[Today at 07:42:14 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by Lennys Tap
[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cord cutting revisited  (Read 92386 times)

eroc830

• Scholarship Player
Re: Cord cutting revisited
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2019, 01:30:13 PM »
Does anyone know whether Fox Sports Wisconsin could be pulled from any of these providers depending on who buys them?  Disney is in the process of selling FS-WI (and other Fox Regional Sports Networks).  I have Spectrum now and have looked at all the other options including DirecTV which I think I can get a decent introductory rate for a 2 year commitment.  My concern is if FS-WI gets sold could it get pulled from all these providers?  I asked an ATT/DirecTV rep yesterday and they didn't really know the answer.  Maybe I'm overthinking this.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2019, 01:49:11 PM »
Does anyone know whether Fox Sports Wisconsin could be pulled from any of these providers depending on who buys them?  Disney is in the process of selling FS-WI (and other Fox Regional Sports Networks).  I have Spectrum now and have looked at all the other options including DirecTV which I think I can get a decent introductory rate for a 2 year commitment.  My concern is if FS-WI gets sold could it get pulled from all these providers?  I asked an ATT/DirecTV rep yesterday and they didn't really know the answer.  Maybe I'm overthinking this.

After much thinking, I think you are overthinking this. Whoever buys will want it in as many homes as possible.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2019, 01:53:40 PM »

The contracts stay in tact regardless of who buys them.  The bigger issue is down the road with the renewals as the cost of these RSNs and the people that actually watch them is completely out of balance.  The share of a customer's bill for RSNs is high, but the number or people that watch is low.  Thus, the costs are distributed unfairly to people who don't watch.  More and more you will seem distributors not carry that content. It is why some of the cord cutting ventures are NOT carrying specific RSNs, because of the cost. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2019, 08:53:41 PM »
Got an email from DTV Now that my package is being discontinued (JB? 4ever? ZFB? Who's going there first?), but I can keep it for now for an extra $10/month. I currently pay $40, and it's the basic option.

Check this list of channel lineups. Live a Little is my current one. The other 2 are new. I don't know what the hell happened, but they just made their product massively less appealing.

https://cdn.directv.com/content/dam/dtv/gmott/html/dynamic_channels/compare-packages-account-dynamic-livealittle.html

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2019, 09:59:24 PM »
Got an email from DTV Now that my package is being discontinued (JB? 4ever? ZFB? Who's going there first?), but I can keep it for now for an extra $10/month. I currently pay $40, and it's the basic option.

Check this list of channel lineups. Live a Little is my current one. The other 2 are new. I don't know what the hell happened, but they just made their product massively less appealing.

https://cdn.directv.com/content/dam/dtv/gmott/html/dynamic_channels/compare-packages-account-dynamic-livealittle.html

Agreed.  I haven't been the biggest fan of their app to begin with so this may be what gets me to switch over to Youtube TV. 

Chicos has been calling for these price increases for a long time now.  I fear the ride may be over for us cord cutters sooner rather than later.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2019, 10:08:11 PM »
Agreed.  I haven't been the biggest fan of their app to begin with so this may be what gets me to switch over to Youtube TV. 

Chicos has been calling for these price increases for a long time now.  I fear the ride may be over for us cord cutters sooner rather than later.

Oh it is going to happen.  Everyone is losing their ass.  Several will bail out entirely.  The only ones making money are the programmers (Disney, Fox, etc).  Can’t run a business at a loss.  As more and more people cut the chord, then the ball swings and the rates will go up on OTT.  Pure economics.  Will still take some time and some good deals for some time, but the cost of content cannot be absorbed at a loss like everyone is doing now.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 11:32:10 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2019, 11:29:09 PM »

Sorry to hear about your viewing options, I guess.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2019, 08:51:59 AM »

Dat's watt happens wen ya get older, orr sew eye've herd. Pay da bread, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUWarrior2007

