collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cord cutting revisited  (Read 90013 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Cord cutting revisited
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2018, 04:15:36 PM »
That one is the killer for me, AFAIK only YT carries this

We get FSNorth on Sling in Madison.  MN games are carried on the main channel, but brewers, bucks & MU are carried on the alternate.

If you are looking for FS Arizona while living in Madison, you'd have to have a sports package---if that's offered.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2018, 05:37:24 PM »
Looks like DirectvNow just put in a VPN blocker.  It was working great from multiple overseas locations until this "upgrade".

Figured out how to get around it after some mucking around.  So, I used to have Directv plus individual subscriptions to NBA, NFL, etc.  All in it was over $250/month.  Now it's Directv Now at about $80/month and HBO /ESPN/Cinemax/Starz etc. all work also through Apple TV using Directv login.  The only ones that don't (yet) are TBS and TNT - they only work live.

So, huge savings, easier to use (through Apple TV), very good Directv Now app, and it works on phone, computer, apple TV, etc. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

mueron

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2018, 06:03:59 PM »
I looked at DirecTV Now, and while it has more channels (Youtube TV comes up a couple short) but it is pricier AND even the beta DVR seems way inferior to Youtube TV and I rarely watch anything other than sports live these days.

mueron, what is the real Youtube TV price? Says $40 a month, is it close to that actually once you factor in taxes, and anything else they take on.

I got in when it was $35 but that's it. Straight up $35 no taxes or additional fees.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2018, 07:36:09 PM »
I got in when it was $35 but that's it. Straight up $35 no taxes or additional fees.

Awesome, decision made, thanks!
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2018, 08:50:30 PM »

I looked at DirecTV Now, and while it has more channels (Youtube TV comes up a couple short) but it is pricier AND even the beta DVR seems way inferior to Youtube TV and I rarely watch anything other than sports live these days.

I would actually have gone for Youtube TV, but they don't have it in my area yet. I'm signing up for a prepaid 3 month plan on DirecTV Now at $35/month because it includes a free Apple TV 4K. Depending on how well the three months go, I may check to see if Youtube TV is available after that.

Fortunately I don't watch much TV in the summer, so I'll be fine for 3 months even if it sucks.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2019, 12:32:49 PM »
Haven't had cable for about four years now.  Low maintenance though; I'm set with an HD antenna, Amazon Prime, and Netflix.  I, for one, have also welcomed our Google Fiber overlords.

Google Overlords in Louisville go way of Pitino.  Google Fiber pulling out of Louisville.  https://www.fibre-systems.com/news/google-fiber-leaves-louisville-kentucky
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2019, 01:01:18 PM »
#1 thing I recommend to all people interested in cord cutting is to purchase an HDTV antenna.  They cost around ~$30 and will give you all of your local networks (Fox, CBS, NBC, ABC) in HD as well as a few other random channels.  For me this means local news and weather, football on Sundays, and primetime TV from the major networks.  This is a ONE TIME cost which is the biggest benefit.  Tons can be found on Amazon and they are not the old ugly rabbit ear antennas most people think of.  Often they can be put out of sight.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2019, 01:53:21 PM »
We just did the analysis a couple of months ago, and determined that by the time we pay for unbundled internet, hardware costs (HDTV antenna and a dvr for the local stations), Showtime (we have a several shows on Showtime we watch), and one of the many services (Sling, Hulu etc....) that we would be approaching the promotional costs of the providers, but would just have to switch services every couple of years. 

Our promotional deal was up with Spectrum so we ended up going to TDS.  Where we live it is supposedly fiber and gig speeds, but we do not get over 100 Mpbs.  But overall, the monthly cost was not that much greater than monthly internet access, Sling or Hulu, Showtime and the TIVO fee. 

Cord cutting certainly works if you do not watch a diverse group of channels or are willing to give some stuff up.

For us, not so much.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2019, 01:55:38 PM »
Cord cutting certainly works if you do not watch a diverse group of channels or are willing to give some stuff up.

