collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cord cutting revisited  (Read 90325 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: Cord cutting revisited
« Reply #350 on: March 10, 2020, 03:11:56 PM »
Hmmm...this DTV news is interesting.

With YTTV, are you able to access regional sports networks?  Ie: will I be able to access MU games on FSWisconsin if I live out of state, like I am with the Sportspack on DTV? 

That has really been the only thing holding me back in recent years.

With YouTube TV, you will get the local market FS Regional, and the local market FS Regional plus channel.

Sometimes when the MU game is a FS Wisconsin game, the MU game will be carried on an out of market FS Regional or plus channel. It depends if the MU game conflicts with higher priority local programming. If your market has local NHL, NBA, MLB, college hoops team on that channel etc ..it may not get put on that channel(s). My market has 3 of those 4 conflicts. It is more likely to he carried on weekend day games sometimes.

You then would want to check the Fox Sports Go App etc...to try to find the game and log in as YTTV customer.

I switched to YTTV and previously had both satellite companies, cable etc...my only regret was not doing it sooner. It does have its challenges at times but not too much from a programming standpoint.

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
« Reply #351 on: March 10, 2020, 03:48:16 PM »
fuboTV Adds NHL Network, MLB Network & MLB Strike Zone

Unfortunately, fubo no longer offers the fox regional channels, so no fox WI anymore. I like all the soccer options on Fubo, but am looking to make a change. Want to be able to watch the Brewers games.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #352 on: March 10, 2020, 03:50:05 PM »
Unfortunately, fubo no longer offers the fox regional channels, so no fox WI anymore. I like all the soccer options on Fubo, but am looking to make a change. Want to be able to watch the Brewers games.

YTTV is your best bet. You won't have beIN, but will have FS WI.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #353 on: March 10, 2020, 06:04:17 PM »

YTTV is your best bet. You won't have beIN, but will have FS WI.

YTTV is very good.

As for an option on beIN if you're leaving Fubo I suggest Fanatiz. I use their app on the Amazon Fire stick and have access to beIN, beIN Espanol, and the extra beIN channels that carry French, Spanish, and Turkish league games. It also has the rights to the Argentinian, Ecudorean, and (I believe) Bolivian leagues.  It's $99 for a year. 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #354 on: March 10, 2020, 06:47:28 PM »
No. You'll probably get your local RSN, but there's no option (right now) to get out-of-market RSNs.

Well that kills it for me then.  Are there any "cord cutting" options that allow one to get regional sports networks?  PS Vue did, and was going to switch to that after a trial, and then PS killed that as well. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #355 on: March 10, 2020, 06:50:21 PM »
With YouTube TV, you will get the local market FS Regional, and the local market FS Regional plus channel.

Sometimes when the MU game is a FS Wisconsin game, the MU game will be carried on an out of market FS Regional or plus channel. It depends if the MU game conflicts with higher priority local programming. If your market has local NHL, NBA, MLB, college hoops team on that channel etc ..it may not get put on that channel(s). My market has 3 of those 4 conflicts. It is more likely to he carried on weekend day games sometimes.

You then would want to check the Fox Sports Go App etc...to try to find the game and log in as YTTV customer.

I switched to YTTV and previously had both satellite companies, cable etc...my only regret was not doing it sooner. It does have its challenges at times but not too much from a programming standpoint.

Yah, I live in MN and occasionally the FS Wisco games are on FSNorth, but I am just not willing to punt a handful of MU games.  At least until I have to, or find an option that allows regional sports networks.   
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #356 on: March 11, 2020, 08:13:07 AM »

Yep, hence why I put the local RSN's on the TV thread to know what games are in what market. The MU games are not a FS Wisconsin game like the Brewers/Bucks. Just a FOX Sports game on FSN.

I would not worry about Fox Sports Go in 2020-21 basketball season, right now. Those will be re-branded. Will Fox Sports programming like Big 12 football and extra Big East games fall on the Sinclair own stations. I would think that moves to FS2, with the new six year deal for the MWC for football and basketball with many games landing on FS2.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 08:16:24 AM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #357 on: March 11, 2020, 09:25:36 AM »
Yep, hence why I put the local RSN's on the TV thread to know what games are in what market. The MU games are not a FS Wisconsin game like the Brewers/Bucks. Just a FOX Sports game on FSN.

I would not worry about Fox Sports Go in 2020-21 basketball season, right now. Those will be re-branded. Will Fox Sports programming like Big 12 football and extra Big East games fall on the Sinclair own stations. I would think that moves to FS2, with the new six year deal for the MWC for football and basketball with many games landing on FS2.

In some markets, the local FS Regional Channel and the local college sports team will make a deal to air some games, a few, a dozen, depends on the market. These are games not picked up nationally. MU has very few of these games compared to some other markets that have many more because their National TV deal is not as strong.

As mentioned, sometimes other markets will pick up the MU game on their local/regional FS channel or plus channel. For example, I watched MU v St. John's on an FS plus channel. It was either boxing or car racing was bumped for it for a late morning, lunch time Saturday game. That channel however is not going to bump the local college sports or pro teams for out of market MU if they conflict. As much as I prefer many more Saturday night games for MU instead of so many day games, those few MU games would not be carried on FS Regional/Plus in other markets on those days and times. Too many conflicts.

For me, MU plays very few of these games per year to be a factor.

Pac 12 Network, BeIn sports are two channels I miss with YTTV. NFL Network had occasional games but otherwise I didn't watch it.

We were however no longer getting FS Regionals with a different carrier. It was an easy switch, despite losing these few other channels. Most MU games are easy access which is good.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #358 on: March 11, 2020, 09:47:32 AM »
Still, might be a moot point next year as this could all be moving to FS2. We might know more by the end of May as the first three weeks of the college football TV schedule comes out.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #359 on: March 11, 2020, 09:51:53 AM »
I'm three weeks new to YTTV. It's been a great move to the house. Glad I able to still get ESPN, FOX Sports, NBC Sports Apps on Roku and my phone as it does not count as one of the three stream via YTTV.

