[Today at 09:13:49 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Lennys Tap
[Today at 07:56:17 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: "MU continues to move away from its roots"  (Read 14516 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: "MU continues to move away from its roots"
« Reply #100 on: May 31, 2018, 07:35:12 PM »
To at least give some credence to what I think rocket may be getting at, or perhaps just because it's on a related note and I find it fascinating...

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2013/08/22/206622688/the-legacy-of-dunbar-high-school

An interesting case that is worthy of study today - Dunbar High School in DC, the first black high school in the country, was an academic powerhouse from its founding.  The number of prominent and successful graduates is hard to fathom, probably only matched today by the most elite prep schools.  In a sad and ironic twist, Brown v. Board actually was the biggest contributor in its sharp decline.

Of course that's a sample of one versus the larger net benefit for the entire country.  Have read some fascinating work on education reform when they pose the question "What lessons can we learn from Dunbar to apply today?"  There are even some statistical outliers today; under-funded, minority schools in places like Georgia and Louisiana whose records compare and exceed most white suburban schools.  Common themes appear to be strong leaders who are anything but "by the book", and enforcing standards to promote a culture of achievement, rather than to print the highest percentage of diplomas.  There are many places (DC area in particular) where they throw money into schools and nothing happens...other than incompetent administrators building up their pensions.

thank you mr. chapman.

i really wasn't trying to argue with anyone.  i was merely trying to throw some more food for thought if you will.  you see how some here get pretty unwound and that is unfortunate

sully:
    "I literally have NEVER heard anyone who wasn't a virulent racist say Brown v. Board of Education was anything but good.  How you can say "it was neither good nor bad" blows my f*cking mind.  It really does."

i feel honored to be the first because i am not a racist-not even close.  it doesn't matter how many here want so badly to plaster that label on me and others.  i feel sorry for those who need to denigrate others so they may feel better themselves.  i know what i am

tamu:
    "Rocket, I get there were unintended consequences with Brown v. BOE and not all the problems it sought to correct have been corrected....but they way you are presenting your argument makes it sound like you think that it would be better if segregation was still legalized."

i appreciate the benefit of doubt tamu, but let me be very clear-i was merely putting out a different angle to the ruling and where it has gotten us today.  those who deny the past are doomed to repeat it-i actually feel that black people got a raw deal here.  it diminished family involvement in their children's education and black teachers got the shaft, along with probably other things as well.  in my mind, of course segregation should have been legalized just as allowing all people to eat, drink and fraternize within and throughout all of society.  even drink from the same bubbler(water fountain).  there should be no debate about that.  as a matter of fact, real human beings should embrace others, regardless of race, color....we can learn from each other if we allow it
don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #101 on: May 31, 2018, 07:49:57 PM »
  thank you mr. chapman.

i really wasn't trying to argue with anyone.  i was merely trying to throw some more food for thought if you will.  you see how some here get pretty unwound and that is unfortunate

sully:
    "I literally have NEVER heard anyone who wasn't a virulent racist say Brown v. Board of Education was anything but good.  How you can say "it was neither good nor bad" blows my f*cking mind.  It really does."

i feel honored to be the first because i am not a racist-not even close.  it doesn't matter how many here want so badly to plaster that label on me and others.  i feel sorry for those who need to denigrate others so they may feel better themselves.  i know what i am

Never said you were a racist.  Stop being the eternal victim.

I think the idea that you are neutral on Brown v. Board of Education says more about you than I could.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #102 on: May 31, 2018, 09:23:30 PM »

Rocket longs for those good old days.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #103 on: May 31, 2018, 09:28:30 PM »

Never said you were a racist.  Stop being the eternal victim.

I think the idea that you are neutral on Brown v. Board of Education says more about you than I could.

you are a piece of work man!  you love to take things out of context, use parts of what defends your argument and then conveniently leave out the rest of the story.  btw, i see what you are doing when you throw the "victim" card at people-projection eyn'a?
don't...don't don't don't don't

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #104 on: May 31, 2018, 09:56:13 PM »
Rocket longs for those good old days.

I don't agree with much of what Mr. Rocket says, but this is crap and should stop.  Absolutely uncalled for.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2018, 09:58:12 PM »
  you are a piece of work man!  you love to take things out of context, use parts of what defends your argument and then conveniently leave out the rest of the story.  btw, i see what you are doing when you throw the "victim" card at people-projection eyn'a?

Yeah I don't think so.  When you say dumb things, don't be upset when people call you out for saying dumb things.

And I took nothing out of context. You said multiple times that you weren’t saying that Brown v Board was good or bad.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 10:02:39 PM by #bansultan »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2018, 09:58:59 PM »
I don't agree with much of what Mr. Rocket says, but this is crap and should stop.  Absolutely uncalled for.

Report it to the mods and let them handle it.

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2018, 10:32:11 PM »

Guy says nothing when the Chicos and Rockets come on here and spew their bigotry but is suddenly Mr. Snowflake when they get called on it.
Do yourself a favor and read this and then think about some guy in 2018 questioning it.

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/347/483/case.html

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2018, 10:43:19 PM »
Guy says nothing when the Chicos and Rockets come on here and spew their bigotry but is suddenly Mr. Snowflake when they get called on it.
Do yourself a favor and read this and then think about some guy in 2018 questioning it.

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/347/483/case.html

I challenge Rockets just yesterday?  What are you talking about?  He and I agree on about 20% of stuff.  Your picture was classless.  Yes, I sent to the moderator.  What is wrong with you? 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #109 on: May 31, 2018, 10:45:35 PM »
What is wrong with you?

I suffer neither bigots nor fools gladly.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #110 on: May 31, 2018, 10:46:19 PM »
This is why we can't have nice things.