Yep really what it comes down to.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2019, 02:52:27 PM »
We just did the analysis a couple of months ago, and determined that by the time we pay for unbundled internet, hardware costs (HDTV antenna and a dvr for the local stations), Showtime (we have a several shows on Showtime we watch), and one of the many services (Sling, Hulu etc....) that we would be approaching the promotional costs of the providers, but would just have to switch services every couple of years. 

Our promotional deal was up with Spectrum so we ended up going to TDS.  Where we live it is supposedly fiber and gig speeds, but we do not get over 100 Mpbs.  But overall, the monthly cost was not that much greater than monthly internet access, Sling or Hulu, Showtime and the TIVO fee. 

For us, not so much.

Just wait until the OTT platforms have to actually make money and charge accordingly, the gnashing of teeth is going to be interesting.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2019, 06:22:14 PM »
Google Overlords in Louisville go way of Pitino.  Google Fiber pulling out of Louisville.  https://www.fibre-systems.com/news/google-fiber-leaves-louisville-kentucky

No big deal. Taxpayers gave telecoms big bucks years ago to already have high speed infrastructure installed across the nation... Oh wait....

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2019, 06:26:08 PM »
No big deal. Taxpayers gave telecoms big bucks years ago to already have high speed infrastructure installed across the nation... Oh wait....

Yup, with timelines built in because magical unicorns don't exist where they rub unicorn horns and it happens in a year.  Trenches get dug, fiber is laid, towers are installed, plants are built.  That's called capital investment.....not sure you didn't include the time horizon in your quip. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2019, 07:27:36 PM »

The faster that high speed wireless and high speed wired internet are nationalized the better and cheaper itll be for everyone. Need to get the content creators out of the content transport business
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2019, 07:38:50 PM »

For us, not so much.

Where we found the savings was not so much in programing costs but rather in not having to rent 3 HD boxes with DVR. For Comcast in Chicago that is $60 / mo on it's own.

I now pay $60/ mo for ATT Fiber , $40 for DirecTVNow ($25/mo discount from AT&T unlimited cell Plan + no data cap since I have ATT Fiber), Free HBO from ATT. That comes out to $105ish after taxes where before Comcast had us at $160/mo.

I do agree 100% with a HD Antenna for locals.
Where
But I like to throw handfuls...

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2019, 08:28:26 PM »
cox cable and internet was costing me about $250/mo and limited ability to shut down the tv services while away.  switched to centurylink for half the price and almost double the mgbps. i bought the modem for $150.   hulu live with limited commercials and up to 2 devices per channel/show at the same time-$55/mo.  total saved-approx $150/mo

up here, i'm in the process of switching my office phones to verizon.  will cut my phone bill with spectrum in half.  adding hululive on my 8 t.v.'s to my existing account for an additional $14.99/mo.  my spectrum bill which was $510/month just went to about $220.  includes upping my internet speed to handle the extra bandwidth i may need for the t.v.s  might need an extender?  total saved-approx $300/mo

grand total saved-approx $450/mo or $5000/year+
don't...don't don't don't don't

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2019, 09:17:09 PM »
$510 a month for spectrum?!? That's a lot of cavities doc.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2019, 09:55:13 PM »
Yup, with timelines built in because magical unicorns don't exist where they rub unicorn horns and it happens in a year.  Trenches get dug, fiber is laid, towers are installed, plants are built.  That's called capital investment.....not sure you didn't include the time horizon in your quip.

I think you're missing the part where they didn't do what they said they would after taking the money

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2019, 10:19:48 PM »
$510 a month for spectrum?!? That's a lot of cavities doc.

cavities?  nope, that stuff is on the house ;) no charge for t.v. or internet
don't...don't don't don't don't

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2019, 01:23:16 AM »
#1 thing I recommend to all people interested in cord cutting is to purchase an HDTV antenna.  They cost around ~$30 and will give you all of your local networks (Fox, CBS, NBC, ABC) in HD as well as a few other random channels.  For me this means local news and weather, football on Sundays, and primetime TV from the major networks.  This is a ONE TIME cost which is the biggest benefit.  Tons can be found on Amazon and they are not the old ugly rabbit ear antennas most people think of.  Often they can be put out of sight.