Did YTTV at one point have the Pac 12 Networks?
-Bill Walton

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #360 on: March 11, 2020, 10:15:04 AM »
I'm three weeks new to YTTV. It's been a great move to the house. Glad I able to still get ESPN, FOX Sports, NBC Sports Apps on Roku and my phone as it does not count as one of the three stream via YTTV.

Did YTTV at one point have the Pac 12 Networks?

I don't believe so. What bothers me is that Roku does not carry the Pac 12 Now app.  There are many free non subscriber games on that app. Roku does not have it. I do not know why. I had to watch a game on there recently on my phone instead.

I used to watch a lot of Pac 12 Network on Dish.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #361 on: March 11, 2020, 11:41:24 AM »
What items are free on Pac 12 Now app? Can't be football and basketball.
-Bill Walton

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #362 on: March 11, 2020, 11:44:22 AM »
What items are free on Pac 12 Now app? Can't be football and basketball.

This past weekend for example, the USC Baseball Classic which included UCLA, Vanderbilt, TCU. All Pac 12 team games were on there. Some events are free on the app and some require subscription.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #363 on: March 11, 2020, 12:15:18 PM »
This past weekend for example, the USC Baseball Classic which included UCLA, Vanderbilt, TCU. All Pac 12 team games were on there. Some events are free on the app and some require subscription.

Softball games I hope as well. I download it to give it a try. Thanks!
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #364 on: March 27, 2020, 07:16:04 AM »
Email from YouTube TV

We've been working with our friends at EPIX to provide you with an extended free preview of their channel.
From March 26 through April 25, you can enjoy original series like Pennyworth, Slow Burn, or Belgravia, which premieres April 12, and hundreds of movies, including twenty-one Bond movies to watch from April 1.
EPIX will be added and removed from your service with no action needed on your part. And, not to worry, we will not automatically bill you for EPIX after this time. You can add it back if you like it but that's totally up to you.
-Bill Walton

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #365 on: March 27, 2020, 12:16:43 PM »
Email from YouTube TV

We've been working with our friends at EPIX to provide you with an extended free preview of their channel.
From March 26 through April 25, you can enjoy original series like Pennyworth, Slow Burn, or Belgravia, which premieres April 12, and hundreds of movies, including twenty-one Bond movies to watch from April 1.
EPIX will be added and removed from your service with no action needed on your part. And, not to worry, we will not automatically bill you for EPIX after this time. You can add it back if you like it but that's totally up to you.

Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #366 on: March 27, 2020, 12:43:55 PM »
Email from YouTube TV

Glad I switched to YTTV a while back. 8-)

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #367 on: March 27, 2020, 01:45:17 PM »
James Bond movies are also free on Pluto TV.
-Bill Walton

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #368 on: April 03, 2020, 07:30:11 AM »
Article on consumers paying for sports tv that they aren't getting.

https://twitter.com/kevinmdraper/status/1245780851247497216?s=19

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #369 on: April 03, 2020, 08:09:12 AM »

Good article. Even better bar photo.
But I like to throw handfuls...

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #370 on: April 03, 2020, 08:13:54 AM »

"This is not the case in England, where pay television subscribers are more easily able to buy sports channels separately. Sky Sports, the main provider of televised sports, is allowing customers to pause their subscription payments as long as sports remain postponed."

Hold on.  We were all told by someone very knowledgeable that having ESPN, etc. as free standing channels would be impossible.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #371 on: April 03, 2020, 09:06:29 AM »

"This is not the case in England, where pay television subscribers are more easily able to buy sports channels separately. Sky Sports, the main provider of televised sports, is allowing customers to pause their subscription payments as long as sports remain postponed."

Hold on.  We were all told by someone very knowledgeable that having ESPN, etc. as free standing channels would be impossible.

The other nice thing is the Sky Sports model allows for much better coverage of the game. Way WAY WAAAAY less commercial interruption and less needless filler fluff like pregame crap. If you've ever gotten to watch the The Open presented by her Majesty on Sky you'd see how it blows ESPN out of the water.
But I like to throw handfuls...

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #372 on: April 05, 2020, 06:47:35 AM »
I tried to get YTTV but it won't work through my VPN. I googled around for a VPN that's supposed to work with it and ExpressVPN was highly recommended.  Bought it.  Set it up.  It works great.  Subscribed to YTTV... blocked. 

Because Fox Sports Go is also blocked  I missed several MU games last year. 

First solution is that MU needs to be in the top 4 in the league, so they don't end up on "Fox Sports South West Milwaukee Suburbs" and get on the real Fox Sports.  But given that's not going to happen for a couple more years (sorry, had to) I'm still looking for an offshore TV solution.

Any ideas?
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #373 on: April 05, 2020, 08:16:18 AM »
I tried to get YTTV but it won't work through my VPN. I googled around for a VPN that's supposed to work with it and ExpressVPN was highly recommended.  Bought it.  Set it up.  It works great.  Subscribed to YTTV... blocked. 

Because Fox Sports Go is also blocked  I missed several MU games last year. 

First solution is that MU needs to be in the top 4 in the league, so they don't end up on "Fox Sports South West Milwaukee Suburbs" and get on the real Fox Sports.  But given that's not going to happen for a couple more years (sorry, had to) I'm still looking for an offshore TV solution.

Any ideas?

Dumb question:  Do you really need to run a streaming service through a VPN? 
Have some patience, FFS.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #374 on: April 05, 2020, 08:49:37 AM »
When you are out of the USA 300 days per year, yes.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

feedback