[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: "MU continues to move away from its roots"  (Read 14507 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
"MU continues to move away from its roots"
« on: May 25, 2018, 09:19:44 PM »
MU continues to move away from its roots.

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10936

Edit: Title

« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 07:41:43 AM by mu_hilltopper »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
Re: MU continues to move away from its roots
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 09:47:57 PM »

Bye.  Don't let the door hit you in the a$$.

Seriously, the guy came to school to get his philosophies validated.  He didn't come here to be challenged.  So the guy snowflaked out and will head somewhere else where he will feel warm and cozy.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 09:50:24 PM by #bansultan »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 10:15:10 PM »
  sounds pretty much like this message board   

sad but not surprising.  maybe that's the new way to show their "love" and "tolerance" and acceptance of "opposing views" 

don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 10:20:07 PM »

Bye.  Don't let the door hit you in the a$$.

Seriously, the guy came to school to get his philosophies validated.  He didn't come here to be challenged.  So the guy snowflaked out and will head somewhere else where he will feel warm and cozy.

well i guess the part where his "family will be hunted down" would bother me a little.  maybe they were just joking with him though??

who wouldn't want to be in the same fox hole with sully here-he's one tough hombre-eyn'a?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 11:47:44 PM »
Sorry that student felt that way. If the accusations of threats being made against him for him are true than that is particularly disturbing. But the rest of what he described was not "getting away from its roots." That all sounded like Jesuit values to me.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 05:38:13 AM »
Sorry that student felt that way. If the accusations of threats being made against him for him are true than that is particularly disturbing. But the rest of what he described was not "getting away from its roots." That all sounded like Jesuit values to me.

I had 10 Jesuit professors through my 4 years at MU. How many Jesuits still teach at MU?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 05:44:31 AM »
I had 10 Jesuit professors through my 4 years at MU. How many Jesuits still teach at MU?

http://www.marquette.edu/jesres/members-2.shtml

Not sure how to view this in light of the overall priest shortage though... 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 06:55:39 AM »
So, the kid makes a video bashing Marquette administrators, and then gets his feels hurt when those same administrators don't greet him enthusiastically when they cross paths on campus?
What a snowflake.

His first mistake was going to Marquette thinking it would be an echo chamber for his conservatism. Marquette never was that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2018, 07:15:48 AM »
Jesuit values, particularly in regards to service to others and preferential treatment for the poor, are not consistent with what is  considered 'conservative'  in the current political lexicon.

https://www.creighton.edu/fileadmin/user/StudentServices/SLIC/LEAD_Center/Jesuit_Values_PDF.pdf
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 07:40:28 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2018, 08:52:43 AM »
So, the kid makes a video bashing Marquette administrators, and then gets his feels hurt when those same administrators don't greet him enthusiastically when they cross paths on campus?
What a snowflake.

His first mistake was going to Marquette thinking it would be an echo chamber for his conservatism. Marquette never was that.

Exactly.  Its like he did zero research about Jesuits and never visited campus before arriving.

Likely, he read the word, "Catholic" and came up with his own ideas of what college was going to be like at Marquette.

I mean, I'd love to know what this kid's view of the current pontiff are, and does he agree? 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2018, 10:49:27 AM »
I had already seen that article. Someone  who for 4 years had complained about Marquette's "lack of Catholic values"  on the Marquette Parents Facebook page posted it as a final Eff You to the school after her daughter's graduation.

Make that the second to last Eff You. She also posted an article from a dubious website about the ten colleges with the highest rate of STDs. Marquette was number 4. Although there were stats galore, the article did not cite any sources.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 01:45:55 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2018, 11:01:31 AM »
I had already seen that article. Someone  who for 4 years had complained about Marquette's "lack of Catholic values"  on the Marquette Parents Facebook page posted it as a final Eff You to the school after her daughter's graduation.

Make that the second to last Eff You. She also posted an article from a dubious website about the ten colleges with the highest rate of STDs. Marquette was number 4. Although there were stats galore, he article did not cite any sources.

Owning the libs by paying $200K in tuition over 4 years.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2018, 12:36:06 PM »
This guy's expectations seem out of whack.  The humanities and the social sciences aren't exactly hotbeds of open-ended discussion, which is generally true at any university.   

And if he was hoping to attend a devoutly Catholic school, he should have consulted the list from the Cardinal Newman Society.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2018, 01:01:58 PM »
Jesuit values, particularly in regards to service to others and preferential treatment for the poor, are not consistent with what is  considered 'conservative'  in the current political lexicon.

https://www.creighton.edu/fileadmin/user/StudentServices/SLIC/LEAD_Center/Jesuit_Values_PDF.pdf

Brilliantly said.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2018, 01:13:19 PM »
  sounds pretty much like this message board   

sad but not surprising.  maybe that's the new way to show their "love" and "tolerance" and acceptance of "opposing views" 

You don't seem to have a clue what "acceptance of opposing views" is.  We accept that you *have* an opposing point of view, but that doesn't mean we are required to treat it as if it is logical, intelligent, or immune from critical analysis.

But anytime someone doesn't agree with your 1950s era ideas you cry and play the victim card. Sorry, tolerance doesn't mean stupid ideas can't be criticized.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2018, 01:25:04 PM »
When have the Jesuits ever been "conservative"?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2018, 02:58:13 PM »
When have the Jesuits ever been "conservative"?

The Inquisition?