There’s no such thing as an “HD Antenna.”  Any TV antenna will pick up SD and HD OTA broadcasts just the same. 

If you’re serious about OTA, you need a DB-4 or DB-8 antenna.  From my house, I get Milwaukee, Madison, Chicago and South Bend broadcasts - in beautiful HD - with a homemade DB-4 made from a 2x4, some old coat hangers and a few stainless steel screws. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2019, 02:37:08 AM »
There’s no such thing as an “HD Antenna.”  Any TV antenna will pick up SD and HD OTA broadcasts just the same. 

If you’re serious about OTA, you need a DB-4 or DB-8 antenna.  From my house, I get Milwaukee, Madison, Chicago and South Bend broadcasts - in beautiful HD - with a homemade DB-4 made from a 2x4, some old coat hangers and a few stainless steel screws.

Ya gotta be good at something, aina?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2019, 06:37:00 AM »
I think you're missing the part where they didn't do what they said they would after taking the money

The money is tied to reaching specific measured metrics over time.  Look, I get you hate corporate America and there is plenty to hate on, but not all is evil.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2019, 08:13:57 AM »
From my house, I get Milwaukee, Madison, Chicago and South Bend broadcasts - in beautiful HD - with a homemade DB-4 made from a 2x4, some old coat hangers and a few stainless steel screws. 

I'm jealous.  When I cut the cord, I faithfully bought a Tivo and antenna.

My problem, I'm 2 miles from every local transmitter.  You'd think that'd be fantastic, but instead, it's awful.  I've tried 5 different antennas .. in a bunch of locations and orientations.  I've tried bare wires and paperclips.  Nothing gets me consistent signals of the 5 major channels.   Got tired of watching DVR'd stuff that was all jumbled.

So .. I gave up on the Tivo and watch all locals via streaming. >:(

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2019, 08:37:12 AM »
Can’t believe no one has brought up Locast, the free app that streams all the broadcast channels. NYT covered the economics of broadcasting and the legality of the app a couple weeks ago. The short version for y’all too lazy to read it: it (and others like it) are likely here to stay, all the better for consumers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/31/business/locast-streaming-free-network-tv.amp.html

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2019, 08:56:12 AM »
I'm jealous.  When I cut the cord, I faithfully bought a Tivo and antenna.

My problem, I'm 2 miles from every local transmitter.  You'd think that'd be fantastic, but instead, it's awful.  I've tried 5 different antennas .. in a bunch of locations and orientations.  I've tried bare wires and paperclips.  Nothing gets me consistent signals of the 5 major channels.   Got tired of watching DVR'd stuff that was all jumbled.

So .. I gave up on the Tivo and watch all locals via streaming. >:(

I have a similar problem. I am relatively close to the local TV transmitters, but there is a large ridge not far behind my house that prevents the signal from getting to my house. I've tried a few things, but nothing gets me a decent signal. DTV antennas (or McGuyver workarounds) are great for most people, but don't work for everyone.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2019, 12:15:23 PM »
So apparently we are not out of the cord cutting program...yet.  I noticed that I do not get CBS Sports Network with our TDS package so I decided to try a free Youtube TV trial for Wed night's game.  My wife has been unhappy that we don't get Turner Movie Classics with our TDS package and is now binge watching that on Youtube TV. 

So I did some (more) comparisons.  With Youtube TV we would pick up a ton of sports channels that we currently do not get and only lose Food Network and HGTV.  We can pick those two up via Philo if we desire.  So YouTube is $40, Philo is $16 (maybe), showtime addon is $7.  So now just need to find reliable internet for around $50 and we could switch and not be out any money per month (maybe even save some if we do not add Philo) and get better sports options with unlimited online DVR capability.  Right now we are at about $125 per month total.  We might be able to get that down to $100(ish).