matter who her relatives are, she was just wrong. Sorry. End of story. Thank you.

Reading matters JB.  During the first 1-2 years of a life insurance policy payout can be contested by the insurance company following the death of the insured.  This is typically only successful after a lengthy court battle where the burden will be on the insurance company to demonstrate that the applicant defrauded them in the application process.  After that, the insurance company has exactly zero recourse and must pay under all circumstances in every case where death is properly established, as determined by court, if necessary. (Think of the film Cast Away for a possible scenario.)    That's despite any malfeasance by the insured at any point in the process.  Including fraud.  By law.  In every state.  The purpose of these laws are to clarify that 'life insurance pays out at death, no question, no option'.  The only carve out to that absolute is the contestability period I described.  Thank you for allowing me to educate you on the subject.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 01:55:57 PM by jsglow »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2018, 02:26:38 PM »
Reading matters JB.  During the first 1-2 years of a life insurance policy payout can be contested by the insurance company following the death of the insured.  This is typically only successful after a lengthy court battle where the burden will be on the insurance company to demonstrate that the applicant defrauded them in the application process.  After that, the insurance company has exactly zero recourse and must pay under all circumstances in every case where death is properly established, as determined by court, if necessary. (Think of the film Cast Away for a possible scenario.)    That's despite any malfeasance by the insured at any point in the process.  Including fraud.  By law.  In every state.  The purpose of these laws are to clarify that 'life insurance pays out at death, no question, no option'.  The only carve out to that absolute is the contestability period I described.  Thank you for allowing me to educate you on the subject.

lol. Wifey was DEAD WRONG. Sorry, dude.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2018, 02:58:19 PM »

JB, chili says you're a nice guy.  Let it go.  I simply gave you the facts.  Have a great day.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2018, 03:06:29 PM »
JB, chili says you're a nice guy.  Let it go.  I simply gave you the facts.  Have a great day.

All the best to you and chick!

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2018, 03:08:08 PM »
You’re all a bunch o’ nerds. 😜

Get me some popcorn 🍿

Cage match. The Accountant v The Accountant.   

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2018, 03:10:22 PM »
BTW, Glow is correct. We had an EE commit suicide (in his 20’s). Policy paid.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2018, 03:24:11 PM »
4 wives, eh?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2018, 03:26:06 PM »
4 wives, eh?

And never been married. The Legend

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2018, 03:29:22 PM »
  so now i'm confused and/or peeved at the same time-so life insurance pays out at the time of death, but then has up to 2 years to contest it? 

nice, my wife gets the payout on a policy i've dutifully paid for x years, but then ends up spending that and who knows how much more quite possibly on legal fees defending my death?

please tell me that's wrong
don't...don't don't don't don't

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2018, 03:32:18 PM »
Wrong

After two yeArs from issue, it can’t be contested

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2018, 03:33:16 PM »
4 wives, eh?

Welcome to the internet, haynar?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2018, 03:38:11 PM »
Wrong

After two yeArs from issue, it can’t be contested

thanks-i just googled it-if one commits suicide within 1-2 years(depending on the policy lingo) the ins. policy can be void.  however, can the ins. co. be dicks and hold up the policy if they want to raise questions within that say, 2 year period?  one may need an attorney, yes?  can the policy holder's beneficiary get their attorney fees back if/when the insured has been found to have died within the policy's guidelines?

btw-just removed a 7.5 lb brisket and 3 racks of ribs from ole smokey-i know, wrong thread ;) ;) ;)

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2018, 03:42:36 PM »

A simple internet search says you are wrong and Chick/Glow are right. 

http://time.com/money/3117698/how-life-insurance-policies-deal-with-suicide/

Pretty much confirms 100% of what they were saying.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2018, 03:46:56 PM »

Nope, completely wrong. Read.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2018, 03:47:20 PM »

i think this is what jay bee is contesting-

" I am not so sure that suicide voids life insurance policies any more, especially in cases where there is a history of mental illness."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2018, 03:48:22 PM »
  so now i'm confused and/or peeved at the same time-so life insurance pays out at the time of death, but then has up to 2 years to contest it? 

nice, my wife gets the payout on a policy i've dutifully paid for x years, but then ends up spending that and who knows how much more quite possibly on legal fees defending my death?

please tell me that's wrong

I think you squared yourself up and I apologize if I'm not communicating effectively enough.  There are NO outs for the insurance company for any reason once any policy matures past the 1-2 year 'contestable' period meaning 1-2 years after the insurance went in force.  They can't even complain.  Immediately thrown out of court, by law.  Only during the initial period can they raise an objection, and then are only successful when there's been a demonstrated fraud.  You simply don't see 5 year old policies tied up in court, ever, for any reason.  Families often need that money so that's the reason these laws exist.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2018, 03:50:49 PM »
I think you squared yourself up and I apologize if I'm not communicating effectively enough.  There are NO outs for the insurance company for any reason once any policy matures past the 1-2 year 'contestable' period meaning 1-2 years after the insurance went in force.  They can't even complain.  Immediately thrown out of court, by law.  Only during the initial period can they raise an objection, and then are only successful when there's been a demonstrated fraud.  You simply don't see 5 year old policies tied up in court, ever, for any reason.  Families often need that money so that's the reason these laws exist.

Bud, you're missing things. Good luck. It'll be OK