• Walk-On
« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2019, 11:24:22 AM »
Our family just cancelled Directv this last week, and upgraded our internet speed to 100 mbs.  We got a Firestick and now have HuluLive for about half of what we were paying for Directv.  The increased internet speed only ran us an additional $10.00/month.  Net savings is like $40-$50 a month, and so far we aren't missing anything that we would have gotten on Directv.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2019, 06:52:42 PM »
Our family just cancelled Directv this last week, and upgraded our internet speed to 100 mbs.  We got a Firestick and now have HuluLive for about half of what we were paying for Directv.  The increased internet speed only ran us an additional $10.00/month.  Net savings is like $40-$50 a month, and so far we aren't missing anything that we would have gotten on Directv.

Any reason you chose Hulu over DirecTVNow and YoutubeTV?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2019, 06:05:56 PM »
Oh it is going to happen.  Everyone is losing their ass.  Several will bail out entirely.  The only ones making money are the programmers (Disney, Fox, etc).  Can’t run a business at a loss.  As more and more people cut the chord, then the ball swings and the rates will go up on OTT.  Pure economics.  Will still take some time and some good deals for some time, but the cost of content cannot be absorbed at a loss like everyone is doing now.

YouTubeTV just announced big increases.  As I said, not only is it going to happen...it has to.  Pure economics on the costs of goods.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/04/10/youtube-tv-gets-some-new-channels-and-a-hefty-price-hike/

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2019, 06:37:46 PM »

YouTubeTV just announced big increases.  As I said, not only is it going to happen...it has to.  Pure economics on the costs of goods.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/04/10/youtube-tv-gets-some-new-channels-and-a-hefty-price-hike/

Honestly, for what they've added $50 a month is still a steal. Once my deal with DirecTV ends in 9 months I'm moving to YoutubeTV without hesitation
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2019, 07:22:58 PM »
I watch about 5-10 channels, tops.  Let me buy those, and I'm fine with all the others going dark.

Can you tell us again why we can't just buy channels ala carte? 

I mean .. cord cutting/slim bundles/OTT v1.0 is not going well any more.  What does v2.0 look like?

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2019, 07:29:12 PM »
Even with price increases not having box rental fees still saves me $45 per month. Paying $45 a month for every channel I want to watch on any of my tv's plus DVR for my 3 tv's or on any of my devices is great. Plus since I have ATT Fiber Internet & Cell Phone what I stream doesn't count against my data cap.  All in after taxes I pay $115 for 100mb up & down + tv works for me.

Also, channel owners will only sell their channels in a group. For example, Viacom won't let you just buy MTV - you have to buy them all.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 07:36:19 PM by Chili »
But I like to throw handfuls...

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2019, 07:48:49 PM »

Except that the price increase of $10 coincides with a slew of new channels being added.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2019, 08:10:29 PM »
I've been paying 50 dollars for VUE. I'll have to look into the others later tonight to decide which one I go with next. Still a hell of a lot cheaper then cable. I'm running 5 boxes with all sports. Easily would have been north of 200 a month at spectrum.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2019, 08:11:11 PM »
With the amount the channels are charging distributors they have no choice.  It will eventually become a parity situation, just a matter of how many years it takes.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2019, 08:27:04 PM »
Any reason you chose Hulu over DirecTVNow and YoutubeTV?

hulu-live for about $55/mo. able to stream unlimited devices.  switched to centurylink internet(Az.) increased mbps from 80- to 150 at half the price of cox and got rid of their tv. obviously.   saves me almost $150/mo. and i can turn it on/off at will.  spectrum only allowed me to turn it off twice but still charged me a fee just to hold.   

doing the same up here-only keeping spectrum internet cuz centurylink sucks i guess.  realized savings between office and home-between $200-250/mo.  again, unlimited streaming.  switched office phones from spectrum to verizon-saving $120/mo.

total savings-$$$
don't...don't don't don't don't

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2019, 08:28:20 PM »
Even with price increases not having box rental fees still saves me $45 per month. Paying $45 a month for every channel I want to watch on any of my tv's plus DVR for my 3 tv's or on any of my devices is great. Plus since I have ATT Fiber Internet & Cell Phone what I stream doesn't count against my data cap.  All in after taxes I pay $115 for 100mb up & down + tv works for me.