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2018, 03:11:15 PM »

Very true!  Call me crazy but from my vantage point here in the Northeast Marquette seems to be far more Catholic and mission oriented than it's ever been and substaintally more than it's Jesuit and Catholic peer institutions.  Someone posted in another thread that MU today seems to be far more interested in being a social service organization that saves the world than a university and that certainly seems to be the case from where I sit too.  Hell every NYC Alum event these days has a mass or some kind of religious programming and it's really starting to get annoying.  I mean every once in while is ok but it's literally every event so I guess whoever runs it clearly is very religious. The Fordham, BC and Gtwon and ND events aren't like that at all (I know because I have siblings that attended 2 of the schools I mentioned) so if this kid thinks a Catholic school on the east or west coast is going to be more conservative (at least religiously if not politically) he's going to be in for a rude awakening.   He'll it was only 5 years ago or so that Wild rescinded the Arts and Sciences deanship to that woman from Seattle U, another Jesuit university if I'm not mistaken.  With regard to the McAdams thing, I'm firmly in the administration's camp and anyone that knows anything about the history of MU knows their position is not about free speech suppression.  To see press coverage comparing MU to these other schools on the east and west coasts where suppression of free speech is a really serious issue is laughable to anyone that knows anything about Marquette's history.  Any competent journalist with minimal effort would learn very quickly that Marquette isn't anything like some of these liberal hotbeds like Wesleyan and Middlebury, etc.  They need to do their jobs better.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 03:14:40 PM by Disco Hippie »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2018, 03:25:30 PM »
Very true!  Call me crazy but from my vantage point here in the Northeast Marquette seems to be far more Catholic and mission oriented than it's ever been and substaintally more than it's Jesuit and Catholic peer institutions.  Someone posted in another thread that MU today seems to be far more interested in being a social service organization that saves the world than a university and that certainly seems to be the case from where I sit too.  Hell every NYC Alum event these days has a mass or some kind of religious programming and it's really starting to get annoying.  I mean every once in while is ok but it's literally every event so I guess whoever runs it clearly is very religious. The Fordham, BC and Gtwon and ND events aren't like that at all (I know because I have siblings that attended 2 of the schools I mentioned) so if this kid thinks a Catholic school on the east or west coast is going to be more conservative (at least religiously if not politically) he's going to be in for a rude awakening.   He'll it was only 5 years ago or so that Wild rescinded the Arts and Sciences deanship to that woman from Seattle U, another Jesuit university if I'm not mistaken.  With regard to the McAdams thing, I'm firmly in the administration's camp and anyone that knows anything about the history of MU knows their position is not about free speech suppression.  To see press coverage comparing MU to these other schools on the east and west coasts where suppression of free speech is a really serious issue is laughable to anyone that knows anything about Marquette's history.  Any competent journalist with minimal effort would learn very quickly that Marquette isn't anything like some of these liberal hotbeds like Wesleyan and Middlebury, etc.  They need to do their jobs better.

Man you would be simply awful at running Marquette.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2018, 03:40:53 PM »
The Inquisition?

Mainly the Dominicans who started it 60 years before the Jesuits existed.  Although, the Jesuits certainly helped finish it. 

Did anyone see the CNN documentary series on the Popes?  I thought it was very well done and found it informative.  The Jesuits had a prominent portion in there, and not just on Francis.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2018, 04:35:16 PM »
You don't seem to have a clue what "acceptance of opposing views" is.  We accept that you *have* an opposing point of view, but that doesn't mean we are required to treat it as if it is logical, intelligent, or immune from critical analysis.

But anytime someone doesn't agree with your 1950s era ideas you cry and play the victim card. Sorry, tolerance doesn't mean stupid ideas can't be criticized.

i wasn't attacking you personally-why the need to attack me personally?

i wasn't around in the 50's but from what i've read and heard about that time isn't/wasn't all that bad.  as a matter of fact,  you could use a little of that 50's era manners or discipline yourself.

you and sully and the victim card-you guys take the same debate class?  oh, enough with the personal stuff though, right? 

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2018, 04:41:06 PM »

Sorry, I find this nonsensical
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

MUpugnacity

• Walk-On
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2018, 05:12:34 PM »
i wasn't attacking you personally-why the need to attack me personally?

i wasn't around in the 50's but from what i've read and heard about that time isn't/wasn't all that bad.  as a matter of fact,  you could use a little of that 50's era manners or discipline yourself.

you and sully and the victim card-you guys take the same debate class?  oh, enough with the personal stuff though, right?

Perhaps you’re failing to read/hear the perspective of anyone who wasn’t a white male in the 50s
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 05:22:40 PM by MUpugnacity »

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2018, 07:51:21 PM »

Thank you. Profound statement.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2018, 08:10:53 PM »
Perhaps you’re failing to read/hear the perspective of anyone who wasn’t a white male in the 50s

ummm...no.  i'm reading/hearing everyone on the board here, regardless of what their perspective is.  perhaps you haven't been around long enough to know me and/or my responses.  if smith, sully and 82 are your references, you have some homework to do-

you do realize that the 50's were considered the "golden age" of america, right?  stable families, low crime, economic growth and prosperity, wholesome tv shows...hate when that happens though, eyn'er?

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-12-25/news/ct-oped-1225-chapman-20111225_1_golden-age-crime-and-property-crime-homicide-rate

have a nice memorial weekend ;) ;)