Also, channel owners will only sell their channels in a group. For example, Viacom won't let you just buy MTV - you have to buy them all.

I am paying $600 a year for internet, and I find that to be  .. reasonable.  My family gets a huge amount of utility out of that $600, and I'm OK with that fee.

I'm also paying $600 a year for a streaming service.  That's a crap-ton of money for what is basically entertainment .. 90+% of which, I do not watch.  Raise that to $700, and I'm out.

I understand that Viacom (et al) doesn't want to sell me just MTV, but that's too farging bad.  I want to watch Teen Mom and that's all.  And maybe I'll forgo that entirely and Viacom will have zero dollars from me. 

And don't get me started on ESPN and their Ocho channels, of which I haven't watched since FS took over the Big East.    It absolutely kills me that $~150 of my $600 goes to a set of ESPN channels I never watch.

I get it, I get it.  Viacom and Disney, et al, bundle.  And this structure supports tons of minor channels that wouldn't make it otherwise. 

As I said .. that was cable delivery v1.0.  What does v2.0 look like? 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2019, 09:31:37 PM »
I am paying $600 a year for internet, and I find that to be  .. reasonable.  My family gets a huge amount of utility out of that $600, and I'm OK with that fee.

I'm also paying $600 a year for a streaming service.  That's a crap-ton of money for what is basically entertainment .. 90+% of which, I do not watch.  Raise that to $700, and I'm out.

I understand that Viacom (et al) doesn't want to sell me just MTV, but that's too farging bad.  I want to watch Teen Mom and that's all.  And maybe I'll forgo that entirely and Viacom will have zero dollars from me. 

And don't get me started on ESPN and their Ocho channels, of which I haven't watched since FS took over the Big East.    It absolutely kills me that $~150 of my $600 goes to a set of ESPN channels I never watch.

I get it, I get it.  Viacom and Disney, et al, bundle.  And this structure supports tons of minor channels that wouldn't make it otherwise. 

As I said .. that was cable delivery v1.0.  What does v2.0 look like? 

Kail is such a slot, hope the beef between her and Janelle gets nasty.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #95 on: June 12, 2019, 11:21:11 AM »
Can any of you nerdbaits help explain if and how having Fiber internet would impact streaming?

I may soon have Xfinity fiber and may go to YouTubeTV or another streaming service.. will the lag still be CRAZY for live sports (crazy = 15 seconds)?

Will having Fiber make a big difference in doing anything for me???
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #96 on: June 12, 2019, 12:29:34 PM »
Can any of you nerdbaits help explain if and how having Fiber internet would impact streaming?

I may soon have Xfinity fiber and may go to YouTubeTV or another streaming service.. will the lag still be CRAZY for live sports (crazy = 15 seconds)?

BeeJay, fiber is gonna help wit yo constipation, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #97 on: June 12, 2019, 12:58:23 PM »
BeeJay, fiber is gonna help wit yo constipation, aina?

I’ve got the opposite issue, my man. In fact, on the toilet right now.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #98 on: June 12, 2019, 01:58:44 PM »
I’ve got the opposite issue, my man. In fact, on the toilet right now.

God, Scoop is magnificent
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #99 on: June 12, 2019, 02:05:18 PM »

Maybe yes, likely no.

Fiber has extremely low latency.  (You'll be happy with your Fortnite/Apex ping times.)  But latency is not a big deal for streaming.

Streaming video buffers up X seconds of video.   Fiber will fill that buffer quickly and efficiently, but it's still buffered, which means the sporting event you are watching NOW happened 5-10-20 seconds ago, whatever the buffer value is.

So .. if you're looking to watch sports in "real time" .. fiber versus cable won't have much (any) of an effect on that "lag." 

feedback